Federer v Nadal USO final?

Whisper

Jul 16, 2017, 11:04:34 AM7/16/17

That would be an amazing way to cap an amazing yr. 2 slams each for the
old guys?

---
http://www.avg.com

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2017, 11:12:51 AM7/16/17
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
Nadal will not be in the US open final. Trust me.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

SliceAndDice

Jul 16, 2017, 11:55:52 AM7/16/17
You seem to have decided Nadal would win? :)

ali...@alinefx.com

Jul 16, 2017, 11:59:25 AM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 11:04:34 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
No it wouldn't be to slams each for the two guys, it will be three slams for the fed and only one slam for Nads because fed would kick his ass all over the place at the U.S. Open

Carey

Jul 16, 2017, 12:08:46 PM7/16/17
It's funny watching Limpy try to move the goalposts yet again. His blithe idiocy
knows no bounds.

NINETEEN.

heh

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 16, 2017, 5:24:55 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:04:34 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
> That would be an amazing way to cap an amazing yr. 2 slams each for the
> old guys?

It would be, just, goodness, mind-blowing. Just them meeting in the USO final would have epic implications. IF that ever happened and IF Rafa could win he would be able to do a 'legacy jujitsu' move on Feds, to reverse some of the after glow effects Feds garnered by defeating him (Rafa) at the AO in January.

And, of course, he'd be able to say (or his fanbase would) that Rafa would have defeated Roger in at least one of all four major finals. A kind of untouchable marker of historic 'talking points' proportions.

A win for Roger would just add more concrete at the footing of his personal monumentality within the era and the history of tennis and sports generally.

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 16, 2017, 5:47:49 PM7/16/17
You're getting involved in more coudda-woulda, for a guy who claimed some years ago that he hated to speculate, hence hated coudda-woulda.

Is that a collateral damage of Federer's ever growing legacy ?
Or have you changed your mind ?

jdeluise

Jul 16, 2017, 5:51:40 PM7/16/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:47:48 -0700, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> You're getting involved in more coudda-woulda

Whisper is the king of coulda-woulda and always has been. That's why he
so violently opposes the concept. Sort of like the homophobic gay
republicans that keep getting outed...

kaennorsing

Jul 16, 2017, 6:56:59 PM7/16/17
Op zondag 16 juli 2017 17:04:34 UTC+2 schreef Whisper:
> That would be an amazing way to cap an amazing yr. 2 slams each for the
> old guys?

This is eerily similar to your dumbass prediction of Rafa beating Fed at Wimbledon in straights this year, based on the FO and their h2h history... Just ignore all the 'irrelevant' stuff that happened this year (like Roger totally owning Rafa this year on less favorable surfaces than grass).

Both destined to fail, epically, although I hope they do meet in the USO final.

undecided

Jul 16, 2017, 6:59:45 PM7/16/17
I also had Rafa beating Fed in the final in Hops Contest. I was hoping for a 5 set thriller though. It would have been a glorious match, the #1 and #2 both in great form meeting in the final. Rafa had to go and fuck it all up for me.

Jason White

Jul 16, 2017, 7:17:12 PM7/16/17
Federer/Nadal finals typically produce five-seters, which is why people love to see them play. Everyone was hoping for a competitive match today also. Could have been, if it weren't for the foot. Didn't get a nailbiting tiebreaker. Maybe next time.

RaspingDrive

Jul 16, 2017, 8:36:31 PM7/16/17
Don't bet on Rafa on grass. He will raise your hopes only to leave you disheartened.

RaspingDrive

Jul 16, 2017, 8:39:02 PM7/16/17
Part of that may be due to Federer's mindset, explained by himself in today's interview: He thought he was going to lose the third set!

jdeluise

Jul 16, 2017, 8:42:28 PM7/16/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:36:29 -0700, RaspingDrive wrote:

> Don't bet on Rafa on grass. He will raise your hopes only to leave you
> disheartened.

Like Nishi on all surfaces?

SliceAndDice

Jul 16, 2017, 8:46:45 PM7/16/17
I think it is foolhardy to bet on Nishi on any surface. The guy is a brilliant shotmaker, but too diminutive and fragile to be at the very top rung. He is a good for a upset or two. That said, I hope he wins a slam.

Court_1

Jul 16, 2017, 11:55:33 PM7/16/17
Personally, I hope for a competitive Fedal final at the USO. These players other than the Big Four (when the Big Four are playing well) are huge disappointments to watch. They simply can't step up in the most crucial moments. Even with Cilic who was playing very good grass court tennis this season, when he has to face Big Four members he usually fumbles. Just think if he had to play Nadal and then Murray. I don't think he would have made it to Federer in that case. His draw opened up and he was able to get to Federer. But I would NEVER bet on Cilic in a slam final over a Federer in decent form.

