New Federer under Annacone vs the old Federer before Annacone

PeteWasLucky

Apr 1, 2011, 11:30:47 PM4/1/11
Annacone for Federer = very aggressive game + stay on the baseline +
hit flat + all about great timing.
What does this mean on a very slow court in heavy conditions?

Means going for a winner but the ball comes back to him while he is
stuck on the baseline with less time and ground to chase balls or time
them nicely means can't get the balls back or bad timing resulting in
UE.

Federer is really confused now, he used to stay behind the baseline
when needed and now he is being pushed by Annacone to be aggressive
and stay on the baseline.
Well this has no chance to succeed on slow courts but it may work in
Wimbledon and it's not working against Djokovic on fast HC as well.
Federer doesn't have any margin under his new aggressive game, he is
either having a perfect day to win or losing every match he is a
little below perfect.
I can see Annacone leaving soon, I believe Federer will be confused
like hell after this match, and the only way to clear this frustration
is to be alone again, no noises in his ears.
Annacone didn't have to train any player to play today's aggressive
+defensive-mix-game, and I doubt he will be able to adjust or
understand the need to be defensive in a match.
Too sad to see him going, bye-bye Annacone.

TT

Apr 1, 2011, 11:37:38 PM4/1/11
2.4.2011 6:30, PeteWasLucky kirjoitti:
> Annacone for Federer = very aggressive game + stay on the baseline +
> hit flat + all about great timing.
> What does this mean on a very slow court in heavy conditions?
>
> Means going for a winner but the ball comes back to him while he is
> stuck on the baseline with less time and ground to chase balls or time
> them nicely means can't get the balls back or bad timing resulting in
> UE.

That makes no sense, on a very slow court he has MORE time. No use
reading further...

kikikikiki

Shakes

Apr 2, 2011, 12:53:16 AM4/2/11

If he stays and plays from the baseline, taking the ball on the rise,
it should actually mean less time for his opponent, no ? That was
Agassi's whole game.

Manco

Apr 2, 2011, 2:43:16 AM4/2/11
Agreed, Annacone is useless for finding out ways to beat Nadal/
Djokovic.

Manco

Apr 2, 2011, 2:43:43 AM4/2/11
Yeah he made many UFE on balls that he had PLENTY of time on today. It
was horrible to watch. The inevetiable decline.

Carey

Apr 2, 2011, 3:33:05 AM4/2/11

Manco wrote:
> Yeah he made many UFE on balls that he had PLENTY of time on today. It
> was horrible to watch. The inevetiable decline.

Where's ca1houn when you (we) need him?

felangey

Apr 2, 2011, 9:08:26 AM4/2/11
> Federer is really confused now, he used to stay behind the baseline
> when needed and now he is being pushed by Annacone to be aggressive
> and stay on the baseline<

I don't think he is confused at all.....read his presser. Firstly he didn't
execute his attacking game well at all. Secondly, coming off the baseline
wasn't working cause he was volleying for shoit...but he made plenty
chances.Thirdly.....sometimes you just don't cut the mustard on a surface
better tailored to your opponent. Nadal has this ridiculous high percentage
loopy hitting thing down....on a slow high boucing court like this...that is
a tough beat. Lets see what happens over the surfaces. Even clay can yield
more to work with for Fed from here...as droppers die easier.

As always there is no use being 'rst absolutist'. Annacone will stay....and
together they will look at ways to kick things up....work out the errors.
Tell you what though, this Fed at Miami gives me a little more to hope in
than Miami 09 Fed who couldn't get the ball in the court....and was smashin'
up his racquet.

Sakari Lund

Apr 2, 2011, 9:20:14 AM4/2/11
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:08:26 +0100, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:

>Thirdly.....sometimes you just don't cut the mustard on a surface
>better tailored to your opponent.

This surface thing doesn't give much hope for Fed though these days,
because apparently better suited for Nadal are clay, grass, and most
of the HC surfaces. If Fed still wants to beat the top two guys, he
better accept that the surfaces are what they are, or else he can only
concentrate on winning London YEC.

Court_1

Apr 2, 2011, 9:22:26 AM4/2/11
On Apr 2, 9:08 am, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:

> Tell you what though, this Fed at Miami gives me a little more to hope in
> than Miami 09 Fed who couldn't get the ball in the court....and was smashin'
> up his racquet.

Neither situation was pretty in my opinion!

