Funny, cost of hitting session with some coach

PeteWasLucky

Jul 15, 2016, 1:49:13 PM7/15/16

When I go to play tennis in many of the tennis courts around me, I
see these guys that make living hitting with people or with
children. they usually in tennis clubs in winter and make money
on public courts in summer and fall.

I decided to ask one guy for his rate, and her told me $70 an hour :)
Really? $70 an hour without any court fees?

Of course I am not paying this, it would be okay 30-40 an hour.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

undecided

Jul 16, 2016, 11:52:36 AM7/16/16
$60 around here

undecided

Jul 16, 2016, 11:53:36 AM7/16/16
On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 1:49:13 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
p.s. If you set up many sessions in advance you get a break, maybe they drop it down to $50.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2016, 5:31:49 PM7/16/16
Is it 60 for free public courts?

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2016, 5:39:26 PM7/16/16
undecided <cos...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Public courts?

I wouldn't pay this money to hit with some one, I had many hitting
partners all my life and the last few lessons I took in 2009 were
60 dollars an hour but on private court that charges 35 an hour
for court time. I took these lessons trying to find forehand
volleys but they couldn't help me at all. I was able later to
learn it myself imagining the mechanics and geometry of it and
practicing it on hitting wall.

Also my youngest son that I taught tennis since he was two
suddenly became solid in the last two years, and it's nice to hit
with him as well.
He is in the tennis team in his high school.

jdeluise

Jul 16, 2016, 6:30:12 PM7/16/16
PeteWasLucky <Waleed...@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it 60 for free public courts?

I think you may be misunderstanding when you say they're being paid to
be "hitting partners"... often they're being paid to be mentors or
tutors for young people.... teachers.

Teachers charge more than that for tutoring.

bob

Jul 16, 2016, 8:49:33 PM7/16/16
why do you have to pay for court time? can't you find some public or
school courts?

bob

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2016, 8:53:41 PM7/16/16
jdeluise <jdel...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
They just carry a basket filled with balls and just hit back and forth.
They are in the parks making living.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2016, 8:57:09 PM7/16/16
bob <b...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
I am in Boston area, weather is bad here in winter and fall.

But I play as much as I can in the spring and summer.

Thinking to join some tennis club but they are damn expensive,
1000 dollars to join a year, and one hour of court costs 32
dollars.

Someday I will have to move from here to some other state, but
waiting for the kids to finish their schools, great schools
here.

bob

Jul 16, 2016, 9:14:34 PM7/16/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 20:57:08 -0400 (EDT), PeteWasLucky
you can play 6 months i reckon. i grew up near detroit, same
situation.

>But I play as much as I can in the spring and summer.
>Thinking to join some tennis club but they are damn expensive,
> 1000 dollars to join a year, and one hour of court costs 32
> dollars.

boston one of most expensive areas of the country, that's part of the
deal.

>Someday I will have to move from here to some other state, but
> waiting for the kids to finish their schools, great schools
> here.

my cousin was a professor at boston college for a few yrs, 15 yrs ago.
she moved to UC Santa Barbara cause it's cheaper to live.

bob

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2016, 9:42:28 PM7/16/16
Yes, I play about six months and even more, I can play in 30
degrees as long as there is no snow on the ground.

I love playing tennis, and become depressed when I don't :)

bob

Jul 16, 2016, 9:44:52 PM7/16/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 21:42:26 -0400 (EDT), PeteWasLucky
in HS we had a match where it actually started snowing mid match, we
played on!

bob

PeteWasLucky

Jul 16, 2016, 10:05:11 PM7/16/16
Too much snow in TX :)

Whisper

Jul 17, 2016, 1:41:09 AM7/17/16
I just renewed my club membership - $70 for the year, & free play
tuesday 3pm-9pm & saturdays 11am-6pm. Outside those times it's $12/hr,
just gone up from many yrs at $5/hour.

Plus they put on a free BBQ/beer every 3 months.

bob

Jul 17, 2016, 8:43:43 AM7/17/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 22:05:10 -0400 (EDT), PeteWasLucky
metro detroit...

bob

bob

Jul 17, 2016, 8:45:36 AM7/17/16
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:41:06 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:
that's a good deal.

we have local clay courts, it's a club but only for residents of our
city, $320/year and you can play unlimited long as courts are free.
little busy during peak hours in winter. meticulously maintanined too,
with clubhouse.

right next to them are 2 HC that are free to anyone.

bob

undecided

Jul 17, 2016, 10:09:16 AM7/17/16
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 5:31:49 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Is it 60 for free public courts?

