Is Kyrgios actually a clown?

TT

Jan 27, 2015, 9:51:34 AM1/27/15
Discuss!

Shakes

Jan 27, 2015, 12:17:45 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 6:51:34 AM UTC-8, TT wrote:
> Discuss!

Until he gets more serious about the sport, yes.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 1:55:49 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:51:34 AM UTC-5, TT wrote:
> Discuss!

Figuratively no, literally no.

He's 19. Don't you remember being young and not giving a flying fuck? Or maybe you expect him to skip youth and go directly to middle age.

Shakes

Jan 27, 2015, 2:16:07 PM1/27/15
I do remember being 19 and not having a care about the world etc., but I was not a professional tennis player. All I can say is that if you want to be the top dog, you have to stick to the straight and narrow - even at 19. It's something that's really hard to develop if you don't have it inbuilt, though it's possible (Agassi).

Court_1

Jan 27, 2015, 2:25:07 PM1/27/15
No, I don't think he is a clown. He has reached the QF of a slam twice as a teenager something not done since Federer. Plus he has defeated Nadal in a major.

Dimitrov is four years older and has only reached 1 slam QF and 1 slam SF.

Whether he will drift into clown status as time passes, nobody knows. It is up to him really.

TT

Jan 27, 2015, 2:27:32 PM1/27/15
27.1.2015, 21:16, Shakes kirjoitti:
> I do remember being 19 and not having a care about the world etc

I don't think that being 19 and almost 20 is good excuse for being a moron.

jdeluise

Jan 27, 2015, 2:28:13 PM1/27/15
Shakes <kvcs...@gmail.com> writes:

> I do remember being 19 and not having a care about the world etc., but
> I was not a professional tennis player. All I can say is that if you
> want to be the top dog, you have to stick to the straight and narrow -
> even at 19. It's something that's really hard to develop if you don't
> have it inbuilt, though it's possible (Agassi).

I don't think you can judge the guy based on having earrings, necklaces
and that hair cut. You said he had a tattoo, but that was actually
sports tape! In fact he did get a finger tattoo in memory of his
grandmother who died not long after his match against Nadal. Still,
it's just his style... wouldn't read into it too much.

TT

Jan 27, 2015, 2:40:27 PM1/27/15
27.1.2015, 21:25, Court_1 kirjoitti:
> He has reached the QF of a slam twice as a teenager something not done since Federer.

Extraordinary precocity. Except Rafa had in his teens a slam and several
masters titles. Not fucking quarterfinals.

Tell me when he wins his first career title.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 2:49:30 PM1/27/15
That's pretty harsh. What has he done to deserve that label?

Shakes

Jan 27, 2015, 2:50:45 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 11:28:13 AM UTC-8, jdeluise wrote:
> Shakes <kvcs...@gmail.com> writes:
>

> I don't think you can judge the guy based on having earrings, necklaces
> and that hair cut. You said he had a tattoo, but that was actually
> sports tape! In fact he did get a finger tattoo in memory of his
> grandmother who died not long after his match against Nadal. Still,
> it's just his style... wouldn't read into it too much.

I don't know, but I saw many top players - Edberg, Lendl, Wilander, Sampras, Fed, Hewitt, Nadal, Djok etc. and I always felt that they were really into the sport, really seemed zoned in - never seemed to care about their clothing or looks. Something that never struck me about Kyrgios.

But, to me, even more than the superficial stuff, he seems too emotional to maintain form over the course of a slam.

Court_1

Jan 27, 2015, 2:57:29 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:40:27 PM UTC-5, TT wrote:
> 27.1.2015, 21:25, Court_1 kirjoitti:
> > He has reached the QF of a slam twice as a teenager something not done since Federer.
>
> Extraordinary precocity. Except Rafa had in his teens a slam and several
> masters titles. Not fucking quarterfinals.

Federer had many ATP titles in his teens too and was being touted as a huge talent by John McEnroe when Federer was a junior. Nadal was a special talent as well. The point is you can usually tell when these type of talents come along. Kyrgios SEEMS like a real talent but what he does with it is all up to him. He may reach great heights or crash and burn. It is hard to tell right now.

> Tell me when he wins his first career title.

