Official rst Wimbledon predictions 2017

DavidW

Jun 30, 2017, 6:36:54 AM6/30/17
Hello,

The draws are out for Hops's former contest:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=LS

Same rules, predict the winner/finalist for both men and women. Scoring
allocation:

Winner Pick is Winner 6 points
Finalist Pick is Finalist 4 points
Winner Pick is Finalist 3 points
Finalist Pick is Winner 3 points

Picks must be from different sides of the draw. If they are from the
same side, only the Winner pick will be allowed.

If one of your picks is in danger of pulling out of the event you can
select an alternate pick, but the alternate is only valid if the
original pick withdraws before their first match.

All entries will be listed here:
http://home.pacific.net.au/~davidw/tennis/contest/rst_2017sp_WM.html

Entries must be posted before the first ball is struck in London on Monday.

Good luck.

Laurent

Jun 30, 2017, 12:17:17 PM6/30/17
Federer def. Nadal
Kvitova def. Kerber

Bharath Purohit

Jun 30, 2017, 12:21:34 PM6/30/17
Federer def. Murray
Kerber def. Kvitova

ahonkan

Jun 30, 2017, 1:02:34 PM6/30/17
On Friday, 30 June 2017 16:06:54 UTC+5:30, DavidW wrote:

David, thanks as always for hosting this!

Fed d Kyrgios
Kvitova d Bacszinsky

undecided

Jun 30, 2017, 3:42:35 PM6/30/17
Kvitova def. VANDEWEGHE
Rafa def. Federer

Federer Fanatic

Jul 1, 2017, 2:40:03 AM7/1/17
Federer defeats Murray

--

The measure of a man is what he does with power.
- Plato

Federer Fanatic

Jul 1, 2017, 2:49:51 AM7/1/17
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 20:36:56 +1000, DavidW <n...@email.provided> wrote:
Ostapenko d. Kerber

FF

Ivan

Jul 1, 2017, 4:25:44 AM7/1/17
Fed d Murray

Wozniacki d Halep

Good luck Ivan

The Iceberg

Jul 1, 2017, 5:08:17 AM7/1/17
Kerber d Vekic
Murray d Raonic (even though we all know Fed should absolutely walk this one)

getting my entry in, in case DavidW tries to cheat me in bias favour of the Fedfans again! :)

Bharath Purohit

Jul 1, 2017, 7:04:41 AM7/1/17
Oh come on icey, DavidW (alongside Manuel & Brian Lawrence) is the most honest and best poster of RST. Never baised towards Fedtards

bob

Jul 1, 2017, 2:43:07 PM7/1/17
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 20:36:56 +1000, DavidW <n...@email.provided> wrote:

federer def murray
ka pliskova def venus

bob

Brian W Lawrence

Jul 1, 2017, 4:59:37 PM7/1/17
On 01/07/2017 12:04, Bharath Purohit wrote:

> Oh come on icey, DavidW (alongside Manuel & Brian Lawrence) is the most honest and best poster of RST. Never baised towards Fedtards

Thanks (again).

If it helps anyone with a last minute prediction I researched the
performance of the seeds in the men's singles over the last 10
years:

Wimbledon MS Seed Performance 2007-16

S# 2007 008 009 010 011 012 013 014 015 016 WF LF SF QF R4 R3 R2 R1 wd
1 WF LF wd QF LF SF LF WF WF R3 3 3 1 1 - 1 - - 1
2 LF WF WF WF WF R2 WF R4 LF WF 6 2 - - 1 - 1 - -
9 5 1 1 1 1 1 - 1

3 QF R2 SF SF QF WF R2 QF SF SF 1 - 4 3 - - 2 - -
4 SF* R1 QF SF SF LF QF LF QF R2 - 2 3 3 - - 1 1 -
1 2 7 6 - - 3 1 -

5 R3 R3 R2 R4 R3 SF R1 QF R2* R4* - - 1 1 2 3 2 1 -
6 R4 R2 LF QF R4 R1 R2* R3 R4 LF - 2 - 1 3 1 2 1 -
7 QF R1 R4 R2 R4 QF QF R2 R3 R4* - - - 3 3 1 2 1 -
8 wd R4 R4 R1 R3 R3 SF SF wd R2 - - 2 - 2 2 1 1 2
- 2 3 5 10 7 7 4 2

