Tonight is the biggest game in women's soccer history: France vs. USA

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 8:22:50 AM6/28/19
If you ever considered watching a women's soccer game, this is the day. As always the setting doesn't necessarily guarantee great quality, but the atmosphere will be electrifying.

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 8:33:00 AM6/28/19
Lol... you really believe this hype. And if US wins against France, the semis vs England will not be the biggest day?

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 8:59:29 AM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 2:33:00 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Lol... you really believe this hype. And if US wins against France, the semis vs England will not be the biggest day?

That's why I didn't say it will be the best game ever. I was referring to media attention and market value. At a soccer World Cup it can't get any bigger than the home side taking on the tournament favorites. Actually France is also the #2 overall tournament favorite behind USA. So USA vs. England can't possibly be bigger than that.

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 10:29:04 AM6/28/19
France is playing like shit. England is far better. The US will tear France a new hole today. US vs England will be better quality. And whoever comes out of the other half of the draw will be dog meat against the US or England.... sorry Germany, always support you... but you are average.

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 10:36:51 AM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 4:29:04 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> France is playing like shit. England is far better. The US will tear France a new hole today. US vs England will be better quality. And whoever comes out of the other half of the draw will be dog meat against the US or England.... sorry Germany, always support you... but you are average.

Germany beats England in the World Cup final.

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 10:54:11 AM6/28/19
Germany may not be in the final at all. Italy has always knocked out Germany in World Cup, remember?

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 11:29:14 AM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 4:54:11 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Germany may not be in the final at all. Italy has always knocked out Germany in World Cup, remember?

I remember, but Bonansea is not Boninsegna, if you know what I mean (and you should know, if you're really a soccerfan).

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 11:35:34 AM6/28/19
Roberto Boninsegna! May he rot in hell!!
Bökelberg Stadium 1971 - nothing is forgotten!!!

Max

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 11:36:08 AM6/28/19
The names are not even similar. Might as well have said Madonna is not Maradona. But it is a curse Germans have never been able to get rid off.... and I think it will apply to women as well (and yes, winning in PK shootout does not count)... the Germans have never beaten Italy in World Cup or Euros.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany%E2%80%93Italy_football_rivalry#Statistics

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 11:54:49 AM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 5:36:08 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> The names are not even similar. Might as well have said Madonna is not Maradona. But it is a curse Germans have never been able to get rid off.... and I think it will apply to women as well (and yes, winning in PK shootout does not count)... the Germans have never beaten Italy in World Cup or Euros.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany%E2%80%93Italy_football_rivalry#Statistics

It certainly sounds very similar to me. Like if you pronounce "origins" correctly, it sounds excactly like "oranges".

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 12:11:12 PM6/28/19
Germany was knocked out by Italy in two World Cups - Mexico 1970 and Germany 2006. Both in the semis. But else?

Max

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 12:14:41 PM6/28/19
Sorry, only kicks.

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 12:15:29 PM6/28/19
How many times did they meet in knockout stages? Isn't that enough heartbreak for you? The second time it was in Germany.

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 12:47:18 PM6/28/19
Germany won the 1990 WC in Italy.

Anyway, for me Gladbach beating Bayern in a regular Bundesliga match is far more important than Germany winning the WC.

Max

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 3:44:19 PM6/28/19
US is leading 1-0. I see a lot of scared faces on the French side. It would have been the coach's job to give them more self-confidence. Even Macron told them not to be afraid. So far it didn't work out.

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 4:39:25 PM6/28/19
US leading 2-0. The French coach Diacre is a genius. It must be very hard to get so little out of so many good players. I see no strategy, no game plan, just blind panic. England will do much better against US.

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 4:58:14 PM6/28/19
US wins 2-1. Disastrous performance by a French team that couldn't cope with the pressure of a home side. This also means France will miss the Olympic Games 2020. US also not good, but very effective. However this US performance would probably not be good enough against England in the semis.

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 5:11:48 PM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 10:58:14 PM UTC+2, Geeam wrote:
> US wins 2-1. Disastrous performance by a French team that couldn't cope with the pressure of a home side. This also means France will miss the Olympic Games 2020. US also not good, but very effective. However this US performance would probably not be good enough against England in the semis.

I'm afraid Germany will win this. They are the most talented players. And have a plan.

Max

“Democrats fear Barr, you can smell it.“
(Washington Post, May 2nd, 2019)

Geeam

Jun 28, 2019, 5:33:38 PM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 11:11:48 PM UTC+2, Calimero wrote:
> I'm afraid Germany will win this. They are the most talented players. And have a plan.