Why such bile towards Kyrgios? We need some fearless new young blood in the sport. I don't really like Kyrgios' attitude and I don't like his look as I find it tacky(with the flashy colors, the awful hair and eyebrows and the fourteen gold chains around his neck) but if he can go out there and win tennis matches against the best players CONSISTENTLY and deal with the pressure, that is something rare. The only thing is he may be lazy. There have been indications of his laziness and reports about it from other pros (didn't Rafter say something about it?)

Gracchus

Jan 27, 2015, 2:59:28 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 11:28:13 AM UTC-8, jdeluise wrote:

> I don't think you can judge the guy based on having earrings, necklaces
> and that hair cut. You said he had a tattoo, but that was actually
> sports tape! In fact he did get a finger tattoo in memory of his
> grandmother who died not long after his match against Nadal. Still,
> it's just his style... wouldn't read into it too much.

I believe a lot of people hide behind such "style" because their adult identity hasn't coalesced yet. That's why many leave those trappings behind as they mature and grow out of it.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 3:58:53 PM1/27/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:59:28 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:

> I believe a lot of people hide behind such "style" because their adult identity hasn't coalesced yet. That's why many leave those trappings behind as they mature and grow out of it.

Generally considered age-appropriate behavior. So many people my age and many much younger are offended by the jewellery, the hair, the piercings and the tattoos that so many young people adorn themselves with. I don't want my children to get tattoos but there's damn all I can do about it once they are of age an decide for themselves what they're going to do with their skin and their clothes and their lives. It's so foreign to me because I'm old and I don't have a cellphone, a facebook account or twitter, so who am I to judge? I'm already an object of pity to my preteen children who preach to me about the necessity of carrying a cellphone and they are vaguely amused at my odd habits like playing chess and my atavistic insistence that they remember their times tables and how to read an analog clock.

So it cuts both ways....

heyg...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 4:41:27 PM1/27/15

> Why such bile towards Kyrgios?

You have to ask that of TT?! ;-)

pltrgyst

Jan 27, 2015, 4:55:02 PM1/27/15
On 1/27/15 1:55 PM, horsen...@gmail.com wrote:

> He's 19. Don't you remember being young and not giving a flying fuck?

It's more than that -- he's young, and already rich.

-- Larry

Darkfalz

Jan 27, 2015, 8:40:18 PM1/27/15
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 01:51:34 UTC+11, TT wrote:
> Discuss!

Without a doubt. He's a Monfis/Tsonga/Gonzales level clown.

He also needs to lose the fucking stupid haircut and bling and faggot Dr Dre headphones he comes out in.

Ted Schuerzinger

Jan 27, 2015, 9:51:13 PM1/27/15
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:28:10 -0900, jdeluise wrote:

> Still,
> it's just his style... wouldn't read into it too much.

I'm always reminded of the old Agassi camera commercial, where he said,
"Image is everything: the image of a rebel". I always yelled back at
the TV, "The image of an asshole!"

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net

Darkfalz

Jan 27, 2015, 10:37:26 PM1/27/15
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 13:51:13 UTC+11, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:28:10 -0900, jdeluise wrote:
>
> > Still,
> > it's just his style... wouldn't read into it too much.
>
> I'm always reminded of the old Agassi camera commercial, where he said,
> "Image is everything: the image of a rebel". I always yelled back at
> the TV, "The image of an asshole!"

He remained a fucking asshole as long as he played and likely still is one. I could never stand the haughty cunt. I hated him even more than Roddick.

jdeluise

Jan 27, 2015, 10:51:18 PM1/27/15
Ted Schuerzinger <fe...@hughes.spam> writes:

> I'm always reminded of the old Agassi camera commercial, where he said,
> "Image is everything: the image of a rebel". I always yelled back at
> the TV, "The image of an asshole!"

Yeah :) Well, Agassi has a special place in my heart as I couldn't
stand the guy.... Kyrgios hasn't bothered me much, though I've only been
able to catch a few of his matches. Like others have said, he's got to
stay more reserved during his matches.... those emotional displays feed
his opponents and give them confidence.

Darkfalz

Jan 27, 2015, 11:01:43 PM1/27/15
Why does every non-African person with dark skin try to act like a negro? Someone should tell Nick:

1. Malayasians are not negros.
2. Negros and negro "culture" are nothing to aspire to. It's an evolutionary regression.

Maybe he should change his name to Kynegros

It's bad enough when Islanders do it, but SE Asians? What a dickhead.

Whippet

Jan 28, 2015, 1:01:22 AM1/28/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 11:01:43 PM UTC-5, Darkfalz wrote:

> Why does every non-African person with dark skin try to act like a negro? Someone should tell Nick:
>
> 1. Malayasians are not negros.