9 R3 R2 R3 R4 R3 R4 R3 R3 QF QF - - - 2 2 5 1 - -
10 QF R4 R3 QF QF R4 R2w R4 R2 SF - - 1 3 3 1 2 - -
11 R2 R3 R3 R1 R3 R1 R1 SF R3 R4 - - 1 - 1 4 1 3 -
12 SF QF R3 LF SF R3 R3 R2 QF QF - 1 2 3 - 3 1 - -
13 R4w R4 R4 R2 R2 R2 R4 R2 R3 R2 - - - - 4 1 5 - -
14 R4 R3 R1 R1 R2 R1 R1 R4 R4 R3 - - - - 3 2 1 4 -
15 R3 R2 R3 R4 R3 R3 R3 R3 R2 R4 - - - - 2 6 2 - -
16 R4 R3 R3 R4 R3 R4 R1* R3 R4 R2 - - - - 4 4 1 1 -
- 1 4 8 19 26 14 8 -

17 R2 R4 R1 R1 R4 R3 R2 R2 R3 R1 - - - - 2 2 3 3 -
18 R3 R1 R2 R4 R4 R4 R2* R1 R3 R3 - - - - 3 3 2 2 -
19 R4 R2 R4 R1 R4 R3 R1 R4 R1 R4 - - - - 5 1 1 3 -
20 QF R4 R4 R1 R2 R1 R4 R4 R4 R1 - - - 1 5 - 1 3 -
21 R3 R2* R1 R3 R2 R2 R1 R3 SF R1 - - 1 - - 3 3 3 -
22 R3 R4 QF R3 R1 R2 R3 R2 R4 R3 - - - 1 2 4 2 1 -
23 R3 R2 R4 R2 R1* R1 R4 R4 R4 R2 - - - - 4 1 3 2 -
24 R2 R2 SF R1 R4 R1 SF R2 R3 R3 - - 2 - 1 2 3 2 -
25 R1 R3 R1 R3 R2 R1 R3 R1 R3 R2 - - - - - 4 2 4 -
26 R3 R1 R3 R3 R2 QF R3 QF R4 R2 - - - 2 1 4 2 1 -
27 R1 R3 R3 wd R1 QF R3 R3 R3 R3 - - - 1 - 6 - 2 1
28 R3 R3 R3 R3 R3 R3 R3 R1 R1 QF - - - 1 - 7 - 2 -
29 R2 R3 R4 R3 R1 R3 R2 R1 R1 R1 - - - - 1 3 2 4 -
30 R1 wd R3 R1 R1 R3 R1 R2 R2 R2 - - - - - 2 3 4 1
31 R1 QF R3 R3* R2* QF R2 R1 R1 R3 - - - 2 - 3 2 3 -
32 R1 R1* R3 R4 R3 R1 R3 R1 R2 QF - - - 1 1 3 1 4 -
33 - - R1 R3 - - - - - - - - - - - 1 - 1 -
- - 3 9 25 49 30 44 2

wd withdrew before tournament started
* retired due to injury during match
w withdrew after playing earlier round(s)

Note: In 2009-10 when a seed withdrew a 33rd seed was named and moved
into a seed's slot in the draw, but not into the slot of the seed who
withdrew. EG when Rafa, seeded 1, withdrew in '09 his slot was taken by
the #5 seed - del Potro, not the new 33rd seed (Nikolas Kiefer).

Sorry if the above suffers from wordwrap, suggest copying it into a text
file if it's of interest.

It's poss. to work out various percentages - for example, the #17 to #32
seeds are expected to reach the third round but to lose at that point.
From the totals on the last line we can see that of 162 seeds (includes
the 2 x #33 seeds) - none reached the final; 3 lost in the SF (1.85%);
9 lost in the QF (5.55%); 25 lost in R4 (15.4%), etc.

At the top of the seed table #1 & #2 together won 9 of the 10 finals and
lost 5 of the 10.

