How many times

RahimAsif

Feb 7, 2009, 4:53:02 PM2/7/09
does Fed end up losing the set against Nadal after being up a break
pretty late in the set?

Since last year:
MC - up a break (4-3) in both set. Ends up losing both 7-5
Hamburg - 1st set, lost 7-5 after being up a double break (5-1!!). 2nd
set, managed to eke out the tiebreak after squandering another double
break lead.
Wimbledon - 2nd set, up 4-2, end up losing the set 6-4
AO - 1st set, up 4-2, ends up losing the set 7-5.

Of all the changes that Fed could have done to turn this rivarly
around, perhaps the simplest would have been just taking care of his
serve late in the set....

greg...@hotmail.com

Feb 7, 2009, 5:02:41 PM2/7/09

Not just Nadal either.

v Simon in Toronto - final set up 3-1, lost 6-4
v Simon in TMC - final set break up 4-3, lost 6-4
v Murray in TMC - final set break up 4-3 (40-15), lost 7-5

RahimAsif

Feb 7, 2009, 5:11:13 PM2/7/09

It has hurt him most in slams against Nadal, but you are right, Fed
has had this problem against other players as well. I think he has a
tendency to mentally relax once he secures a break, and it bites him
back big time. Remember in Wim 2004 he was up 4-0 in the 2nd set and
managed to almost squander that lead - against Roddick on grass...

greg...@hotmail.com

Feb 7, 2009, 5:33:09 PM2/7/09

There's no reason for him to relax since he doesn't have a massive
serve which means that he holds nearly all the time. He could of
course serve bigger if he decided to do so and spent time practicing
developing it as a big consistent weapon ...

wkhedr

Feb 7, 2009, 5:46:42 PM2/7/09

You guys have raised a good point. The point is if Federer's level of
play decline becuase he get broken frequently, then his ability to
break opponents' serve should decline as well, which it didn't. So why
does he get broken when he leading? I have no clue.
The one thing I noticed is that he never goes for a big serve except
he is in trouble like down 0-30 or down a break point. I don't know
why he doesn't go for an ace on every point.

Lax

Feb 7, 2009, 6:28:41 PM2/7/09

Because unlike Nadal, Fed doesn't concentrate 100% through a match.
He doesn't like to and can not do that.

greg...@hotmail.com

Feb 7, 2009, 6:49:40 PM2/7/09

He's never done that - doesn't like to hurt his arm by going for big
serves all the time. Actually this sounds ridiculous when you put it
like that - maybe he should build up his arm a bit more with weights?

Anyway, I would contend that Federer should start to think about going
for more big serves. He is capable of doing it and it would ease the
pressure on the rest of his game which at the moment is not able to
compensate for the erratic serving performances.

Superdave

Feb 7, 2009, 7:13:02 PM2/7/09
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:46:42 -0800 (PST), wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

he wants to play the game until he is 40 so he has to preserve his
machine.

Fed will still be playing in 2020 !!!

Yippee !!!

PeteWasLucky

Feb 7, 2009, 7:19:28 PM2/7/09
> Yippee !!!- Hide quoted text -

Even I'm not convinced, but he may prove us all wrong when he is still
winning slams in his thirties.
No one really knows.

undecided

Feb 7, 2009, 9:09:36 PM2/7/09
> compensate for the erratic serving performances.- Hide quoted text -

He did do it. Wimby 07 Final. Would have lost it had it not been for
his big serving that day.

Aran...@selin.com

Feb 7, 2009, 11:07:31 PM2/7/09
On Feb 7, 7:13 pm, Superdave <the.big.rst.kah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> he wants to play the game until he is 40 so he has to preserve his
> machine.
>
> Fed will still be playing in 2020 !!!
>
> Yippee !!!

Lay off the crackpipe. weirdo.

Whisper

Feb 8, 2009, 2:04:40 AM2/8/09

Sampras taught him to relax when he achieved the break - didn't warn the
sucker he didn't have his serve.

Aran...@selin.com

Feb 8, 2009, 9:09:37 AM2/8/09
On Feb 7, 5:02 pm, gregor...@hotmail.com wrote:

Fed is getting old.

Javier Gonzalez

Feb 8, 2009, 7:57:58 PM2/8/09

vs Nalbandian in YEC 05 too, served for the match in the fifth only to be
broken and then lose in the TB - although he was injured so I cut him some
slack for that one.