Court_1

Jul 16, 2017, 11:57:13 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 11:12:51 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
> >

> > That would be an amazing way to cap an amazing yr. 2 slams each for the
> > old guys?
> >

> > ---
> > http://www.avg.com
> >

> Nadal will not be in the US open final. Trust me.

Who will be then? Nadal is a lot better on hc than he is on grass.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 12:11:38 AM7/17/17
> Who will be then? Nadal is a lot better on hc than he is on grass

He won two grass slams in one tournament and three HC slams in two tournaments.
I think we will see one of these in the final: Kyrgios, Zverev, Dimitrov, Berdych, Cilic, Djokovic.

Gracchus

Jul 17, 2017, 12:12:23 AM7/17/17
Shall we quote you on this? Choo! Choo! ;)

Court_1

Jul 17, 2017, 12:39:21 AM7/17/17
Kyrgios? He has a hip injury and doesn't give two shits. Zverev isn't good enough yet. Berdshit? Come on. Cilic--maybe. It depends on his draw. Dimitrov is completely useless and Djokovic is dealing with all kinds of crap at the moment. If he plays the USO, I doubt he'll make the final. His form isn't back to where it needs to be yet. Nadal made the AO final. Then we have to see if Wawrinka can defend the USO(if he doesn't have to play Djokovic in a final, does he really have a chance? :) )

Let's see what happens at the Masters 1000s--Canada and Cinci first.

Court_1

Jul 17, 2017, 12:41:36 AM7/17/17
No, not yet. Let's see how the hc Masters 1000s go first and then let's see the USO draw and then you can quote me.

I'm hoping for a Fedal USO final because I can't stand watching most of these other fools disintegrate against top players. If Djokovic and Murray aren't in good form, who's left? Federer and Nadal.

Gracchus

Jul 17, 2017, 12:52:36 AM7/17/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 9:41:36 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:12:23 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > > Who will be then? Nadal is a lot better on hc than he is on grass.
> >
> > Shall we quote you on this? Choo! Choo! ;)
>
> No, not yet. Let's see how the hc Masters 1000s go first and then let's see the USO draw and then you can quote me.

Fair enough.

> I'm hoping for a Fedal USO final because I can't stand watching most of these other fools disintegrate against top players. If Djokovic and Murray aren't in good form, who's left? Federer and Nadal.

Yes, amazing how few mentally robust players there are in the current top 20. Back in the day, I don't remember guys like Gerulaitis melting down against Borg, Connors, etc. He lost to them because simply because he had no big weapons.

Jason White

Jul 17, 2017, 12:54:00 AM7/17/17
On hardcourts, it's more competitive. It's the main surface of the tennis tour, so everyone is good on it. Don't forget how close some of those Australian matches were. Federer barely escaped a few times. I expect the US Open will contain more competitive matches, similar to Australia. Whereas he's virtually untouchable on grass.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 6:27:05 AM7/17/17
On 17/07/2017 1:12 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
>>

>> That would be an amazing way to cap an amazing yr. 2 slams each for the
>> old guys?
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.avg.com
>>

> Nadal will not be in the US open final. Trust me.

I'd like to, but there is absolutely no reason to trust you.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 6:46:03 AM7/17/17
> I'd like to, but there is absolutely no reason to trust you

I am trying to help instead of the nadal beating Federer in straight sets in wimbledon.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 7:13:41 AM7/17/17
You missed the '?'

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 8:27:43 AM7/17/17
This isn't coulda/woulda.

Coulda/woulda is saying Fed woulda won FO, Rafa would have won AO if... etc.

This is discussing the very real prospect of a Fed v Rafa USO final.
It's only 2 months away so their form is not going to drop off a cliff.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 8:29:31 AM7/17/17
Anticipating a USO final between the 2 best players is not coulda/woulda
ffs.

They are the 2 best picks to make the final even at this point. Who
else is more likely?

Court_1

Jul 17, 2017, 8:34:22 AM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 8:29:31 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
> On 17/07/2017 7:51 AM, jdeluise wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:47:48 -0700, Manuel aka Xax wrote:
> >

> >> You're getting involved in more coudda-woulda
> >
> > Whisper is the king of coulda-woulda and always has been. That's why he
> > so violently opposes the concept. Sort of like the homophobic gay
> > republicans that keep getting outed...
> >

> Anticipating a USO final between the 2 best players is not coulda/woulda
> ffs.
>
> They are the 2 best picks to make the final even at this point. Who
> else is more likely?

