Dokic to meet Safarova in Kuala Lumpur final

Vari L. Cinicke

Mar 5, 2011, 7:59:55 PM3/5/11
The 7th comeback is the real one.

Good luck to her!
--
Cheers,

vc

Manco

Mar 5, 2011, 8:11:59 PM3/5/11

Who cares about some Tier IV event.

Superdave

Mar 5, 2011, 8:33:37 PM3/5/11

Is Serena dead yet?

only human

Mar 5, 2011, 8:58:50 PM3/5/11

Its pretty significant for Dokic who is in dire need of some confidence.
winning can do wonders for a player no matter how small the event is.

Manco

Mar 6, 2011, 4:40:40 PM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 5:58 pm, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
> Its pretty significant for Dokic who is in dire need of some confidence.
> winning can do wonders for a player no matter how small the event is.

Well Dokic won in 3 sets, so I guess she's on the comeback trail.

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Mar 7, 2011, 7:29:18 AM3/7/11
In article <3420-4D72...@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net>,
surf...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:

Yes. It was her first quarterfinal since I think 2008; her first final
since 2004, and her first title since 2003. And it puts her back in the
top 60. Very big deal for her. Especially since she beat Schiavone in the
first round. However unmotivated FS may have been, it was Dokic's first
top-five win in a *long* time.

And I for one am happy to see Dokic playing better and back in the mix a
little bit.

wg

only human

Mar 7, 2011, 8:54:40 AM3/7/11

Wendy i believe that was Dokic's first final since 02. i hope this title
win means good things for her. she beat some pretty solid players to
take the title. not the very best players since it was a small event.
but you got to start somewhere.

mimus

Mar 7, 2011, 10:06:43 AM3/7/11
On Mar 7, 7:29 am, wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> In article <3420-4D72EA5A-5...@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net>,

Majorly awesome.

Saved 3 championship points in the second set, came back from 1-3 in
the third . . . .

And she's "grunting" louder.

Bring on the power, go for the lines, dig out those returns, and fight
like a dirty dog!

She actually bagged Safarova with one service winner.

Now we just need to see Annachak back, and the women's game might
start to right itself defensively a little-- although still reeling
from Dementieva's retirement.

--

Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve
again.

only human

Mar 7, 2011, 5:37:24 PM3/7/11

Elena was a nice player. but i won't miss those bunny teeth of hers.

mimus

Mar 8, 2011, 9:46:58 AM3/8/11
On Mar 7, 5:37 pm, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:

> Elena was a nice player

_Only_ the greatest defensive player of all time:

Top 5/10 for years? up against the Big Babes and the Ovas? with that
serve of hers?

Think about it.

(And those wheels . . . !)

Sakari Lund

Mar 8, 2011, 10:10:26 AM3/8/11
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 06:46:58 -0800 (PST), mimus <mim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 7, 5:37 pm, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
>
>> Elena was a nice player
>
>_Only_ the greatest defensive player of all time:

Even Kim is much better defensive player, and she is not even
defensive player.

mimus

Mar 8, 2011, 10:41:33 AM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 10:10 am, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 06:46:58 -0800 (PST), mimus <mimu...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 7, 5:37 pm, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
>
> >> Elena was a nice player
>
> > _Only_ the greatest defensive player of all time:
>
> Even Kim is much better defensive player, and she is not even
> defensive player.

Get real.

(But I do give Kim high marks for defense too.)

Joe Ramirez

Mar 8, 2011, 10:48:09 AM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 9:46 am, mimus <mimu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 5:37 pm, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
>
> > Elena was a nice player
>
> _Only_ the greatest defensive player of all time:

I would not describe Dementieva as a "defensive player." She was a
flat-hitting baseliner, just like 90% of the tour. Because she was
fast, she could get to balls and extend rallies, but her basic
mindset, IMO, was to be as aggressive as possible within the narrow
parameters of her style.

> Top 5/10 for years? up against the Big Babes and the Ovas?

Dementieva *was* a "Big Babe." And -ova/-eva -- what's the difference?