Yes it is. Occasionally you can find varsity hs or college players on vacation and they can do it for a lot less. But, I have so many acquaintances and connections with local players at my level I can always find someone to hit with. Sometimes, I play twice in one day. This past week I did that twice by now my ankle and knee are hurting. Overdid it. In the winter we have like a time-share deal where 8 guys rent a season court (indoor) and we rotate playing doubles. I play every other week for the whole winter, cost is between 400 and 600 dollars. I joined 2 of those for a while and I got to play every week.

The Iceberg

Jul 18, 2016, 5:31:10 AM7/18/16
played social tennis when it started snowing in London, kept going until it got bit ridiculous :D

Whisper

Jul 18, 2016, 6:21:04 AM7/18/16
Wow. You guys are lucky. I've played in blistering heat (48 celsius),
strong winds & rain, but never snow & bitter cold.

bob

Jul 18, 2016, 8:20:58 AM7/18/16
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 20:21:02 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:
played a few matches where i needed to wear gloves to grip the racket.
approx 0deg C. in summer florida though, i don't play at all during
daytime, way too hot/humid.

bob

PeteWasLucky

Jul 18, 2016, 9:58:24 AM7/18/16
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
I grew up playing tennis on clay in blistering heat, no issues,
and I play at times at freezing temperatures, but it's very
challenging in extreme cold because simply the ball doesn't
bounce or move, everything is too slow.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 18, 2016, 10:06:54 AM7/18/16
undecided <cos...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 5:31:49 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
>> Is it 60 for free public courts?
>
> Yes it is. Occasionally you can find varsity hs or college players on vacation and they can do it for a lot less. But, I have so many acquaintances and connections with local players at my level I can always find someone to hit with. Sometimes, I play twice in one day. This past week I did that twice by now my ankle and knee are hurting. Overdid it. In the winter we have like a time-share deal where 8 guys rent a season court (indoor) and we rotate playing doubles. I play every other week for the whole winter, cost is between 400 and 600 dollars. I joined 2 of those for a while and I got to play every week.

Nice arrangement :)

I moved away just fifty miles from a town that had great tennis
club, they used to charge 100 dollars a year for membership plus
the court fees of 40 dollars.
I liked that club a lot.
I am really reluctant just to pay 800 dollars membership for me
and my son a year just for the winter plus the 32 dollars hourly
court fee.

Too much.

Coach

Jul 19, 2016, 5:45:27 AM7/19/16
Here in Holland a typical membership fee is $150 for the year with unlimited play (no court fees). You can play the whole year round, at summertime temperature is 20-30 deg. C and in the winter between -10 and +10 deg. Actual more people play in the winter as a temperature between 5-10 deg. is very nice to play.

Only problem is you'll have to use pressureless balls when it's too cold because otherwise they won't bounce properly.

Another problem is snow, but if we really want to play we remove it (see pictures):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8nlfic4gu9c088/leen%20op%20de%20kubota.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycqq7txmivg6i10/astrid%20achterop%20de%20kubota%202.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycqq7txmivg6i10/astrid%20achterop%20de%20kubota%202.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkm2k346uqkjh2b/baan%205%20gereed%202.jpg?dl=0

Whisper

Jul 19, 2016, 6:18:58 AM7/19/16
That would make it a better workout, so focus on that angle.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 19, 2016, 8:48:07 AM7/19/16
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
Lucky

PeteWasLucky

Jul 19, 2016, 8:48:51 AM7/19/16
Coach <dennisr...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
What about the ice?

Whisper

Jul 19, 2016, 9:06:01 AM7/19/16
Yep, I played from 3-6 today & then had a swim in my gym's heated pool.
Can't believe it was 24 celsius today - it's the middle of winter for
chrissakes! It's 9 degrees above average for this time of yr. A
perfect day with a full moon rising as we played - life's tough.

: )

Coach

Jul 19, 2016, 7:18:42 PM7/19/16
Op dinsdag 19 juli 2016 14:48:51 UTC+2 schreef PeteWasLucky:
When the next day the sun shines (hard and/or long enough) the ice will melt.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 19, 2016, 8:48:44 PM7/19/16
I was thinking driving my snow thrower and cleaning the tennis courts, but I was wondering if I should do one court or all of them, last year, we had ten feet of snow.

Coach

Jul 20, 2016, 8:48:18 PM7/20/16
Op woensdag 20 juli 2016 02:48:44 UTC+2 schreef PeteWasLucky:
> I was thinking driving my snow thrower and cleaning the tennis courts, but I was wondering if I should do one court or all of them, last year, we had ten feet of snow.

You really have to watch out you don't damage the courts!

On multiple occasions we cleaned the courts and it would snow again the next day...