---

Court_1

Jul 1, 2017, 10:15:22 PM7/1/17
Federer d Nadal
Kvitova d Pliskova

Court_1

Jul 1, 2017, 10:24:10 PM7/1/17
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:15:22 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:
> Federer d Nadal
> Kvitova d Pliskova

When I say Pliskova, I mean Karloina Pliskova and not Kristyna. That seems obvious but just for the sake of clarity.

bob

Jul 1, 2017, 10:37:46 PM7/1/17
so we differ wtih Nadal VS Murray in final
Kvitova and Venus in final.

venus btw, was in a car accident a few weeks ago here and was at fault
and the other car had a person die, and another badly injured.

they filed a suit a couple days ago. wonder if that will affect her.
damn.

bob

DavidW

Jul 2, 2017, 2:29:57 AM7/2/17
In this case there's only one Pliskova in the half Kvitova is not in, so
the surname is sufficient.

DavidW

Jul 2, 2017, 2:32:12 AM7/2/17
Nadal d. Federer
Lisicki d. Pliskova

Whisper

Jul 2, 2017, 7:50:25 AM7/2/17

Nadal d Federer 64 63 63

Venus d Wozniacki 62 63

---
http://www.avg.com

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 2, 2017, 8:40:58 AM7/2/17
Not sure why, but the link from the webpage fails to open the pdf version (the one I like the most when having to pick).
Here is the direct link to that pdf:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf
For the ladies:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ls/lsdraw.pdf

Will give both a look, most likely before picking four names :-)

TT

Jul 2, 2017, 11:19:50 AM7/2/17
Nadal d. Djokovic
Gal Gadot d. Lynda Carter

If the latter two don't play then Kerber d Kvitova

Scall5

Jul 2, 2017, 11:39:07 AM7/2/17
"DavidW" wrote in message news:oj59k2$1u6u$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

Hello,

The draws are out for Hops's former contest:
*******************

I'll go out on a limb with:
Marin Cilic over Miles Raonic
Petra Kvitova over Karolina Pliskova

Thanks DavidW!!!
-----------------------------
Scall5

PeteWasLucky

Jul 2, 2017, 11:56:40 AM7/2/17
> Marin Cilic over Miles Raonic

I like your picks but I hope Federer is in the final, and it will be against Cilic.

Bharath Purohit

Jul 2, 2017, 12:08:47 PM7/2/17
Oh fuck. Wishper has picked Rafa ! Now Rafa wont even get paas first week for sure :-(

Bharath Purohit

Jul 2, 2017, 12:09:02 PM7/2/17
*pass

Guypers

Jul 2, 2017, 12:12:19 PM7/2/17
Rafa will lose 3-6,2-6,3-6 to Cilic

Carey

Jul 2, 2017, 12:18:52 PM7/2/17
On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 9:12:19 AM UTC-7, Guypers wrote:

> Rafa will lose 3-6,2-6,3-6 to Cilic

...while whining and stalling the whole way. Don't think he'll try the shoulder- bump with Cilic, though. ;)

Gracchus

Jul 2, 2017, 12:21:55 PM7/2/17
On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 9:08:47 AM UTC-7, Bharath Purohit wrote:

> Oh fuck. Wishper has picked Rafa ! Now Rafa wont even get paas first week for sure :-(

Thank you, Whisper!

Scall5

Jul 2, 2017, 12:36:05 PM7/2/17

"PeteWasLucky" wrote in message

> Marin Cilic over Miles Raonic

I like your picks but I hope Federer is in the final, and it will be against
Cilic.
*************

I have Lopez losing to Raonic in the semi's but would prefer to see Lopez
vs. Cilic in the final. I love Lopez's style of play. I got the impression
that they (Lopez and Cilic) may not like each other much during the final at
Queens. :)
-----------------------------
Scall5

DavidW

Jul 2, 2017, 1:47:32 PM7/2/17
On 02-Jul-17 10:40 PM, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> Not sure why, but the link from the webpage fails to open the pdf version (the one I like the most when having to pick).
> Here is the direct link to that pdf:
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf
> For the ladies:
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ls/lsdraw.pdf

Speaking of the PDFs, since the AO this year the names in them cannot be
copied as text or searched for, which makes my job harder. At the AO I
thought they'd just messed up the format, but I can only assume now that
it's deliberate.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 2, 2017, 1:48:30 PM7/2/17
Thank you DavidW for continuing this.

