Germany finishes last in their group

StephenJ

Jun 27, 2018, 12:10:53 PM6/27/18
That's pretty astonishing. Feel bad for the players but not the
nose-picking coach.

--
there is no doubt that the black-white
power struggle in south africa is but a

- Steve Biko

*skriptis

Jun 27, 2018, 12:18:25 PM6/27/18
StephenJ <sjo...@cox.com> Wrote in message:
> That's pretty astonishing. Feel bad for the players but not the
> nose-picking coach.

You don't go from beating host nation, Brazil 7:1 in Brazil to
finishing last in your group.

They must have been doped in 2014.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Yama

Jun 27, 2018, 12:41:51 PM6/27/18
StephenJ kirjoitti 27.6.2018 klo 19:10:
> That's pretty astonishing. Feel bad for the players but not the
> nose-picking coach.

Germany has reached a new Löw.

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 27, 2018, 1:33:10 PM6/27/18
Ya, great result over all... I do like Ozil and Kross... cannot STAND Mr. Scream and Shout Muller... but, just a great match by the South Koreans... over all, it was their world cup redeeming moment, to beat the great Germany 2-0 and eliminate the defenders... the joy on their team after the video review of the first goal was absolutely wonderful for neutrals to watch... seeing what it meant to their national program and fans alike...

Patrick Kehoe

Jun 27, 2018, 1:35:03 PM6/27/18
:))))

Indeed... still Germany have many good young players and will - undoubtedly - reformulate more top internation sides...

Calimero

Jun 27, 2018, 1:36:48 PM6/27/18
Feel bad for Reus.
And for no one else.

Max

StephenJ

Jun 27, 2018, 2:00:13 PM6/27/18
What amazed me was that Germany simply could not score. They didn't
score at all in two of the three games, and in the other game, they
scored only a single goal in the 90 regular minutes of play. They needed
the refs to extend that game to 97 minutes or something to get a second
goal.

One goal in 270 minutes of regular play? That's just pitiful.

Calimero

Jun 27, 2018, 2:06:42 PM6/27/18
On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:00:13 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> What amazed me was that Germany simply could not score. They didn't
> score at all in two of the three games, and in the other game, they
> scored only a single goal in the 90 regular minutes of play. They needed
> the refs to extend that game to 97 minutes or something to get a second
> goal.
>
> One goal in 270 minutes of regular play? That's just pitiful.

South Korea didn't even score once in 270 minutes of "regular play".

Max

--
"Which is why she has never been the well-rounded, cultured, intellectually sophisticated person Serena is."
(Stephen Jaros, comparing Steffi Graf with Serena Williams, rec.sport.tennis, April 14th, 2018)

StephenJ

Jun 27, 2018, 2:15:27 PM6/27/18
That's true. But SK wasn't the defending WC champs and #1 in the fifa rankings.

Calimero

Jun 27, 2018, 2:36:12 PM6/27/18
On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:15:27 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> That's true. But SK wasn't the defending WC champs and #1 in the fifa rankings.

Germany wasn't either.

StephenJ

Jun 27, 2018, 2:52:37 PM6/27/18
On 6/27/2018 1:36 PM, Calimero wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:15:27 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
>> That's true. But SK wasn't the defending WC champs and #1 in the fifa rankings.
>

> Germany wasn't either.

Well yeah they were.

Calimero

Jun 27, 2018, 3:50:25 PM6/27/18
On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:52:37 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> On 6/27/2018 1:36 PM, Calimero wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:15:27 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
> >> That's true. But SK wasn't the defending WC champs and #1 in the fifa rankings.
> >

> > Germany wasn't either.
>
> Well yeah they were.

Oh, I confused the UEFA rankings with the FIFA rankings.
What are the FIFA rankings for??

StephenJ

Jun 27, 2018, 4:23:20 PM6/27/18
On 6/27/2018 2:50 PM, Calimero wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:52:37 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
>>>

>>> Germany wasn't either.
>>
>> Well yeah they were.
>>

> Oh, I confused the UEFA rankings with the FIFA rankings.
> What are the FIFA rankings for??

Beats me?? Maybe wiki can help us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings

ahonkan

Jun 28, 2018, 1:29:56 AM6/28/18
On Wednesday, 27 June 2018 21:48:25 UTC+5:30, *skriptis wrote:
> StephenJ Wrote in message:
> > That's pretty astonishing. Feel bad for the players but not the
> > nose-picking coach.
>

> You don't go from beating host nation, Brazil 7:1 in Brazil to
> finishing last in your group.

Nah, it's 'the curse of the defending champs'. 4 of last 5 defending champs
(Italy, France, Spain and now Germany) have been eliminated at the group
stage in the next world cup!

