Serena wins 336th Grand Slam singles match

StephenJ

May 30, 2019, 9:39:06 AM5/30/19
That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.

Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.

She won't win this event, but we should just appreciate her while she's
still around.

--
before agriculture, food-finding was the only occupation
for humans.

- Alan Weisman

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 9:55:44 AM5/30/19
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:39:06 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.
>
> Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.
>
> She won't win this event, but we should just appreciate her while she's
> still around.

But she has 46 slam losses against 23 slam titles.
Far worse than the great Steffi Graf who lost only 32 times and has 22 slam titles. And now consider that Steffi suffered 7 defeats at age 13/15, an age when Serena didn't play yet!

So a truly fair comparison is:
Serena 23 wins and 47 losses
Steffi 22 wins and 25 losses

That is further proof why most fans consider Steffi to be the greatest. Even many US Americans and black people see it this way.

Max

> > —
> > “I’ve never seen a woman with this aura in my life.”
> > (David Letterman, US talk show host, on Steffi Graf, 2009)

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 10:07:59 AM5/30/19
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 8:55:44 AM UTC-5, Calimero wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:39:06 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> > That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.
> >
> > Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.
> >
> > She won't win this event, but we should just appreciate her while she's
> > still around.
>

> But she has 46 slam losses against 23 slam titles.
> Far worse than the great Steffi Graf who lost only 32 times and has 22 slam titles. And now consider that Steffi suffered 7 defeats at age 13/15, an age when Serena didn't play yet!
>
> So a truly fair comparison is:
> Serena 23 wins and 47 losses
> Steffi 22 wins and 25 losses
>
> That is further proof why most fans consider Steffi to be the greatest. Even many US Americans and black people see it this way.

You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5. And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.

It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.

Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 10:18:40 AM5/30/19
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 4:07:59 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 8:55:44 AM UTC-5, Calimero wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:39:06 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> > > That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.
> > >
> > > Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.
> > >
> > > She won't win this event, but we should just appreciate her while she's
> > > still around.
> >

> > But she has 46 slam losses against 23 slam titles.
> > Far worse than the great Steffi Graf who lost only 32 times and has 22 slam titles. And now consider that Steffi suffered 7 defeats at age 13/15, an age when Serena didn't play yet!
> >
> > So a truly fair comparison is:
> > Serena 23 wins and 47 losses
> > Steffi 22 wins and 25 losses
> >
> > That is further proof why most fans consider Steffi to be the greatest. Even many US Americans and black people see it this way.
> >
> You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5.

4 or 5 more losses or what do you mean?
I don't think so, she won't play in 2020 anymore.

> And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
>
> It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.

North American has only 350 of 7,700 million people on this planet.
That is less than 4 %.

> Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.

She is so humble!
How sweet!!

Max

“Democrats fear Barr, you can smell it.“
(Washington Post, May 2nd, 2019)

*skriptis

May 30, 2019, 10:35:05 AM5/30/19
Calimero <calim...@gmx.de> Wrote in message:
Is the goal to:
a) win most slams, or
b) achieve best win-loss record in a certain time frame?

If you insist that the goal is b), that's ok with me but are you
sure you'll make a common ground with others on the duration of
that time frame?

You may say it's 7 years, other might say, no it's 10. How do you
compromise there?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 10:44:39 AM5/30/19
The goal is to win every match.
Plus the Golden Grand Slam.

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 10:56:20 AM5/30/19
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 9:18:40 AM UTC-5, Calimero wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 4:07:59 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:

> > > But she has 46 slam losses against 23 slam titles.
> > > Far worse than the great Steffi Graf who lost only 32 times and has 22 slam titles. And now consider that Steffi suffered 7 defeats at age 13/15, an age when Serena didn't play yet!
> > >
> > > So a truly fair comparison is:
> > > Serena 23 wins and 47 losses
> > > Steffi 22 wins and 25 losses
> > >
> > > That is further proof why most fans consider Steffi to be the greatest. Even many US Americans and black people see it this way.
> > >
> > You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5.
>
> 4 or 5 more losses or what do you mean?

4 or 5 more slams... She is the favorite at AO, Wimbledon, and USO for next 3-4 years. You can't always rely on Kerber and Osaka to stop her.

> I don't think so, she won't play in 2020 anymore.

That's what people have been saying since 2012... I see no reason for her to not continue as long as she feels she can skip all the tune ups and still win slams. She is making deep runs... she is not falling in the first week of the slams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serena_Williams_career_statistics#Singles

She has made 2 slams finals and 1 QF in her last three slams. Her weakness is at the FO. She was won 6 of the 14 previous slam she has played and she 4 other finals, 2 SF, 1 QF and 14R.

