Rome draw

Bharath Purohit

May 13, 2017, 3:13:20 AM5/13/17
ROME MASTERS 2017 draw analysis

Potential opponents:

[1] Andy Murray

1R - Bye
2R - Fabio Fognini
3R - Alex Zverev
QF - Tomas Berdych/Milos Raonic
SF - Stan Wawrinka/David Goffin
F - Rafa Nadal/Novak Djokovic

Verdict: Tough, tough draw. Murray has been in bad form this year and this draw is not kind on his struggles. Fognini is one of the hardest players to draw in your first match at a clay tournament. Sascha Zverev right after is even harder. Then a quarterfinal which should not be too hard. A semi against an in-form Goffin or a possibly-resurgent Wawrinka will be difficult for Andy in his present condition, and if he makes it all the way to the final, it will most likely be either Nadal or Djokovic in his way.

[2] Novak Djokovic

1R - Bye
2R - Gianluca Mager
3R - Nick Kyrgios/Gilles Simon
QF - Kei Nishikori/Juan Martin del Potro
SF - Rafa Nadal
F - Andy Murray/David Goffin

Verdict: Moderate draw. Novak should have no problems in the second round, but the third round will feature players that have either beaten him already this year or have come very close to beating him. While Kyrgios is not the biggest threat on clay, Simon can be devastating on the surface, and had a deciding set lead against Novak in their Monte Carlo meeting last month. The quarter could be yet another walkover from Nishikori, or perhaps del Potro, who has also given Djokovic problems recently. The semi could be a rematch against Rafa, and if he gets through, a final against Goffin, Wawrinka or Andy is plausible.

[4] Rafa Nadal

1R - Bye
2R - Andreas Seppi
3R - Diego Schwartzman
QF - Dominic Thiem
SF - Novak Djokovic
F - David Goffin/Andy Murray

Verdict: Easy draw. This is not the easiest draw in the world, but in Rafa's current form, it looks like it won't be much trouble. Rafa has a straightforward route to the quarters. Neither Seppi nor Schwartzman are truly capable of beating him on clay, even if they can trouble him. Thiem in the quarters could be a challenge, with Thiem having beaten Rafa on clay before. However, Rafa crushed him in their most recent meeting, the Barcelona final from last month. A semi against Novak beckons, and if Rafa can get through that, the final doesn't seem too hard, against guys he is very comfortable playing on clay.

[3] Stan Wawrinka

1R - Bye
2R - Benoit Paire
3R - Albert Ramos-Vinolas
QF - David Goffin/Marin Cilic
SF - Andy Murray
F - Rafa Nadal/Novak Djokovic

Verdict: Hard draw. Poor Stan's bad luck continues with a miserable draw. First up is Paire, who just beat him in Madrid. Right after is Monte Carlo finalist Ramos-Vinolas, who is having a great run this clay season. If he gets through them he has to face Goffin, another guy in great form. After all those struggles, a semi against the World No. 1 and a final against either the King of Clay or the World No. 2... poor, poor Stan.

POTENTIAL INTERESTING MATCHES:

1R:
Tomas Berdych v/s Mischa Zverev
Ivo Karlovic v/s Tommy Haas (oldest ATP match since 1982)
David Ferrer v/s Feliciano Lopez
Juan Martin del Potro v/s Grigor Dimitrov
Nick Kyrgios v/s Roberto Bautista-Agut

2R:
Andy Murray v/s Fabio Fognini
Milos Raonic v/s Tommy Haas
Stan Wawrinka v/s Benoit Paire
David Goffin v/s Fernando Verdasco
Dominic Thiem v/s Pablo Cuevas
Kei Nishikori v/s David Ferrer
Gilles Simon v/s Nick Kyrgios

3R:
Andy Murray v/s Alex Zverev
Milos Raonic v/s Tomas Berdych
David Goffin v/s Marin Cilic
Dominic Thiem v/s Lucas Pouille
Kei Nishikori v/s Juan Martin del Potro
Novak Djokovic v/s Nick Kyrgios

PREDICTIONS:

QF:
Alex Zverev v/s Milos Raonic
Stan Wawrinka v/s David Goffin
Dominic Thiem v/s Rafa Nadal
Juan Martin del Potro v/s Novak Djokovic

SF:
Alex Zverev v/s David Goffin
Rafa Nadal v/s Novak Djokovic

F:
David Goffin v/s Rafa Nadal

W: Rafa Nadal

By Troll Tennis.

