Fed Edberg practice

1 view

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 22, 2010, 9:52:20 PM10/22/10
Nice to see Fed and Edberg having a practice match/hit in Stockholm
this week... they certainly looked as if they enjoyed it...

wkhedr

Oct 23, 2010, 10:30:23 AM10/23/10

I wish Fed learns few things from the volleying GOAT (in my opinion,
Edberg is the best 've seen).

uly...@mscomm.com

Oct 23, 2010, 11:18:57 AM10/23/10
Edberg and McEnroe are hard for me to choose between. McEnroe was the
greater all-around player, obviously but Edberg was so elegant and
beautiful at the net. He was quicker laterally than Mac but didn't
quite have his exquisitive touch and hands at the net.

In 1985, I watched Edberg practice volleying for an hour with Joachm
Nystrom at the Indian Wells tournament. Nystrom was blasting balls at
Edberg's feet, lobbing him, dinking it... and Edberg's volleying was
beyond sublime. He was an amazing athlete and a classy gentleman.
Always sweet, modest and approachable off -court.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 23, 2010, 11:30:24 AM10/23/10

Edberg was an amazing net player to be sure... and he was panther like
on court... his movement from serve apex to full close onto net for a
volley was liquid grace personified... and truly, he was a true
gentlemen of the game...

TT

Oct 23, 2010, 11:40:49 AM10/23/10

He killed a linesjudge, though.

--
"I am no more a witch than you are a wizard, and if you take away my
life God will give you blood to drink"

Shakes

Oct 23, 2010, 1:08:48 PM10/23/10
On Oct 23, 8:18 am, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:

Sampras was not much behind them. Edberg couldn't deal with the lasers
from Agassi and Courier as well as Sampras did.

The way I see it, Edberg was better than Sampras in picking up the
dippers off his shoe laces, while Sampras was better at dealing with
flat, pure pace.

Shakes

Oct 23, 2010, 1:11:46 PM10/23/10

Yes, me too. I hope Fed takes it seriously, because he seems to have
lost that motivation again after failing to learn the correct
technique.

Scott

Oct 23, 2010, 2:34:40 PM10/23/10

when i watched Edberg i didn't think he was as good as Mac. a better
athlete, yes. however, Mac's quick hands and feel was out of this
world.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 23, 2010, 2:41:13 PM10/23/10

Ya, JMac was sort of a Bobby Fischer type... genius level, got to the
top and proceeded to self-implode failing to make happen what his
prodigious talent suggested would be his certain fate in the game
beyond what he DID achieve...

john

Oct 23, 2010, 7:48:20 PM10/23/10

"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sampras had a far bigger first and second serve which helped to make the
returns
from players like Agassi and Courier less effecive. And as Edberg aged in
mid 90s
his serve also reduced in its effectiveness.

john

Oct 23, 2010, 7:52:20 PM10/23/10

"Scott" <scot...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The fact is he was as good as Mac and his backhand volley was even better
than Mac's.

uly...@mscomm.com

Oct 23, 2010, 9:04:01 PM10/23/10
I agree that Edberg had the superior BH volley but there is no tennis
expert (or neophyte, for that matter), who would say Edberg was the
superior player to Mac. Their careers speak eloquently as to who was
the superior player. Edberg had a weak FH and his serve was vastly
inferior to McEnroe.

I despised Mac and adored Edberg, but my affection for Stefan doesn't
blind me to the fact that Mac was a genius. Edberg was a genius at the
net but not in other realms of the game.

Superdave

Oct 23, 2010, 9:39:54 PM10/23/10

he was best at hanging his tongue out like a pig and slobbering all over the court. yup.

Scott

Oct 23, 2010, 10:00:20 PM10/23/10
On Oct 23, 7:52 pm, "john" <jli...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "Scott" <scott...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

disagree with your "fact". Mac was better at the net. that's my
fact.

Superdave

Oct 23, 2010, 10:23:36 PM10/23/10

the fact is they were BOTH giants at the net and their is nothing to choose
between them.

3 billion people on earth would give one the slight edge and the other 3 billion
would give the other the slight edge so let's call it a draw.

Shakes

Oct 23, 2010, 11:13:49 PM10/23/10
On Oct 23, 6:39 pm, Superdave <the.big.rst.kah...@gmail.com> wrote:

that TOO, but in addition to what I mentioned.

john

Oct 24, 2010, 12:18:25 AM10/24/10

"uly...@msomm.com" <uly...@mscomm.com> wrote in message

>I agree that Edberg had the superior BH volley but there is no tennis
> expert (or neophyte, for that matter), who would say Edberg was the
> superior player to Mac. Their careers speak eloquently as to who was
> the superior player. Edberg had a weak FH and his serve was vastly
> inferior to McEnroe.