She is not slowing down in anyway.

> > And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
> >
> > It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.
>
> North American has only 350 of 7,700 million people on this planet.
> That is less than 4 %.

I agree. But they influence the rest of the world with their media. And they are English speaking. Makes a ton of difference. 3 of the 4 slams come from English speaking countries.

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 10:57:06 AM5/30/19
My formula is simple. Chose the best 7 years of win-loss. That is consistent for everyone.

*skriptis

May 30, 2019, 10:59:51 AM5/30/19
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
It's not for those who had exactly 8 same great years.

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 11:38:08 AM5/30/19
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 4:56:20 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 9:18:40 AM UTC-5, Calimero wrote:

> > > You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5.
> >
> > 4 or 5 more losses or what do you mean?
>
> 4 or 5 more slams... She is the favorite at AO, Wimbledon, and USO for next 3-4 years. ...

You are demented.

Max

„Multiple independently produced datasets confirm that between 1880 and 2012, the global average (land and ocean) surface temperature increased by 0.85 °C. Since 1979 the rate of warming has approximately doubled (0.13 °C per decade, against 0.07 °C per decade).“
(Climate expert „Raja“ extrapolating the anthropogenic temperature rise until 2100 to about 0.48 °C, rec.sport.tennis, April 29, 2019).

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 12:45:17 PM5/30/19
On 30/05/2019 11:39 pm, StephenJ wrote:
> That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.
>
> Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.

That is an amazing stat when you consider how dominant Navratilova was.

Hope Serena can win 2019 USO, 20 yrs after her 1st in 1999. When you
consider the cream of all time greats like Graf/Evert/Navratilova/Court
all won their slams over a 12 yr span (coincidence?), Serena's 20 yr
span would be quite something.

Ken Rosewall went 19 yrs between AO's - 1953-1972, but the 1st was
amateur & the 2nd was a depleted field where only 8 non-Australian men
were in the draw (beat Mal Anderson in the final).

---
https://www.avg.com

StephenJ

May 30, 2019, 12:48:10 PM5/30/19
On 5/30/2019 8:55 AM, Calimero wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:39:06 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
>> That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.
>>
>> Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.
>>
>> She won't win this event, but we should just appreciate her while she's
>> still around.
>

> But

BWAHAHAHA!

Bye Bye NO GOAT STEFF!

LMAO !!!!

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 12:48:17 PM5/30/19
to soccerfan777
Serena's longevity at the elite level is simply phenomenal. She's been
able to maintain slam winning form far longer than any of the greats
before her. You have to respect that.

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 12:50:55 PM5/30/19
Poor Connolly rates a zero : (

--
"A GOAT who isn't BOAT can never become GOAT if he plays alongside BOAT"

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 12:54:04 PM5/30/19
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:48:17 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:
> On 31/05/2019 12:07 am, soccerfan777 wrote:

> >> But she has 46 slam losses against 23 slam titles.
> >> Far worse than the great Steffi Graf who lost only 32 times and has 22 slam titles. And now consider that Steffi suffered 7 defeats at age 13/15, an age when Serena didn't play yet!
> >>
> >> So a truly fair comparison is:
> >> Serena 23 wins and 47 losses
> >> Steffi 22 wins and 25 losses
> >>
> >> That is further proof why most fans consider Steffi to be the greatest. Even many US Americans and black people see it this way.
> >>
> > You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5. And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
> >
> > It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.
> >
> > Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.
> >

> Serena's longevity at the elite level is simply phenomenal.

Don't think it matters. If you stick around for long you would eventually have longevity.

*skriptis

May 30, 2019, 12:55:58 PM5/30/19
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:48:17 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:

>> > You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5. And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
>> >
>> > It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.
>> >
>> > Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.
>> >

>> Serena's longevity at the elite level is simply phenomenal.
>
> Don't think it matters. If you stick around for long you would eventually have longevity.

Very smart thing to say. All you need to do is stick around for
long and you'll win slams.

StephenJ

May 30, 2019, 12:57:32 PM5/30/19
On 5/30/2019 11:45 AM, Whisper wrote:
> On 30/05/2019 11:39 pm, StephenJ wrote:
>> That's 30 more than Martina Navratilova won.
>>
>> Just another statistic on the GOAT pile for Serena.
>>

> That is an amazing stat when you consider how dominant Navratilova was.

Yes, MN was dominant and also had the longevity, she was a top player
for almost 20 years.

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 1:01:32 PM5/30/19
Especially in this current arse-clown era.

