The Don: From Princess to Fighter

1 view

grif

Oct 1, 2011, 8:02:33 AM10/1/11
World No. 55 Donald Young reached his first ATP World Tour final on Saturday
in Bangkok as he ousted second seed Gael Monfils 4-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(5) in the
semi-finals of the PTT Thailand Open.

"I'm excited, I'm stoked, all the words that mean you're happy to be in my
first final," declared Young. "I've seen a lot of my peers make finals and I'm
happy to be in my first one. It's great to beat a Top 10 player of the
calibre of Gael."

The American has more than halved his ranking over the past eight weeks. At
the beginning of August he was World No. 128, but runs to the semi-finals at
the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington D.C. (l. to Stepanek), the
fourth round at the US Open (l. to Murray) and now the final in Bangkok mean
he will crack the Top 50 at around World No. 43 on Monday.

The 22 year old trailed 1-4 in the third set, but fought back to force a
tie-break and earned match point with a successful Hawk-Eye challenge. He
converted it to claim victory in two hours and 46 minutes. "Lately in the
big matches I've won I've been down and I've had to come back. I'm just
trying to fight and not give up and it pays dividends at the end of
matches," explained Young.

Monfils was looking to press his claim for one of the remaining four places
at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals; the Frenchman is currently 14th in
the South African Airways 2011 ATP Year-To-Date Rankings. "Donald played
very well. I had opportunities but I didn't manage to play better than him
in the key moments of the match," conceded the right-hander. "He was just
better than me today."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/09/39/Bangkok-Saturday-Young-Reaches-First-Final.aspx

Sakari Lund

Oct 1, 2011, 9:00:45 AM10/1/11
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 13:02:33 +0100, "grif" <griff...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The American has more than halved his ranking over the past eight weeks. At
>the beginning of August he was World No. 128, but runs to the semi-finals at
>the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington D.C. (l. to Stepanek), the
>fourth round at the US Open (l. to Murray) and now the final in Bangkok mean
>he will crack the Top 50 at around World No. 43 on Monday.

Yes, quite a change from being the joke of the Tour.