What speaks for the orange clown

calim...@gmx.de

May 29, 2017, 4:42:13 PM5/29/17
1. Beating Hillary
2. Deregulating the financial sector
3. Tearing apart the Paris climate deal
4. Intensifying US involvement in the Syrian civil war

But else????

Max

reilloc

May 29, 2017, 6:19:23 PM5/29/17
Your English is quite good but it should be "speaks to," since "speaks
for" at least implies "speaks in his name."

Of the four you list, the first is the only one with psychologically
personal significance for him. The second is most important to his
family and friends--but is full of risks. The last two only hold his
interest briefly and by necessity.

Seeing his name in print ought to be first on the list. If the headline
read, "Trump impeached and indicted," he'd still get a thrill.

LNC

TennisGuy

May 29, 2017, 6:52:53 PM5/29/17
On 5/29/2017 6:19 PM, reilloc wrote:
> On 5/29/2017 3:42 PM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
>> 1. Beating Hillary 2. Deregulating the financial sector 3. Tearing
>> apart the Paris climate deal 4. Intensifying US involvement in the
>> Syrian civil war
>>
>> But else????
>>

>> Max
>>

> Your English is quite good but it should be "speaks to," since
> "speaks for" at least implies "speaks in his name."
>

> LNC

You're a brave man!

I wouldn't know even where to begin to decipher this one:
"What speaks for the orange clown" :)

calim...@gmx.de

May 29, 2017, 7:52:11 PM5/29/17
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:19:23 AM UTC+2, reilloc wrote:
> On 5/29/2017 3:42 PM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> > 1. Beating Hillary
> > 2. Deregulating the financial sector
> > 3. Tearing apart the Paris climate deal
> > 4. Intensifying US involvement in the Syrian civil war
> >
> > But else????
> >

> > Max
> >

> Your English is quite good but it should be "speaks to," since "speaks
> for" at least implies "speaks in his name."

It's Indian English.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/His-lineage-speaks-for-him/article11604911.ece

> Of the four you list, the first is the only one with psychologically
> personal significance for him. The second is most important to his
> family and friends--but is full of risks. The last two only hold his
> interest briefly and by necessity.
>
> Seeing his name in print ought to be first on the list. If the headline
> read, "Trump impeached and indicted," he'd still get a thrill.

Until now there was only one US President in the last 100 years who was impeached.
Clinton.

Max

TennisGuy

May 29, 2017, 9:03:23 PM5/29/17
On 5/29/2017 7:52 PM, calim...@gmx.de wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:19:23 AM UTC+2, reilloc wrote:
>>>

>> Your English is quite good but it should be "speaks to," since
>> "speaks for" at least implies "speaks in his name."
>

> It's Indian English.
>
> http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/His-lineage-speaks-for-him/article11604911.ece

After twisting my brain in all kinds of weird contortions the past
hour or so, I believe I finally figured out what he meant!

He must have been referring to an alien, for otherwise he
would have said "Who speaks for the orange clown?".

*skriptis

May 29, 2017, 9:30:03 PM5/29/17
TennisGuy <TG...@techsavvy.com> Wrote in message:
Are you guys trolling?

His (intent is stupid but) sentence is perfectly clear.

soccerfan777

May 29, 2017, 9:39:52 PM5/29/17
What speaks about the orange clown? Isn't that the right usage?

*skriptis

May 29, 2017, 10:01:03 PM5/29/17
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> What speaks about the orange clown? Isn't that the right usage?

That sounds more neutral. Otoh, speaking for, as soaring on his
behalf, but in this case different actions and his views do the
speaking, not a person.

I don't know, maybe
phrasing is similar in his and mine language,
but I understood his (according to you) broken English perfectly.

The Iceberg

May 30, 2017, 3:21:34 AM5/30/17
You big Hillary fans find sentences difficult, eh

The Iceberg

May 30, 2017, 3:22:37 AM5/30/17
They knew but like Hillary they find it difficult to be honest LOL

*skriptis

May 30, 2017, 5:30:02 AM5/30/17
The Iceberg <iceber...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> You big Hillary fans find sentences difficult, eh

Hehe