Rusedski d. Sampras 6-4, 6-2 in final.

drew

Oct 26, 2010, 2:27:54 PM10/26/10
Seniors ATP event in China. Not an exo.

undecided

Oct 26, 2010, 4:48:48 PM10/26/10
On Oct 26, 2:27 pm, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
> Seniors ATP event in China.  Not an exo.

seniors tour is not ATP. Regardless, I am sure Pete is pissed. How can
he lose to Rusedski?

drew

Oct 26, 2010, 11:50:59 PM10/26/10

Just illustrates the bullshit surrounding the Feds/Sampras exo. If
Rusedski can take
Sampras out how in hell would Sampras have a chance against Federer if
he's playing
to win?

Carey

Oct 27, 2010, 6:07:59 AM10/27/10

Good question.
Give lisperbot a little time to come up with something though- it
could be funny.

Whisper

Oct 27, 2010, 6:22:55 AM10/27/10

I didn't think an answer was necessary.

This is tennis, & sometimes a guy can lose 16 16 yet come out & beat the
same guy next time just as easily. Sampras is retired, & playing a low
skilled guy he could beat in his sleep in his playing days. Any excuse
is valid. This isn't a case of absolute Sampras v absolute Rusedski.

Sampras also likely more jacked up to play Federer & then Pedski.

Is that enough or you want more?

Carey

Oct 27, 2010, 6:43:52 AM10/27/10

Excellent answer- losing to_Rusedski_is on every great player's hope
list. :)
Now go back to the Lendl/ Mac thread you're avoiding, and do your
dissembling best.

drew

Oct 27, 2010, 10:23:27 AM10/27/10
> Is that enough or you want more?-

I'm hungry for more Whispo gigglers.

The fact is that the seniors tour is not an exo. It may not be the
players at their competitive prime
but the scores tend to reflect the result of a genuine competitive
match.

If you think a player can walk out of retirement and beat the best guy
in the world take a look
at how Muster is doing on the tour against nobodies. Sure, he's a
little bit older than Sampras but
it really doesn't matter. The fact is that you can't leave the game
for a few years AFTER retirement in
your thirties or forties, then return after a little training to play
competitively at the tour level.

Your loyalty to guys like Sampras and McEnroe is touching but you are
a stubborn, gullible fool who
lives in a fantasy world.

undecided

Oct 27, 2010, 1:38:58 PM10/27/10

Well, McEnroe is taking the seniors tour seriously (probably more
seriously than he took the pro tour). His results against players
15-20 years younger than him shows that talent trumps age.

I am puzzled by how Sampras (semi-retired or not) could lose to
Rusedski. Can't come with a scenario in my mind.

On the ATP their record was 9-1 in Sampras's favour with the 1 loss
being on Carpet.

1998 ATP Masters Series Paris
France Carpet F Rusedski, Greg
6-4, 7-6(4), 6-3 Stats

drew

Oct 27, 2010, 3:49:09 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 1:38 pm, undecided <cost...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, McEnroe is taking the seniors tour seriously (probably more
> seriously than he took the pro tour). His results against players
> 15-20 years younger than him shows that talent trumps age.

I'd say that it shows you have to work hard if you want success.
My guess is that most of the guys DON'T take the seniors tour
seriously
and that opens the door wide for anybody who is willing to make a
commitment.

> I am puzzled by how Sampras (semi-retired or not) could lose to
> Rusedski. Can't come with a scenario in my mind.

Maybe Rusedski is in better shape than Sampras. Fitness is a big
factor in older players.

> On the ATP their record was 9-1 in Sampras's favour with the 1 loss
> being on Carpet.

A lot of water under the bridge since then.

jdeluise

Oct 27, 2010, 5:49:32 PM10/27/10

On 27-Oct-2010, undecided <cos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am puzzled by how Sampras (semi-retired or not) could lose to
> Rusedski. Can't come with a scenario in my mind.

Only an irrational fan would be puzzled by this.....

wenquan lee

Oct 27, 2010, 11:10:22 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 2:27 am, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
> Seniors ATP event in China.  Not an exo.

it was in chengdu, sichuan.

conditions were a write-off for decent tennis - the court was
incredibly wet but the punters wanted some tennis. i should know as i
was one of them, and i was there.

simple truth is that greg served better than pete last weekend. he was
also more confident and comfortable underfoot on the wet surface.i
think he absolutely deserved to win.

i think rusedski at his best always has a shot against top guys - and
he's always had excellent intermittent runs. he played well to beat
pete on carpet in 98. for me, he was always far more likeable than
henman. more limited player, but more of a fighter.

pete wasn't thrilled but i don't think he's in these exos with the
same intensity of his pro days - and to be fair, none of the players
are - unless they have a rival/special opponent to get up for playing.

seriously, look into the story so that any criticism is well-balanced
and fair. pretty easy to google something and interpet it blindly.

Iceberg

Oct 28, 2010, 8:01:54 AM10/28/10

man, good to see you post once in a while again, must've been cool to
be there despite the rain.