OT: Adam West dead at 88.

Gracchus

Jun 10, 2017, 12:14:16 PM6/10/17

TT

Jun 10, 2017, 12:21:31 PM6/10/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 10.6.2017 klo 19:14:
> Damn...the true Batman dead. That sucks.
>
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/adam-west-dead-batman-star-832264

Holy Batman!

Whisper

Jun 10, 2017, 12:29:56 PM6/10/17
On 11/06/2017 2:14 AM, Gracchus wrote:
> Damn...the true Batman dead. That sucks.
>
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/adam-west-dead-batman-star-832264

It does. I just bought the '66 bluray set. I guess it had to happen
sooner or later. Stan Lee is probably next.

---
http://www.avg.com

Gracchus

Jun 10, 2017, 1:06:28 PM6/10/17
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 9:29:56 AM UTC-7, Whisper wrote:
> On 11/06/2017 2:14 AM, Gracchus wrote:

> > Damn...the true Batman dead. That sucks.

> > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/adam-west-dead-batman-star-832264

> It does. I just bought the '66 bluray set. I guess it had to happen
> sooner or later. Stan Lee is probably next.

Yeah, Stan Lee's death will be hard to take. So will some others from that generation like Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Kirk Douglas. Even Shatner. He's a prick but still an icon.

Whisper

Jun 10, 2017, 1:25:33 PM6/10/17
Yep. Don't make them like that anymore.

Jerry Lewis (91) had a health scare recently - big fave of my mum's
generation, ahead of his time/larger than life character - Jim Carey is
the poor man's Jerry Lewis. Clint Eastwood is also getting up there in
age (87).

John Cleese is one of my personal faves & he's getting up there -
'Fawlty Towers' is ever fresh.

Rod Laver is probably the biggest tennis icon who is 'due' to shuffle off.

The byproduct of living longer - seeing all your idols/icons die off.

: (

*skriptis

Jun 10, 2017, 1:30:03 PM6/10/17
Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Why I'm not surprised you taking Takei's side?

TT

Jun 10, 2017, 1:37:32 PM6/10/17
Olivia de Havilland will be 101 1st of July...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/emmys-olivia-de-havilland-bette-davis-joan-crawford-feud-994699

Oh and... RIP Adam West. His Batman was damn hilarious.

Gracchus

Jun 10, 2017, 1:41:17 PM6/10/17
Most of Shatner's co-stars share Takei's opinion on this, but it's nothing to do with "sides" anyway. I like all of the Trek TOS group including Shatner. Being a prick isn't necessarily a sin. I'm a huge Jimmy Connors fan, and he's one of the biggest pricks ever to step on a tennis court.

The Doctor

Jun 10, 2017, 1:49:07 PM6/10/17
In article <4_ydnZ8jDp7gg6HE...@westnet.com.au>,
I feel sad and batty.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides

Gracchus

Jun 10, 2017, 1:49:23 PM6/10/17
Yes, West was just the right actor for it and he played it perfectly. He was a really funny guy in interviews too.

Three weeks is long going when one has passed 100, so I hope Olivia gets there safely and Kirk Douglas too in December. I think if someone really wants to ensure a long life, start writing children's books. A lot of those authors make it well into their 90s or past 100.

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 10, 2017, 1:52:32 PM6/10/17
ZOOOM! BUFFF! THWACK!!!

West did well... 88 and he's been acting fairly regularly even as an old dude... good on him... Still, sad to hear...

*skriptis

Jun 10, 2017, 2:01:02 PM6/10/17
Shatner seems to have s lot of Trump's character. You could never
be hostile to such people as they're so humorous and their humor
is self deprecating too. Most of his colleagues were simply
jealous of him taking big roles, money, spotlight, etc and it's
easier to justify your envy by saying he's such a prick.

Essentially, I don't see him as a bad guy, and even if he's a
prick, I don't think it's very negative. I'm ok with Connors too.
Don't like McEnroe types though, obnoxious.

Shatner isn't a superbly talented actor and is no surprise he won
most awards by virtually playing himself, that guy Denny
Crane.

And that guy, in the episode he was asked to run for presidency,
is a prototype for Trump's run. Very fun, remember
that?

Gracchus

Jun 10, 2017, 2:18:46 PM6/10/17
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:01:02 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:
> Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> > On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 10:30:03 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:

> >> Why I'm not surprised you taking Takei's side?

> > Most of Shatner's co-stars share Takei's opinion on this, but it's nothing to do with "sides" anyway. I like all of the Trek TOS group including Shatner. Being a prick isn't necessarily a sin. I'm a huge Jimmy Connors fan, and he's one of the biggest pricks ever to step on a tennis court.