Gentlemen Novak Djokovic defeats Andy Murray
Ladies Petra Kvitova defeats Angelique Kerber
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Shakes

Jul 2, 2017, 2:37:31 PM7/2/17
:))

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 2, 2017, 2:44:32 PM7/2/17
Le vendredi 30 juin 2017 12:36:54 UTC+2, DavidW a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> The draws are out for Hops's former contest:
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=LS
>
> Same rules, predict the winner/finalist for both men and women. Scoring
> allocation:
>
> Winner Pick is Winner 6 points
> Finalist Pick is Finalist 4 points
> Winner Pick is Finalist 3 points
> Finalist Pick is Winner 3 points
>
> Picks must be from different sides of the draw. If they are from the
> same side, only the Winner pick will be allowed.
>
> If one of your picks is in danger of pulling out of the event you can
> select an alternate pick, but the alternate is only valid if the
> original pick withdraws before their first match.
>
> All entries will be listed here:
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~davidw/tennis/contest/rst_2017sp_WM.html
>
> Entries must be posted before the first ball is struck in London on Monday.
>
> Good luck.

First, I hope this W will be more like AO than FO : surprises really all along, including final round(s) :-)

I'd really like to see Stan complete his own NCYGS, no matter who he faces (yes, even denying Federer his 8th + 19th, as long as such match was to reach absolute top finals here).
Would be even better if he has to beat both Murray (how ready is he really ?) and Nadal (how much "green" has he been eating lately ?) en route.
That was for the top half :-)

On the lower part, I wish Federer will make it to the final, and then... Well, see previous point, if it's not Stan on the other side I'll root for Federer.
My concern is that players I'd like to see making a breakthrough (Raonic, Zverev, Dimitrov) are on Fed's path :-)
Of course, there are some on the top half too who might bring some cool if not bigger upsets (Brown, Pouille, Kyrgios, or even Khachanov).
I wonder how much mental boost Berdych might have gained from that clean exo won over Nadal.

Federer def. Kyrgios

Cant' say I've cared to speculate that much over the women's draw :-/
Given how poorly Kerber has been playing since she became top ranked, I just can't root for her.
Ostapenko charmed me, despite quite poor tennis (not seeded and her Nadalesque fighting spirit, most likely), yet she is in Kvitova part of the draw... Hard to pick her over Petra.
Plus, I would not mind (understatement) a last hurray for Venus :-)

Yet, I'll go for
Muguruza def. Kvitova

NB:
Question for those who picked Cilic: have you checked his H2H vs Kolhy ? Marin is down 3/6, that's why I didn't pick him, I wonder how deep he will be forced to dig on his first match.
Should he win that opening round quite easily (even if not in straight sets), he should be really dangerous (more opened draw than most contenders, after R1).

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 2, 2017, 3:24:04 PM7/2/17
Dumb move from ATP (or IBM, or whoever decided).
And yes, I assume it's deliberate too.

Can I ask what OS you're using ?
I can't remember not being able to copy 'n' paste from a pdf (using OS X Mavericks and Linux, most of the time).

jdeluise

Jul 2, 2017, 3:32:15 PM7/2/17
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 12:24:01 -0700, Manuel aka Xax wrote:

> Dumb move from ATP (or IBM, or whoever decided).
> And yes, I assume it's deliberate too.
>
> Can I ask what OS you're using ?
> I can't remember not being able to copy 'n' paste from a pdf (using OS X
> Mavericks and Linux, most of the time).

You've never seen images masquerading as PDFs?

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jul 2, 2017, 4:11:56 PM7/2/17
In article <oj59k2$1u6u$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, n...@email.provided (DavidW)
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The draws are out for Hops's former contest:
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=LS
>
> Same rules, predict the winner/finalist for both men and women.
> Scoring allocation:
>
> Winner Pick is Winner 6 points
> Finalist Pick is Finalist 4 points
> Winner Pick is Finalist 3 points
> Finalist Pick is Winner 3 points

Federer d. Cilic
Kvitova d. KaPliskova

wg

Guypers

Jul 2, 2017, 4:21:17 PM7/2/17
Novak b Wawrinka
Pliskova b Konta

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 2, 2017, 4:31:11 PM7/2/17
Yes I have.
I was assuming we were talking text copy protected pdf.
If they were images that won't change a bit about what I've said : dumb move.

