Is Murray British?

*skriptis

May 14, 2017, 4:30:03 PM5/14/17
I've seen many people, sites, questioning his Britishness over the
years.

He's Scottish of course, but that means he's also British. No one
said he's English. Scotland and Britain form Britain.

Otoh this Joshua boxer guy who beat Klitschko, nobody questions
his Britishness.

But Joshua is a black Muslim and had a tattoo of Africa during his
fight vs Klitschko. You can't get any less British than being
Muslim African.

Is this world totally irrational or what?
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

TennisGuy

May 14, 2017, 4:37:53 PM5/14/17
On 5/14/2017 4:12 PM, *skriptis wrote:
> I've seen many people, sites, questioning his Britishness over the
> years.
>
> He's Scottish of course, but that means he's also British. No one
> said he's English. Scotland and Britain form Britain.
>

> Otoh this Joshua boxer guy who beat Klitschko, nobody questions
> his Britishness.
>
> But Joshua is a black Muslim and had a tattoo of Africa during his
> fight vs Klitschko. You can't get any less British than being
> Muslim African.
>
> Is this world totally irrational or what?

Not according to Icey.
Seems they've had a falling out (of sorts). LOL!

Brian W Lawrence

May 15, 2017, 7:25:52 AM5/15/17
On 14/05/2017 21:12, *skriptis wrote:

> I've seen many people, sites, questioning his Britishness over the
> years.
>
> He's Scottish of course, but that means he's also British. No one
> said he's English. Scotland and Britain form Britain.

All citizens of the UK are British, but the 'native population' of the
individual countries are ethnically English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish.
Any immigrants are of whatever ethnicity they are, but may also identify
as English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish, particularly if they were born
and/or live in a particular country.

> Otoh this Joshua boxer guy who beat Klitschko, nobody questions
> his Britishness.
>
> But Joshua is a black Muslim and had a tattoo of Africa during his
> fight vs Klitschko. You can't get any less British than being
> Muslim African.

See above. British essentially means a citizen of the UK, though it
has other meanings too. There are ~5m British Asians, ~2m Black British,
~1.5m Mixed-Race British citizens. The majority (white) population
includes immigrants from most countries of the world.

> Is this world totally irrational or what?

Well those who question Murray's Britishness are being irrational.

---
http://www.avg.com

TT

May 15, 2017, 7:30:14 AM5/15/17
Is Murray brutish?

The Iceberg

May 15, 2017, 11:00:59 AM5/15/17
Eh?! Course Muzza is a Brit!!! You must be right weird, in your world can only guess any yank sportsman that has a run of poor form, you instantly revoke their citizenship!

Jason White

May 21, 2017, 1:42:40 PM5/21/17
0% British, 100% Scottish. He voted for Scottish Independence.

Brian W Lawrence

May 22, 2017, 1:30:28 PM5/22/17
On 21/05/2017 18:42, Jason White wrote:

> 0% British, 100% Scottish. He voted for Scottish Independence.

He wasn't eligible to vote - he doesn't live in Scotland.

The Iceberg

May 23, 2017, 2:54:02 AM5/23/17
On Monday, 22 May 2017 18:30:28 UTC+1, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> On 21/05/2017 18:42, Jason White wrote:
>
> > 0% British, 100% Scottish. He voted for Scottish Independence.
>
> He wasn't eligible to vote - he doesn't live in Scotland.

he did support Scottish Independence, lost a lot of fans cos of that and that fair enough, like when he said he supported any team other than England - all the media and middle classes were up in arm, BUT that is defacto Scottish opinion, go to Scotland and ask any Jock and they'll give you the same answer, it English/Scottish rivalry and it great fun!