Could Federer have won the FO too?

soccerfan777

Jul 16, 2017, 12:09:23 PM7/16/17
That would have meant a calendar slam at this age!

Gracchus

Jul 16, 2017, 12:16:55 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 9:09:23 AM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:

> That would have meant a calendar slam at this age!

If he wins the USO, I'm sure he'll be quite happy to have 3-out-of-4 and #20. Decision to skip the FO was the right one.

kaennorsing

Jul 16, 2017, 1:33:36 PM7/16/17
Op zondag 16 juli 2017 18:09:23 UTC+2 schreef soccerfan777:
> That would have meant a calendar slam at this age!

Unlikely, with Rafa at a career high level. He may have beaten everyone apart from Rafa though, but he obviously didn't fancy it.

And, of course, even IF he did he may have then lost Wimbledon, so I'm glad he didn't.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2017, 1:36:56 PM7/16/17
No he wouldn't have won it and it meant nothing for him. He wanted Wimbledon and playing there would lower his chances.

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 16, 2017, 5:01:45 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 9:09:23 AM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:
> That would have meant a calendar slam at this age!

Doubtful. Rafa raging on his beloved clay.

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 16, 2017, 5:03:43 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 10:36:56 AM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> No he wouldn't have won it and it meant nothing for him. He wanted Wimbledon and playing there would lower his chances.

I wouldn't say "it meant nothing to him"... Feds made a strategic decision, which we all know about. The results from today confirm he and his teams thinking.

John Liang

Jul 17, 2017, 2:01:37 AM7/17/17
For Federer, his top priority is Wimbledon so he wanted to win Wimbledon more than any other events in this calendar year.

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 3:59:54 AM7/17/17
yes, he made a strategic decision to be scared enough to not go anywhere near Nadal on clay.

The Iceberg

Jul 17, 2017, 4:00:55 AM7/17/17
if they'd met in earlier rounds and Fed was having a good day, he might've had a chance, but in the final, not against that Nadal.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 7:51:25 AM7/17/17
On 17/07/2017 3:36 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> No he wouldn't have won it and it meant nothing for him. He wanted Wimbledon and playing there would lower his chances.

Only if Rafa retired hurt, which is always a chance (like last yr FO).

---
http://www.avg.com

bob

Jul 18, 2017, 9:15:46 PM7/18/17
i agree. but it's a very valid point. he surely would've made the
final.

bob