CANADA 150th

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 1, 2017, 3:12:06 PM7/1/17
Red and white everywhere... barbecues in the back yard, crowed beaches, parties in the parks, flags waving (ya, Canadians do that a few times a year), just a tad busy at the pubs and beer stores today...

Canadians know they have won the lottery of life to have either been born here or emigrated here; today we show it...

Cheers,

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 1, 2017, 4:28:29 PM7/1/17
Saw an interesting video on the BBC today related to the British North
America Act of 1867, which was instrumental in the creation of Canada
150 years ago.

I wasn't aware before, but the Act was created and agreed at Highclere
Castle, near Newbury, the home of the 4th Earl Carnarvon, who was at the
time the Colonial Secretary.

In the video the current Lady Carnarvon talked about discovering
documents signed by the main authors of the Act.

Much more recently Highclere Castle as featured as Downton Abbey in
the TV series.

When the 4th Earl died in 1890 his son became the 5th Earl. It was he
who became well known as the financial backer of Howard Carter's efforts
to locate and eventually excavate the tomb of Tutankhamun. The 5th Earl
was with Carter when the tomb was first opened. About 7 weeks after that
event the Earl died from a malaria bite which became infected by a razor
cut. It was this that led to the legendary 'Curse of Tutankhamun' said
to afflict all who entered the tomb.

Well worth a read for Canadians (and others):

<https://www.ladycarnarvon.com/a-constitutional-walk-for-canada-day/>

---

*skriptis

Jul 1, 2017, 4:30:02 PM7/1/17
Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> Wrote in message:
> Red and white everywhere... barbecues in the back yard, crowed beaches, parties in the parks, flags waving (ya, Canadians do that a few times a year), just a tad busy at the pubs and beer stores today...
>
> Canadians know they have won the lottery of life to have either been born here or emigrated here; today we show it...

Congratulaatins. Being a patriot is wonderful. But you're not
honoring your Queen?

Why?

stephenJ

Jul 1, 2017, 7:24:29 PM7/1/17
On 7/1/2017 2:12 PM, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
> Red and white everywhere... barbecues in the back yard, crowed beaches, parties in the parks, flags waving (ya, Canadians do that a few times a year), just a tad busy at the pubs and beer stores today...
>
> Canadians know they have won the lottery of life to have either been born here or emigrated here; today we show

Happy 150th Canada!

TennisGuy

Jul 1, 2017, 10:03:39 PM7/1/17
I have mixed feelings about today.
The natives are restless. And it's getting noisy.

TT

Jul 1, 2017, 11:03:24 PM7/1/17
Congrats. I imagine it looks like the Ewok party.

The Iceberg

Jul 3, 2017, 6:16:37 AM7/3/17
Patrick is prob too PC to do that.

The Iceberg

Jul 3, 2017, 6:17:41 AM7/3/17
Happy 150th to you there in the colonies! here's wishing a lovely year! :D