Worst turn of phrase by Gimelstob

number_six

Mar 7, 2010, 3:29:07 PM3/7/10
I'll paraphrase, it went something like this --

If Isner played this well in his first match, he would've smoked
Troicki like a pack of Kools.

Not funny, Gimel. The only time smoking is cool is in film noir.

DavidW

Mar 7, 2010, 3:56:17 PM3/7/10

Not particularly funny, but I think you're over-sensitive. Many people smoke.
That's a fact, so Gimelstob used it in a joke. Big deal.

pltrgyst

Mar 7, 2010, 10:50:10 PM3/7/10
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:29:07 -0800 (PST), number_six <cybe...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'll paraphrase, it went something like this --
>
>If Isner played this well in his first match, he would've smoked
>Troicki like a pack of Kools.

No, the ignorant fool said something even more stupid than that, when he
described Djoker's service motion to "swinging a jai alai bat."

"Bat." Guess he's never heard the term "cistera" or "xistera."

The man is a 100% grade A jackass, and a disgrace to Jersey guys in general.

-- Larry

Rodjk #613

Mar 8, 2010, 8:02:37 AM3/8/10
On Mar 7, 9:50 pm, pltrgyst <pltrg...@xhost.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:29:07 -0800 (PST), number_six <cyberi...@hotmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >I'll paraphrase, it went something like this --
>
> >If Isner played this well in his first match, he would've smoked
> >Troicki like a pack of Kools.
>
> No, the ignorant fool said something even more stupid than that, when he
> described Djoker's service motion to "swinging a jai alai bat."
>
> "Bat." Guess he's never heard the term "cistera" or "xistera."
>
> The man is a 100% grade A jackass, and a disgrace to Jersey guys in general.
>
> -- Larry

He seems to think that Bud Collins was the coolest announcer ever, and
that the way to fame is to imitate Bud...

Rodjk #613

Ted S.

Mar 8, 2010, 9:56:49 AM3/8/10
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 22:50:10 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:

> The man is a 100% grade A jackass, and a disgrace to Jersey guys in
> general.

Not only that, but he had his head so far up the US team's asses it
wasn't funny. I consistently wanted to reach through the screen and
throttle him.

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com

drew

Mar 8, 2010, 12:47:48 PM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 9:56 am, "Ted S." <tedsten...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 22:50:10 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:
> > The man is a 100% grade A jackass, and a disgrace to Jersey guys in
> > general.
>
> Not only that, but he had his head so far up the US team's asses it
> wasn't funny.  I consistently wanted to reach through the screen and
> throttle him.

Ahh, if only such interactivity would be possible.

As it is you can only do the Elvis Presley thing and shoot the screen.

Of course ending the program on a CRT with a bullet or a bat was much
more fun than LCD or plasma....and cheaper.

number_six

Mar 8, 2010, 3:25:50 PM3/8/10
> Rodjk #613- Hide quoted text -

Funny, the thought ran through my mind that he was trying to be like
Brad Gilbert. There was a forced, artificial aspect to Gimelstob's on-
air persona, as if he was trying to establish some form of street cred
that actually existed only in his imagination.

number_six

Mar 8, 2010, 3:30:56 PM3/8/10

True, many people smoke. Most of them began the practice when they
were relatively young, did not have good impulse control, and emulated
what seemed either grown-up, or rebellious. I'd rather not have
tennis announcers exacerbate the problem.