Roddick to retire soon?

drew

Oct 13, 2010, 10:56:34 AM10/13/10
His latest injury makes me wonder if he's almost ready to wave the
white flag. I can see him playing one more year on the tour and if it
isn't better than this year I predict Roddick will retire in 2012.

A guy like Roddick probably wants to give it everything until age 30
and then he'll walk away without regrets.

Inglourious Basterd

Oct 13, 2010, 11:02:31 AM10/13/10

I think he will have regrets.....like not winning Wimbledon!

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 13, 2010, 11:10:43 AM10/13/10

Interesting question really... let's think about this:

He put in so much over the last 4 seasons that he's 'seemingly'
attempted to 'do all he could' while still in his 20s... he'll turn 29
next year, so, ya, you have a point... he was right there to the
bitter end in trying to get a Wimbledon in 2009... but, he doesn't
make make many slam finals... and he's got a lot of money or at least
has made a TON of money... from 2003 till 2007 he was on camera
commercials, car commercials, computer commercials, pop commercials...
he really must have raked in some serious off court green over that
time... as well as all the money he's made on court, of course...
so...

So... married now and with his 'injury cycle' repeating itself... he's
done DC, he's won a slam, if only one he's 'accomplished' that, won
tons of titles (over 20)... he might give 2011 and 2012 a go,
certainly with the Olympic tennis playdowns at Wimbledon, he's likely
keen for that as one of his end game markers... it all fits/could fit
nicely... chronic injury notwithstanding...

drew

Oct 13, 2010, 11:11:20 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 11:02 am, Inglourious Basterd
<thetruetennisg...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13 Oct, 15:56, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > His latest injury makes me wonder if he's almost ready to wave the
> > white flag.  I can see him playing one more year on the tour and if it
> > isn't better than this year I predict Roddick will retire in 2012.
>
> > A guy like Roddick probably wants to give it everything until age 30
> > and then he'll walk away without regrets.
>
> I think he will have regrets.....like not winning Wimbledon!

Regrets are for things you might have changed. Roddick did everything
he could
to win Wimbledon and he fell just short. He should have no regrets.
He has also
worked his ass off to stay near the top of the game for a long time
and he has not been
afraid to change his game, even if the results haven't occurred for
him.

Javier González

Oct 13, 2010, 11:14:30 AM10/13/10

Well, so far all he has to regret is being born at rouhgly the same
time as Federer. Spent his peak years playing under the shadow of a
guy who was ridiculously better than him.

So yeah, I don't think he'd have regrets. *Wish* he'd have won one of
those finals against Federer, sure, but no *regrets* on that.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 13, 2010, 11:14:45 AM10/13/10

True, very true... Roddick will feel the sting of having come so close
and not crossed that line at Wimbledon, not having his name on that
wall of champions will be a bitter pill BUT YES he will also know that
he drove himself to the limit and pushed the best player of his
generation at Wimbledon to the limit in coming up short... so there is
a kind of solice in that, if a paradoxical one...

Iceberg

Oct 13, 2010, 11:29:48 AM10/13/10

yes, also he's a very popular man at Wimbledon, loved and respected,
he won many many fans from that 2009 final. It even surprised the
number of people that said to me during the tournament this year that
they wish he'd won that match.

topspin

Oct 13, 2010, 11:45:45 AM10/13/10

Yes, Wimbledon 2012 must be a last target unless the injuries become
too much. Amazing how 30 is the witching time for tennis injuries,
over and over again.

Professor Bing Bing

Oct 13, 2010, 11:51:04 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 9:56 am, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
> His latest injury makes me wonder

What injury?

drew

Oct 13, 2010, 12:12:18 PM10/13/10

Groin. Had to retire Shanghai mid-match.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 13, 2010, 1:31:54 PM10/13/10

His right thigh was massively tapped as well...

Professor Bing Bing

Oct 13, 2010, 1:34:53 PM10/13/10

> > Groin.  Had to retire Shanghai mid-match.
>
> His right thigh was massively tapped as well...

Bummer.

bob

Oct 13, 2010, 5:20:43 PM10/13/10

roddick retires at 30, i bet by 31 he's single again.

bob

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 13, 2010, 6:53:57 PM10/13/10
> bob- Hide quoted text -

Will depend on his wasteline, as his hairline has obviously not been a
factor... Pete managed it, though of course, Pete's a legendary
sporting figure... so, not a great parallel there :)

bob

Oct 13, 2010, 9:07:10 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Kehoe
<pke...@telus.net> wrote:

IMO depends more on his "fameline" than "waistline".

bob

reilloc

Oct 13, 2010, 11:49:44 PM10/13/10

My plan is to go until I'm 85, and then, whether I can afford it or not,
cut back.

LNC