Why afraid? Because there are no Gladbach players?

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 5:36:18 PM6/28/19
Yes.

Max

„Multiple independently produced datasets confirm that between 1880 and 2012, the global average (land and ocean) surface temperature increased by 0.85 °C. Since 1979 the rate of warming has approximately doubled (0.13 °C per decade, against 0.07 °C per decade).“
(Climate expert „Raja“ extrapolating the anthropogenic temperature rise until 2100 to about 0.48 °C, rec.sport.tennis, April 29, 2019).

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 5:39:15 PM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 4:36:18 PM UTC-5, Calimero wrote:
> On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 11:33:38 PM UTC+2, Geeam wrote:
> > On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 11:11:48 PM UTC+2, Calimero wrote:
> > > I'm afraid Germany will win this. They are the most talented players. And have a plan.
> >
> > Why afraid? Because there are no Gladbach players?
>

> Yes.

You are quite possibly the worst German I have ever conversed with.

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 5:45:54 PM6/28/19
Have you ever conversed with any Germans??

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2019, 5:51:27 PM6/28/19
Yes, many. I have a German in the family in fact

Calimero

Jun 28, 2019, 6:44:35 PM6/28/19
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 11:51:27 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> Yes, many. I have a German in the family in fact

And they support the German women's national team?

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 7:23:57 PM6/28/19
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:58:13 -0700 (PDT), Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>US wins 2-1. Disastrous performance by a French team that couldn't cope with the pressure of a home side. This also means France will miss the Olympic Games 2020. US also not good, but very effective. However this US performance would probably not be good enough against England in the semis.

i only watched the 1st half, and though i know nothing about soccer,
it appeared the french controlled the game, the ball, etc. but the US
got the goal. seems to happen a lot in soccer. was disappointing to
see the american girl who hates america get the 2 goals (and the last
4 for the team).

bob

Sawfish

Jun 28, 2019, 8:08:47 PM6/28/19
I would prefer to watch paint dry than to watch soccer.

"Doncha know,
That it's a shame and a pity
You were raised
Up in the city
And you never learned nothin'
'bout country ways."

--Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 8:14:05 PM6/28/19
never forget that 2006 match. GOALLLLLLL!!!!!

bob

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 8:41:08 PM6/28/19
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:11:46 -0700 (PDT), Calimero
<calim...@gmx.de> wrote:

>On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 10:58:14 PM UTC+2, Geeam wrote:
>> US wins 2-1. Disastrous performance by a French team that couldn't cope with the pressure of a home side. This also means France will miss the Olympic Games 2020. US also not good, but very effective. However this US performance would probably not be good enough against England in the semis.
>

>I'm afraid Germany will win this. They are the most talented players. And have a plan.

does the german team have players who call merkel dickhead and refuse
to sing your anthem?

bob

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 8:42:08 PM6/28/19
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:51:26 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
<zepf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, many. I have a German in the family in fact

you're not related to archana kranjaeger are you?

bob

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 8:43:02 PM6/28/19
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 17:08:46 -0700, Sawfish <sawfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 6/28/19 4:23 PM, bob wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:58:13 -0700 (PDT), Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> US wins 2-1. Disastrous performance by a French team that couldn't cope with the pressure of a home side. This also means France will miss the Olympic Games 2020. US also not good, but very effective. However this US performance would probably not be good enough against England in the semis.
>> i only watched the 1st half, and though i know nothing about soccer,
>> it appeared the french controlled the game, the ball, etc. but the US
>> got the goal. seems to happen a lot in soccer. was disappointing to
>> see the american girl who hates america get the 2 goals (and the last
>> 4 for the team).
>>
>> bob
>

>I would prefer to watch paint dry than to watch soccer.

i watch a few of the men's and women's WC matches when they get near
the finals. that's about it.

bob

*skriptis

Jun 28, 2019, 9:13:30 PM6/28/19
bob <b...@bob.com> Wrote in message:
They have Turks who pledge their allegiance to Turkish president.

Which isn't surprising, in fact it's normal that the Turks would
love Turkish president.

There was a big fuss about it, I've never understood why.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Sawfish

Jun 28, 2019, 9:13:44 PM6/28/19
We might expand this to ask all non-US RSTers:

1) Does you country change the date of national holidays to create 3-day
weekends, thus sublimating the actual event to be remembered and
celebrated to the convenience of getting the old lady and the kids into
the SUV and driving out to the lake for 3 days?

