Denis Shapovalov

SliceAndDice

Aug 9, 2017, 4:40:25 PM8/9/17
The 18 year old just beat DelPo in straights to set up a potential third round encounter with Nadal.

I have been following this kid's career over the past year or so. He has a great lefty serve, firepower off both wings especially that lovely one-handed backhand, an all-court game and does not seem intimidated by the big stage. He nearly upset Berdych in Queen's (a Berdych who was playing superbly), has beaten Kyrgios before and now DelPo. Always liked his game but beginning to feel more and more like he's the real deal.

Anyone else has any thoughts on him?

SliceAndDice

Aug 9, 2017, 4:41:56 PM8/9/17
P.S. I know that DelPo has been a shell of himself this year, but it still isn't easy to beat him.

Carey

Aug 9, 2017, 5:12:35 PM8/9/17
I don't have much to add, just that I watched a clip of him (was it you who
posted initially about him? I think so) and thought he looked good, esp that
BH. I'd love to see a young guy finally break through, esp with a one-hander. :)

kaennorsing

Aug 10, 2017, 6:33:35 AM8/10/17
Op woensdag 9 augustus 2017 22:40:25 UTC+2 schreef SliceAndDice:
> The 18 year old just beat DelPo in straights to set up a potential third round encounter with Nadal.
>
> I have been following this kid's career over the past year or so. He has a great lefty serve, firepower off both wings especially that lovely one-handed backhand, an all-court game and does not seem intimidated by the big stage. He nearly upset Berdych in Queen's (a Berdych who was playing superbly), has beaten Kyrgios before and now DelPo. Always liked his game but beginning to feel more and more like he's the real deal.
>
> Anyone else has any thoughts on him?

He's the one who fired a missile straight at the umpire's face during a DC match last year I believe... One of the scariest things I've seen on a tennis court. Could have easily killed the guy, or blinded him for life. At least he looked terrified after it, which he should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbYoB5sdWo4

Carey

Aug 10, 2017, 9:56:58 AM8/10/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 3:33:35 AM UTC-7, kaennorsing wrote:

> He's the one who fired a missile straight at the umpire's face during a DC match last year I believe... One of the scariest things I've seen on a tennis court. Could have easily killed the guy, or blinded him for life. At least he looked terrified after it, which he should.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbYoB5sdWo4

Wow. That is horrible.

The Iceberg

Aug 10, 2017, 10:03:33 AM8/10/17
Oh that's why his name is familiar! Annoyingly didn't see him at Wimbledon except possibly in doubles, else would like to give an assessment.

SliceAndDice

Aug 10, 2017, 11:57:13 AM8/10/17
Yeah, and seems to have learned his lesson. Wasn't it Edberg who killed a line umpire when he was a junior? Heavy price to pay, but look how he turned out.

SliceAndDice

Aug 10, 2017, 11:58:23 AM8/10/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 10:03:33 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> Oh that's why his name is familiar! Annoyingly didn't see him at Wimbledon except possibly in doubles, else would like to give an assessment.

Look first round to Janowicz, unfortunately.

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 10, 2017, 12:45:39 PM8/10/17
Dennis' movement really stands out to me. He has quickness, dynamic balance and to go along with that a fairly well developed sense of anticipation for an eighteen year old budding pro. Yes, he can hit it big off the serve and forehand, but his backhand has some work needed, in terms of trageting... Naturally, given his age, he needs to establish more patience with some of his hitting patterns; presumably, that will come with experience. He certainly LOVES the fight and challenge of ATP elite play. Which can be a priceless quality of mind/game for an ambitious and talented kid/pro.

kaennorsing

Aug 10, 2017, 1:19:10 PM8/10/17
Op donderdag 10 augustus 2017 17:57:13 UTC+2 schreef SliceAndDice:
Yes, Edberg's serve allegedly hit a backboard and then fatally bounced into the linesman's head. This looked far worse since he hit the umpire directly out of anger, though obviously he didn't intend it... All power to him if he manages a Edberg type career, wouldn't mind seeing that. Beating Rafa today would be a nice start :))

SliceAndDice

Aug 10, 2017, 10:18:33 PM8/10/17
Just taken Nadal to a third with some lights out tennis.

SliceAndDice

Aug 10, 2017, 10:40:34 PM8/10/17
You seem to be implying that he directed the ball at the umpire willfully (correct me if I am wrong) which, if you have information that I do not, is a much more serious offense and should have cost him more than a match default. I think he struck the ball in anger caused by losing his serve and horribly misdirected it.

SliceAndDice

Aug 10, 2017, 11:06:43 PM8/10/17
I believe Canada is all set to enter a golden age in tennis. The other kid Auger-Aliassime may be even more talented than Shap.

Court_1

Aug 10, 2017, 11:10:14 PM8/10/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
> I believe Canada is all set to enter a golden age in tennis. The other kid Auger-Aliassime may be even more talented than Shap.

Shap is fabulous. He's got the full package--talent, belief and motivation!