PeteWasLucky gave a list of players he thinks are more likely than Nadal to make a USO final in another thread--Berdshit, Dimitrov, Kyrgios, Zverev and Djokovic. Ha ha. Oh boy! *rolls eyes*

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 9:08:37 AM7/17/17
Pete likes to pretend Rafa is a journeyman. Odd fellow.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 17, 2017, 9:34:43 AM7/17/17
> PeteWasLucky gave a list of players he thinks are more likely than Nadal to make a USO final in another thread--Berdshit, Dimitrov, Kyrgios, Zverev and Djokovic. Ha ha. Oh boy! *rolls eyes*

The list I gave was a partial list of players that can take Nadal out in uso.

Add Wawrinka, Muller, that Italian guy, etc.

SliceAndDice

Jul 17, 2017, 10:15:36 AM7/17/17
Nadal is much more prone to being upset at the US Open than he is on clay. He has made a grand total of 3 finals in his career. Therefore it is premature to speculate on this "dream" final at this point. It could be a Wimbledon-like scenario, for example: Fed vs a surprise finalist. If Kyrgios screws his head on right and Zverev continues improving as he is, both are capable of taking Nadal out on hard. As is Cilic.

Whisper

Jul 17, 2017, 10:20:12 AM7/17/17
Hmm, Fed last won USO in 2008 right? That's *9* years ago - nearly a
decade.

Rafa has won it twice since then.

SliceAndDice

Jul 17, 2017, 10:33:12 AM7/17/17
Agree, but a lot of those losses were mental. He should have really won: 2010-11 USO semi, 2009 and 2015 USO finals but his mental game was off (2009 he just did not seem to care too much, first and only time I have seen him that way and I attribute it to him being a first time father). The 2017 Fed is the best *mentally* I have seen him since 2007. The Fed of the last 7 or so years would have probably lost to Berdych in the semis or made it awfully complicated.

The USO is no gimme for Fed. But it isn't for Nadal either.

bob

Jul 18, 2017, 9:40:23 PM7/18/17
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 01:04:27 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

>That would be an amazing way to cap an amazing yr. 2 slams each for the
>old guys?

much as i like nadal, i don't seem him winning much off clay anymore.
he might get an AO, but mostly clay. i think he's reserved in his mind
that his best chances to both stay healthy and win are clay heavy.

if he were healthier all his career, i'd agree with you.

bob

bob

Jul 18, 2017, 10:14:19 PM7/18/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:55:31 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
<olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Personally, I hope for a competitive Fedal final at the USO. These players other than the Big Four (when the Big Four are playing well) are huge disappointments to watch. They simply can't step up in the most crucial moments. Even with Cilic who was playing very good grass court tennis this season, when he has to face Big Four members he usually fumbles.

i watched him get destroyed by djok at uso a couple yrs ago, it was
embarrassing. cilic does that sometimes.

fact is nobody under 28yrs old even close to competitive. sad. but til
then, yes, i'll hope for some fedal matches.

>Just think if he had to play Nadal and then Murray. I don't think he would have made it to Federer in that case. His draw opened up and he was able to get to Federer. But I would NEVER bet on Cilic in a slam final over a Federer in decent form.

bob

ahonkan

Jul 19, 2017, 2:41:18 AM7/19/17
On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 07:10:23 UTC+5:30, bob wrote:

> much as i like nadal, i don't seem him winning much off clay anymore.
> he might get an AO, but mostly clay. i think he's reserved in his mind
> that his best chances to both stay healthy and win are clay heavy.
>
> if he were healthier all his career, i'd agree with you.
>
> bob

Rafa already knows this and arranges his 'injuries' to enable him to
rest for half the year, come back strong and rule the dirt.

Carey

Jul 19, 2017, 10:31:43 AM7/19/17
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 11:41:18 PM UTC-7, ahonkan wrote:

> Rafa already knows this and arranges his 'injuries' to enable him to
> rest for half the year, come back strong and rule the dirt.

Yes. Incredibly odd that despite N's many, many 'injuries', he has never
missed a clay court season.

bob

Jul 19, 2017, 7:08:36 PM7/19/17
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 07:31:41 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
not odd, i believe ahonkan is probably right.

bob

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 20, 2017, 6:13:52 AM7/20/17
Last time Rafa made it to USO final (no matter "peak form" and shits alike or not) ?