A relative confronted me once (because I have dark skin)..."But you're not a dark-skinned person." I think she was trying to say: "But you're not a negro." I just laughed like the negro I am.

> 2. Negros and negro "culture" are nothing to aspire to. It's an evolutionary regression.

Like it or hate it, American black culture has been cool for decades. And now that dark skin doesn't automatically get you a seat at the back of the bus and sometimes doesn't get you shot, one can aspire to be an honorary negro just by adopting certain ways of speech, dress, and physical movement. As far as it being an evolutionary regression, this warning is hardly convincing to generations of de-evolved North Americans and Europeans, as we strive continually to de-evolve and de-skill ourselves to the level of single-celled organisms.

> Maybe he should change his name to Kynegros

Or maybe just Mr. Black.

> It's bad enough when Islanders do it, but SE Asians? What a dickhead.

I don't see it as any different from nouveau-rich poseurs who affect the mannerisms of Her Royal Highness and even adopt English accents to complete the image.

The world is full of poseurs, bullshit artists and actors. Best to just accept it as a human art form that appeals to the masses and somehow distracts us from the mundane realities of acultural de-evolutionary existence where everyone is striving to be visually important for even a few minutes.

It's fucked and it's stupid but compared to the real evils in this world it is absolutley benign. Forget about it.

Whippet

Jan 28, 2015, 1:04:46 AM1/28/15
Lucky Nick. He has the world by the balls. Let him enjoy it. It doesn't last.

Whippet

Jan 28, 2015, 1:09:12 AM1/28/15
You guys are like graduates from the Archie Bunker finishing school. What ever happened to live and let live?

Ever care to think what young people think of you? They probably look at you and see an old obsolete fool. If they notice you at all.

Whippet

Jan 28, 2015, 1:16:47 AM1/28/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:51:34 AM UTC-5, TT wrote:
> Discuss!

I think this thread has been hijacked by the National Front.

Who woulda thought that a funny haircut and gaudy necklaces would be considered so outrageous in 2015?

Gracchus

Jan 28, 2015, 1:20:21 AM1/28/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:09:12 PM UTC-8, Whippet wrote:

> Ever care to think what young people think of you? They probably look at you and see an old obsolete fool. If they notice you at all.

The bad things about getting older are well documented. But one of the good things is that your self-concept becomes more defined from within. Now I don't care much what people my own age think of me and far less whether teenagers think my clothes or taste in music are hip. They are still in the larval stage as far as I'm concerned.

Whippet

Jan 28, 2015, 1:30:04 AM1/28/15
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:16:07 PM UTC-5, Shakes wrote:

All I can say is that if you want to be the top dog, you have to stick to the straight and narrow - even at 19.

I call bullshit to that statement. Look at the guys who were rebellious and made it to the top: Connors, McEnroe, Agassi, Nastase. Borg used to be called the Hoover for his ability to snort lots and lots of coke in a short period of time. None of these guys stuck to the straight and narrow.

We've got straight and narrow Raonic and TBH he looks like more ridiculous than Nick. Fact is these guys can do whatever the fuck they want and they'll still land on their feet financially.

Maybe Nick wants to hot dog for a while. He's worth what? 50 million already? And he's just broken into the top 50. Maybe being top dog is over-rated.

Kournikova thought so and I doubt that she regrets trading her talent for an easy life of selling her image.

Darkfalz

Jan 28, 2015, 2:12:39 AM1/28/15
> Like it or hate it, American black culture has been cool for decades.

Yes, and we all know who is responsible for that. A certain group of people who like to keep their own bastard state racially pure with apartheid systems and racially based immigration policies. The self described "chosen" master race.

To think we've gone from Beethoven to Jay Z in less than 200 years. That's a like going from skyscrapers to a mud hovel. Or Intel to AMD. Yeesh.

> I don't see it as any different from nouveau-rich poseurs who affect the mannerisms of Her Royal Highness and even adopt English accents to complete the image. 1111

Comparable, and I don't like false airs, but at least it's aspiring to something worthwhile.

TT

Jan 28, 2015, 7:16:48 AM1/28/15
28.1.2015, 8:01, Whippet kirjoitti:
> Like it or hate it, American black culture has been cool for decades.

I always thought it opposite of cool. Talking about rap culture.

