Murraysmo

Darkfalz

Jan 31, 2016, 5:47:44 AM1/31/16
Not her fault that Murray can't beat Djoker but I think it's time to end the charade and get rid of her. Murray has 2 years before his tank will be empty and if he wants any hope of another major he'll need a new strategy.

PeteWasLucky

Jan 31, 2016, 6:07:20 AM1/31/16
He needs new brain

Court_1

Jan 31, 2016, 6:25:24 AM1/31/16
On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 6:07:20 AM UTC-5, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> He needs new brain

It has nothing to do with that. Djokovic is much better. Murray peaked in 2012/13. He's never been the same after his back surgery.

The Iceberg

Jan 31, 2016, 8:51:11 AM1/31/16
it's all to do with Mauresmo!

soccerfan777

Jan 31, 2016, 9:56:52 AM1/31/16
mauresmo may not be bad. He is still making slam finals. But Mauresmo is no Lendl

Shakes

Jan 31, 2016, 1:51:06 PM1/31/16
It's been more than 2 years since the surgery. I don't think that's the problem. It's his mind. He just doesn't have the will.

BTW, You never seem to bring this up when it comes to Sampras ? He had a very similar problem - herniated disc in his back - and had to undergo a surgery too, and take two months off the game in 1999. He was a couple of years older than Murray (when Murray had his surgery).

Gracchus

Jan 31, 2016, 3:06:42 PM1/31/16
To say that he doesn't have the will is a kind way of putting it. The truth is, Murray's shortcomings lie neither in his back or between his ears, but below the belt. And you're right, Court 1 cuts him more slack than other players. Maybe this has something to do with his "sensitivity to women's issues."

Shakes

Jan 31, 2016, 3:26:32 PM1/31/16
On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 12:06:42 PM UTC-8, Gracchus wrote:
> On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 10:51:06 AM UTC-8, Shakes wrote:

> > It's been more than 2 years since the surgery. I don't think that's the problem. It's his mind. He just doesn't have the will.
>
> > BTW, You never seem to bring this up when it comes to Sampras ? He had a very similar problem - herniated disc in his back - and had to undergo a surgery too, and take two months off the game in 1999. He was a couple of years older than Murray (when Murray had his surgery).
>
> To say that he doesn't have the will is a kind way of putting it. The truth is, Murray's shortcomings lie neither in his back or between his ears, but below the belt.

LOL. Maybe he should get his T levels checked ? :)

> And you're right, Court 1 cuts him more slack than other players. Maybe this has something to do with his "sensitivity to women's issues."

Del Potro and his wrist surgery also, for example ?

Darkfalz

Jan 31, 2016, 3:56:40 PM1/31/16
He doesn't seem troubled by the back, but he does seem distracted by everything else going on. But who knows really - could be some of that grimacing is pain related. Did Murray used to always make a straining sound when having to run for balls? I find it particularly irritating.

TennisGuy

Jan 31, 2016, 5:54:13 PM1/31/16
Exactly.

It's funny, but the same guys keep recycling this idea
that if their hero could just try this or that, or fine-tune this or
that or (you get it...) they will be able to beat player X (in this case
Djoker).

It never even enters their mind that their hero is an inferior player,
period, and nothing they try will ever change that.

There is a reason that Djoker (who is exactly one week younger than
Murray) has eleven slams and Murray just two.

It has to do with talent, something you can't train for or buy at the
candy store.

--
7543 - the greatest GOAT formula of all time

Pelle Svanslös

Jan 31, 2016, 6:34:52 PM1/31/16
Djok hasn't always hit every ball on the line. He's had his problems
with the serve, his net game used to be close to horrible, ...

Whatever talent is, he surely must be talented. To me, he strikes more
as the result of polishing, polishing, polishing. Continually improving.

And I hope he's not done. He does practice S&V in his matches against
Ruben occasionally ...

--
“Hiss first. Listen later."

Court_1

Jan 31, 2016, 7:18:12 PM1/31/16
You're wrong. He has the will big time but he isn't the same player he was before his back surgery for whatever reasons. He peaked in 2012/13. Different players peak at different times. More importantly, he isn't as good as Djokovic. Djokovic has distanced himself from Murray and is a couple of levels above Murray and no coach can change that. Djokovic has the ideal tennis body type and his freakish flexibility is something that helps him be the player he is with is ability to hit shots from any part of the court with insane depth and his ability to change direction on a dime. You can't teach that.

Murray can't beat Djokovic on the AO surface and none of the other Big Four members can. This should be obvious to all by now unless you're a masochist. Djokovic is too good on that surface. It will take a younger player probably with some power to come along and knock Djokovic off there. Wawrinka could do it but he's too inconsistent to rely on and he's getting up there in age. He's probably done with his slam winning.

As for your Sampras vs Murray comparison, Murray is no Sampras. They have completely different styles/strengths.

Court_1

Jan 31, 2016, 7:28:12 PM1/31/16
On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 5:54:13 PM UTC-5, TennisGuy wrote:

> It has to do with talent, something you can't train for or buy at the
> candy store.

+1.

Especially on the AO surface, Murray can't beat Djokovic. Djokovic is too good there. Murray was trying to hit hard and blow Djokovic off the court but he could barely get the ball past Djokovic. You need a monster player with a monster serve and monster groundstrokes to knock Djokovic off there. You can't outgrind him these days. He's developed his game to perfection for medium slow surfaces.

On other surfaces such as grass, clay or faster hc, Murray has a better chance to beat Djokovic. The problem with Djokovic right now is he's improved his serve. So he has the best ROS, the best defense and now has one of the best serves. Not easy for the other Big Four members to beat at the moment as the other Big Four members have more weaknesses. When Murray was beating Djokovic at the USO and Wimbledon, Murray was a little bit more aggressive, but more importantly, Djokovic has improved all areas of his game since then.

TennisGuy

Jan 31, 2016, 7:35:43 PM1/31/16
On 1/31/2016 6:34 PM, Pelle Svanslös wrote:

> Djok hasn't always hit every ball on the line. He's had his problems
> with the serve, his net game used to be close to horrible, ...
>
> Whatever talent is, he surely must be talented. To me, he strikes more
> as the result of polishing, polishing, polishing. Continually improving.
>
> And I hope he's not done. He does practice S&V in his matches against
> Ruben occasionally ...

Yes, of course you are right. Djoker's game has improved over the years.

Djoker I was only good enough to win one slam.

Then Djoker II arrived a few years later. This was the Djoker who was
almost unbeatable in 2011.

Then Djoker III arrived. He was in a slump, only one slam a year <g>.

Now we have Djoker IV. New and improved once again.

In many ways even better than Djoker II. Better movement, better
serving, tougher mentally, other things as well.

So yes players can improve, but the raw talent that Djoker has always
had will always trump Murray's (even if Murray gets Lendl back) <g>.