Never seen Federer in complete loss like today

wkhedr

Aug 19, 2011, 8:10:06 PM8/19/11
He looked like a 4.5 player trying to challenge a pro.

It's not about the game, he was not mentally in the match, not sure
what's up with him.

TT

Aug 19, 2011, 8:14:23 PM8/19/11

BERDYCH is in his head. :))))))))))

RzR

Aug 19, 2011, 8:23:34 PM8/19/11

"TT" <as...@usenet.org> wrote in message

now if we could only get berdych into berdychs head...

wkhedr

Aug 19, 2011, 8:22:08 PM8/19/11

I don't believe so. He played awful too against Blake.

I think I will find out soon in the USOpen.

Vlado

Aug 19, 2011, 8:47:09 PM8/19/11

it's too hot and humid in Ohio

TT

Aug 19, 2011, 9:00:26 PM8/19/11

Or maybe it was h2h preservation...didn't want to get beaten by Nole?

RzR

Aug 19, 2011, 9:11:53 PM8/19/11

"TT" <as...@usenet.org> wrote in message

lol

FNG

Aug 19, 2011, 10:58:33 PM8/19/11

no no we are talking about Roger, not Rafa.

felangey

Aug 19, 2011, 11:41:55 PM8/19/11
> It's not about the game, he was not mentally in the match, not sure
> what's up with him.<

See what happens come the Open. Certainly Berdych played very well today.
Noteably Federer played much better during the spell the sun went in....but
overall, couldn't cope with the smackage Berdych was able to get on the
ball. Some crazy hitting.

Court_1

Aug 20, 2011, 2:40:46 PM8/20/11

No excuses. Federer was simply awful. Federer should be blowing that
clown Berdych off the court just like prime Federer would have done or
even after prime Federer since Federer leads their h2h. Federer won't
make the QF of the USO if he plays the way he has in the last two
tournaments. Sorry felangey,I know you don't like the negativity,
but, there is no point being stupid about it. Fed's game has really
declined and it is getting worse. He just can't be consistent. Facts
are facts.

felangey

Aug 20, 2011, 2:46:09 PM8/20/11
>He just can't be consistent. Facts are facts<

Didn't he make the final of the French? Must've dreamed that one.

Chillax dude/dudette....roll with the punches and hope he and Paul can come
up with the goods at the Open. That's all ya can do. The hard yards are
banked for Fed...this is deep in bonus time.

Court_1

Aug 20, 2011, 2:51:39 PM8/20/11

True. Whatever happens at this point is gravy. I honestly think he is
hanging around for the Olympics to try for that gold medal and then he
will fade off into the sunset if no slam by then. Whatever, it is all
good. He has had a brilliant career. Can't ask for better. When he is
playing well like at the FO this year there is nothing better to
watch. Most of these other jokers in the ATP are boring as hell to
watch.

bob

Aug 20, 2011, 5:29:37 PM8/20/11

yet 2 months ago he beat djok in one of the best matches of his life.
he is capable of playing well when he cares.

bob

Court_1

Aug 20, 2011, 11:39:49 PM8/20/11
> bob-

I don't think it is that simple really. I think he cares but he does
not CARE, you know what I mean. Different priorities now with twins.
How can you really be so motivated when you have won everything and
more?

The fact is I am sure he cares but his concentration is not what it
was and he has declined physically as well. Footwork is not as
stellar. He just can't keep the consistency any longer and I don't
think it is just a matter of him caring or not. He is just not the
same any longer at 30 and has not been for a few years but it gets
worse and worse as he ages. Pro athletes really have a very short time
to make a grand statement. Then all of a sudden one day they are like
yesterday's laundry.

bob

Aug 21, 2011, 6:49:01 AM8/21/11

he claims he is still ultra motivated. and in slams, i still believe
he is. he wants to attain a couple more goals pretty badly. another
wimbledon. an olympic gold.

>The fact is I am sure he cares but his concentration is not what it
>was and he has declined physically as well.

non slams, yes, way off his peak.

> Footwork is not as
>stellar. He just can't keep the consistency any longer and I don't
>think it is just a matter of him caring or not. He is just not the
>same any longer at 30 and has not been for a few years but it gets
>worse and worse as he ages. Pro athletes really have a very short time
>to make a grand statement. Then all of a sudden one day they are like
>yesterday's laundry.

bob

only human

Aug 21, 2011, 10:53:43 AM8/21/11

And what will be your conclusion if Federer wins the up coming US open
court_1? he will no doubt have to beat
players he's been losing to lately. Federer's performance in the FO this
year convinced me his major run is far from over.

Court_1

Aug 21, 2011, 3:03:04 PM8/21/11

My conclusion will be that it is great. I am not saying he can't do
it, it is just unlikely. If he is able to win the USO it does not mean
he will go on to win 5 slams in a row like he did in his prime. He is
30 now. The rules have changed. Hopefully he can win one more slam and
win that gold medal he wants before he packs it in.

Court_1

Aug 21, 2011, 3:07:36 PM8/21/11

Claiming he is ultra motivated does not mean he really is. You think
he will go into a press conference and say he is done? He has
endorsement contracts to fulfill.
He can say whatever he wants in the media. Only idiots believe
everything that is fed to them in the media. The fact is he is not as
motivated as he once was. Impossible to be as motivated at this point.

He ups his motivation in slams no doubt but he is still not as focused
and he has declined physically a lot. Doesn't mean he can't win
another slam but it won't be easy that is for sure. I hope he can do
it but I would not bet my house on it.

bob

Aug 21, 2011, 6:03:53 PM8/21/11

i agree, not to believe what is said. i'm going on the fact that he is
not the wimbledon champ, has no olympic singles gold, not the clear
USO champ, has only 1 FO - he does still have things to prove. if i
were him, nursing his ego, i'd be motivated for another yr. after
that, dead in teh water.