But Edberg also had much superior backhand and a better athlete. They
are pretty much evenly matched in their ability and limitation.

john

Oct 24, 2010, 12:22:05 AM10/24/10

"Scott" <scot...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I would give it to Mac for touch and feel but Edberg was superior in speed
in
moving into the net and had a little bit more punch on his backhand volley
than
Mac. Edberg is more textbook in the way he volleys and Mac is a bit more
inventive. There is no really a clear cut who is better than the other.

Scott

Oct 24, 2010, 1:15:47 AM10/24/10
> inventive.  There is no really a clear cut who is better than the other.- Hide quoted text -

i can agree to that. Edberg was definitely more athletic and more
"textbook."

Shakes

Oct 24, 2010, 1:23:03 AM10/24/10
On Oct 23, 9:18 pm, "john" <jli...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote in message

> >I agree that Edberg had the superior BH volley but there is no tennis
> > expert (or neophyte, for that matter), who would say Edberg was the
> > superior player to Mac. Their careers speak eloquently as to who was
> > the superior player. Edberg had a weak FH and his serve was vastly
> > inferior to McEnroe.
>
> But Edberg also had much superior backhand and a better athlete.  They
> are pretty much evenly matched in their ability and limitation.

Not at all. The only similarity/limitation is both could be
overpowered. But, otherwise, Mac was a better server and had a more
consistent ground game. Mac also had more imagination in his volleys.
Off the ground, Mac took the ball on the rise a lot more consistently,
using the opponent's pace and placing it very well, while robbing his
opponent of time.

john

Oct 24, 2010, 2:05:33 AM10/24/10

"Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mac was consistantly overpowered by Lendl from 85 onwards but Lendl
could not do the same to Edberg. Mac had a better serve in a period
of time before the wider use of graphite racquet really took hold on the
game
thereafter his serve wasn't as effective as it was. I believe they each
have
part of the game that is better than the other but overall they are the same
type of players with similar weakness. They are both weak off the ground
and more so in the case of Mac his backhand is even weaker than Edberg's
backhand which could hold up well against most baseliners of his era.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 4:55:08 AM10/24/10

Roche is easily the volley goat, followed closely by Laver.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 4:56:54 AM10/24/10

Yes, & it's quite insulting to compare Federer in the 'genteman' stakes.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 5:00:16 AM10/24/10

Fact?

lol - look up fact in dictionary dufus. Half-arsed opinion from rst
moron is not fact.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 5:01:45 AM10/24/10

Yes, 'genius' is bandied about too freely, but if anyone deserves the
title it's McEnroe.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 5:03:22 AM10/24/10

Edberg was textbook volleyer, like a lesser version of Roche/Laver.
McEnroe was pure genius.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 5:04:15 AM10/24/10
On 10/24/2010 3:18 PM, john wrote:
> "uly...@msomm.com"<uly...@mscomm.com> wrote in message
>> I agree that Edberg had the superior BH volley but there is no tennis
>> expert (or neophyte, for that matter), who would say Edberg was the
>> superior player to Mac. Their careers speak eloquently as to who was
>> the superior player. Edberg had a weak FH and his serve was vastly
>> inferior to McEnroe.
>>

> But Edberg also had much superior backhand and a better athlete. They
> are pretty much evenly matched in their ability and limitation.

Complete nonsense.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 5:06:53 AM10/24/10

Yes, Edberg was great but his volley variety was lesser than Mac's, who
seemingly had an endless range of volleys/angles he could conjur.

Whisper

Oct 24, 2010, 5:07:26 AM10/24/10
On 10/24/2010 5:05 PM, john wrote:
> "Shakes"<kvcs...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 23, 9:18 pm, "john"<jli...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> "ulys...@msomm.com"<ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote in message

>>> I agree that Edberg had the superior BH volley but there is no tennis
>>> expert (or neophyte, for that matter), who would say Edberg was the
>>> superior player to Mac. Their careers speak eloquently as to who was
>>> the superior player. Edberg had a weak FH and his serve was vastly
>>> inferior to McEnroe.
>>
>> But Edberg also had much superior backhand and a better athlete. They
>> are pretty much evenly matched in their ability and limitation.
>>

>> Not at all. The only similarity/limitation is both could be
>> overpowered. But, otherwise, Mac was a better server and had a more
>> consistent ground game. Mac also had more imagination in his volleys.
>> Off the ground, Mac took the ball on the rise a lot more consistently,
>> using the opponent's pace and placing it very well, while robbing his
>> opponent of time.
>
> Mac was consistantly overpowered by Lendl from 85 onwards but Lendl

Mac was washed up post '84.

