Winning spans

*skriptis

Jun 11, 2017, 12:30:03 PM6/11/17
15 Federer
13 Sampras, Nadal
9 Djokovic
8 Borg

If he's truly worthy of being their level he has to regroup and be
competitive for a couple of more years.

soccerfan777

Jun 11, 2017, 6:26:38 PM6/11/17
McEnroe 6

Might have been a shit player then

Henin only 5

*skriptis

Jun 11, 2017, 7:30:02 PM6/11/17
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> McEnroe 6
>
> Might have been a shit player then
>
> Henin only 5

It's about motivation, not quality. And we know McEnroe had issues
with that.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Gracchus

Jun 11, 2017, 7:37:29 PM6/11/17
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 4:30:02 PM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:
> soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> > McEnroe 6
> >
> > Might have been a shit player then
> >
> > Henin only 5
> >

> It's about motivation, not quality. And we know McEnroe had issues
> with that.

Just like Rios. Reached #1 and decided he didn't care. He would easily have won 20+ slams with a little more motivation. So from a certain perspective, he's the best to ever play the game.

*skriptis

Jun 11, 2017, 8:01:03 PM6/11/17
Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
I have no problem with him being coulda woulda goat.
;)

bob

Jun 11, 2017, 8:10:54 PM6/11/17
rios had really beautiful groundstrokes.

bob

soccerfan777

Jun 11, 2017, 9:10:26 PM6/11/17
LOL, funny. Too bad *dipshit will miss the sarcasm.

soccerfan777

Jun 11, 2017, 9:10:56 PM6/11/17
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 6:30:02 PM UTC-5, *skriptis wrote:
> soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> > McEnroe 6
> >
> > Might have been a shit player then
> >
> > Henin only 5
> >

> It's about motivation, not quality. And we know McEnroe had issues
> with that.
> --
I heard Lendl and Borg were half arsed too when they were not winning slams.

Shakes

Jun 11, 2017, 9:15:12 PM6/11/17
There was a Rios-Agassi match at Miami that I really enjoyed at the time. Agassi/Gilbert had just trash-talked a little about Rios before the match, and Rios went on to win that match. It was beautiful to watch him frequently wrong-foot Agassi, even though it was clear that Agassi had the greater firepower.

Gracchus

Jun 11, 2017, 9:28:06 PM6/11/17
I remember that well. Rios TOYED with Agassi. Made him look totally foolish. But as I recall, Rios injured himself and had to retire.

Gracchus

Jun 11, 2017, 9:30:41 PM6/11/17
Just checked this and it looks like they played twice in Miami. Rios won the first one and retired in the other. The only other match they played Rios also won, so Agassi never learned how to deal with him.

bob

Jun 12, 2017, 8:05:10 PM6/12/17
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Shakes <kvcs...@gmail.com>
wrote:
i believe rios had just achieved the #1 ranking before that match, and
the miami crowd was 90% rios, which is normal in miami to cheer a
latinx. rios played beautifully, ran agassi all over the court.

bob

bob

Jun 12, 2017, 8:05:58 PM6/12/17
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:30:39 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 6:28:06 PM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:

>> > There was a Rios-Agassi match at Miami that I really enjoyed at the time. Agassi/Gilbert had just trash-talked a little about Rios before the match, and Rios went on to win that match. It was beautiful to watch him frequently wrong-foot Agassi, even though it was clear that Agassi had the greater firepower.
>>
>> I remember that well. Rios TOYED with Agassi. Made him look totally foolish. But as I recall, Rios injured himself and had to retire.
>
>Just checked this and it looks like they played twice in Miami. Rios won the first one and retired in the other. The only other match they played Rios also won, so Agassi never learned how to deal with him.

rios used agassi's power against him IMO.

bob

Shakes

Jun 12, 2017, 8:23:02 PM6/12/17
Yes about the crowd. Also Rios was a lot like Mecir in that, at his best, he was frequently in the right position without appearing to be scrambling, and he was able to effortlessly redirect the opponent's power against him. He was fun to watch for a while.

stephenJ

Jun 14, 2017, 8:42:13 AM6/14/17
IMO, Rios was to the 90s what Mecir was to the 80s. A guy who was hyped
for a year or so and never came close to actually winning anything to
justify it. Yet has has a Legend in certain minds that just won't die.

Has always baffled me. To me, both were guys with clever groundies but
no serve so obviously weren't going to win much.

---

soccerfan777

Jun 14, 2017, 9:01:28 AM6/14/17
I have also liked players with power, precision and grace - Graf being a prime example. Mecir, Rios, Ramesh Krishnan, Kaarsten Braasch etc fail the power test. Too many feathery poofters out there who don't win squat. You can feel amused by them, but can't really look up to them. If you want fairy tennis go back to the 1880s

Whisper

Jun 15, 2017, 6:50:25 AM6/15/17
On 14/06/2017 11:01 PM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> I have also liked players with power, precision and grace - Graf being a prime example. Mecir, Rios, Ramesh Krishnan, Kaarsten Braasch etc fail the power test. Too many feathery poofters out there who don't win squat. You can feel amused by them, but can't really look up to them. If you want fairy tennis go back to the 1880s

Krishan was a phenomenal talent - probably the most naturally fluid
player I've seen. He & McEnroe are 2 net guys nobody would ever find
boring to watch. From the baseline it's Mecir.

---
http://www.avg.com