Hey Court1 - look at this SEXISM - Wimbledon Heat Rule

The Iceberg

Jul 2, 2015, 4:48:54 AM7/2/15
WTF!!! How come womyn are allowed a *10 MINUTE* break due to the heat but men aren't? this is disgusting and very very sexist. Yet another reason they should ditch the equal prize money travesty.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-02/tomic-questions-wimbledon-heat-rule/6588918
Wimbledon: Bernard Tomic questions heat rule which permits breaks for women but not men

Bernard Tomic forehands at Wimbledon

Bernard Tomic has questioned Wimbledon's heat rule which allows women players some respite but not men after on-court temperatures edged over 41 degrees Celsius.

The Australian 27th seed beat Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert 7-6 (7/3), 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) to reach the third round but needed treatment after toiling under the blazing sun.

"I was very dizzy out there. I didn't sleep well yesterday and the day before. I was fatigued and starting to get dizzy out there with the heat hitting me," he told reporters.

I think ours is slightly different. I think we are allowed to play in more heat. Is it fair or not? Who am I to say? I don't know. It's a tough one.
Bernard Tomic
"It was tough, so I had to slow things down. I had to catch my breath. It was not that easy, that situation for me in the second. I was feeling bad."

Tomic, who faces defending champion Novak Djokovic next, was asked whether Wimbledon's complicated heat rule which, in certain extreme circumstances can allow women a break should a match go to a third set, should also be applied to men's matches.

"I was actually talking about that in the locker room. It's a bit interesting how the women have a different rule applied to them with the heat," he said.

"I think ours is slightly different. I think we are allowed to play in more heat. Is it fair or not? Who am I to say? I don't know. It's a tough one."

The heat rule was introduced in 1992 and is in use at all WTA events throughout the year. It has only been used twice at Wimbledon, in 2006 and 2009.

It allows a 10-minute break to be taken between the second and third set when the heat stress index is at or above 30.1 degrees Celsius.

The heat stress index factors together air temperature, humidity and surface temperature.

While some players struggled, the majority seemed untroubled.

American John Isner, who also reached the third round, said: "I'm glad I played on this day, I like playing in the heat.

"It wasn't too humid out there.

"I do train in Florida, and it's way worse in Florida than it was here today."

Reuters

Brian Lawrence

Jul 2, 2015, 5:58:59 AM7/2/15
It's not a Wimbledon rule it's a WTA rule and the ATP don't have a
similar rule.

The Iceberg

Jul 2, 2015, 6:22:05 AM7/2/15
On Thursday, 2 July 2015 10:58:59 UTC+1, Brian Lawrence wrote:
> It's not a Wimbledon rule it's a WTA rule and the ATP don't have a
> similar rule.

it's a WTA rule to allow coaches on-court during matches too, how come they can exclude that for Wimbledon?

Brian Lawrence

Jul 2, 2015, 9:13:19 AM7/2/15
Well I'd imagine that some rules are mandatory at all tournaments
and some can be overridden by a tournament organiser (or some
organisers).

Court_1

Jul 2, 2015, 11:19:30 PM7/2/15
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 4:48:54 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:

> WTF!!! How come womyn are allowed a *10 MINUTE* break due to the heat but men aren't? this is disgusting and very very sexist.

I agree, it is stupid. They should allow coaching on the men's side like they do on the women's side at non-slam events as well. We all know coaching from the stands goes on with all players. Boris Becker recently admitted he coaches Djokovic from the stands.