And copying it is damn ridiculous... especially when you're a white guy
living in Finland... or a greek guy from Australia. Clowns.

TT

Jan 28, 2015, 7:17:56 AM1/28/15
28.1.2015, 8:09, Whippet kirjoitti:
> Ever care to think what young people think of you?

No

Darkfalz

Jan 28, 2015, 7:25:31 AM1/28/15
True tennis fans consider it a sport a bit above the what the unwashed masses enjoy, like football.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 9:13:54 AM1/28/15
Yeah, I have to say I don't mind being older at all. But I love the energy of youth and I will always strive to offer something positive to help them through their journey. I now appreciate the people who helped me along the way or at the very least did not actively impede my progress or try to make me feel small or inadequate. Youth is a difficult transition for many but a time of great celebration also.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jan 28, 2015, 9:30:24 AM1/28/15
In article <9e789613-98e4-4279...@googlegroups.com>,
You have been declared obsolete!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3quruHpcuo>

For those who wish to see it in its entirety, check the following:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJUIHXGqvtM>
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 9:33:23 AM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 7:16:48 AM UTC-5, TT wrote:
> 28.1.2015, 8:01, Whippet kirjoitti:
> > Like it or hate it, American black culture has been cool for decades.
>
> I always thought it opposite of cool. Talking about rap culture.

I don't get the gangster thing or the jewellery or the ass hanging out of the pants thing or any of it but I'm old. I just conclude with anything popular that it is cool if a sizable demographic thinks it is. I have my own ideas of what looks good but my value system was influenced by the 60s so of course I am looking at the world through different eyes.

> And copying it is damn ridiculous... especially when you're a white guy
> living in Finland... or a greek guy from Australia. Clowns.

I think Nick wears it well. He recognizes his own folly in interviews; knows that he's in transition.

Nice thing about freedom of expression; you can copy fashion if you feel like it and you're also free to ignore it. I don't mind being invisible.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 9:49:10 AM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 2:12:39 AM UTC-5, Darkfalz wrote:
> > Like it or hate it, American black culture has been cool for decades.
>
> Yes, and we all know who is responsible for that. A certain group of people who like to keep their own bastard state racially pure with apartheid systems and racially based immigration policies. The self described "chosen" master race.

Please elaborate. I promise I won't take it personally. Nobody dictates fashion. It evolves and the fashion industry markets it quickly.

> To think we've gone from Beethoven to Jay Z in less than 200 years.

Who is Jay Z? Sorry I asked... Not to worry. In 200 years, Beethoven will still be important.

Look at it in a positive light. You can put all of Beethoven's music onto a memory card the size of your thumbnail and play it, distortion free with a $5 MP3 player. You have instant access to vast amounts of information, at your fingertips, videos and images of places in high definition to peruse while you sit waiting for somebody to change the oil in your car. And with this you can drink any kind of coffee you can imagine by paying $2 to Starbucks.

You don't have to worry about sitting next to somebody who is smoking a fat stogie because smoking is banned. Almost all public facilities are air conditioned.

Intel to AMD indeed...

That's a like going from skyscrapers to a mud hovel. Or Intel to AMD. Yeesh.

> > I don't see it as any different from nouveau-rich poseurs who affect the mannerisms of Her Royal Highness and even adopt English accents to complete the image. 1111
>
> Comparable, and I don't like false airs, but at least it's aspiring to something worthwhile.

I disagree. The Royals are some of the worst people in the world. I'll take my chances with rappers. More trustworthy.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 9:50:17 AM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:30:24 AM UTC-5, Thomas R. Kettler wrote:

> You have been declared obsolete!

Thank you. I need the rest.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 10:12:22 AM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 7:25:31 AM UTC-5, Darkfalz wrote:

> True tennis fans consider it a sport a bit above the what the unwashed masses enjoy, like football.

I learned to play tennis on a public court. I've always considered tennis to be a ball game.

I don't think any sport is inherently better or worse than any other. In fact, I think that's impossible.

Gracchus

Jan 28, 2015, 12:34:09 PM1/28/15
Hmmm...entitled inbred overlords or scumbag street thugs? Must admit that's a tough choice.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jan 28, 2015, 12:56:16 PM1/28/15
In article <258f4f05-9b7b-4d56...@googlegroups.com>,
I'll Estimate that rappers never horsed around this way.

