(OT) Abolish the Senate!

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 6, 2018, 12:33:20 AM12/6/18
In my six decades in public service, I’ve seen many changes in our
nation and its institutions. Yet the most profound change I’ve witnessed
is also the saddest. It is the complete collapse in respect for
virtually every institution of government.

These are not just the grumblings of an angry old man lamenting the loss
of “the good old days.” In December 1958, almost exactly three years
after I entered the House of Representatives, the first American
National Election Study, initiated by the University of Michigan, found
that 73 percent of Americans trusted the federal government “to do the
right thing almost always or most of the time.” As of December 2017, the
same study, now conducted by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center, found
that this number had plummeted to just 18 percent.

There are many reasons for this dramatic decline: the Vietnam War,
Watergate, Ronald Reagan’s folksy but popular message that government
was not here to help, the Iraq War, and worst of all by far, the
Trumpist mind-set.

As an armchair activist, I now have the luxury of saying what I believe
should happen, not what I think can get voted out of committee. I’m
still a pragmatist; I know that profound societal change happens
incrementally, over a long period of time.

Here, then, are some specific suggestions—and they are only just that,
suggestions—for a framework that might help restore confidence and trust
in our precious system of government:

An electoral system based on full participation. At age 18, you are
automatically registered to vote. No photo ID, no residency tests, no
impediments of any kind. Advances in technology can make this happen
effortlessly. Yes, voting should be restricted only to American
citizens. Strict protections against foreign meddling are also necessary.

The elimination of money in campaigns. Period. Elections, like military
service—each is an example of duty, honor, and service to country—should
be publicly funded.

The end of minority rule in our legislative and executive branches. The
Great Compromise, as it was called when it was adopted by the
Constitution’s Framers, required that all states, big and small, have
two senators. The idea that Rhode Island needed two U.S. senators to
protect itself from being bullied by Massachusetts emerged under a
system that governed only 4 million Americans.

Today, in a nation of more than 325 million and 37 additional states,
not only is that structure antiquated, it’s downright dangerous.
California has almost 40 million people, while the 20 smallest states
have a combined population totaling less than that. Yet because of an
18th-century political deal, those 20 states have 40 senators, while
California has just two. These sparsely populated, usually conservative
states can block legislation supported by a majority of the American
people.

My friend Norm Ornstein, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise
Institute, sees a demographic shift coming that will effectively
transform us into two countries. He tells me that “in 2050, 70 percent
of Americans will be living in just 15 states. That 70 percent will then
have 30 senators, and the remaining 30 percent of the people, mainly
those living in the smallest and poorest states, will have 70 senators.”

There is a solution, however, that could gain immediate popular support:
Abolish the Senate. At a minimum, combine the two chambers into one, and
the problem will be solved.

The protection of an independent press. This is where the Founding
Fathers got it exactly right. Jefferson said, “Were it left to me to
decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or
newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to
prefer the latter.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/john-dingell-how-restore-faith-government/577222/

"Every vote counts the same"
-- "bob" of internet

--
"We're trying to help you, Sir"
-- Paramedic in "Little Fockers"

Calimero

Dec 6, 2018, 2:05:21 AM12/6/18
The marxist solution - when you lose elections just change the rules until you are the winner ...

Max

*skriptis

Dec 6, 2018, 3:55:14 AM12/6/18
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:
Pelle, you're meddling in US elections and US system.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The Iceberg

Dec 6, 2018, 4:55:37 AM12/6/18
Yep imagine my surprise, he wants more free money from tax payers as usual for his liberal politicians pals!

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 6, 2018, 5:33:34 AM12/6/18
You mean the Wisconsin Republicans are Marxists? Looking at the
Stalinist in the WH, that kinda figures.

*skriptis

Dec 6, 2018, 5:43:01 AM12/6/18
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:
So far Trump has been compared to:

Hitler
Mussolini
Stalin

But Trump didn't start any war?