> Shatner seems to have s lot of Trump's character. You could never
> be hostile to such people as they're so humorous and their humor
> is self deprecating too. Most of his colleagues were simply
> jealous of him taking big roles, money, spotlight, etc and it's
> easier to justify your envy by saying he's such a prick.

It's easy to brush it off as nothing but jealousy. Usually the person accused himself/herself does that. When you hear the pattern of things he actually did, though, there's more to it. Having Captain Kirk as the central character in the show wasn't enough for him. He really wanted it to be *about* Captain Kirk. Gene Roddenberry had to battle with him over that. If there were good lines written for other characters, Shatner would want them changed so Captain Kirk speaks them, etc. And then there's the issue of how he treated his co-stars...he regarded them more as props for William Shatner than actors with supporting roles. These kinds of things understandably build up resentment over a period of years.

> Essentially, I don't see him as a bad guy, and even if he's a
> prick, I don't think it's very negative. I'm ok with Connors too.
> Don't like McEnroe types though, obnoxious.

I agree with you that Shatner's not a bad guy. IMO a lot of the prickish behavior I described above has to do with an ego that needs to constantly re-inflate itself. Some people are just like that. The bottom line is that I've never seen him act or speak maliciously even when under fire from the former co-stars, so I can't dislike him.

> Shatner isn't a superbly talented actor and is no surprise he won
> most awards by virtually playing himself, that guy Denny
> Crane.

> And that guy, in the episode he was asked to run for presidency,
> is a prototype for Trump's run. Very fun, remember
> that?

I didn't watch the show, but I can imagine he'd play that well.

bob

Jun 10, 2017, 2:31:41 PM6/10/17
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:14:15 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Damn...the true Batman dead. That sucks.

yeah, that's the batman i know. great dry wit IMO.

>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/adam-west-dead-batman-star-832264

bob

bob

Jun 10, 2017, 2:34:07 PM6/10/17
shatner did a 1 man broadway gig a few yrs ago to very good reviews. i
was going to see it 1 day and didn't for no good reason, a regret.

>And that guy, in the episode he was asked to run for presidency,
> is a prototype for Trump's run. Very fun, remember
> that?

bob

bob

Jun 10, 2017, 2:40:12 PM6/10/17
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:01:02 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:
>> Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

>> > Most of Shatner's co-stars share Takei's opinion on this, but it's nothing to do with "sides" anyway. I like all of the Trek TOS group including Shatner. Being a prick isn't necessarily a sin. I'm a huge Jimmy Connors fan, and he's one of the biggest pricks ever to step on a tennis court.
>
>> Shatner seems to have s lot of Trump's character. You could never
>> be hostile to such people as they're so humorous and their humor
>> is self deprecating too. Most of his colleagues were simply
>> jealous of him taking big roles, money, spotlight, etc and it's
>> easier to justify your envy by saying he's such a prick.
>
>It's easy to brush it off as nothing but jealousy. Usually the person accused himself/herself does that. When you hear the pattern of things he actually did, though, there's more to it. Having Captain Kirk as the central character in the show wasn't enough for him. He really wanted it to be *about* Captain Kirk. Gene Roddenberry had to battle with him over that. If there were good lines written for other characters, Shatner would want them changed so Captain Kirk speaks them, etc. And then there's the issue of how he treated his co-stars...he regarded them more as props for William Shatner than actors with supporting roles. These kinds of things understandably build up resentment over a period of years.
>
>> Essentially, I don't see him as a bad guy, and even if he's a
>> prick, I don't think it's very negative. I'm ok with Connors too.
>> Don't like McEnroe types though, obnoxious.
>
>I agree with you that Shatner's not a bad guy. IMO a lot of the prickish behavior I described above has to do with an ego that needs to constantly re-inflate itself. Some people are just like that. The bottom line is that I've never seen him act or speak maliciously even when under fire from the former co-stars, so I can't dislike him.

you have to consider the logic that geniuses (or people great at
something) often like to take the lead, refuse compromise, make things
all about themselves and often refuse to share the glory. that makes
them come across as pricks to many of us. steve jobs being 1 example.
i'm not saying shatner was a performing genius, but he was immensely
popular and kept that popularity for a long long time so maybe he was.
and definitely in his own mind. but i can't knock captain kirk, nope.
:-)

>> Shatner isn't a superbly talented actor and is no surprise he won
>> most awards by virtually playing himself, that guy Denny
>> Crane.
>
>> And that guy, in the episode he was asked to run for presidency,
>> is a prototype for Trump's run. Very fun, remember
>> that?
>
>I didn't watch the show, but I can imagine he'd play that well.

bob

*skriptis

Jun 10, 2017, 3:01:02 PM6/10/17
Here's a two minute clip of that.