<http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0722/632468-estimate-morphine/>

grif

Jan 28, 2015, 1:34:30 PM1/28/15
On 27/01/2015 20:58, horsen...@gmail.com wrote:
> Generally considered age-appropriate behavior. So many people my age and many much younger are offended by the jewellery, the hair, the piercings and the tattoos that so many young people adorn themselves with. I don't want my children to get tattoos but there's damn all I can do about it once they are of age an decide for themselves what they're going to do with their skin and their clothes and their lives. It's so foreign to me because I'm old and I don't have a cellphone, a facebook account or twitter, so who am I to judge? I'm already an object of pity to my preteen children who preach to me about the necessity of carrying a cellphone and they are vaguely amused at my odd habits like playing chess and my atavistic insistence that they remember their times tables and how to read an analog clock.
>
> So it cuts both ways....

This got me thinking back to my own dad. Recently, while I was back in
the frozen North (largely inhabited by brutish orcs and fierce maidens),
we decided to try and bring my dad into the modern age. We got him an
internet connection and a laptop. Even though he's getting on a bit and
set in his ways, I figured it would be fairly easy to teach him how to
use a laptop so he could mess around on the internet, use Skype etc.

Oh boy, I had no idea it would be so difficult. People who have grown up
using computers etc., this stuff is second nature, but to him it was
completely alien. Manipulating mouse pointers, clicking on links,
minimizing windows, closing different tabs in browsers, adjusting the
volume ... the simplest actions were a huge hurdle. Merely using the
mouse was a struggle as he frequently clicked on the right mouse button
by mistake and brought up a context box that would confuse him even more.

Recognising and understanding the various UI elements/icons, what they
did and how they related to each other was difficult for him to grasp,
even after weeks of practice and getting him to write notes in a
notebook. If he has problems now, because I'm no longer at his, I have
to control his laptop remotely.

horsen...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 3:41:01 PM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-5, grif wrote:

> Oh boy, I had no idea it would be so difficult. People who have grown up
> using computers etc., this stuff is second nature, but to him it was
> completely alien. Manipulating mouse pointers, clicking on links,
> minimizing windows, closing different tabs in browsers, adjusting the
> volume ... the simplest actions were a huge hurdle.

LOL. I've had the exact same experience with my parents and I'm sad to say I've pretty much given up out of exasperation. It IS surprising how many simple steps are involved when using a computer and how lost a person can get when you don't really understand what you are doing. I tried writing down in detail the precise order of entries on my remote for my dad so that he could watch a certain sporting event on TV. Didn't matter how precise and how well I illustrated it, he still managed to fuck it up and that's just a universal remote fer chrissakes. He's in his 90s now and he's still totally with it but it's almost impossible to teach him anything new. TVs for him should have an on/off, a volume control, channel up/down and that's about it.

There but for the grace of god go I. By the time I get to my 90s (if I do) there will probably be seniors freezing to death or dying from the heat because they can't figure out the climate control computer on the wall.

TT

Jan 28, 2015, 3:52:46 PM1/28/15
28.1.2015, 22:40, horsen...@gmail.com kirjoitti:
> I tried writing down in detail the precise order of entries on my remote for my dad so that he could watch a certain sporting event on TV. Didn't matter how precise and how well I illustrated it, he still managed to fuck it up and that's just a universal remote fer chrissakes.

I bought mother exactly same HD recorder with exactly same remote
control than I had and wrote instructions etc... it took only couple
months when she didn't have to call me any more about it. Would have
been impossible if I had not had exactly same remote.

Gracchus

Jan 28, 2015, 4:31:51 PM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 12:41:01 PM UTC-8, horsen...@gmail.com wrote:

> LOL. I've had the exact same experience with my parents and I'm sad to say I've pretty much given up out of exasperation. It IS surprising how many simple steps are involved when using a computer and how lost a person can get when you don't really understand what you are doing. I tried writing down in detail the precise order of entries on my remote for my dad so that he could watch a certain sporting event on TV. Didn't matter how precise and how well I illustrated it, he still managed to fuck it up and that's just a universal remote fer chrissakes.

I think a lot of it is just a mindblock for them. Even if they have learned and can learn things equally complex, the sight of gadgets that scream "modern technology" is paralyzing, and the certainty that it's beyond them becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Makes no difference even if it's the most user-friendly device in the world.

Fednatic

Jan 28, 2015, 10:39:46 PM1/28/15
You have a mother ? I thought you came from a rock, space dust and
amino acid ?