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 11, 2017, 3:29:55 AM8/11/17
And exciting player to watch, needless to say... bodes well for his future... kid loves the big challenges and seems to be learning LITERALLY match to match... amazing... being 18 its all discovery and adventure and commitment... wonderful to see... He hit 28 forehand winners to Rafa's 5... something like that...

kaennorsing

Aug 11, 2017, 5:09:54 AM8/11/17
Op vrijdag 11 augustus 2017 04:40:34 UTC+2 schreef SliceAndDice:
> You seem to be implying that he directed the ball at the umpire willfully (correct me if I am wrong) which, if you have information that I do not, is a much more serious offense and should have cost him more than a match default. I think he struck the ball in anger caused by losing his serve and horribly misdirected it.

Not really. I know he didn't intend to hit it to the umpire. He looks like a good kid. Still, lucky he didn't kill him and I'm sure he learned his lesson and will never again hit a ball in such anger towards anyone nearby...

Anyway, he's sure earning likeability points with his game and his win over Rafa today!

Whisper

Aug 11, 2017, 5:11:48 AM8/11/17
Has to do it in a slam to really count.

---
http://www.avg.com

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 7:32:25 AM8/11/17
33

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 7:37:24 AM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 5:11:48 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
> On 11/08/2017 1:10 PM, Court_1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
> >> I believe Canada is all set to enter a golden age in tennis. The other kid Auger-Aliassime may be even more talented than Shap.
> >
> > Shap is fabulous. He's got the full package--talent, belief and motivation!
> >

> Has to do it in a slam to really count.

No shit! The fact that he is only 18 and just beat a 15 time major winner (who is a slam winner this year to boot) does not count in your world. The fact that this was a pretty high stakes match (said 15 GS winner was gunning for world number 1 at this tournament) also does not count.

Now go on and tell us how Shap is going to have a Pioline level career.

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 8:06:32 AM8/11/17
Lol just like Raonic , eh! Yet you cheered against him at Wimbledon!

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 8:07:37 AM8/11/17
Have to wait and see, he crashed out first round of Wimbledon, he'd better do better at the USO but definitely one to watch.

Whisper

Aug 11, 2017, 11:17:55 AM8/11/17
You think he's a shoo-in to make Wim/USO finals?

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 11:48:32 AM8/11/17
Nobody is a shoo-in, including Fed and Nadal. This isn't the Newcastle club. But does he have the potential? Absolutely.

Court_1

Aug 11, 2017, 12:09:30 PM8/11/17
Compare his attitude to a guy like Kyrgios' attitude. It makes all the difference in getting to the top and staying there. I hope this kid is the real deal.

Shapovalov has a nice game to watch too. He has that Bjorn Borg look as well!

Court_1

Aug 11, 2017, 12:17:48 PM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 5:11:48 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
> On 11/08/2017 1:10 PM, Court_1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
> >> I believe Canada is all set to enter a golden age in tennis. The other kid Auger-Aliassime may be even more talented than Shap.
> >
> > Shap is fabulous. He's got the full package--talent, belief and motivation!
> >

> Has to do it in a slam to really count.

He's 18 and has to start somewhere. He broke a lot of records yesterday, i.e.the youngest quarter-finalist at an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, the second-youngest player to beat Nadal, the youngest player to reach the tournament’s quarter-finals since Bjorn Borg in 1974, the youngest to beat a player ranked in the top two in the world since Nadal beat Federer in 2004 in Miami. You have to give the kid a lot of credit and only hope he can continue going upward. Tennis needs it.

Whisper

Aug 11, 2017, 12:27:58 PM8/11/17
Agreed, but we've had too many false starts. Forgive me for not being
too excited.

PeteWasLucky

Aug 11, 2017, 12:33:02 PM8/11/17
> Shapovalov has a nice game to watch too. He has that Bjorn Borg look as well!

I watched the highlights, the kid has big swings, should do well on slower surfaces, with great stamina he can do well on clay and slower HC surfaces.

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 1:24:28 PM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 12:33:02 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > Shapovalov has a nice game to watch too. He has that Bjorn Borg look as well!
>
> I watched the highlights, the kid has big swings, should do well on slower surfaces, with great stamina he can do well on clay and slower HC surfaces.

You are wrong there. Watch his match against Berdych in Queens'. Berdych played very well (Wimbledon semifinal well) and Shap nearly took him out.

SliceAndDice

Aug 11, 2017, 1:27:23 PM8/11/17
Though you did not have an issue pegging Tomic for multiple slams when he had achieved exactly zilch. :)

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 1:56:23 PM8/11/17
Fed is 1000% a shoe-in for the USO final, nobody else is turning up at the event.

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 1:57:45 PM8/11/17
Eh?!! You were hollering about how great Kyrgios was a month or so ago, we heard about his talent and fight etc you sure have changed your tune!

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 2:00:11 PM8/11/17
Tomic has always had the talent to win slams, just way too lazy, that's the difference. Haven't an 18 year old like him since, but haven't seen this kid yet so will let you know when do see him.

Court_1

Aug 11, 2017, 2:40:14 PM8/11/17
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 1:57:45 PM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> Eh?!! You were hollering about how great Kyrgios was a month or so ago, we heard about his talent and fight etc you sure have changed your tune!

I always said Kyrgios had a lot of talent but unfortunately he doesn't give a crap and I don't think he will change that attitude. In addition, he (like Raonic and Nishikori) is injured all the time.

I want to watch youngsters with talent AND drive. I don't give a crap about players who make QFs or win a couple of 250 events in their lives. I only watch to see great competitors play other great competitors.