Raffi storms to 11th Barcelona title

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 30, 2018, 5:02:26 PM4/30/18
Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...

Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.

"I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent", said
Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for me and
the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and had great
support from the crowd".

Yawn.

--
https://img.aws.la-croix.com/2014/08/19/1193729/Comment-Herge-alle-pecher-jurons-favoris-capitaine-Haddock-pointe-Bretagne_1_730_425.jpg

*skriptis

Apr 30, 2018, 6:28:19 PM4/30/18
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.com> Wrote in message:
> Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
> myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
>
> Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
>
> "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent", said
> Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for me and
> the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and had great
> support from the crowd".
>
> Yawn.

I agree it's become dull and it seems people how lost interest. So
far 11th title seems surreal.

But once he gets to 13, 14, or 15 people will be interested again.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Whisper

May 1, 2018, 6:52:15 AM5/1/18
On 1/05/2018 7:02 AM, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
> myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
>
> Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
>
> "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent", said
> Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for me and
> the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and had great
> support from the crowd".
>
> Yawn.

It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing. He's won many titles 10, 11
times & looks like he can go 3 more yrs at least. Who else has ever
done this in tennis?

He has strong claims to goat/boat status imo. Results are better than
intangible opinions/coulda/woulda.

---
http://www.avg.com

John Liang

May 1, 2018, 8:27:32 AM5/1/18
On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 8:52:15 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
> On 1/05/2018 7:02 AM, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> > Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
> > myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
> >
> > Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
> >
> > "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent", said
> > Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for me and
> > the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and had great
> > support from the crowd".
> >
> > Yawn.
> >

> It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing. He's won many titles 10, 11
> times & looks like he can go 3 more yrs at least. Who else has ever
> done this in tennis?

What he hasn't done is probably more remarkable? Like defending a non clay court titles.

> He has strong claims to goat/boat status imo. Results are better than
> intangible opinions/coulda/woulda.

GOAT on clay yes but on hard court and grass court is well beyond him..

Whisper

May 1, 2018, 8:39:35 AM5/1/18
On 1/05/2018 10:27 PM, John Liang wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 8:52:15 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
>> On 1/05/2018 7:02 AM, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
>>> Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
>>> myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
>>>
>>> Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
>>>
>>> "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent", said
>>> Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for me and
>>> the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and had great
>>> support from the crowd".
>>>
>>> Yawn.
>>>

>> It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing. He's won many titles 10, 11
>> times & looks like he can go 3 more yrs at least. Who else has ever
>> done this in tennis?
>
> What he hasn't done is probably more remarkable? Like defending a non clay court titles.

Why is defending a title such a big deal? Surely what's tangible is
actual titles won?

Has Federer won any title 11 times? He's 4 yrs older than Rafa so has
had plenty of time to do it.

Pelle Svanslös

May 1, 2018, 9:26:11 AM5/1/18
On 1.5.2018 13:52, Whisper wrote:
> On 1/05/2018 7:02 AM, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
>> Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
>> myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
>>
>> Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
>>
>> "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent",
>> said Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for
>> me and the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and
>> had great support from the crowd".
>>
>> Yawn.
>>

> It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing.

What is incredible is the weakness of the opposition.

--
https://img.aws.la-croix.com/2014/08/19/1193729/Comment-Herge-alle-pecher-jurons-favoris-capitaine-Haddock-pointe-Bretagne_1_730_425.jpg

jdeluise

May 1, 2018, 10:52:03 AM5/1/18
On Tue, 01 May 2018 20:52:09 +1000, Whisper wrote:

> He has strong claims to goat/boat status imo. Results are better than
> intangible opinions/coulda/woulda.

Really? Claims to GOAT status? That's embarrassing and inconsistent
even coming from you!

John Liang

May 1, 2018, 9:53:16 PM5/1/18
On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 10:39:35 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
> On 1/05/2018 10:27 PM, John Liang wrote:

> >> It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing. He's won many titles 10, 11
> >> times & looks like he can go 3 more yrs at least. Who else has ever
> >> done this in tennis?
> >
> > What he hasn't done is probably more remarkable? Like defending a non clay court titles.
> >

> Why is defending a title such a big deal? Surely what's tangible is
> actual titles won?

