Lendl and Becker playing their final match at a slam

1 view

Raja, The Great

Apr 22, 2011, 5:09:03 PM4/22/11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9zLAqQUmkU
They played many 5 setters didn't they? And that too in important
matches like slams and YECs.

Look at the power of Lendl forehand and backhand

Shakes

Apr 22, 2011, 6:38:54 PM4/22/11

Thanks for the clip. The video quality is much better than is usual
for matches of that period. Both of them hit with great power. Lendl
was 32 yrs old at the time. Amazing.

Raja, The Great

Apr 22, 2011, 6:42:24 PM4/22/11

I think it was sad he ran into Edberg the next round. He should have
probably won the title. I dont see Chang beating him in the semis and
then he would have easily taken care of Sampras in the finals.

Shakes

Apr 22, 2011, 6:47:26 PM4/22/11

Actually, he nearly beat Edberg. He was up a break in the fifth set. I
am not sure about him beating Sampras in the finals. Edberg put a lot
of pressure on Sampras by his chip-charge and attacking tactics, esp.
on the big points like break points. That's something that Lendl
didn't do. Further, Edberg's kick serve to the BH gave Sampras a lot
of trouble.

Raja, The Great

Apr 22, 2011, 6:52:23 PM4/22/11

Well Sampras had only a 5-3 winning record overall and Lendl also was
tied 2-2 with Sampras as of USO 1992. So it could have been possible.
Also if Lendl managed to beat both Becker and Edberg in the same
tournament he would have had the confidence that he was bound to win
the open.

Shakes

Apr 22, 2011, 6:59:21 PM4/22/11

Yes, it was definitely possible.

uly...@mscomm.com

Apr 22, 2011, 7:28:00 PM4/22/11
Lendl was a God, I loved him. But he was not winning a major in 1992.
His back was toast, as he has explained in (tedious) detail many times.

uly...@mscomm.com

Apr 22, 2011, 7:36:24 PM4/22/11
And it illustrates how depressing Fed's decline is, with his weak BH,
constant FH shanks, etc. Lendl was about one-one millioneth as
naturally talented as Fed but he still was consistent and lethal at
32. He just wasn't going to beat much younger talents like Pete,
Becker (in 1992) or Andre.

Raja, The Great

Apr 22, 2011, 8:18:18 PM4/22/11
On Apr 22, 6:28 pm, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
> Lendl was a God, I loved him. But he was not winning a major in 1992.
> His back was toast, as he has explained in (tedious) detail many times.

With a bit of luck anything can happen... a retirement or two, an
injury to a major opponent... who knows. Lendl always seemed to be
short of luck. How many times did he run into Becker and Edberg back
to back and McEnroe and Connors back to back in majors?

Raja, The Great

Apr 22, 2011, 8:19:23 PM4/22/11

He beat Becker in 1992 US Open and thats what this clip is from.

TT

Apr 23, 2011, 3:27:01 AM4/23/11

Only amazing to people who have homosexual fantasies about federer.

bob

Apr 23, 2011, 8:21:46 AM4/23/11

lendl was much more mechanical in his strokes than fed, much less to
go wrong. easily explained.

bob

bob

Apr 23, 2011, 8:22:42 AM4/23/11

imo, he could've beat becker at wimbledon 1 yr if not for bad
linescall. that was his chance to retire in peace and happiness.

bob

Whisper

Apr 23, 2011, 9:09:08 AM4/23/11

That's the only time he ever beat Becker in a slam, & it took 5 sets &
soft play from Boris (weak approach shots & volleys).

Raja, The Great

Apr 23, 2011, 11:50:51 AM4/23/11
On Apr 23, 7:22 am, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:18:18 -0700 (PDT), "Raja, The Great"

He is peaceful and happy. Don't be a douche, bob

Raja, The Great

Apr 23, 2011, 11:51:18 AM4/23/11

Why do you bring Federer in every thread?

ca1houn

Apr 23, 2011, 4:15:25 PM4/23/11

Most likely TT is the one having the homosexual fantasies

Raja, The Great

Apr 23, 2011, 4:20:04 PM4/23/11
On Apr 23, 7:22 am, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:18:18 -0700 (PDT), "Raja, The Great"
>
> <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 22, 6:28 pm, "ulys...@msomm.com" <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
> >> Lendl was a God, I loved him. But he was not winning a major in 1992.
> >> His back was toast, as he has explained in (tedious) detail many times.
>
> >With a bit of luck anything can happen... a retirement or two, an
> >injury to a major opponent... who knows. Lendl always seemed to be
> >short of luck. How many times did he run into Becker and Edberg back
> >to back and McEnroe and Connors back to back in majors?
>
> imo, he could've beat becker at wimbledon 1 yr if not for bad
> linescall.

You mean 1989?

Raja, The Great

Apr 23, 2011, 4:21:34 PM4/23/11

Have you even given credit to a worthy opponent for handing a loss to
one of your favorites? Learn to be a little more dignified and elevate
yourself about your cretinesque stature. You are no better than
Serena,

bob

Apr 24, 2011, 8:05:54 AM4/24/11

whis has 13 slams i don't know about?

bob

bob

Apr 24, 2011, 8:07:47 AM4/24/11

i don't recall if that was the yr, but he was a set apiece i believe
about to go up 2-1 and hit a ball on the baseline that was the wrong
call and it cost him the chance to brk becker and he lost the set and
the match. IMO, the way he was playing, if he got that brk, he had the
set and probably the match. going all on memory, need to research it
again but i remember the call.

bob