Nice match for Melz.

1 view

felangey

Apr 15, 2011, 8:12:39 AM4/15/11
Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
played.

RzR

Apr 15, 2011, 8:16:16 AM4/15/11
On 15.4.2011. 14:12, felangey wrote:
> Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
> played.

watch him meltz in the next round :)

Yama

Apr 15, 2011, 8:19:32 AM4/15/11
felangey <b...@home.com> wrote:
: Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
: played.

Very good and clean match, but wind messed up Federer badly, he could barely hit
the ball at all. Even his putaway forehands were weak and Meltzer got many back.

RzR

Apr 15, 2011, 8:31:12 AM4/15/11

time to hit the weightroom for fed maybe?

GOYLE

Apr 15, 2011, 9:05:34 AM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 7:12 am, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:
> Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
> played.

Yes, great play from Federer and Meltzer considering the weather and
conditions. I figured Federer might have trouble against the lefty.
Meltzer just played a bit of a higher level today with a lot less
UFE's.

Patrick Kehoe

Apr 15, 2011, 9:09:17 AM4/15/11

He will not do it... and it's going to hurt him from now till he
retires...

Katya

Apr 15, 2011, 9:09:52 AM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 8:12 am, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:
> Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
> played.

0/7 on bp and 50% second serve won

Why 1:44 hrs for 6-4 6-4 ?

felangey

Apr 15, 2011, 9:15:53 AM4/15/11
>Why 1:44 hrs for 6-4 6-4 ?<

Melz left the court for a while at the start....and there were a lot of long
games.

Court_1

Apr 15, 2011, 9:16:33 AM4/15/11

Melzer did not play that well, but it was well enough to beat the
awful Fed today.

Court_1

Apr 15, 2011, 9:18:00 AM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 9:09 am, Katya <katya.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 8:12 am, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
> > played.
>
> 0/7 on bp and 50% second serve won

That was the awful part. Would the younger and in peak form Roger ever
not have converted 7 break points? Not a chance. The man is in serious
decline. Sad but true.

Patrick Kehoe

Apr 15, 2011, 9:27:01 AM4/15/11

From 2002 till half of 2007 his break point conversions were
amazing... in the latter part of 2007 it seemed to just vanish almost,
truly a bizzare career sea change... over 2008 till this year, he's
leaving buck loads of break chances and has still managed to win many,
many majors and big events... amazing really...

Court_1

Apr 15, 2011, 9:43:35 AM4/15/11

It is amazing but I think his luck and ability to rely on other skills
may be running out now. :(

felangey

Apr 15, 2011, 9:55:47 AM4/15/11
>Melzer did not play that well<

Oh yeah....sure. Do you even watch the matches? He played great.

Court_1

Apr 15, 2011, 9:59:08 AM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 9:55 am, "felangey" <o...@cloudnine.com> wrote:
> >Melzer did not play that well<
>
> Oh yeah....sure. Do you even watch the matches? He played great.

I watched a lot of the match. He was playing well, but Federer was
also playing terribly so really Melzer did not have to go to a very
high level to beat Federer today. That is the way I saw it. Federer
beat himself mostly once again imo.

felangey

Apr 15, 2011, 10:02:10 AM4/15/11
>That is the way I saw it. Federer beat himself mostly once again imo.<

Well that is a bit of a non-opinion....as Fed's results have born out that
when he plays well he can beat most people. So when he loses....you can
easily say he beat himself.

That not withstanding, it is - imo - an injustice to Melzer to say he didn't
play well today. He was nailing the lines....having good success on his drop
shot.....keeping Fed off balance with shot selection and disguise....serving
terrific. Anything less....and Fed would have ground out one of his 'bad
day' victorys.

Court_1

Apr 15, 2011, 10:07:45 AM4/15/11

I agree that Melzer was playing well, but Fed was also playing badly.
It is a combo of those two things. Error prone Federer showed up today
and also a Fed that could not convert break points. Fed had his
chances and was not able to convert. It is not like Melzer was playing
some kind of outworldly tennis. He was playing well, but Fed was
playing like shit. 2+2=4.

TT

Apr 15, 2011, 12:21:31 PM4/15/11
15.4.2011 16:27, Patrick Kehoe kirjoitti:

> From 2002 till half of 2007 his break point conversions were
> amazing...

THAT IS INCORRECT!

I have pointed it out for you earlier, listing fed's break point
conversion rate for every year and you STILL insist on same false claim.

The fact is Federer has always been poor at converting break points.

> in the latter part of 2007 it seemed to just vanish almost,
> truly a bizzare career sea change...

No.

I don't remember if there was a _slight_ change at some point, but that
can be explained pretty much by his matches against Nadal, for example
at 2007 FO final getting 1/14 if I recall correctly...

kaennorsing

Apr 15, 2011, 12:47:44 PM4/15/11

Yes, my feeling is Fed's always been poor at converting break points.
Certainly in relation to his ability to create break opportunities...
One reason for that is his weaker backhand return on the ad court.

RzR

Apr 15, 2011, 1:05:44 PM4/15/11

why would you even know this? lol

uly...@mscomm.com

Apr 15, 2011, 1:51:15 PM4/15/11
Rafa saved 16/17 breakpoints against Fed in the 2007 FO final. I just
Googled it.

And their '09 Aussie Open match was another outrageously poor display
from Fed on BP's.

RzR

Apr 15, 2011, 3:26:15 PM4/15/11

just imagine how many grand slams would roger have if he was any
good...and how much all the other slam winners suck :D

Iceberg

Apr 15, 2011, 5:18:46 PM4/15/11

interesting point.

Iceberg

Apr 15, 2011, 5:59:53 PM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 8:26 pm, RzR <2r4z...@gmail.com> wrote:

it was fair enough to miss the BP's in the 2009 AO final, that was
some tennis being played out there!

TT

Apr 16, 2011, 3:45:13 AM4/16/11
15.4.2011 20:51, uly...@msomm.com kirjoitti:
> Rafa saved 16/17 breakpoints against Fed in the 2007 FO final. I just
> Googled it.

That's damn impressive stat from Rafa.

Sakari Lund

Apr 16, 2011, 11:34:57 AM4/16/11
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:12:39 +0100, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:

>Another scalp....and some fantastic play right through the match. Well
>played.

I had the feeling after Miami that Federer might have a bad clay
season. I almost posted about it, but didn't. Basically he had had a
pretty good year, only losing to Djokovic and Nadal, so on that basis
there was no reason to think so. But somehow I feel with his aging and
all, the clay is going to be difficult. This was just the first
tournament though, we'll see.