Mac downgraded Fed from GOAT to "one of the greatest players"

TT

Nov 21, 2010, 3:10:14 AM11/21/10
Though Federer has done the career slam, and has won season-ending
tournaments, his Olympic gold at the Beijing Games was from the doubles
competition as Nadal was the singles champion, and he has never come
close to lifting the Davis Cup with Switzerland. John McEnroe used to be
unequivocal about Federer, yet last week he referred to the Swiss as
only "one of the greatest players".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/8148771/ATP-World-Tour-Finals-Rafael-Nadal-can-raise-the-roof-and-end-great-debate.html

Ouch!

Fan

Nov 21, 2010, 11:11:32 AM11/21/10
On Nov 21, 9:10 am, TT <do...@email.me> wrote:
> Though Federer has done the career slam, and has won season-ending
> tournaments, his Olympic gold at the Beijing Games was from the doubles
> competition as Nadal was the singles champion, and he has never come
> close to lifting the Davis Cup with Switzerland. John McEnroe used to be
> unequivocal about Federer, yet last week he referred to the Swiss as
> only "one of the greatest players".
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/8148771/ATP-World...
>
> Ouch!

Mac is a dope head but in this case, he is right 100%

felangey

Nov 21, 2010, 11:19:01 AM11/21/10
>So, Fed's still 'fairly' good then... phewwwww!<

Meh....he gets by! ;)

uly...@mscomm.com

Nov 21, 2010, 11:22:43 AM11/21/10
Mac was prematurely ready to call Fed GOAT if Fed had won his 2006
French Open final against Rafa. Had Fed won that match, he would only
have had 7 slams at that point. In Mac's convoluted brain, 7 slams
that included a CGS was superior to Pete's 14 slams without a FO.
Crazy.

Fan

Nov 21, 2010, 11:27:40 AM11/21/10

I would also ad that he was able to win his only French, a very lucky
French only because Nadal was injured

TT

Nov 21, 2010, 11:38:04 AM11/21/10

Interesting perspective.

One could also claim, then, that he won Edberg awards because Nadal
wasn't nominated.

--
"I am no more a witch than you are a wizard, and if you take away my
life God will give you blood to drink"

only human

Nov 21, 2010, 1:09:58 PM11/21/10

Mac once again shows what a complete tool he is. Federer likes to read a
lot. he has most likely read or heard about these remarks. you guy's
overseas are lucky he has to keep his big mouth shut when he does tennis
commentary off US soil. he shows no respect to tennis fans at home when
he does it here in the US. this windbag is consistently blabbering
during match play. its really bad in the early rds of slams. he just
doesn't give a shit. its pretty much the same for all tennis
commentators here in the US. these guys think US tennis fans have a case
of ADD and need this extra shit during matches to keep people
interested. its all unfounded bullshit.

Ali Asoag

Nov 21, 2010, 4:55:49 PM11/21/10
On 11/21/2010 9:38 AM, TT wrote:
> On 21.11.2010 18:27, Fan wrote:

>>> Mac is a dope head but in this case, he is right 100%
>>
>> "his Olympic gold at the Beijing Games was from the doubles
>> competition as Nadal was the singles champion, and he has never come
>> close to lifting the Davis Cup with Switzerland"
>>
>> I would also ad that he was able to win his only French, a very lucky
>> French only because Nadal was injured
>
> Interesting perspective.

Yeah, like Nadal could win his only AO and USO because of Fed's dicline.

> One could also claim, then, that he won Edberg awards because Nadal
> wasn't nominated.

LOL, like Nadal never showed up in HC slam finals during Fed's peak.
LOLOLOL.

TT

Nov 21, 2010, 4:59:52 PM11/21/10

You lost me there.

uly...@mscomm.com

Nov 21, 2010, 5:24:30 PM11/21/10
What nonsense that Fed's FO win was "lucky" or something tainted
because Rafa already lost. Nobody cares about this in the big picture.

Does anyone know, remember or care that Lendl won the AO because
Edberg injured his back in the final and had to retire against Ivan?
No. It's just another slam for Lendl, no one mentally puts as asterisk
there and says, "Well, it's lucky or not really a slam because Stefan
would've won that had he not gotten hurt."

Sakari Lund

Nov 21, 2010, 5:35:05 PM11/21/10
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:24:30 -0800 (PST), "uly...@msomm.com"
<uly...@mscomm.com> wrote:

>What nonsense that Fed's FO win was "lucky" or something tainted
>because Rafa already lost. Nobody cares about this in the big picture.
>
>Does anyone know, remember or care that Lendl won the AO because
>Edberg injured his back in the final and had to retire against Ivan?

Whisper does.

TT

Nov 21, 2010, 5:49:20 PM11/21/10

Did Lendl lose to Edberg 4 AOs in a row before that?