Why defending a title is not a big deal ? Of course we know because Nadal wasn't able to do it in any part of his career.

> Has Federer won any title 11 times? He's 4 yrs older than Rafa so has
> had plenty of time to do it.

Impressive but it is what you won that matters. And you think Rafa will still be playing in 4 years?

The Iceberg

May 2, 2018, 3:36:03 AM5/2/18
On Tuesday, 1 May 2018 14:26:11 UTC+1, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> On 1.5.2018 13:52, Whisper wrote:
> > On 1/05/2018 7:02 AM, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> >> Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
> >> myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
> >>
> >> Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
> >>
> >> "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent",
> >> said Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for
> >> me and the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and
> >> had great support from the crowd".
> >>
> >> Yawn.
> >>

> > It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing.
>
> What is incredible is the weakness of the opposition.

Yep!

The Iceberg

May 2, 2018, 3:36:50 AM5/2/18
On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 02:53:16 UTC+1, John Liang wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 10:39:35 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:

> > > What he hasn't done is probably more remarkable? Like defending a non clay court titles.
> > >

> > Why is defending a title such a big deal? Surely what's tangible is
> > actual titles won?
>
> Why defending a title is not a big deal ? Of course we know because Nadal wasn't able to do it in any part of his career.

Only Fedfans care or would even notice such a thing, still top marks for being a Fedfan.

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 5:51:17 AM5/2/18
On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 10:39:35 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
> On 1/05/2018 10:27 PM, John Liang wrote:

> >> It's pretty incredible what Rafa is doing. He's won many titles 10, 11
> >> times & looks like he can go 3 more yrs at least. Who else has ever
> >> done this in tennis?
> >
> > What he hasn't done is probably more remarkable? Like defending a non clay court titles.
> >

> Why is defending a title such a big deal? Surely what's tangible is
> actual titles won?

Winning a couple of Wimbledon in a row is not a big deal, and what make winning 11 x 250 event a big deal then ?

Whisper

May 2, 2018, 6:12:54 AM5/2/18
Can't be inconsistent when Rafa is putting up unprecedented numbers. Is
there a Rafa type I bagged in the past?

Before Rafa came along Borg was considered the greatest claycourter/FO
champ of all time, & daylight was 2nd. Rafa has lapped Borg & is twice
as good/great on clay. Mindblowing stuff. He's the only clearcut
surface goat/boat we have in the game.

Whisper

May 2, 2018, 6:46:32 AM5/2/18
On 2/05/2018 11:53 AM, John Liang wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 10:39:35 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:

>>> What he hasn't done is probably more remarkable? Like defending a non clay court titles.
>>>

>> Why is defending a title such a big deal? Surely what's tangible is
>> actual titles won?
>
> Why defending a title is not a big deal ? Of course we know because Nadal wasn't able to do it in any part of his career.

He defended FO 7 times. That's an all time record for any slam.

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 7:05:52 AM5/2/18
What about non clay court slam ? Grass court slam and hard court slam ?

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 7:08:13 AM5/2/18
In Borg's time what did you say about clay court tennis. Let me quote this for you if it wasn't played on clay it would not be even merit a 4 in your 7543 system.

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 7:11:41 AM5/2/18
John Liang <jlia...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
He's won 6 off clay, that's as much as Edberg/Becker and more than
Lendl/Wilander/Borg.

You not pleased?

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 7:20:04 AM5/2/18
What about defending them ? Becker defend his Wimbledon titles, Edberg AO and USO, Nadal ?

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 7:32:04 AM5/2/18
Lendl defended slams off clay, yet Nadal has won more off clay.

Who wins there?

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 7:33:42 AM5/2/18
I am not asking what Lendl did. Don't side track what did Nadal do with his defence of his non clay court titles ?

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 7:35:49 AM5/2/18
Would you rather win 2 consecutive Wimbledon or 3 separately?
Message has been deleted

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 7:56:26 AM5/2/18
You haven't answer the question ? Why couldn't Nadal defend a non clay court title?

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 8:01:27 AM5/2/18
How should I know?
Here's a food for thought.

He skipped Wim 2009.
He injured himself at AO 2010.
He ran into peak Djok Wim/USO 2011.
He was out of sorts in late 2014.