Vari L. Cinicke

Apr 2, 2011, 9:53:04 AM4/2/11

Both Nadal and Djokovic have great court coverage and can hit high balls
to Federer repeatedly, especially focusing on the BH side. Federer's
marginal loss of speed means that much less margin on his shots. There
will be bad days.

Time to move on to red clay.

--
Cheers,

vc

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 2, 2011, 10:15:13 AM4/2/11
Vari L. Cinicke wrote:

> Time to move on to red clay.

Another Holiday in Cambodia. Get the hankies ready, fedfuckers, it's
going to be pity fucking all day long for a while.

--
"Listen first! Hiss later!"

felangey

Apr 2, 2011, 10:28:44 AM4/2/11
> This surface thing doesn't give much hope for Fed though these days,
> because apparently better suited for Nadal are clay, grass, and most
> of the HC surfaces<

Oh yeah, no doubt....the retardation :) of the game across the board has
hurt attacking tennis as a product, not just Fed.

There are still nuances....and not just the overall speed of the
surface...the playing characteristics. Point in fact, you will note that
London was a pretty darn slow court....but it was the slightly lower bounce
that offered up opportunity for Fed. And of course you are correct, you have
to work out how to maximize what you have on the surface you are on. Despite
what some may say, it is still early days for team Fedacone in this respect.

We await the promise of better things to come. Overall, I still feel
positive about this season.

PeteWasLucky

Apr 2, 2011, 10:36:44 AM4/2/11
> Agassi's whole game.- Hide quoted text -

Not true, they create more and more time for themselves retreating
behind the baseline. Check the match point of Fed/Nadal AO final, see
where Federer is standing and where Nadal is playing. The old days of
not being able to hit powerful shots from 10ft behind the baseline is
gone specially for Nadal.

Katya

Apr 2, 2011, 11:52:12 AM4/2/11

Don't bet on it. It looks unlikely now, but what if Fed comes up with
something ?
Honestly, this is a nice little project for the Maestro in his
Gotterdammerung days.
Fsure no multislam feats, but a big final here and there.
If somebody can do it, it's him.

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 2, 2011, 11:55:18 AM4/2/11

Anything goes, trollop.

Katya

Apr 2, 2011, 12:03:24 PM4/2/11

I'm not convinced on the half-foot slow angle.
Rather the rest of the tour hits harder and spinnier, and they
perfected that schtick.
Feds only sublimated more his classics based game over the years and I
have always been in wonder how he lasted that long with that puny
shield: I love him for the economy of his means.

Katya

Apr 2, 2011, 12:05:08 PM4/2/11
On Apr 2, 9:53 am, "Vari L. Cinicke" <variesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Forgot this, I'm curious: what do you expect from clay ?

uly...@mscomm.com

Apr 2, 2011, 12:17:58 PM4/2/11
I was a big fan of Annacone when he was a player and even though I
never liked Sampras, I thought he was a superlative coach for Pete.

The accepted adage in tennis is: "Change a losing game."

Fed never even attempted to do this in his entire career until
Annacone. Not once.

For instance, after losing the first set of the Wimbledon final in
'08, why didn't Roger alter his game slightly? Serve and volley 20%
instead of 10%, MOVE OVER IN THE DEUCE COURT to adjust to Rafa serving
to his BH literally 99% of the time. The only time Rafa served to
Fed's FH in that match were on BP's. So he knows where the serve is
going 99% of the time and he STILL can't return it consistently?

Why didn't Fed adapt the strategy he used in the Italian Open final
(where he had match points against Rafa), and attack Rafa's BH and
come in? He did this in Hamburg and won easily against Nadal. He won
the first set of the '06 FO 6-1 by doing this. As Baghdatis famously
said, "Nadal does not like to be pressured. He doesn't like someone
coming in on his BH."

So all credit to Annacone for at least altering Fed's game slightly
because it NEEDED altering. I would rather see him go out with a bang
than a whimper. It wouldn't matter how he played last night, he wasn't
going to beat Nadal, who was playing brilliantly.

It is a fact that he no longer can rally from the back of a torturouly
slow court and win matches against top-form Nadal, Djokibitch or Del
Potro. Annacone knows it's a fact, so did Cahill, who told him this
during their ill-fated 2 week hook up in Dubai a couple years back.