This is to say that Memorial Day, created for "remembering and honoring
the military personnel who perished while serving in theUnited States
Armed Forces
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces>", which was
May 31st, is now, and has been since 1971, observed on the last Monday
of May.

This goes for Veterans' Day, Labor Day, Martin Luther King Day, and
Presidents' Day. They all must now fall on a Monday to create a 3-day
weekend, regardless of those we purport to honor.

I, for one, look forward to the right-thinking politician who proposed
to celebrate the 4th of July, Independence Day, not on the 4th, but on
the nearest Monday.

...and I'd respect the French more if they did the same for Bastille Day...

2) Does/did your nation celebrate the birthday of presidents deemed to
be special, formative presidents? Ours did. We had Washington's
Birthday, which prior to 1971 was celebrated, of course, on his
birthday, 22 Feb.

We also had Lincoln's Birthday, also celebrated on his birthday
(natch!), 12 Feb.

Martin Luther King's Birthday is celebrated on the third Monday of
January, but the birthdays of the two heretofore formative presidents
had been melted into Presidents' Day, celebrated on the third Monday of
February.

So now we have an individual day for a martyred civil rights leader, but
a shared day for two formative US presidents.

But this seems right and proper to me, doesn't it to you, also? How in
the fuck could the Emancipation Proclamation ever compare to "I had a
dream...", huh?

3) Following MLK Day in January, do you have the entire month of
February delegated to Black History Month, to further identify and honor
black achievement? Our nation proudly has this.

4) Following the celebration for all of February, in your country is all
of March devoted to Women's History Month, to identify and honor the
achievements of women? Our nation proudly has this.

5) After a break to catch our collective breath after all this wonderful
and unifying self-aggrandizem..., er, ah, "celebration", do you devote
the entire month of June to Gay Pride Month? If not, I'm sorry to point
out that your nation is benighted, and far behind ours...

Don't you wish that your nation was as serious about identifying past
wrongs and setting the record straight as the US is?

I'll bet you do...

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Barbecue grills on fire behind the condominiums that line the 9th fairway. I watched casual strollers slip on dog excrement on the boardwalk near the amusement pier. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

"Time for lunch."

--Sawfish

*skriptis

Jun 28, 2019, 9:26:51 PM6/28/19
Sawfish <sawfi...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Why do you think it all happened, how?

Sawfish

Jun 28, 2019, 9:40:23 PM6/28/19
Good question, as always...

All of this happened within my lifetime. I can recall thinking at the
time--if I thought about it at all--that it was a decent thing to do to
make traditional underdogs feel welcome and to improve their self-concept.

Little did I know...

"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 10:35:48 PM6/28/19
On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 03:13:29 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
<skri...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:

>bob <b...@bob.com> Wrote in message:
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 14:11:46 -0700 (PDT), Calimero
>> <calim...@gmx.de> wrote:

>>>I'm afraid Germany will win this. They are the most talented players. And have a plan.
>>
>> does the german team have players who call merkel dickhead and refuse
>> to sing your anthem?
>

>They have Turks who pledge their allegiance to Turkish president.

but that's a turk, not a german, right? like we have africans,
germans, etc - even a greek got the MVP - playing in the NBA.

but they don't intentionally disrespect the national anthem during a
pregame.

>Which isn't surprising, in fact it's normal that the Turks would
> love Turkish president. There was a big fuss about it, I've never understood why.

bob

bob

Jun 28, 2019, 10:38:44 PM6/28/19
On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 18:40:19 -0700, Sawfish <sawfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
you're aware of the phrase, give an inch...

bob

Sawfish

Jun 28, 2019, 10:42:55 PM6/28/19
Coming out of the 60s, it seemed like the thing to do...

--
"It is Pointless, and endless Trouble, to cast a stone at every dog
that barks at you."

--Sawfish

Geeam

Jun 29, 2019, 3:47:01 AM6/29/19
On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:13:30 AM UTC+2, *skriptis wrote:
> They have Turks who pledge their allegiance to Turkish president.

You're mainly talking about Mesut Özil here. And he's not a Turk, he's a German citizen. I think he presently doesn't hold dual citizenship, but it also doesn't make any difference. Because: I don't understand what's the point of having a German NATIONAL team, if some of the players don't really think they're Germans, but only decided to play for the German national team, because it's better for their careers. And it's been made a lot worse by the fact that Özil pledged allegiance to a Turkish president who by all standards is (unlike Trump) a real wanna be dictator. So I decided to stop watching games of the national team, if one of the players acted like Mesut Özil. The national team should stand for unity and the common culture and values of its country. And if it doesn't stand for that anymore, I don't need a national team.