Bush, Clinton, Bush junior and Obama all did, started pointless
wars and caused deaths, while not fixing anything.

So something doesn't compute.

Maybe Trump is far better than any of them?

Calimero

Dec 6, 2018, 3:11:18 PM12/6/18
Which wars did Bush, Clinton, Obama start, you lying POS?

Max

*skriptis

Dec 6, 2018, 3:45:24 PM12/6/18
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:
> In my six decades in public service, I’ve seen many changes in our
> nation and its institutions. Yet the most profound change I’ve witnessed
> is also the saddest. It is the complete collapse in respect for
> virtually every institution of government.
>
> These are not just the grumblings of an angry old man lamenting the loss
> of “the good old days.” In December 1958, almost exactly three years
> after I entered the House of Representatives, the first American
> National Election Study, initiated by the University of Michigan, found
> that 73 percent of Americans trusted the federal government “to do the
> right thing almost always or most of the time.” As of December 2017, the
> same study, now conducted by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center, found
> that this number had plummeted to just 18 percent.
>
> There are many reasons for this dramatic decline: the Vietnam War,
> Watergate, Ronald Reagan’s folksy but popular message that government
> was not here to help, the Iraq War, and worst of all by far, the
> Trumpist mind-set.

That's true, more or less, but no demographics?

In 1958 America was 90% white, and 73% had respect for the
institutions their forefathers built. Pretty much corresponding
percentages.

In 2018 America is a "diverse" society, so logically you'd also
get diverse results in respect for some istitutions built by old
white men from bygone era, no?

It's simply not the same people inhabiting the soil anymore, so
different tastes.

I guess that didn't cross your mind?

bob

Dec 9, 2018, 10:22:29 AM12/9/18
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 23:05:19 -0800 (PST), Calimero <calim...@gmx.de>
wrote:
:-) but frankly, nothing to smile or joke about.

bob

bob

Dec 9, 2018, 10:24:24 AM12/9/18
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 07:33:16 +0200, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los>
wrote:
my vote counted the same as every other floridian!
my friends in texas voted too - every 1 of their votes counted exactly
the same as their neighbors' votes! (mostly trump votes, btw! hehehe).

you're kinda slow, do you not understand our system of tallying votes?

bob

bob

Dec 9, 2018, 10:25:06 AM12/9/18
he's not actually meddling - but he dreams to 1 day actually meddle.

bob

jdeluise

Dec 9, 2018, 10:30:59 AM12/9/18
On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 10:24:26 -0500, bob wrote:

> my vote counted the same as every other floridian!

But is it equal to some rural Texan as you originally stated?

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 9, 2018, 12:02:58 PM12/9/18
The same dishonest hehe as always. Good to have the whipping boy back
though.

> you're kinda slow, do you not understand our system of tallying votes?

Read the above. 20 states having a combined population half of that of
CA, have the same number of senators.

guypers

Dec 9, 2018, 1:00:00 PM12/9/18
Beyond his IQ?

The Iceberg

Dec 9, 2018, 1:06:32 PM12/9/18
Pelle meddled in the US mid-terms by continually posting anti-Trump articles on RST, he influenced voters like PWL.

The Iceberg

Dec 9, 2018, 1:09:02 PM12/9/18
Pelle, everything you say is dishonest, cos you never say or explain the real reasons why you support the Demorats or even admit that you have very rich parents.

Calimero

Dec 9, 2018, 3:10:46 PM12/9/18
It is the "United States", no your "Central Committee", comrade Pellya Svanslow ...
STATES!!

Max

Calimero

Dec 9, 2018, 3:12:42 PM12/9/18
On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 7:09:02 PM UTC+1, The Iceberg wrote:
> Pelle, everything you say is dishonest, cos you never say or explain the real reasons why you support the Demorats or even admit that you have very rich parents.

People like Pelle want government jobs in order to be able to tell people how to live their lives.
So he is for Big Government. Typical Demmie.