>He ups his motivation in slams no doubt but he is still not as focused
>and he has declined physically a lot. Doesn't mean he can't win
>another slam but it won't be easy that is for sure. I hope he can do
>it but I would not bet my house on it.

bob

only human

Aug 23, 2011, 12:06:20 PM8/23/11

Court_1 i wouldn't bet my house on it ether. but i believe in staying
positive no matter how dire his chances might be. i personally don't
think their dire yet. but if he continues to go out in majors i'll
probably change my tune.

Court_1

Aug 23, 2011, 3:08:22 PM8/23/11

Let's hope he has one more slam in him. Go Rog!

felangey

Aug 23, 2011, 8:28:27 PM8/23/11
>Let's hope he has one more slam in him. Go Rog!<

Hell...no, I am hoping for more than one. :)

drew

Aug 23, 2011, 11:01:38 PM8/23/11
On Aug 21, 3:07 pm, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> He ups his motivation in slams no doubt but he is still not as focused
> and he has declined physically a lot. Doesn't mean he can't win
> another slam but it won't be easy that is for sure. I hope he can do
> it but I would not bet my house on it.

I'm a guy who bets on the majors and of course I would not bet my
house on Federer winning
another major......but I sure as hell wouldn't bet my house against it
either. The fact remains
that at 30 Federer is still one of the favourites to win the USO.

The thing that Federer has in his favour (less and less, admittedly)
is his record against lower
ranked players in majors.

All that it takes is for a couple of the front runners to have a bad
day and suddenly Federer is
the favourite to win the USO. Sampras showed how that worked when he
won his last USO. He
had a not ready for prime time Roddick and his bitch Agassi as his
main hurdles. In retrospect
Sampras had a pretty easy time of it but leading up to the USO that
year he certainly didn't look
like championship material and to be honest, Sampras was in a lot
worse form going into that
USO than Federer is going into this one.

I'm not disputing any of your points about Federer's game. He's
clearly not the same player he
was, and at 30 I'd say he's quite a long way from his best. He's
still great but when you set
the bar as high as Federer did when he was playing his best, the fall
from near perfection is
most noticeable.

drew

Aug 23, 2011, 11:04:38 PM8/23/11
On Aug 23, 8:28 pm, "felangey" <th...@thisplace.invalid> wrote:
> >Let's hope he has one more slam in him. Go Rog!<
>
> Hell...no, I am hoping for more than one. :)

He'll need help from the draw and he'll need to play a couple of
really good matches
when it matters most.

I think there's a reasonable chance that this will happen once. I'd
be willing to
bet the house that it won't happen twice.

TT

Aug 23, 2011, 11:41:44 PM8/23/11

If he wins one slam more...so what?

It's still less majors than Laver or Rosewall. Or does it prove that he
has longevity? aka have fedfans realized that it's quite embarrassing
being a late bloomer while also fading out well before 30...

drew

Aug 23, 2011, 11:54:49 PM8/23/11
On Aug 23, 11:41 pm, TT <as...@usenet.org> wrote:

> It's still less majors than Laver or Rosewall.

Doubles anyone?

Or does it prove that he
> has longevity? aka have fedfans realized that it's quite embarrassing
> being a late bloomer while also fading out well before 30...

However you slice it up, it's pretty hard to have more than 7 great
years. If you
can pack 16 majors into those years, I'd say it isn't too embarassing.

Likewise with Nadal. He's had 7 great years. If he's going strong in
a couple
of years we'll talk about this again but I suspect that you'll find
Nadal and Federer
in pretty similar territory in two years time.

By that I mean neither of them will be winning majors anymore and
there won't
be any more on the horizon.

felangey

Aug 24, 2011, 10:43:54 AM8/24/11
>He'll need help from the draw and he'll need to play a couple of really
>good matches when it matters most<

Just have to see what happens. I think he fancies his chances for the Open
this year....we shall see though.

>I think there's a reasonable chance that this will happen once. I'd be
>willing to bet the house that it won't happen twice.<

Well, if he manages to somehow take the Open, then we can start talking
about how nice your house is, k? ;)

drew

Aug 24, 2011, 1:36:50 PM8/24/11

The second half of that bet might be a little nerve-wracking but I'm
thinking it probably won't
go that far. And I've not looked recently but I haven't seen any odds
offered on Feds never winning another
major....if I do see it I think I'll put a significant wager on it
depending on the price of course....not the house but maybe
the car....sorry, I don't think Roger is going to win another. If I
put down a significant wager before the USO and he loses,
I'm pretty much guaranteed a payday...I could always green out.

Court_1

Aug 24, 2011, 5:13:01 PM8/24/11
On Aug 23, 11:41 pm, TT <as...@usenet.org> wrote:

The only thing embarrassing is your statement. There is nothing about
Federer's career that is embarrassing in any way, shape or form.
Perhaps you use the term embarrassing about Federer because you
subconsciously think that Nadal at 25, being throttled by Djokovic and
defeated by a nobdoy like Dodig is really the thing that is
embarrassing. Just throwing it out there.

Federer does not have to win another slam as he will be considered one
of the greatest even if he does not win another one, but, winning one
more would be a nice way for him to end his career and make it even
more difficult for any other player to catch his slam number.

Court_1

Aug 24, 2011, 5:14:31 PM8/24/11

Nadal and Federer will both be done and dusted in two years time--
i.e.both reitred most likely.

felangey

Aug 24, 2011, 8:41:12 PM8/24/11
>If I put down a significant wager before the USO and he loses,
I'm pretty much guaranteed a payday...I could always green out.<

Either that or you could be walking to work for a while. ;)