Calimero

Jun 29, 2019, 6:20:16 AM6/29/19
Özil „pledged allegiance to a Turkish president“?
What??

Any links?

Max

Geeam

Jun 29, 2019, 8:06:10 AM6/29/19
On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 12:20:16 PM UTC+2, Calimero wrote:
> Özil „pledged allegiance to a Turkish president“?
> What??
> Any links?

It's a matter of definition, and I would see it that way. Why else would he choose him as best man? Everybody would do that, right? LOL

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48564192

In case you need new evidence that the earth isn't flat, just let me know!

Calimero

Jun 29, 2019, 8:20:52 AM6/29/19
On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 2:06:10 PM UTC+2, Geeam wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 12:20:16 PM UTC+2, Calimero wrote:
> > Özil „pledged allegiance to a Turkish president“?
> > What??
> > Any links?
>
> It's a matter of definition, and I would see it that way. Why else would he choose him as best man?

Maybe Merkel was not available?

BTW, did you swear allegiance to your best man? That would be weird, IMO.

Max

“I’ve never seen a woman with this aura in my life.”
(David Letterman, US talk show host, on Steffi Graf, 2009)

Geeam

Jun 29, 2019, 8:41:40 AM6/29/19
On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 2:20:52 PM UTC+2, Calimero wrote:
> Maybe Merkel was not available?

No, that's not it. Think again.

> BTW, did you swear allegiance to your best man? That would be weird, IMO.

Where did I suggest that. I was talking specifically about Özil, not about every wedding and every best man in the universe. Do you really defend multiculturalism as eagerly as it seems, or are you just trolling like always?

> “I’ve never seen a woman with such gross feet in my life.”

Calimero

Jun 29, 2019, 9:07:49 AM6/29/19
On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 2:41:40 PM UTC+2, Geeam wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 2:20:52 PM UTC+2, Calimero wrote:
> > Maybe Merkel was not available?
>
> No, that's not it. Think again.

Ah, Merkel is no man!

> > BTW, did you swear allegiance to your best man? That would be weird, IMO.
>
> Where did I suggest that.

You suggested that choosing someone as best man proves you are pledging allegiance to him.

> I was talking specifically about Özil, not about every wedding and every best man in the universe. Do you really defend multiculturalism as eagerly as it seems, or are you just trolling like always?

Where did I defend multiculturalism and what is that anyway?

> > “I’ve never seen a woman with this aura in my life.”
> > (David Letterman, US talk show host, on Steffi Graf, 2009)

Max

“I’ve never seen a woman with this aura in my life.”

bob

Jun 29, 2019, 5:10:20 PM6/29/19
On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:47:00 -0700 (PDT), Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
i agree. your politics is your choice, but keep it away from the
playing field. that platform is for you to perform your trade, if you
want to run for office by all means do it on your own time. and it
goes double if it's a national team in int'l competition.

bob

Brian Lawrence

Jun 30, 2019, 5:54:50 AM6/30/19

Geeam

Jun 30, 2019, 7:32:16 AM6/30/19
On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 11:54:50 AM UTC+2, Brian Lawrence wrote:
> <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2019/06/29/megan-rapinoe-emerges-usas-leader-example-catalyst-change/>

Rapinoe is just another virtue signalling self-absorbed activist. What is she actually fighting for except improving her own personal brand? I don't understand what she wants to accomplish that hasn't already been accomplished?

bob

Jun 30, 2019, 12:46:49 PM6/30/19
she should protest on her own platform. not one given to her by USA
soccer.

bob

bob

Jun 30, 2019, 12:49:56 PM6/30/19
On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 04:32:15 -0700 (PDT), Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 11:54:50 AM UTC+2, Brian Lawrence wrote:
>> <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2019/06/29/megan-rapinoe-emerges-usas-leader-example-catalyst-change/>
>
>Rapinoe is just another virtue signalling self-absorbed activist. What is she actually fighting for except improving her own personal brand? I don't understand what she wants to accomplish that hasn't already been accomplished?

exactly. 1 thing i've told friends is that she is using this
opportunity for personal notoriety, to make a name, try to get the
left to give her a bigger platform (which AOC has done).

i never heard of her until last week, now she's on top of every news
cycle. if an athlete goes "anti american" and "anti trump" they
suddenly become a "media darling."

bob