MBDunc

Nov 21, 2010, 6:08:01 PM11/21/10
On 22 marras, 00:35, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:24:30 -0800 (PST), "ulys...@msomm.com"

> <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
> >What nonsense that Fed's FO win was "lucky" or something tainted
> >because Rafa already lost. Nobody cares about this in the big picture.
>
> >Does anyone know, remember or care that Lendl won the AO because
> >Edberg injured his back in the final and had to retire against Ivan?
>
> Whisper does.

...and yet they do not usually have their facts correctly. It was
abdominal muscle injury (minor tear) and injury actually happened in
the 3rd set after they had splitted first two sets. Edberg continued
playing, Lendl too all the advantage of Edberg's injury and started
use lobs more and more to make Edberg stress his injury. It worked and
Edberg then defaulted at the late 3rd set (5-2?).

Lend's strategy to play directly to Edberg's injury actually was
critisized but again may be Lendl had learned his lessons when
cramping Chang took him at at FO 89....

.mikko

Ali Asoag

Nov 21, 2010, 9:02:09 PM11/21/10
On 11/21/2010 2:59 PM, TT wrote:
> On 21.11.2010 23:55, Ali Asoag wrote:
>> On 11/21/2010 9:38 AM, TT wrote:
>>> One could also claim, then, that he won Edberg awards because Nadal
>>> wasn't nominated.
>>
>> LOL, like Nadal never showed up in HC slam finals during Fed's peak.
>> LOLOLOL.
>
> You lost me there.

Well, with an IQ like yours it's difficult, I admit.

Think hard, think harder, TT. How stupid is "someone didn't win because
he wasn't nominated"? Like "Nadal just won the Olympic Gold because Ali
Asoag didn't play"?

TT

Nov 22, 2010, 6:19:28 AM11/22/10
On 22.11.2010 4:02, Ali Asoag wrote:
> On 11/21/2010 2:59 PM, TT wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL, like Nadal never showed up in HC slam finals during Fed's peak.
>>> LOLOLOL.
>>
>> You lost me there.
>
> Well, with an IQ like yours it's difficult, I admit.

No doubt you're an expert on insufficient IQ and poor analogies.

> Think hard, think harder, TT. How stupid is "someone didn't win because
> he wasn't nominated"? Like "Nadal just won the Olympic Gold because Ali
> Asoag didn't play"?

And why would anyone expect Ali Asoag to beat Nadal?

See?

Whisper

Nov 22, 2010, 6:25:15 AM11/22/10
On 11/22/2010 10:08 AM, MBDunc wrote:
> On 22 marras, 00:35, Sakari Lund<sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:24:30 -0800 (PST), "ulys...@msomm.com"
>>
>> <ulys...@mscomm.com> wrote:
>>> What nonsense that Fed's FO win was "lucky" or something tainted
>>> because Rafa already lost. Nobody cares about this in the big picture.
>>
>>> Does anyone know, remember or care that Lendl won the AO because
>>> Edberg injured his back in the final and had to retire against Ivan?
>>
>> Whisper does.
>
> ...and yet they do not usually have their facts correctly. It was
> abdominal muscle injury (minor tear) and injury actually happened in
> the 3rd set after they had splitted first two sets.

Of course that's bullshit. I have Edberg interview saying he woulda
played on had he managed to serve out the 2nd set. He got the injuty in
the 2nd set & it caused him to drop serve when serving for 2 sets to
love lead. When it was 1 set all he realized he couldn't last the distance.

MBDunc

Nov 22, 2010, 7:32:21 AM11/22/10
On 22 marras, 13:25, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Of course that's bullshit.  I have Edberg interview saying he woulda
> played on had he managed to serve out the 2nd set.  He got the injuty in
> the 2nd set & it caused him to drop serve when serving for 2 sets to
> love lead.  When it was 1 set all he realized he couldn't last the distance.

...and yet he continued playing third set until 2-5....if he was sure
about his limited play condition (not able to finish the match) why he
kept on playing for almost whole set and risk the rest of the season.

.mikko

Whisper

Nov 22, 2010, 1:36:48 PM11/22/10
On 11/22/2010 11:32 PM, MBDunc wrote:
> On 22 marras, 13:25, Whisper<beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> Of course that's bullshit. I have Edberg interview saying he woulda
>> played on had he managed to serve out the 2nd set. He got the injuty in
>> the 2nd set& it caused him to drop serve when serving for 2 sets to

>> love lead. When it was 1 set all he realized he couldn't last the distance.
>
> ...and yet he continued playing third set until 2-5....if he was sure
> about his limited play condition (not able to finish the match) why he
> kept on playing for almost whole set and risk the rest of the season.
>
> .mikko

It was a slam final. Edberg was no quitter & realized he would let down
the whole tennis community if he pulled out. The pain got so bad he
couldn't even go through the motions.