Connors and Agassi both changed their games significantly after they
turned 30. Connors changed himself into a perfectly capable volleyer.
Andre became a machine hitting at 70% of his maximum pace, but wearing
down everyone with almost no UE's. Fed needs to alter his game as
well. Even then, he might not win another slam, but for Christs sakes,
fight against your decline and try something different. He's been
doing this, Kudos to Annacone.

Katya

Apr 2, 2011, 12:20:06 PM4/2/11

I'm not gonna be your 1-900-SHAKE. In my harem, you're an eunuch.

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 2, 2011, 12:40:26 PM4/2/11
Katya wrote:
> On Apr 2, 11:55 am, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> wrote:
>> Katya wrote:
>>> Don't bet on it. It looks unlikely now, but what if Fed comes up with
>>> something ?
>>> Honestly, this is a nice little project for the Maestro in his
>>> Gotterdammerung days.
>>> Fsure no multislam feats, but a big final here and there.
>>> If somebody can do it, it's him.
>> Anything goes, trollop.
>>
>> --
>> "Listen first! Hiss later!"
>
> I'm not gonna be your 1-900-SHAKE.

Say something coherent then.

Katya

Apr 2, 2011, 1:04:13 PM4/2/11
On Apr 2, 12:40 pm, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> wrote:
> Katya wrote:
> >> Anything goes, trollop.
>
> >> --
> >> "Listen first! Hiss later!"
>
> > I'm not gonna be your 1-900-SHAKE.
>
> Say something coherent then.
>
> --
> "Listen first! Hiss later!"

It's no fun initiating boys.(stress on 'fun')

If you're not TT's sockie, you should be. You both need clear, laid
out targets, to plant the venomous verdicts and spray the bile. And
most of the time it's just truisms and common places you contribute.
As the eunuchs, you lack something: the ability to not be 100%
positivistic.
That and the TT handle thinking he owns the place.
Make an effort and read between the lines. Cuz, to quote a classic:
'I don't give a shit: if I wanna talk, I'll talk' (USO 2009)

I meant that I hope Fed finds a style that's *obviously* a response to
the spin doctors. Nothing so far, but this is his project, for sure.
Annacone looks right on paper, but maybe Cahill woulda been better.
And if Cahill is as good as they say he is, that would be a nice
project for him too.

And don't reply with 'Why didn't you say it like that'. Remember:
'fun'

Joe Ramirez

Apr 2, 2011, 2:13:04 PM4/2/11
On Apr 2, 10:15 am, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> wrote:
> Vari L. Cinicke wrote:
>
> > Time to move on to red clay.
>
> Another Holiday in Cambodia. Get the hankies ready, fedfuckers, it's
> going to be pity fucking all day long for a while.

Your posting really has degenerated in recent weeks. Now it's just
about nonstop wankery.

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 2, 2011, 2:22:00 PM4/2/11

Ok, ok, ok. You have my apologies. The original one-liner was out of line.

> I meant that I hope Fed finds a style that's *obviously* a response to
> the spin doctors.

On clay? Time isn't on his side. Not because he's getting old, he still
has a couple of years of physically top tennis. But because he's losing
the locker room game with the top three already and every day there'll
be somebody who watches TV and gets the idea that he too can beat Feddy.
Especially on clay which is the topic. The draws are getting tougher.

> Nothing so far, but this is his project, for sure.
> Annacone looks right on paper,

For clay? Everything Annacone brings to the table aims at shortening
points. How can that be a recipe on clay? Maybe they're chucking RG for
Wimbledon?

> but maybe Cahill woulda been better.
> And if Cahill is as good as they say he is, that would be a nice
> project for him too.

I'm not one for this coach guessing game. I think if Feddy does it
himself, and obviously he has, it carries the seed of losing the plot.
He should have corrected this a long time a go.

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 2, 2011, 2:24:47 PM4/2/11

I'm mingling. This is RWT.

GOYLE

Apr 2, 2011, 2:40:36 PM4/2/11

I think about half of the posting styles on rst are disgusting.

Katya

Apr 2, 2011, 4:58:13 PM4/2/11
On Apr 2, 2:22 pm, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> wrote:
> Katya wrote:

No need to apologize: insults, profanity don't bother me at all. You
can mingle: the retort was for the easy dismissal.
He got to 16 his way, he says he's not stopping soon so I would think
he'll work on something, coach or not.

(The clay question was for Vari)

Pelle Svanslös

Apr 2, 2011, 5:54:52 PM4/2/11

It's like reading smoke signs. Sorry, can't and won't read them.

Have a good day.