https://vimeo.com/1316146

grif

Jun 10, 2017, 3:13:54 PM6/10/17

Gracchus

Jun 10, 2017, 3:52:58 PM6/10/17
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:40:12 AM UTC-7, bob wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus

> >It's easy to brush it off as nothing but jealousy. Usually the person accused himself/herself does that. When you hear the pattern of things he actually did, though, there's more to it. Having Captain Kirk as the central character in the show wasn't enough for him. He really wanted it to be *about* Captain Kirk. Gene Roddenberry had to battle with him over that. If there were good lines written for other characters, Shatner would want them changed so Captain Kirk speaks them, etc. And then there's the issue of how he treated his co-stars...he regarded them more as props for William Shatner than actors with supporting roles. These kinds of things understandably build up resentment over a period of years.

> >> Essentially, I don't see him as a bad guy, and even if he's a
> >> prick, I don't think it's very negative. I'm ok with Connors too.
> >> Don't like McEnroe types though, obnoxious.
> >
> >I agree with you that Shatner's not a bad guy. IMO a lot of the prickish behavior I described above has to do with an ego that needs to constantly re-inflate itself. Some people are just like that. The bottom line is that I've never seen him act or speak maliciously even when under fire from the former co-stars, so I can't dislike him.

> you have to consider the logic that geniuses (or people great at
> something) often like to take the lead, refuse compromise, make things
> all about themselves and often refuse to share the glory. that makes
> them come across as pricks to many of us. steve jobs being 1 example.

Jobs was a prick in many ways. Not just things he said/did to rivals and subordinates in business, but the way he treated his daughter's mother when she got pregnant and denying paternity for years? I can't see creating a different moral standard for someone just because they a a high achiever.

> i'm not saying shatner was a performing genius, but he was immensely
> popular and kept that popularity for a long long time so maybe he was.
> and definitely in his own mind. but i can't knock captain kirk, nope.
> :-)

I can't knock Captain Kirk either, but Shatner sometimes yes. :) As Shatner himself has said, he played Captain Kirk as the man he would *like* to be. It's hard to imagine anyone else imbuing the character with the required charisma as well as Shatner did. Too bad he could never equal that role later. After being Captain Kirk, there's no way T.J. Hooker won't pale in comparison.

Federer Fanatic

Jun 10, 2017, 4:35:57 PM6/10/17
LOL. What true Canadian hero!

FF

bob

Jun 10, 2017, 5:08:52 PM6/10/17
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:52:56 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:40:12 AM UTC-7, bob wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
>
>> >It's easy to brush it off as nothing but jealousy. Usually the person accused himself/herself does that. When you hear the pattern of things he actually did, though, there's more to it. Having Captain Kirk as the central character in the show wasn't enough for him. He really wanted it to be *about* Captain Kirk. Gene Roddenberry had to battle with him over that. If there were good lines written for other characters, Shatner would want them changed so Captain Kirk speaks them, etc. And then there's the issue of how he treated his co-stars...he regarded them more as props for William Shatner than actors with supporting roles. These kinds of things understandably build up resentment over a period of years.

>> >I agree with you that Shatner's not a bad guy. IMO a lot of the prickish behavior I described above has to do with an ego that needs to constantly re-inflate itself. Some people are just like that. The bottom line is that I've never seen him act or speak maliciously even when under fire from the former co-stars, so I can't dislike him.
>
>> you have to consider the logic that geniuses (or people great at
>> something) often like to take the lead, refuse compromise, make things
>> all about themselves and often refuse to share the glory. that makes
>> them come across as pricks to many of us. steve jobs being 1 example.
>
>Jobs was a prick in many ways. Not just things he said/did to rivals and subordinates in business, but the way he treated his daughter's mother when she got pregnant and denying paternity for years? I can't see creating a different moral standard for someone just because they a a high achiever.

i'm not condoning it by any means. just noting my observations of a
lot of people like this and their behavior.

>> i'm not saying shatner was a performing genius, but he was immensely
>> popular and kept that popularity for a long long time so maybe he was.
>> and definitely in his own mind. but i can't knock captain kirk, nope.
>> :-)

>I can't knock Captain Kirk either, but Shatner sometimes yes. :)

haha. you picked up on my hint.

> As Shatner himself has said, he played Captain Kirk as the man he would *like* to be. It's hard to imagine anyone else imbuing the character with the required charisma as well as Shatner did. Too bad he could never equal that role later. After being Captain Kirk, there's no way T.J. Hooker won't pale in comparison.

lol. of course

bob

StephenJ

Jun 10, 2017, 9:00:07 PM6/10/17
It is sad, but jeezus, so many of these actors seem to die at 85, 90,
even older so hard to feel that sorry about it. It's an easy life, if
you become famous.