The Iceberg

May 13, 2017, 5:26:12 AM5/13/17
Murray's draw is fairly easy after Fabio, but that won't matter, it's down to him and whether he can be bothered playing.

TT

May 13, 2017, 6:35:11 AM5/13/17
13.5.2017, 10:13, Bharath Purohit kirjoitti:
> ROME MASTERS 2017 draw analysis

Thanks

> Potential opponents:
>
> [1] Andy Murray
>
> 1R - Bye
> 2R - Fabio Fognini

Fogs has had pretty unlucky draws this clay season.

> 3R - Alex Zverev
> QF - Tomas Berdych/Milos Raonic
> SF - Stan Wawrinka/David Goffin
> F - Rafa Nadal/Novak Djokovic
>
> Verdict: Tough, tough draw. Murray has been in bad form this year and this draw is not kind on his struggles. Fognini is one of the hardest players to draw in your first match at a clay tournament. Sascha Zverev right after is even harder. Then a quarterfinal which should not be too hard. A semi against an in-form Goffin or a possibly-resurgent Wawrinka will be difficult for Andy in his present condition, and if he makes it all the way to the final, it will most likely be either Nadal or Djokovic in his way.

Still, Rafa & Djok are on other side of the draw.

> [2] Novak Djokovic
>
> 1R - Bye
> 2R - Gianluca Mager
> 3R - Nick Kyrgios/Gilles Simon
> QF - Kei Nishikori/Juan Martin del Potro
> SF - Rafa Nadal
> F - Andy Murray/David Goffin
>
> Verdict: Moderate draw. Novak should have no problems in the second round, but the third round will feature players that have either beaten him already this year or have come very close to beating him. While Kyrgios is not the biggest threat on clay, Simon can be devastating on the surface, and had a deciding set lead against Novak in their Monte Carlo meeting last month. The quarter could be yet another walkover from Nishikori, or perhaps del Potro, who has also given Djokovic problems recently. The semi could be a rematch against Rafa, and if he gets through, a final against Goffin, Wawrinka or Andy is plausible.

Simon is expected to play well but not great, as normal. Meanwhile
Kyrgios was slaughtered by Rafa and Nishikori is injured as is probably
Delpo. Should be pretty easy until semis.

> [4] Rafa Nadal
>
> 1R - Bye
> 2R - Andreas Seppi
> 3R - Diego Schwartzman
> QF - Dominic Thiem
> SF - Novak Djokovic
> F - David Goffin/Andy Murray
>
> Verdict: Easy draw. This is not the easiest draw in the world, but in Rafa's current form, it looks like it won't be much trouble. Rafa has a straightforward route to the quarters. Neither Seppi nor Schwartzman are truly capable of beating him on clay, even if they can trouble him. Thiem in the quarters could be a challenge, with Thiem having beaten Rafa on clay before. However, Rafa crushed him in their most recent meeting, the Barcelona final from last month. A semi against Novak beckons, and if Rafa can get through that, the final doesn't seem too hard, against guys he is very comfortable playing on clay.

Easy early draw but QF+ is tough. Thiem is apparently in excellent form.

> [3] Stan Wawrinka
>
> 1R - Bye
> 2R - Benoit Paire
> 3R - Albert Ramos-Vinolas
> QF - David Goffin/Marin Cilic
> SF - Andy Murray
> F - Rafa Nadal/Novak Djokovic
>
> Verdict: Hard draw. Poor Stan's bad luck continues with a miserable draw. First up is Paire, who just beat him in Madrid. Right after is Monte Carlo finalist Ramos-Vinolas, who is having a great run this clay season. If he gets through them he has to face Goffin, another guy in great form. After all those struggles, a semi against the World No. 1 and a final against either the King of Clay or the World No. 2... poor, poor Stan.