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 1:38:59 PM5/30/19
Yes, when you are a truly great player and stick around for long in an era with no other great player you‘ll win slams.
Take Navratilova. Without Graf and Seles being there in 1987-1994 how many more slams would she have won? I‘d say at least 6 more.

Max

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 1:43:32 PM5/30/19
Yes good point.

bob

May 30, 2019, 2:37:52 PM5/30/19
for a very long time.

>Plus the Golden Grand Slam.

bob

bob

May 30, 2019, 2:38:43 PM5/30/19
7 is random.

bob

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 3:02:14 PM5/30/19
So is any other number.

*skriptis

May 30, 2019, 3:03:27 PM5/30/19
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
So why restrict yourself or anyone else?

Why just not let them play until they're done and count?

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 3:06:02 PM5/30/19
Because it is ridiculous. There is no calculation there, then... just compare the career win-loss percentage. Only dumbarses with low IQ will go for that.

*skriptis

May 30, 2019, 3:22:02 PM5/30/19
Only nerds get excited with percentages.

People are usually emotionally inspired when they lift trophies or
watch their favorites lifting trophies.

So. Trophies.

But if you really insist on numbers, win-loss is pretty much
retarded way. It's giving incomplete picture. There are other
models and you probably need to take all of them into
account.

Using only win-loss, it's easy to embarrass yourself.

E.g. Borg has open era best win-loss record in slams, but he's 5th
on the slam list. See the problem?

Otoh Connors has lots of slam match wins but he's not topping
trophy list.

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 3:48:55 PM5/30/19
7543 is nerdy... but also retarded.

*skriptis

May 30, 2019, 3:52:12 PM5/30/19
It counts trophies and measures goosebumps.

Nothing nerdy about it.

soccerfan777

May 30, 2019, 3:59:08 PM5/30/19
No it is a formula, which is even more nerdy than averaging win-loss for best 7 years.

StephenJ

May 30, 2019, 5:53:29 PM5/30/19
Because that doesn't fit their idiot Grafanatic narrative, LOL.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how many years it took Serena to
win 10 slams or 15 slams or 20 slams.

What matters is how many years it has taken Graf to win 23 slams - right
now, it's 37 years and counting, LOL.

StephenJ

May 30, 2019, 5:54:25 PM5/30/19
Exactly. You can't eat a percentage. Trophies are what count, nothing else.

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 5:57:57 PM5/30/19
Graf has 22 slams, one Golden Slam and many memorable slam final wins in a 17-year-long career.
Williams has 23 slams, zero Golden/Grand Slams and almost no memorable slam final wins in a 22-year-long career.

Which career do you think a player would have preferred - Steffi's or Serena's?
You have to admit - the answer is very easy.

Max

“Certainly, I knew how to clobber the ball and I was top 10 at that point, but I realized immediately that I was a so much worse tennis player than Steffi. … Steffi had shown me my limits in a devastating way and that was a good thing. I began to understand.“
(Andrea Petkovic on her practice session with 41-year-old Steffi Graf in 2011 in Las Vegas, Tennismagazin 06/19)

StephenJ

May 30, 2019, 5:59:26 PM5/30/19
On 5/30/2019 11:54 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:48:17 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:

>>> You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5. And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
>>>
>>> It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.
>>>
>>> Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.
>>>

>> Serena's longevity at the elite level is simply phenomenal.
>
> Don't think it matters. If you stick around for long you would eventually have longevity.

That's dumb even by rajarocker standards. I guess you think if Lendl had
been playing ATP tennis the last 30 years he'd have won more slams?

Hint - Slam winning longevity is a product of being able to win slams,
not a cause of it. Like all top champs before her, Serena will quit when
it is clear to her that is unlikely she will win more slams.

She's just been able to maintain that window far longer than anyone,
which is one reason she is the GOAT.

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 5:59:34 PM5/30/19
Golden Slams and matches like the FO 99 final count.
Again, which Serena slam final match will be remembered in 20 or 30 years from now?
Right, not even ONE.

Calimero

May 30, 2019, 6:19:50 PM5/30/19
> it is clear to her that is unlikely she will win more slams. ...

The GOAT quit when it was still clear that it was likely she would win more slams.
See, that is the difference between your US heartthrob and Stefanie Maria Graf.

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 8:08:13 PM5/30/19
On 31/05/2019 5:02 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 1:38:43 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 May 2019 07:57:04 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
>>>>
>>> My formula is simple. Chose the best 7 years of win-loss. That is consistent for everyone.
>>
>> 7 is random.
>>
>> bob
>
> So is any other number.

How about the number actually won?