TT

Oct 24, 2010, 8:54:20 AM10/24/10

Where do you come up with this shit...

Scott

Oct 24, 2010, 8:56:23 AM10/24/10

so you think Laver > Mac at the net? I don't. as great as Laver was
overall, i'd still take Mac over him at the net.

TT

Oct 24, 2010, 9:00:53 AM10/24/10

Imo Mac/Laver leave too many easy midcourt pickups for their opponents.

TT

Oct 24, 2010, 9:06:39 AM10/24/10

No he was not, he was overpowered with his ridiculous game.

john

Oct 24, 2010, 10:57:57 AM10/24/10

"Whisper" <beav...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Complete nonsense from you.,..

john

Oct 24, 2010, 11:04:35 AM10/24/10

"Whisper" <beav...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

The other way to look at it is Mac could not handle Lendl's game as Lendl
added
a few more weapons to his game, a better slice backhand return, improved
volleys,
improve top spin backhand add that to superior fitness and professionalism
made
it difficult for Mac to dominate.

john

Oct 24, 2010, 11:11:01 AM10/24/10

"Whisper" <beav...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Great post by a moron so who is the volley goat, in your other post it was
Mac
now is Roche and then Laver. What's next Peter Doohan...

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 24, 2010, 4:48:55 PM10/24/10
> Yes, & it's quite insulting to compare Federer in the 'genteman' stakes.- Hide quoted text -

McEnroe was like Bobby Fisher and Federer, thus, comparable to Garry
Kasparov, talent + accomplishment wise...

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 24, 2010, 4:50:12 PM10/24/10

W's a natural at it; as you will have noticed...

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 24, 2010, 4:51:45 PM10/24/10
On Oct 24, 8:04 am, "john" <jli...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "Whisper" <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> > On 10/24/2010 5:05 PM, john wrote:
> >> "Shakes"<kvcsh...@gmail.com>  wrote in message

Lendl found 'power variety' and just ripped Johnny Mac up... proof was
in the watching...

TT

Oct 24, 2010, 5:14:13 PM10/24/10

In a way yes, didn't Kasparov have a losing record against Karpov...

TT

Oct 24, 2010, 5:44:32 PM10/24/10

P.S. I don't agree with Mac-Fischer...Mac never was that good, and even
his domination in -84 is misleading, he won only 2 slams that year.

Iceberg

Oct 24, 2010, 7:00:39 PM10/24/10

no after 1984 Mac was washed up thanks to drugs and turbulent private
life, tennis wasn't his 100% priority. He said this in his book,
results after that pretty much aren't too relevant, it's a bit like
Becker's 88 Wimbledon - high on sleeping pills etc not really good
evidence.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 25, 2010, 2:02:31 AM10/25/10
> evidence.- Hide quoted text -

He could hear the footsteps of Lendl coming for him... no wonder he
hit the discos... he knew something wicked his way was coming...
lol... Mac helped Borg out of the game (though it was exhaustion and a
talent well spent) and Lendl pushed Mac out of the game... "fear
factor"...

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 25, 2010, 2:09:29 AM10/25/10
> P- Hide quoted text -

"out of the absolute elite of the game"... and into the snow capped
nose of Tatum...

Iceberg

Oct 25, 2010, 5:42:39 AM10/25/10

good one, they should use that line on the back of his book :-)

Whisper

Oct 25, 2010, 7:03:18 AM10/25/10

Absolute garbage.

uly...@mscomm.com

Oct 25, 2010, 11:56:12 AM10/25/10
As far as "gentlemen" go, I have seen Edberg in person 50 times and
watched him practice countless times. I have seen Fed in person far
less, but have watched him practice about 12 times. Both are
gentlemen, based on cursory obserations from a fan in the stands and
then following them back to the locker rooms. Both sign autographs,
pose for photos and all that.

But Edberg was completely genuine, modest... seemingly a wonderfully
grounded man. Again, this is just based on a fan's perspective which
is probably meaningless. Fed is more peremptory, a little more ego.
Still nice and approachable, but not in the league of Stefan Edberg.

Superdave

Oct 25, 2010, 12:17:37 PM10/25/10

Stefan Edberg did not have to worry about maniacs, terrorists and
other weirdo's during his era. Fed needs to be more aware and careful
and I suspect that accounts for the difference.