*skriptis

Feb 8, 2009, 8:31:57 PM2/8/09

He also had 5-2 and two serves in the 4th set tiebreak in AO SF against
Safin.

So it's not like his level, focus is dropping now against Rafa, it's that
been ever since, as long the oponenet doesn't fold.

RahimAsif

Feb 8, 2009, 9:06:06 PM2/8/09
On Feb 8, 7:31 pm, "*skriptis" <skrip...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:
> He also had 5-2 and two serves in the 4th set tiebreak in AO SF against
> Safin.
>
> So it's not like his level, focus is dropping now against Rafa, it's that
> been ever since, as long the oponenet doesn't fold.

He can get away with it against most other players, but not against
Rafa on any surface. But the positive for him is that he is getting
into winning positions in sets and matches, thats the only silver
lining...

RahimAsif

Feb 8, 2009, 10:14:47 PM2/8/09
On Feb 7, 3:53 pm, RahimAsif <RahimA...@gmail.com> wrote:
> MC - up a break (4-3) in both set. Ends up losing both 7-5

make that up 4-0 in the 2nd set to lose it 7-5. Amazing...

PeteWasLucky

Jul 28, 2017, 8:29:03 AM7/28/17
> he wants to play the game until he is 40 so he has to preserve his
machine.

Fed will still be playing in 2020 !!!

Yippee !!!

Very true

RaspingDrive

Jul 28, 2017, 11:57:17 AM7/28/17
That was superdave, a true visionary. He predicted that Federer will get between 18 and 22 slams. Compare that to duds in RST who constantly boast they said this and that.

changj...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2017, 5:21:31 PM7/28/17
So true. Dave was also the one who had no tolerance of violating time rule (guess actually contacting ATP so now it is routine for commentators to count serving time, mock and make a fun of this kind violation), as compared with some hypocritical Fed fans who pretend that it's not a big deal.
The time when Dave announced the sad news of him, I stop posting here. Yes I did believe what he said even if if it was an online site. I do wish (though the hope is little) he was still well!

Bharath Purohit

Jul 29, 2017, 12:03:50 AM7/29/17
Dave died because of cancer right? 😢

Giovanna

Jul 29, 2017, 1:51:47 PM7/29/17
How do u guys know Dave died?

TT

Jul 29, 2017, 2:01:09 PM7/29/17
Giovanna kirjoitti 29.7.2017 klo 20:51:
> How do u guys know Dave died?

Apparently he said that he has cancer, and disappeared shortly after.
Something must have happened... or do you think he would be silent on
Trump & Fed's recent success? I say no way. :(

Even the 'Ghost of Hazelwood' hasn't posted since. :)

Carey

Jul 29, 2017, 2:08:20 PM7/29/17
Pancreatic cancer, IIRC. Dave was a good guy. I thought his Fed predictions
were over the top, at the time, but he proved us all wrong. RIP, Dave.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 29, 2017, 2:20:29 PM7/29/17
> Apparently he said that he has cancer, and disappeared shortly after.
Something must have happened... or do you think he would be silent on
Trump & Fed's recent success? I say no way. :(

Even the 'Ghost of Hazelwood' hasn't posted since. :)

We should ask Mirka :)

bob

Jul 29, 2017, 2:33:34 PM7/29/17
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 11:08:18 -0700 (PDT), Carey <carey...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
most likely fed will even surpass dave's predictions. and we all
called him crazy dave. crazy like a fox.

bob

MBDunc

Jul 29, 2017, 3:59:26 PM7/29/17
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 9:33:34 PM UTC+3, bob wrote:
> >Pancreatic cancer, IIRC. Dave was a good guy. I thought his Fed predictions
> >were over the top, at the time, but he proved us all wrong. RIP, Dave.
>
> most likely fed will even surpass dave's predictions. and we all
> called him crazy dave. crazy like a fox.
>
> bob

Before Dave there was Manco in r.s.t who predicted around 2003 that Fed will win 18 slams and same time announced that even 20 slams is not out of Fed's reach. Of course no one took him seriously ... anyway better predict than Roddick with 10 slams....

.mikko

RaspingDrive

Jul 29, 2017, 8:35:38 PM7/29/17
Not to forget Whisper's egregious prediction that Federer will get max one slam. Wondering what he saw in Roddick that he would be so cocky.