Not a hard draw at all imo. He's on other side of the Nad/Djok and the
only potential problem should be Goffin... but he doesn't necessarily
play every match as well as he did yesterday.

John Liang

May 13, 2017, 7:10:24 AM5/13/17
Why don't you feed him one of your special burgers ...

bob

May 13, 2017, 7:18:43 AM5/13/17
On Sat, 13 May 2017 00:13:18 -0700 (PDT), Bharath Purohit
<acebh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>ROME MASTERS 2017 draw analysis
>
>Potential opponents:
>
>[1] Andy Murray
>
>1R - Bye
>2R - Fabio Fognini
>3R - Alex Zverev
>QF - Tomas Berdych/Milos Raonic
>SF - Stan Wawrinka/David Goffin
>F - Rafa Nadal/Novak Djokovic
>
>Verdict: Tough, tough draw. Murray has been in bad form this year and this draw is not kind on his struggles. Fognini is one of the hardest players to draw in your first match at a clay tournament. Sascha Zverev right after is even harder. Then a quarterfinal which should not be too hard. A semi against an in-form Goffin or a possibly-resurgent Wawrinka will be difficult for Andy in his present condition, and if he makes it all the way to the final, it will most likely be either Nadal or Djokovic in his way.
>
>[2] Novak Djokovic

don't think djokovic will make it to nadal. could lose in 3R or QF.

>1R - Bye
>2R - Gianluca Mager
>3R - Nick Kyrgios/Gilles Simon
>QF - Kei Nishikori/Juan Martin del Potro
>SF - Rafa Nadal
>F - Andy Murray/David Goffin

bob

*skriptis

May 13, 2017, 7:30:02 AM5/13/17
Bharath Purohit <acebh...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Wish we had more trolls like you.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Patrick Kehoe

May 13, 2017, 11:59:41 AM5/13/17
How do you 'read' Murray's current mindset/form? He's looked like he's trying, but, his normally smothering return game doesn't seem up to par, yet... And he's not striking the forehand with as much authority as he was 6 months ago... What is your take on Murray?

stephenJ

May 13, 2017, 12:01:50 PM5/13/17
Well done, thanks.

---

RaspingDrive

May 13, 2017, 12:03:35 PM5/13/17
Murray will play peak tennis at the FO.

Court_1

May 13, 2017, 7:45:38 PM5/13/17
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 11:59:41 AM UTC-4, Patrick Kehoe wrote:

> How do you 'read' Murray's current mindset/form? He's looked like he's trying, but, his normally smothering return game doesn't seem up to par, yet... And he's not striking the forehand with as much authority as he was 6 months ago... What is your take on Murray?

Murray is spent for now. He gave everything he had to become #1 last year when Djokovic fell off a cliff. Murray is like the Kerber of the ATP. They both expended all of their energy winning slams and getting to #1 in 2016 and they aren't 22.

John Liang

May 13, 2017, 8:53:58 PM5/13/17
I am surprised that Murray never developed the mental resolve you expect to see in a player who got to the top the game. He is by far the mentally weakest or if not in a group of No.1 that is mentally very weak. When things started to go wrong on the court you can expect Murray to display all type negative body language like he was carrying an image rather than channeling his energy in a positive way. Murray got to No.1 largely thanked to the mental break that Djokovic took after achieving his life long dream of winning CGS and FO last year, Nadal lost in form and Federer's long break from the game after Wimbledon last year. He is a bit like Kafelnikov however his work ethic was a lot better than Kafelnikov.

The Iceberg

May 14, 2017, 5:50:39 AM5/14/17
Good Idea!!! :)

The Iceberg

May 15, 2017, 2:54:00 AM5/15/17
for once I kind of agree! although would say that with a guy like Lendl threatening to beat him up behind the scenes, Murray CAN match the top guys. What's annoying and very poor is now he is #1, he really should've smashed down all other opponents and what is worse is that he really had the opportunity, he should've won the AO and everything after that. He seems to make quite stupid decisions, like hiring 'that' woman as a coach, which was a waste of time just to make a stupid PC example, he's also now chosen to be lazy after getting to number 1, he prob change his mind later in the year with any luck.