Jimmy Connors- Best 2-hander ever?

Carey

Jul 31, 2016, 7:42:43 PM7/31/16
I think it's a reasonable call. Other contenders: Mecir, mid-career Agassi (ugh),
Djokovic; who else?

Court_1

Jul 31, 2016, 8:50:05 PM7/31/16
Agassi, Djokovic, Connors, Borg (in no particular order.)

Scott

Jul 31, 2016, 8:51:14 PM7/31/16
What about Tomic?

Carey

Jul 31, 2016, 9:07:50 PM7/31/16
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-7, Scott wrote:
> What about Tomic?

How could I forget? ;)

Tier3

Jul 31, 2016, 11:28:31 PM7/31/16
>I think it's a reasonable call. Other contenders: Mecir, mid-career Agassi (ugh),
Djokovic; who else? <

A 2-handed Rosewall. Always underspun and always perfectly struck.

Guypers

Jul 31, 2016, 11:42:28 PM7/31/16
Murray, cilic, rafa, nishi, berdych, and 100 others today have better bhs than jimbo, even ryan harrison and serena!!

Bharath Purohit

Aug 1, 2016, 4:35:07 AM8/1/16
Nadal has the best 2 hander backhand.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2016, 4:59:52 AM8/1/16
On 1/08/2016 9:42 AM, Carey wrote:
> I think it's a reasonable call. Other contenders: Mecir, mid-career Agassi (ugh),
> Djokovic; who else?

You have to have Borg & Rafa in the mix.

For an epic bh on a huge point just look at the ripper Borg produced on
match point in '80 Wimbledon final.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2016, 5:02:13 AM8/1/16
On 1/08/2016 10:50 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> Agassi, Djokovic, Connors, Borg (in no particular order.)

I'd actually have to go with Borg. End of the day you have to make that
shot count when it matters most, & Borg did it better than just about
anybody.

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 1, 2016, 6:01:50 AM8/1/16
On 1.8.2016 11:59, Whisper wrote:
> On 1/08/2016 9:42 AM, Carey wrote:
>> I think it's a reasonable call. Other contenders: Mecir, mid-career
>> Agassi (ugh),
>> Djokovic; who else?
>>

> You have to have Borg & Rafa in the mix.

Rafa's BH is a safety first shot. For the most part of his career 9/10
of the balls he got to his BH, he simply spun back to the opponents BH.
Nothing remarkable about that.

Then came Djok who took advantage of Rafa's 1 track mind and pwnd him.

Sorry. No Rafa here. Rafa's BH is a reliable neutral shot, second class
compared to Andy and Djok. Them's the best BHs on the planet since Big Bang.

John Liang

Aug 1, 2016, 6:17:51 AM8/1/16
Nadal's backhand is not in the mix and it just did not match the backhand of Murray or Djokovic's . A safe shot that predictably going across the court most of the time.

bob

Aug 1, 2016, 8:35:13 AM8/1/16
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 19:02:10 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:
i agree with borg, he had the excess net clearance and heavy topspin
that allowed it to be more consistent.

it just seems to me that when connors and borg got into those rallies,
jimmy would too often hit the tape.

not only are those 4 great BHs listed though, but 4 very different
ones.

bob

Whisper

Aug 1, 2016, 8:39:15 AM8/1/16
Andy who?

If you're seriously going to suggest Murray then this is an example of
'ceibs on steroids' if I ever saw one.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2016, 8:42:06 AM8/1/16
Generally speaking any time you find yourself thinking the current top 2
players have the best of anything 'all time', then it's a big clue you
may be suffering some ceibs fever.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2016, 8:49:32 AM8/1/16
Yes, & in that kind of group you have to pick the guy who breaks down
less & wins more - that's Borg.

We're not talking about players like Wawrinka or Henin who had some
freakish god-like talent to clock winners at will from any position.
The 4 guys mentioned above are not in that kind of category - they are
more probing bh's waiting for the right ball to take advantage. With
Stan you had to hold your nuts when hitting to his bh as it could be
ripped absolutely anywhere.

*skriptis

Aug 1, 2016, 10:01:03 AM8/1/16
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
Not even Djokovic in he areas of return or determination?
At least flexibility? :)
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Carey

Aug 1, 2016, 12:51:17 PM8/1/16
Borg yes; Nadal no, I can't agree.

grif

Aug 1, 2016, 1:32:26 PM8/1/16
On 01/08/2016 00:42, Carey wrote:
> I think it's a reasonable call. Other contenders: Mecir, mid-career Agassi (ugh),
> Djokovic; who else?

Djoker, Safin, Fat Dave. Sir Andy Murray has a fantastic two-hander too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgfOgCxZ9QM

soccerfan777

Aug 1, 2016, 1:53:34 PM8/1/16
What do you guys think of this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/tennis/comments/4drcbx/best_twohanded_backhands_ever/

I have never found double handed backhand aesthetically pleasing to watch.
Single handed backhand trumps double handed back hand any day.

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 1, 2016, 5:59:07 PM8/1/16
How did the behind-the-back co-BOAT beat the behind-the-back co-BOAT? By
putting the ball behind the back!

--
A Dramatic Entrance:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjDDbcAW0AEbc7I.jpg:large

Carey

Aug 2, 2016, 10:32:25 AM8/2/16
All good picks.. how could I forget Marat?

I'd add Joakim Nystrom and Wayne Ferreira.
Nystrom's was a pretty shot too; can't say
that about too many 2-handers.

The Iceberg

Aug 2, 2016, 12:33:16 PM8/2/16
yes, what about Donald Young? his 2hbh is way > than Connors, eh!

Whisper

Aug 3, 2016, 6:20:33 AM8/3/16
Yes, I was going to throw in 'peak' Nystrom too. Wayne's was
aesthetically pleasing too.

The Iceberg

Aug 3, 2016, 7:08:14 AM8/3/16
Fat Dave was the best.