Whisper

Jun 28, 2018, 6:32:36 AM6/28/18
Yep, they'll probably romp it in 2022.

---
https://www.avg.com

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2018, 6:41:22 AM6/28/18
Its no curse. Germany had a strong 23. They could have taken a good tall striker (Gomez is an idiot) and a good defensive midfielder or two. But they were still strong. But the fuckwit coach got all the lineups wrong, and did not have a proper strategy.

You cannot play 2-8-0 formation and hope to win the World cup. Its borderline retarded.

I hope the coach quits since he cannot be fired.

The Iceberg

Jun 28, 2018, 7:05:59 AM6/28/18
why can't he be fired?!

soccerfan777

Jun 28, 2018, 7:23:23 AM6/28/18
He has a contract until 2022. And the German FA is behind him anyway.

Brian W Lawrence

Jun 28, 2018, 8:27:11 AM6/28/18
On 27/06/2018 19:06, Calimero wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 8:00:13 PM UTC+2, StephenJ wrote:
>> What amazed me was that Germany simply could not score. They didn't
>> score at all in two of the three games, and in the other game, they
>> scored only a single goal in the 90 regular minutes of play. They needed
>> the refs to extend that game to 97 minutes or something to get a second
>> goal.
>>
>> One goal in 270 minutes of regular play? That's just pitiful.
>>

> South Korea didn't even score once in 270 minutes of "regular play".

Also true for Saudi Arabia & Iran.

Number of goals scored (up to Wed 27 June):

H1 - in 1st half (normal time); H2 in 2nd half
et1 - in extra time (end 1st half); et2 2nd half

* one match to be played later today

GS H1 H2 et1 et2 OG Pen Grp
Russia 8 2 4 0 2 1 0 A
England 8 5 1 1 1 0 2 G *
Belgium 8 2 5 1 0 0 1 G *

Croatia 7 1 5 0 1 1 0 D

Spain 6 2 3 0 1 0 0 B

Uruguay 5 3 2 0 0 1 0 A
Portugal 5 4 1 0 0 0 1 B
Brazil 5 2 1 0 2 0 0 E
Switzerland 5 1 4 0 0 0 0 E
Sweden 5 1 4 0 0 1 2 F

Japan 4 2 2 0 0 0 1 H *
Senegal 4 2 2 0 0 1 0 H *
Colombia 4 2 2 0 0 0 0 H *

France 3 1 2 0 0 1 0 C
Argentina 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 D
Nigeria 3 0 3 0 0 0 1 D
Mexico 3 2 1 0 0 0 1 F
Korea 3 0 0 0 3 0 0 F
Tunisia 3 2 0 0 1 0 1 G *

Egypt 2 1 1 0 0 0 1 A
Saudi Arabia 2 0 0 1 1 0 1 A
Iran 2 0 0 0 2 1 1 B
Morocco 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 B
Denmark 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 C
Peru 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 C
Australia 2 1 1 0 0 0 2 C
Iceland 2 1 1 0 0 0 1 D
Serbia 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 E
Costa Rica 2 0 1 0 1 1 0 E
Germany 2 0 1 0 1 0 0 F

Panama 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 G *
Poland 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 H *
116 43 54 3 16 8 16

joh

Jun 28, 2018, 1:19:33 PM6/28/18
On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 1:23:23 PM UTC+2, soccerfan777 wrote:
> He has a contract until 2022. And the German FA is behind him anyway.

He'll be gone.

Calimero

Jun 28, 2018, 1:27:11 PM6/28/18
Yes, he will quit.

Max

"She was an ungainly 'bunny-hopper'".
(Stephen Jaros on Steffi Graf, rec.sport.tennis, May 26th, 2004)

Brian W Lawrence

Jun 29, 2018, 3:58:21 AM6/29/18
On 28/06/2018 13:27, Brian W Lawrence wrote:

You can all do the math.

>               GS    H1 H2  et1 et2  OG Pen  Grp
>              121    44 58    3  16   9  16

121 in 48 matches is an average of 2.52 goals per match.

Since the group stage expanded to 48 games in 1998:

1998 126 goals avg. 2.62
2002 130 2.71
2006 117 2.44
2010 101 2.10
2014 136 2.83

MBDunc

Jun 29, 2018, 12:45:39 PM6/29/18
1990 was all-time lowest for whole WC I think? After that they made some rule changes (like if defender passes to goalie, goalie cannot use hands, also off-side rule was clarified "if unsure not called")

.mikko

Manuel aka Xax

Jun 29, 2018, 8:08:42 PM6/29/18
+5 !

