Has no-one commented on the fact that Muster has made a return to the tour?

Professor X

Oct 26, 2010, 2:24:17 PM10/26/10

TT

Oct 26, 2010, 2:28:08 PM10/26/10
Professor X wrote:
> Quite interesting
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9129601.stm

Yup, and I just mentioned it above...

Interesting from the article:

"The result means that Jimmy Connors remains the oldest player to win a
match on the ATP Tour by reaching the quarter-finals in Halle, Germany,
in 1995 at age 42."

...So if Muster wins even a single match on ATP Tour level he's making a
new age record!

drew

Oct 26, 2010, 2:31:41 PM10/26/10
On Oct 26, 2:24 pm, Professor X <sueboka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Quite interesting
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9129601.stm

He's planning to play more events....a real comeback. :-)

On a similar note, Philipoussis is planning another comeback. I
wonder who's comeback will last longer.

These guys must be either bored or broke or perhaps both.

Yama

Oct 26, 2010, 3:44:06 PM10/26/10
Professor X <suebo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Quite interesting

Yep, several times...

Here's a short piece of the match (end of the tiebreak)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVyEesJz_Lk

Muster's forehand still looks pretty good, backhand not so much...

MBDunc

Oct 26, 2010, 3:56:40 PM10/26/10

That must mean 1990->.

As Rosewall won tournaments at age of 43. Same for Gonzales.

Sedgman won 1r match at AO at age of 49 (1976).

And I am pretty sure Pancho Secura was over 50 when he won some
matches 1971-72 but records are bit hazy...

.mikko

jdeluise

Oct 26, 2010, 3:59:09 PM10/26/10

On 26-Oct-2010, Professor X <suebo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Quite interesting
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9129601.stm

I haven't been able to watch either of his recent matches, but this is
really exciting to me as I was a big fan when he was dominating clay courts
in the 90s. Of course I don't think he'll last long on the tour given his
age and playing style.....

Carey

Oct 27, 2010, 1:14:35 AM10/27/10

I loved watching Muster on clay also- especially when he was
thrashing
pretty-boy Agassi. :)

Connors (of all people) paid Muster a very big compliment when he said
"the guy's a goddamn Marine.. ".

drew

Oct 27, 2010, 10:35:43 AM10/27/10
On Oct 26, 3:56 pm, MBDunc <micha...@mail.suomi.net> wrote:

> > "The result means that Jimmy Connors remains the oldest player to win a
> > match on the ATP Tour by reaching the quarter-finals in Halle, Germany,
> > in 1995 at age 42."
>
> > ...So if Muster wins even a single match on ATP Tour level he's making a
> > new age record!
>
> That must mean 1990->.
>
> As Rosewall won tournaments at age of 43. Same for Gonzales.
>
> Sedgman won 1r match at AO at age of 49 (1976).
>
> And I am pretty sure Pancho Secura was over 50 when he won some
> matches 1971-72 but records are bit hazy...

It does illustrate the difference between tennis as it is played now
compared to the 60s and early 70s.

I'm sure that the top players could still win a few matches as Connors
did in his early 40s if they would
continue to play on the tour throughout their 30s. If Muster for
example had remained on the tour and not
retired he'd be a lot sharper and fitter. Clearly he wouldn't be
winning ATP events but there's no reason he
couldn't keep a ranking around 150 if his body held together so that
he could play enough.

Connors paid a price for his longevity on the tour. He had to get a
hip replacement in his early 50s.
Almost certainly caused by too much tennis for too many years. Not
that a hip replacement is such
a devastating surgery...but it does limit one's options. If he
remains active he'll probably have to get it replaced
again in another 10 years or so. And sometimes the hip gets infected,
prosthesis gets loose, all sorts of annoying
problems with appliances.