Giovanna

Jul 29, 2017, 10:58:18 PM7/29/17
:(

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 29, 2017, 11:46:27 PM7/29/17
Dave was Trumpian in his outrageous flourishes... but, he seemed to have a good heart... he just loved to life/post at the high end of the fandom-range... :)

Whisper

Jul 30, 2017, 2:45:22 AM7/30/17
I've explained all this many times - look up the archives.

---
http://www.avg.com

RaspingDrive

Jul 30, 2017, 8:48:42 PM7/30/17
Sifting through your drivel? No thanks. Still, one slam at the most for Federer is completely clueless prediction.

John Liang

Jul 30, 2017, 10:47:14 PM7/30/17
Is it necessary ? We knew you said he would lucky to be in another slam final I am sure not a lot of people thought Federer would go on win 19 slam in 2003 but predicting him to have just 1 slam titles and lucky to be in another slam final is just totally clueless.

RaspingDrive

Jul 31, 2017, 5:48:40 AM7/31/17
Dave's outer limit was 22. If you say he will surpass it, tennisguy will have issues with it.

RaspingDrive

Jul 31, 2017, 5:50:23 AM7/31/17
He predicted Tomic will have more than 1 slam, didn't he? He explained that also, I guess.

Whisper

Jul 31, 2017, 6:41:27 AM7/31/17
It is necessary because otherwise we eg have to accept your post that
Fed was nothing special & Roddick would have a better career.

joh

Jul 31, 2017, 9:09:54 AM7/31/17
Op maandag 31 juli 2017 11:50:23 UTC+2 schreef RaspingDrive:
Yeah, he was out of sorts at that time because some asian guy waved his dick at him.

John Liang

Jul 31, 2017, 10:31:28 AM7/31/17
OK, please provide the link where I said Fed is nothing special. I don't think you will find one.

John Liang

Jul 31, 2017, 10:34:44 AM7/31/17
It is not necessary in a sense because almost everyone here read your dumb ass prediction many years ago. You continued with the same type of dumb ass prediction with Roddick on steroid Tomic. Tell me Whimp how many slam is Tomic going to win from now ? It was 2 Wimbledon in five years from 2012 to this year, I am still waiting for him to thrash Nadal in straight set at USO.

RaspingDrive

Jul 31, 2017, 5:34:32 PM7/31/17
Ha ha. But do you mean he waved his weapon at Whisper's posterior, since Whisper reportedly was facing in the other direction?

joh

Jul 31, 2017, 6:35:34 PM7/31/17
Op maandag 31 juli 2017 23:34:32 UTC+2 schreef RaspingDrive:
What I know is whisper felt the need to share this encounter with rst.
I'm not too interested in speculating on details.

RaspingDrive

Jul 31, 2017, 9:06:28 PM7/31/17
Whisper was perhaps trying to bring some levity to the proceedings so we should cut him some slack for that. I was kidding, Whisper, no offense meant.

joh

Aug 1, 2017, 2:07:47 AM8/1/17
Op dinsdag 1 augustus 2017 03:06:28 UTC+2 schreef RaspingDrive:
I think he's an attention whore.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 6:06:25 AM8/1/17
Tomic went off the rails. He admitted he didn't try hard, was bored, &
maybe gave 50% on a good day.

You can't predict someone getting mental illness. That requires a
crystal ball.

--
"A GOAT who isn't BOAT can never become GOAT if he plays alongside BOAT"

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 6:30:03 AM8/1/17
Happened again the other day, this time with an anglo guy. And you
won't believe this - he dropped his soap & it slid under my feet & he
said 'oops' & picked it up! Cue all the cliche jokes etc

Am I the only one who finds this weird? Would any of you guys pick a
shower next to the only guy there even with 10 vacant ones to choose from?

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 6:30:58 AM8/1/17
I tell everyone not just rst. The wife said 'be careful'.

TT

Aug 1, 2017, 6:39:06 AM8/1/17
You have a lively imagination.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 6:43:56 AM8/1/17
Offense? You don't know me very well.

Obviously sharing something like this invites gay innuendo etc. I find
that funny.

: )

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 1, 2017, 6:51:21 AM8/1/17
I hope he's not doing that business in public showers. You never know.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 6:59:06 AM8/1/17
Exact opposite in real life, but for some reason I do get a lot of
attention & make friends quickly without trying. I have offers to play
tennis 7 days a week with different groups of people/clubs - my phone is
going off all the time. I make a lot of creative excuses to let people
down gently, but they keep ringing every week. I played at a new club
for the 1st time last week as a guest, & already got invited to play a
doubles tournament with the best player in the club, & everyone asking
for me when I didn't return the following week. One guy is an Indian
doctor & he asked me to play in doubles comp with him. I agreed, but
kinda regret it now. The wife would literally never see me if I took up
all the offers.

