Murray vs Del Potro

stephenJ

Jun 3, 2017, 8:23:59 AM6/3/17
Murray wins a very entertaining first set, 10-8 in a tiebreaker.

Too bad neither of these guys has a chance to win the title. Casts a
pall over it.

---

Guypers

Jun 3, 2017, 11:15:04 AM6/3/17
Delpo gave up after the first set?

stephenJ

Jun 5, 2017, 7:22:47 PM6/5/17
When someone wins by a score of 7-5, 6-1, there's typically too much
talk about 'giving up'. Give credit to the winner for breaking the other
player's spirit, hard to do given that they are a professional and by
nature highly competitive.

Guypers

Jun 5, 2017, 7:37:42 PM6/5/17
My ass, most of them do, Monfils today in the third set, Fed at 08 FO final, Borg tanked routinely!

Gracchus

Jun 5, 2017, 7:47:28 PM6/5/17
On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-7, Guypers wrote:

> My ass, most of them do, Monfils today in the third set, Fed at 08 FO final, Borg tanked routinely!

I didn't see today's match and don't know it he tanked, but Montfils is a mental flake and idiot who never learned to pace himself in a 3-of-5 set match. That accounts for a lot of his losses. Borg also tired himself out in matches early in his career, but I don't remember that being an issue or him ever tanking in prime years of '77-81. I've no doubt that Federer did tank the FO '08 final. That's an isolated case for him though.

bob

Jun 6, 2017, 9:04:09 PM6/6/17
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 16:47:25 -0700 (PDT), Gracchus
<grac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-7, Guypers wrote:
>
>> My ass, most of them do, Monfils today in the third set, Fed at 08 FO final, Borg tanked routinely!
>
>I didn't see today's match and don't know it he tanked, but Montfils is a mental flake and idiot who never learned to pace himself in a 3-of-5 set match. That accounts for a lot of his losses.

very true. monfils is more interested in dumbell curls than building
up his stamina. hence, his results.