Pity Henin didn't have this attitude when she pulled out v Mauresmo in
AO final.

Fan

Nov 22, 2010, 1:53:20 PM11/22/10

You are correct that it does make a difference in the long run. The
records will not have anything about Federer winning the 2009 French
and Wimbledon because Nadal was injured. You will not find a single
word on Nadal’s injury in connection with Federer’s records. It is not
the same as the Seles stabbing that will be forever part of Graf
legacy. It is only a something some people say on rst (including yours
truly) with all the other junk people post here. One can agree or
disagree but only the insane Federer fangs go nuts over it. It was a
stupid move for the Nadal camp to go after everything and Nadal paid
the price for it in 2009.

Ali Asoag

Nov 22, 2010, 10:16:26 PM11/22/10
On 11/22/2010 4:19 AM, TT wrote:
> On 22.11.2010 4:02, Ali Asoag wrote:

>>> You lost me there.
>>
>> Well, with an IQ like yours it's difficult, I admit.
>
> No doubt you're an expert on insufficient IQ and poor analogies.
>

>> Think hard, think harder, TT. How stupid is "someone didn't win because
>> he wasn't nominated"? Like "Nadal just won the Olympic Gold because Ali
>> Asoag didn't play"?
>
> And why would anyone expect Ali Asoag to beat Nadal?

And why would anyone expect Nadal to be nominated for the SE award or to
show up in HC slam finals before 2009?

> See?

See?

drew

Nov 23, 2010, 12:31:57 AM11/23/10
On Nov 21, 1:09 pm, surfer...@webtv.net (only human) wrote:
> Mac once again shows what a complete tool he is.\

McEnroe is a douche-bag, two-faced, big-mouthed asshole who
showed his true character on the court with his whining, swearing
and bad-mouthing of his opponents.

Now that his job is commentating he has somehow managed
to be even more offensive.

If I ever met the guy I would shake his hand and tell him to his face
that he is an asshole because it is clear that not enough people
have done this to him over the years.

Iceberg

Nov 23, 2010, 5:55:01 AM11/23/10

looks like Mac has really upset the Fedfans this time! over here in
England, he's one of the most popular commentators. Always thought he
was really good and knowledgable, plus throws in interesting ideas.

Iceberg

Nov 23, 2010, 6:01:56 AM11/23/10

where the boats are?

Iceberg

Nov 23, 2010, 6:04:09 AM11/23/10

hang on, every Fedfan out there, on here + pretty much all the ones I
know, hollered at me that Fed was GOAT when he got 5 slams. You
weren't even allowed to argue against them. Don't try to deny this.

drew

Nov 23, 2010, 10:02:23 AM11/23/10

You don't get it. It has nothing to do with his comments about
Federer. This is
just one more example of how McEnroe changes his mind constantly just
to create
artificial buzz around the game. Listen to the guy (if you can stand
it) during a match.
First of all, he never shuts up even when it is obvious he has nothing
to say. If one player
shows good form he gushes about the guy and as soon as his form drops
and the other
guy shows something he changes his tune completely and starts to slag
the guy he was
so enamoured with 15 minutes ago.

He seldom adds anything of interest to tell the viewer except to
interrupt one's enjoyment of the match.

The British commentators are much better and they know when to
shutup. If British viewers really
like McEnroe I would be surprised.

He and Carillo are the main reasons I turn the sound off during
matches so I can actually watch it
without having those clowns distracting me.

drew

Nov 23, 2010, 10:09:41 AM11/23/10

If McEnroe is around in 10 years you can be sure he'll be toasting the
flavour of the week
and roasting last years leftovers.

This GOAT business has always been garbage. When Federer was at his
very best he
was very dominant and with his beautiful game a lot of people said a
lot of crazy things.

Now with Nadal at #1 it is the same thing...a lot of premature
celebration. Long live the king and
so forth. Next year if he stalls out or gets injured he'll be
yesterday's man....again. We all know
how it works.

Patrick Kehoe

Nov 23, 2010, 11:26:02 AM11/23/10

THAT'S EXACTLY why I have always said there is no GOAT... the best of
all time is NOT A PERSON IN REALITY... it is a debating point... you
don't EMBODY the greatest mantle OUT OF TIME... and as time moves the
course of progression/regression/progression along sporting systems
redefine/refine themselves and the participants embody different and
often more exploitive elements to their games/skill sets... in 30
years Fed and Rafa WILL look dated as Lendl and Mac and Borg look now
in their lower speed, moderate coverage play, wood/new to metal era...
it's just the way of all things professionally paticipatory and driven
by global/economic development...