Whisper

Aug 1, 2017, 7:02:50 AM8/1/17
Humor me. Would you do it?

John Liang

Aug 1, 2017, 7:42:52 AM8/1/17
Tomic was never going to ended up as even half a decent great player, he is a journeymen with journeymen level talent. I just did not get any sense of his talent even equate to a Murray type talent. Murray was a far better athlete than Tomic ever hoped to be. He wasn't going to be a top player for at least 3 reasons.

1. Talent, there is just not enough talent to see him stand out from other journeymen

2. Athletic ability, he never had athletic strength, speed or stamina that other greats in the past and present had.

3. Mental weakness.

Add all three together you have a player that had a hard time even make a great journeymen career.

RaspingDrive

Aug 1, 2017, 7:54:30 AM8/1/17
Ha ha. Just pack your stuff and go home and shower. You will not have to confront such instances.

joh

Aug 1, 2017, 9:38:16 AM8/1/17
Op dinsdag 1 augustus 2017 12:30:58 UTC+2 schreef Whisper:
I'm not surprised.

bob

Aug 1, 2017, 7:56:10 PM8/1/17
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 23:07:45 -0700 (PDT), joh <josh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
that's what i think of nancy pelosi, but didn't want to use that word.

bob

Whisper

Aug 2, 2017, 6:34:10 AM8/2/17
I usually have a swim & shower at the gym after tennis. It's a full
Olympic size pool, & heated. That way I don't have to shower at home.

The gym is on the way to tennis so makes sense to pop in;

https://www.newcastle.edu.au/__data/assets/image/0005/37652/The-Forum.jpg

https://s0.whitepages.com.au/46cfb24b-7dc6-4bdf-8fad-90f4578b4426/the-forum-sports-aquatic-centre-promo.JPEG

http://www.theforum.org.au/home#

Whisper

Aug 2, 2017, 7:21:59 AM8/2/17

RaspingDrive

Aug 2, 2017, 9:23:44 AM8/2/17
The University of New Castle appears to be your principal retreat. Amidst work, tennis, gym, swimming, shower, enormous amounts of time posting in RST etc, where is the time to be with 'the wife'?

RaspingDrive

Aug 2, 2017, 9:24:25 AM8/2/17
Do Croatian immigrants play cricket?

AZ

Aug 2, 2017, 12:04:20 PM8/2/17
I speculated earlier that he is probably in a low-security prison with Internet connection. Everything is made up. ;)

Whisper

Aug 3, 2017, 9:26:48 AM8/3/17
I played indoor cricket yrs ago.

RaspingDrive

Aug 3, 2017, 10:06:24 AM8/3/17
Thank God for that :) Otherwise we will have to suffer accounts on RSC of how you square drove Warney and straight drove McGrath.

Any Croatian cricketer played for Australia?

Whisper

Aug 3, 2017, 10:33:05 AM8/3/17
Simon Katich

PeteWasLucky

Aug 3, 2017, 11:50:45 AM8/3/17
> I usually have a swim & shower at the gym after tennis. It's a full
Olympic size pool, & heated. That way I don't have to shower at home.

I will be honest, I wouldn't take a shower if there is no privacy. I am sure home isn't far to shower there.

RaspingDrive

Aug 3, 2017, 12:24:48 PM8/3/17
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 10:33:05 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
> On 4/08/2017 12:06 AM, RaspingDrive wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 9:26:48 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
>

> >> I played indoor cricket yrs ago.
> >
> > Thank God for that :) Otherwise we will have to suffer accounts on RSC of how you square drove Warney and straight drove McGrath.
> >
> > Any Croatian cricketer played for Australia?
> >

> Simon Katich

Not seen him play but followed scores on espncricinfo. Decent player (40 plus batting average presumably) with perhaps a Border-like dourness to batting but not the same talent level. From memory, born on Aug 12th. Was in and out of the team, IIRC.

Whisper

Aug 3, 2017, 12:24:58 PM8/3/17
If I don't play tennis on a particular day I go to the gym & then have a
swim in the pool. If I play tennis I stop at the gym on the way home &
swim in the pool to cool off.

Are you suggesting I go home to shower after swimming in the pool?