Just tried to c'n'p from Chrome's pdf default viewer, worked like a charm... quite not ;-)
This is what I got (OS X Mavericks, 2008 iMac) from the first line of the draw:
"0855$< $QG\*%5 >"
Selection worked as it was text, btw: double-click selected the whole "MURRAY Andy, GBR" stuff.

I don't have any other PDF viewer (appart from "preview" app from macOS), here's what I get from copy'n'paste: nothing to paste here :-)

Maria Miller

Jul 2, 2017, 5:48:26 PM7/2/17
1. Djokovic
2. Kyrgios

1. Kvitova
2. Wozniacki

M.M.

Michał Jankowski

Jul 2, 2017, 5:52:51 PM7/2/17
Federer def. Murray

Muguruza def. Kvitova

MJ

kipps

Jul 2, 2017, 8:11:50 PM7/2/17
Federer b Murray
Kvitiva b Pliskova

TennisGuy

Jul 2, 2017, 9:21:12 PM7/2/17
On 6/30/2017 6:36 AM, DavidW wrote:

Thanks again David for hosting!

First I would like to say I am absolutely thrilled that so many are
predicting ol' man Federer to win. :)
I genuinely hope you are right!

I don't want to jinx the guy so I will go against the grain and put
Murray on top.

Murray d Federer
Konta d Kerber

Court_1

Jul 3, 2017, 12:58:25 AM7/3/17
Jinx the guy? How old did you say you were? Didn't the Tooth Fairy tell you there is no such thing as jinxes?

reilloc

Jul 3, 2017, 1:54:34 AM7/3/17
Federer beats Kyrgios

Pliskova beats Kvitova

LNC

TennisGuy

Jul 3, 2017, 1:57:20 AM7/3/17
:)

Whisper

Jul 3, 2017, 7:05:38 AM7/3/17
On 3/07/2017 2:09 AM, Bharath Purohit wrote:
> *pass

Anyone who passes is assumed would get 0 anyway.

Jul 3, 2017, 7:26:55 AM7/3/17
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 5:36:54 AM UTC-5, DavidW wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The draws are out for Hops's former contest:
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=MS
> http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/draws/index.html?event=LS
>
> Same rules, predict the winner/finalist for both men and women. Scoring
> allocation:
>
> Winner Pick is Winner 6 points
> Finalist Pick is Finalist 4 points
> Winner Pick is Finalist 3 points
> Finalist Pick is Winner 3 points
>
> Picks must be from different sides of the draw. If they are from the
> same side, only the Winner pick will be allowed.
>
> If one of your picks is in danger of pulling out of the event you can
> select an alternate pick, but the alternate is only valid if the
> original pick withdraws before their first match.
>
> All entries will be listed here:
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~davidw/tennis/contest/rst_2017sp_WM.html
>
> Entries must be posted before the first ball is struck in London on Monday.
>
> Good luck.

thx again david - hope i am in time was unable to post last night

venus d pliskova

Jul 3, 2017, 7:34:56 AM7/3/17
nadal d djokovic
or nadal d monfils if djoko withdraws

Jul 3, 2017, 7:37:08 AM7/3/17
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 9:37:46 PM UTC-5, bob wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 19:24:07 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
> <olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:15:22 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:
> >> Federer d Nadal
> >> Kvitova d Pliskova
> >
> >When I say Pliskova, I mean Karloina Pliskova and not Kristyna. That seems obvious but just for the sake of clarity.
>
> so we differ wtih Nadal VS Murray in final
> Kvitova and Venus in final.
>

> venus btw, was in a car accident a few weeks ago here and was at fault
> and the other car had a person die, and another badly injured.
>
> they filed a suit a couple days ago. wonder if that will affect her.
> damn.
>
> bob

aren't kvitty and venus on the same side?

Jul 3, 2017, 7:38:02 AM7/3/17
hi wendy!! nice to see you again

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jul 3, 2017, 3:31:58 PM7/3/17