cite of the old men's Philadelphia indoor tournament being demolished

John P

Nov 25, 2010, 1:00:38 PM11/25/10
RIP, Spectrum, home of that old tournament that used to take place in
late January, IIRC. Also former home of the NBA's 76ers and NHL's
Flyers. I'm guessing that Wendy is the only other one around here to
have been to the Spectrum for tennis.

Patrick Kehoe

Nov 25, 2010, 1:27:48 PM11/25/10

More importantly boxers from "Gypsey" Joe Harris to Bennie Briscoe to
Marvin Hagler to Willie "The Worm" Monro to "Boogaloo" Watts... :)

Superdave

Nov 25, 2010, 4:56:30 PM11/25/10

i've been there. i grew up near philly. used to go to connie mack all the time too.

John P

Nov 25, 2010, 9:48:13 PM11/25/10
Patrick,

you mention all those boxers but leave out Philly's own (IIRC) Smokin'
Joe Frazier?!

pltr...@xhost.org

Nov 25, 2010, 10:45:11 PM11/25/10
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:00:38 -0500, JT...@webtv.net (John P) wrote:

Wrong... 8;)

-- Larry (Jersey guy)

pltr...@xhost.org

Nov 25, 2010, 10:47:16 PM11/25/10

... and Big 5 basketball (in addition to the Palestra).

-- Larry

pltr...@xhost.org

Nov 25, 2010, 10:48:33 PM11/25/10
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 21:48:13 -0500, JT...@webtv.net (John P) wrote:

>you mention all those boxers but leave out Philly's own (IIRC) Smokin'
>Joe Frazier?!

... and Joey Giardello?

-- Larry

Pedro Dias

Nov 26, 2010, 1:15:07 AM11/26/10

Saw Sampras there, back in... Back in the early nineties. Forget the
year, forget the opponent. Hated the venue, though.

John P

Nov 26, 2010, 1:14:42 PM11/26/10
Larry,

Happy to have guessed wrong about Wendy being the only other one around
here to have attended that old Philly tournament at the Spectrum :-)

pltr...@xhost.org

Nov 26, 2010, 11:24:26 PM11/26/10

When I came back from Nam in 1970 was when I got really involved in
playing tennis. Living in Princeton, the WCT Philly event was my
"home" pro tournament from '71 until moving to DC in '83. I was a
volunteer worker there for about half of those years, even though it
was a bear of a commute due to the weather in January/February. I
never went after '83, though, getting involved with the DC event
(Sovran Classic) instead.

And, of course, the Fernbergers are two of the most important American
behind-the-scenes tennis people in the open era. It was a great
tournament.

What years were you there, John?

-- Larry