Yama

Jun 30, 2018, 7:23:36 AM6/30/18
MBDunc kirjoitti 29.6.2018 klo 19:45:
> 1990 was all-time lowest for whole WC I think? After that they made some rule changes (like if defender passes to goalie, goalie cannot use hands, also off-side rule was clarified "if unsure not called")

Yes the offside rule was changed for 1994 games and scoring was much
higher. Also they began to reward 3 points from wins.
1992 ECh was probably a low point of international soccer - 0-0 draws
were considered wins and that's what most teams aimed for. If it wasn't
for Denmark's delightful win, those games would be remembered as
snoozefest of all time.

Yama

Jun 30, 2018, 7:29:52 AM6/30/18
ahonkan kirjoitti 28.6.2018 klo 8:29:
> Nah, it's 'the curse of the defending champs'. 4 of last 5 defending champs
> (Italy, France, Spain and now Germany) have been eliminated at the group
> stage in the next world cup!

No curse or choke or collapse. Classic case of "too many chieftains, not
enough Indians."

StephenJ

Jun 30, 2018, 8:28:33 AM6/30/18
The once big conceptual problem with soccer is that moment by moment
dominance often isn't reflected in the scoreboard, so that encourages
this kind of play sometimes.

E.g., in basketball, nobody could ever say "our team dominated and
controlled play, but they got a lucky break and won". In soccer (and in
fairness, in American football as well) that can and does happen.

soccerfan777

Jun 30, 2018, 9:35:02 AM6/30/18
There is no problem in football (soccer). It is immensely enjoyable unless both teams are playing for a draw (happens rarely).

The sport is popular all over the world and is followed feverishly except in US, Canada and Australia. These three countries can take a hike if they dont like the sport. There are 200 plus countries which love it. So fuck off Jaroast.

Yama

Jun 30, 2018, 11:00:11 AM6/30/18
StephenJ kirjoitti 30.6.2018 klo 15:28:
> The once big conceptual problem with soccer is that moment by moment
> dominance often isn't reflected in the scoreboard, so that encourages
> this kind of play sometimes.
>
> E.g., in basketball, nobody could ever say "our team dominated and
> controlled play, but they got a lucky break and won". In soccer (and in
> fairness, in American football as well) that can and does happen.

Ice hockey has similar issue, though to lesser extent, and they have
sometimes made rules changes to encourage scoring.
I recall that ice hockey became extremely low scoring sometimes in late
90s/early 2000's, with 0-0 draws being commonplace in top level
international play. At some point NHL's goal per average actually fell
below that of English Premier League!

MBDunc

Jun 30, 2018, 11:20:35 AM6/30/18
On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 6:00:11 PM UTC+3, Yama wrote:
> Ice hockey has similar issue, though to lesser extent, and they have
> sometimes made rules changes to encourage scoring.
> I recall that ice hockey became extremely low scoring sometimes in late
> 90s/early 2000's, with 0-0 draws being commonplace in top level
> international play. At some point NHL's goal per average actually fell
> below that of English Premier League!

Overgrown goalie gear and trap tactics to blame.

2905 NHL got rid of two line pass offside to strengthen the offensive but that opened another can of worms: http://dearsportsfan.com/2015/02/03/nhl-get-rid-two-line-pass-rule/

.mikko

Yama

Jun 30, 2018, 12:16:36 PM6/30/18
MBDunc kirjoitti 30.6.2018 klo 18:20:
> On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 6:00:11 PM UTC+3, Yama wrote:
>> Ice hockey has similar issue, though to lesser extent, and they have
>> sometimes made rules changes to encourage scoring.
>> I recall that ice hockey became extremely low scoring sometimes in late
>> 90s/early 2000's, with 0-0 draws being commonplace in top level
>> international play. At some point NHL's goal per average actually fell
>> below that of English Premier League!
>
> Overgrown goalie gear and trap tactics to blame.

Yeah, the 'hip-hop gear' got pretty ridiculous at some point...

StephenJ

Jun 30, 2018, 1:02:06 PM6/30/18
On 6/30/2018 10:20 AM, MBDunc wrote:
> On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 6:00:11 PM UTC+3, Yama wrote:
>> Ice hockey has similar issue, though to lesser extent, and they have
>> sometimes made rules changes to encourage scoring.
>> I recall that ice hockey became extremely low scoring sometimes in late
>> 90s/early 2000's, with 0-0 draws being commonplace in top level
>> international play. At some point NHL's goal per average actually fell
>> below that of English Premier League!
>
> Overgrown goalie gear and trap tactics to blame.

Yes, some goalies looked like the stay-puff marshmallow man back there.