Max

*skriptis

Dec 9, 2018, 6:00:07 PM12/9/18
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:
And?

Karlović and Ferrer have one vote each in the ATP players council
despite their difference in size.

bob

Dec 10, 2018, 8:26:03 PM12/10/18
yes - the rural texan vote is exactly equal to raja's houston vote.

bob

bob

Dec 10, 2018, 8:27:10 PM12/10/18
On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 19:02:57 +0200, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los>
duh, and what is it about that that you don't understand?

bob

bob

Dec 10, 2018, 8:29:56 PM12/10/18
>Karlovi? and Ferrer have one vote each in the ATP players council
> despite their difference in size.

lol. well put. sometimes you have to drag yourself down to pelle's
level to get through to him. lmao.

bob

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 11, 2018, 2:44:23 AM12/11/18
If you take the (bad) joke contingency out, it's beyond stupid.

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 11, 2018, 3:01:52 AM12/11/18
I understand it just as the Congressman who wrote it does. Every vote
does not count the same. It's a structural issue and stems from the very
sipmle fact that there's and equal number of senators/state regardless
of populations.

You seem to be the only one not able to grok this. Par for your course.

"If HuffPo were to claim the Earth is round I would know it is a disc"
-- Anonymous Trumpski

*skriptis

Dec 11, 2018, 3:14:32 AM12/11/18
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:
This is your problem because unable to process the fact that
something is based on a collective identity, not exclusively an
individual one. Collectives exist pelle.

Senate is the body where the states are supposed to be
represented. Not individual citizens.

Citizens are represented in the house.

The Iceberg

Dec 11, 2018, 7:18:35 AM12/11/18
Classic Pelle, trying to tell Americans about the USA and being WRONG yet again! Lol

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 11, 2018, 7:36:21 AM12/11/18
On 11/12/2018 14.18, The Iceberg wrote:
> Classic Pelle, trying to tell Americans about the USA and being WRONG yet again! Lol

"If HuffPo were to claim the Earth is round I would know it is a disc"
-- Anonymous little trumpski

The Iceberg

Dec 11, 2018, 8:35:37 AM12/11/18
Did anyone on the Huffpost trash paper ever not vote Dem? Lol

bob

Dec 12, 2018, 10:18:32 PM12/12/18
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:01:50 +0200, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los>
let's just say i understand your misunderstanding of it.

bob

bob

Dec 12, 2018, 10:19:25 PM12/12/18
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 04:18:33 -0800 (PST), The Iceberg
<iceber...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Classic Pelle, trying to tell Americans about the USA and being WRONG yet again! Lol

i wonder if pelle's application to Penn State U was accepted or not?
:-)

bob

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 13, 2018, 6:41:10 AM12/13/18
Since you understand it, what exactly is misunderstood? Where do I (or
the Congressman) go wrong?

The Iceberg

Dec 13, 2018, 7:35:32 AM12/13/18
well, you both LOST and were PWNed!

bob

Dec 13, 2018, 8:09:40 PM12/13/18
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:41:08 +0200, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los>
you don't understand the concept, from the get go. it's not your
fault, poor soul.

bob

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 14, 2018, 5:45:37 AM12/14/18
"If HuffPo were to claim the Earth is round I would know it is a disc"
-- Anonymous little Trumpski

Calimero

Dec 14, 2018, 8:51:09 AM12/14/18
That quote is from me, you dimwit.
And I‘m no „Trumpski“.

Max

Pelle Svanslös

Dec 14, 2018, 1:08:35 PM12/14/18
Do you really want to claim ownership of a quote like that?

> And I‘m no „Trumpski“.

Ha ha ha ha ha h a.

Calimero

Dec 14, 2018, 4:14:19 PM12/14/18
Why not?
They are comparable to the Daily Stürmer.

> > And I‘m no „Trumpski“.
> >

> Ha ha ha ha ha h a.

Reread my posts leading up to the 2016 elections.

Max