Nadal Seeks To Put Brakes On Streamrolling Djokovic in U.S. Open Final

TT

Aug 27, 2011, 11:31:46 AM8/27/11
Nadal Seeks To Put Brakes On Streamrolling Djokovic in U.S. Open Final
David Lariviere, Contributor

Although Rafael Nadal of Spain arrives at the U.S. Open as the defending
champion, he knows he won’t be the favorite for this year’s men’s
singles title. That distinction belongs to top-ranked Novak Djokovic,
who has lost just two matches all year, the most recent coming earlier
this month in Cincinnati when he retired during a match with Scotland’s
Andy Murray because of a shoulder injury.

Since losing his No. 1 ranking and the Wimbledon final to Djokovic,
Nadal, now second, has been resting and preparing himself mentally and
physically to avenge five straight defeats to the big-hitting Serb. His
uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, acknowledged it won’t be easy. “It’s a big
challenge. It’s a big problem,” Nadal said.

“Anytime someone beats you five times in a row, it affects you more and
more each time. Something has to change and he hopes it will change this
week,” Nadal added, who says his pride and joy is “back to normal” and
“he’s playing really good.”

Nadal took a full four weeks off after Wimbledon and then battled
through a tendon injury in his foot and his fingers being burned when he
tried to move a scalding plate while in Cincinnati.

No drastic changes in approach are planned if Nadal and Djokovic meet in
the final, but the 25-year-old has been reviewing old matches between
the pair on tape, working on technique and points to improve and
focusing on playing better in the key moments. “He’s working on some new
tactics and thought processes,” explained Nadal. “He’s prepared and
confident to have a top performance in the next week or so. But
Djokovic’s the best player in the world right now. He’s been incredible.”

Outside of the dominant top three of Djokovic, Nadal and Roger Federer,
Murray and American Mardy Fish, now all the way up to seventh, are
others to watch.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/08/26/nadal-seeks-to-put-brakes-on-streamrolling-djokovic-in-u-s-open-final/?feed=rss_home&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=hellotxt

Osama Bin Ladetorest

Aug 27, 2011, 11:33:34 AM8/27/11
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/08/26/nadal-seeks-to-put...

I have a feeling Nadal will lose early in this USO. I could be wrong.
But I have a strong feeling. I think Djoker will meet neither Fed nor
Nadal in this final. Some chump change is gonna make it.

uly...@mscomm.com

Aug 28, 2011, 12:09:45 AM8/28/11
I strongly agree. Djoker will meet an underdog in the final and I
don't even mean Murray. Maybe some Bozo like Fish or someone of that
ilk. Then summarily demolish them. Nadal won't get near the final, nor
will Federer.