Maybe he defends USO this year finally?

But that will bring him only 5 goat pts, he'd be much wiser to win
Wim if he could choose, regardless of title defence.

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 8:02:25 AM5/2/18
John Liang <jlia...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> The question should be why did you change your tune regarding defence of titles. Why defending the top w titles in your 7543 is not a big deal?

Because it is not? It's a tiny small deal. No slam defence could
actually trump titles won.

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 8:04:40 AM5/2/18
And he knew he could not defend it,

> He injured himself at AO 2010.

Well, known case of shitting his pants against Ferrer

> He ran into peak Djok Wim/USO 2011.

> He was out of sorts in late 2014.

Still no defence of non clay court titles.

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 8:07:45 AM5/2/18
Ferrer was in 2011. He was also struggling but didn't retire.

He retired vs Murray.

Whisper

May 2, 2018, 8:11:24 AM5/2/18
> You haven't answer the question ? Why couldn't Nadal defend a non clay court title?

The goal isn't to defend slams (easier to do when lull in competition),
but to win as many as possible. At any rate why couldn't Federer defend
the same slam 7 times like Rafa? Fed's best is 4. Rafa will get 8 if
he wins FO this yr, twice as good as Federer.

John Liang

May 2, 2018, 8:17:07 AM5/2/18
Easier to do in lull competition if Federer and Djokovic were able to do it in 'lull' competiton at Wimbledon and Australian Open why couldn't Nadal ?

At any rate why couldn't Federer defend
> the same slam 7 times like Rafa? Fed's best is 4. Rafa will get 8 if
> he wins FO this yr, twice as good as Federer.

Except Federer did in at least 2 different slams and he also defended at AO twice. Nadal only did at FO but none in the others. You can't win 5 or more titles without been able to defend the title at least once.

Guypers

May 2, 2018, 9:06:48 AM5/2/18
Fed and Djker are better players than Rafa!

Leon

May 2, 2018, 12:13:08 PM5/2/18
Who cares about the statistics of defending a title or not? It's a new KPI created just to bash Nadal by Nadal haters.

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 12:52:50 PM5/2/18
Leon <luke...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Top post.

heyg...@gmail.com

May 2, 2018, 2:37:43 PM5/2/18
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 5:02:26 PM UTC-4, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
> Not much talk about this. Come to think of it I just woke up to it
> myself. But the clay season is already over, so ...
>
> Rafa wins Tsitty 2 and 1. Yawn.
>
> "I'm very happy for the victory against a very difficult opponent", said
> Nadal. "Tsitsipas has an amazing future. It was a great final for me and
> the 11th title here means a lot. I enjoyed the whole week and had great
> support from the crowd".
>
> Yawn.
>
> --
> https://img.aws.la-croix.com/2014/08/19/1193729/Comment-Herge-alle-pecher-jurons-favoris-capitaine-Haddock-pointe-Bretagne_1_730_425.jpg

The best thing about it is showing that ATGs having 15-20 year careers at the top is becoming the norm instead of the exception (hopefully). Great for the fans.

*skriptis

May 2, 2018, 3:08:09 PM5/2/18
heyg...@gmail.com Wrote in message:
I like that very much.

And they don't have to be at the top the entire time. Players
having off periods and comebacks makes it even more interesting.

Remeber it's not just Federer or Nadal. Even the mediocre players
have prolonged careers nowadays.

Berdych announced himself in 2004 when he beat Federer at the
Olympics. He won ATP1000 Paris Bercy in 2005.

It's 2018 now, and he's still here. Almost 14 years near the top.

According to the mpoat rank, he's the most prominent player of
open era never to have won a slam. Or, the biggest softcock loser
and the most useless player, depending how you interpret mpoat
data.

But the data itself doesn't lie, he's been here for ages and it shows.

Fantastic tool.

The Iceberg

May 3, 2018, 5:07:59 AM5/3/18
LOL
Fed = the real king of winning stuff when the better players don't show up.

The Iceberg

May 3, 2018, 5:09:02 AM5/3/18
you don't get it, only Fedfans care about defending a non-clay title. It might've been a case that he'd won the event and couldn't be bothered winning it again.