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 8:10:13 PM5/30/19
On 31/05/2019 5:22 AM, *skriptis wrote:
> soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 2:03:27 PM UTC-5, *skriptis wrote:
>

> Only nerds get excited with percentages.
>
> People are usually emotionally inspired when they lift trophies or
> watch their favorites lifting trophies.
>

> So. Trophies.

Yep. All that matters.

Players don't cry when they reach a certain % match wins.

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 8:16:48 PM5/30/19
It's tennis' version of e=mc2. It stipulates all that matters are the 4
slams, & acknowledges a difference in perceived slam value relative to
each other. When you list the order of the greats as per 7543 nobody
really argues. There are factors like 'Laver woulda/coulda won more if
allowed', 'AO wasn't a true slam in Borg era' etc, but end of the day
7543 measures what was actually won at the most elite level, & the value
of that. The other discussions we have are valid & fun, but really
can't be more than coulda/woulda.

Whisper

May 30, 2019, 8:17:43 PM5/30/19
win/loss without the slam trophies to back it up is worth what?

bob

May 31, 2019, 11:54:51 AM5/31/19
On Thu, 30 May 2019 12:05:59 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
ok, 7 is for the "high iq" folks. lmao.

7 is random, no basis on anything tangible. i say 10. no wait, 12. no
wait, 3...

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 11:56:00 AM5/31/19
it's worth raja.

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 11:59:55 AM5/31/19
last yr's USO will be remembered for decades!

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 12:00:45 PM5/31/19
typo checker...

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 12:06:41 PM5/31/19
On Fri, 31 May 2019 02:48:08 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

>On 31/05/2019 12:07 am, soccerfan777 wrote:

>>> But she has 46 slam losses against 23 slam titles.
>>> Far worse than the great Steffi Graf who lost only 32 times and has 22 slam titles. And now consider that Steffi suffered 7 defeats at age 13/15, an age when Serena didn't play yet!
>>>
>>> So a truly fair comparison is:
>>> Serena 23 wins and 47 losses
>>> Steffi 22 wins and 25 losses
>>>
>>> That is further proof why most fans consider Steffi to be the greatest. Even many US Americans and black people see it this way.
>>>
>> You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5. And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
>>
>> It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.
>>
>> Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.
>>

>Serena's longevity at the elite level is simply phenomenal. She's been
>able to maintain slam winning form far longer than any of the greats
>before her. You have to respect that.

the bottom line of the measurement we're looking for is dominance. who
was the better player. who dominated more. who achieved more.

i brought it up a decade ago related to the men: was there a "sweet
spot" for how much you won VS a given time period? is 10 slams in 10
yrs better than 12 slams in 20 yrs?

i know everybody relevant to this discussion replied. it can be
googled. :-)

so total trophies VS better slam trophy %. do we want to measure
*dominance* or *achievement*.

the answer is obvious. a far higher slam win % measure dominance.
total slam count (or 7543 if you prefer) measures achievement. we're
back to BOAT vs GOAT - all over again.

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 12:07:05 PM5/31/19
On Thu, 30 May 2019 09:54:01 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
<zepf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:48:17 AM UTC-5, Whisper wrote:

>> > You make all good points. But the problem now is Serena will keep playing and increase her lead over Graf by 4 or 5. And people will ignore the fact that she played 7-10 years or 25 more slam more than Steffi.
>> >
>> > It is sad but true. Besides many here in North America (and that includes Canada) have never approved of Steffi as the GOAT. So they will find ways to not have her as GOAT, BOAT etc.
>> >
>> > Steffi herself has never been comfortable with the GOAT title. She announced Martina Navratilova is the GOAT after she retired.
>> >

>> Serena's longevity at the elite level is simply phenomenal.
>
>Don't think it matters. If you stick around for long you would eventually have longevity.

doesn't mean you'll keep winning though.

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 12:07:30 PM5/31/19
On Thu, 30 May 2019 18:55:57 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
<skri...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:

>soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>Very smart thing to say. All you need to do is stick around for
> long and you'll win slams.

well, raja is high IQ don't forget. :-)

bob

bob

May 31, 2019, 12:08:34 PM5/31/19
it's also a sign of the times - 40 is the new 30? 32?
fed/djok/rafa.

bob

Calimero

May 31, 2019, 1:30:35 PM5/31/19
Serena‘s third meltdown?
No people tend to forget crimes and other misdemeanors.

Max

bob

May 31, 2019, 2:28:45 PM5/31/19
On Fri, 31 May 2019 10:30:32 -0700 (PDT), Calimero
of course!

>No people tend to forget crimes and other misdemeanors.

nah

bob

StephenJ

Jun 1, 2019, 12:06:48 PM6/1/19