Raonic undergoes hip surgery

Katya

Jul 8, 2011, 7:06:13 AM7/8/11

felangey

Jul 8, 2011, 7:23:35 AM7/8/11
Damn, I had hoped it wouldn't be so serious. Hope he is able to bounce back
quickly.

TT

Jul 8, 2011, 7:45:16 AM7/8/11
8.7.2011 14:23, felangey kirjoitti:
> Damn, I had hoped it wouldn't be so serious. Hope he is able to bounce back
> quickly.

Hopefully he'll retire. No need for serve only players.

felangey

Jul 8, 2011, 7:48:06 AM7/8/11
>Hopefully he'll retire. No need for serve only players<

He has more game than that wee man. In addition, he doesn't wield his
racquet like a shovel, which is always nice to see.

Superdave

Jul 8, 2011, 9:15:25 AM7/8/11

yeah. sad to hear this. he has potential. I hope he is back soon.

TT

Jul 8, 2011, 9:16:30 AM7/8/11
8.7.2011 14:48, felangey kirjoitti:
>> Hopefully he'll retire. No need for serve only players<
>
> He has more game than that wee man.

No he doesn't. Don't call me wee man, I'm older than you.

> In addition, he doesn't wield his
> racquet like a shovel, which is always nice to see.

I thought you were a fan of Söderling. Anyway, you're probably worst
poster at rst atm. Congrats.

felangey

Jul 8, 2011, 10:00:25 AM7/8/11
>No he doesn't. Don't call me wee man, I'm older than you<

I address only your juvenille online persona. :)

>Anyway, you're probably worst poster at rst atm. Congrats<

Wow....winning! :)

Court_1

Jul 8, 2011, 10:46:56 PM7/8/11
On Jul 8, 7:23 am, "felangey" <her...@re.com> wrote:
> Damn, I had hoped it wouldn't be so serious. Hope he is able to bounce back
> quickly.

He is young. He will bounce back quickly. I know a few people who have
had hip replacement surgery and they are various ages. It is very
advanced today and even the elderly can bounce back quickly after this
surgery with proper care.

TennisGuy

Jul 9, 2011, 12:44:27 AM7/9/11

I know someone in my family who is extremely young, had hip surgery
and now has a permanent pronounced limp. YMMV.

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 12:52:15 AM7/9/11

Yikes! That is not good. Was the doctor who performed the surgery top
notch? I have not heard of that happening before.

Nope, the people I know who have had it done are as good as new now,
thankfully!

Joe Ramirez

Jul 9, 2011, 1:04:40 AM7/9/11
On Jul 8, 10:46 pm, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Raonic had hip surgery, NOT hip replacement surgery. Huge difference!
I doubt that he would be able to resume a professional tennis career
after a hip replacement.

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 1:33:13 AM7/9/11

Well of the three people I know who had hip surgery, one had hip
surgery and two had hip replacement surgery. I was confusing the two
in my response above re Milos. He just had hip surgery you are right
so that is not as serious as hip replacement. The people that I know
who had hip replacement surgery are very active now in sports and do
various things such as skiing and golf. However, yes I agree with you
that if Milos had hip replacement surgery he would be unlikely to
resume his "pro" tennis career. :)

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 9, 2011, 2:11:25 AM7/9/11

Some sort of minor (though still in the hip isn't good news) surgery -
not a protracted surgery, according to a sports web buddie of mine
from Toronto...

Joe Ramirez

Jul 9, 2011, 9:50:20 AM7/9/11

The bad news for Raonic is that (1) the surgery steals time from him
during an absolutely crucial phase of his rise and development, and
(2) it may indicate a classic injury-prone, "big man" fragility.

TennisGuy

Jul 9, 2011, 3:48:30 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 9:50 am, Joe Ramirez <josephmrami...@netzero.com> wrote:

> The bad news for Raonic is that (1) the surgery steals time from him
> during an absolutely crucial phase of his rise and development, and
> (2) it may indicate a classic injury-prone, "big man" fragility.

+1

TennisGuy

Jul 9, 2011, 3:50:47 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 12:52 am, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I know someone in my family who is extremely young, had hip surgery
> > and now has a permanent pronounced limp. YMMV.
>
> Yikes! That is not good. Was the doctor who performed the surgery top
> notch? I have not heard of that happening before.

I don't know who the doctor was, but I doubt he was top notch, far
from it.
From the results, it appears that he damaged some nerves in the
process. :(

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 9, 2011, 4:07:46 PM7/9/11

?????????????????????????????

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 9, 2011, 4:07:22 PM7/9/11

Well... developmentally Raonic is already 'there' with regards to
playing a 'significant match' with big game ability and the confidence
to keep pushing even as you know you are in a learning phase... I
don't believe he's 'fragile'... of course you can be unlucky and that
pretty much can work out to be the same thing... he's a patient and
mature young man for a person just 20 and that's going to be a
positive for him... he's quite bright for a tennis player (and
thoughtful) as well :)))

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 5:36:21 PM7/9/11
> P- Hide quoted text -

He seems to have his head together but he has not reached the apex of
fame yet so we will see. I like him so far.

Court_1

Jul 9, 2011, 5:35:14 PM7/9/11
> (2) it may indicate a classic injury-prone, "big man" fragility.- Hide quoted text -

Possibly, but I hope not. I really hope he can make it big! He does
appear to be injury prone that is for sure.

TennisGuy

Jul 9, 2011, 6:07:43 PM7/9/11

Was born with a hip out of joint.
Had to have the hip put back into the joint.

Katya

Jul 9, 2011, 6:23:47 PM7/9/11

Raonic had his op done in Vail.The clinic there is tops for
laparoscopic interventions - work is done with scoops, on videocams,
no muscles cut, just tunnels that heal fast. Most likely trimming of a
cartilage (the labrum is typically nicked for a fall like Raonic's).
He could've had the work done in Ottawa, but Vail is where the NHL and
NBA goes. Cartilage work lets an athlete squeeze a career out of his
best years.
Also, cartilage damaged as result of violent trauma is not indicative
of one's pre-disposition to joint injuries.

TennisGuy

Jul 9, 2011, 7:57:53 PM7/9/11

Sounds like we have a doctor in the house! :)

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 9, 2011, 8:28:19 PM7/9/11

My right knee agrees with you!

Violent impacts and dislocating traumas do the trick... been there and
HAD THAT DONE...

:)

Katya

Jul 9, 2011, 11:19:15 PM7/9/11
On Jul 9, 7:57 pm, TennisGuy <Jeffery21...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sounds like we have a doctor in the house!  :)

Got my expertise four years ago on Yahoo's 'labralicious' forum (I
have contemplated a stay at Best Western also)

Few orthos did laparoscopies of the hip - the one in Ottawa had a 1-2
years waiting list. Most will tell you they can't do a proper job
without opening the joint. The Vail, CO option used to cost around 50k
for a Canadian, all in, way sooner admission.