(OT) Shouldn't someone have warned him about body language?

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 6:36:30 AM8/9/17
Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.

The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
that posture.

<https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=folded+arms+Barack+Obama&fr=altavista&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwhitehouse.gov1.info%2Fphotos%2Fobama-arm-crossed.jpg#id=5&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbestdelegate.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fobama-crossed-arms.jpg&action=click>

---

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 7:27:30 AM8/9/17
On 09/08/2017 11:36, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>
> The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
> that posture.
>

> <https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=folded+arms+Barack+Obama&fr=altavista&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwhitehouse.gov1.info%2Fphotos%2Fobama-arm-crossed.jpg#id=5&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbestdelegate.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fobama-crossed-arms.jpg&action=click>

And what about the words?

"Q Any comment on the reports about North Korea's nuclear capabilities?

THE PRESIDENT: North Korea best not make any more threats to the United
States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never
seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state. And as I
said, they will be met with fire, fury, and, frankly, power, the
likes of which this world has never seen before."

'Like the world has never seen' - so bigger than
Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Dresden/the Blitz then?

*skriptis

Aug 9, 2017, 7:51:03 AM8/9/17
Koreans understand/like that kind of language. Have you ever seen their
propaganda? You have to be an idiot to adress them in a PC, PR way.
Kim will certainly pay attention to fire, fury etc.

Trump is so much smarter than his detractors that it's not even funny at
this stage, it was funny last year, during the campagn, etc, but now his
haters have simply become dull.

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 9, 2017, 7:55:41 AM8/9/17
"Fire, fury, and, frankly, ... power". I like that.

It's almost like "fire, fury, and, frankly ... nothingburgers".

Gerrit 't Hart

Aug 9, 2017, 8:01:00 AM8/9/17
What would you expect the USA to do if North Korea devastated Guam with
a nuclear warhead?

joh

Aug 9, 2017, 8:20:17 AM8/9/17
Op woensdag 9 augustus 2017 13:27:30 UTC+2 schreef Brian W Lawrence:
*cough* inauguration crowd *cough*

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 8:36:03 AM8/9/17
On 09/08/2017 12:41, *skriptis wrote:
> Brian W Lawrence wrote:
>> On 09/08/2017 11:36, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
>>> Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>>>
>>> The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
>>> that posture.
>>>

>>> <https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=folded+arms+Barack+Obama&fr=altavista&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwhitehouse.gov1.info%2Fphotos%2Fobama-arm-crossed.jpg#id=5&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbestdelegate.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fobama-crossed-arms.jpg&action=click>
>>
>> And what about the words?
>>
>> "Q Any comment on the reports about North Korea's nuclear
>> capabilities?
>> THE PRESIDENT: North Korea best not make any more threats to the
>> United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world
>> has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state. And
>> as I said, they will be met with fire, fury, and, frankly, power,
>> the likes of which this world has never seen before."
>>
>> 'Like the world has never seen' - so bigger than
>> Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Dresden/the Blitz then?
>

> Koreans understand/like that kind of language. Have you ever seen their
> propaganda? You have to be an idiot to adress them in a PC, PR way.
> Kim will certainly pay attention to fire, fury etc.

But he already knows that if he pushes the US too far he risks his whole
country being wiped out. It's only a question of how far he wants to push.

> Trump is so much smarter than his detractors that it's not even funny at
> this stage, it was funny last year, during the campagn, etc, but now his
> haters have simply become dull.

Trump smart? He's just the 'fake president'.

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 8:42:25 AM8/9/17
Well the President was warning PRK against 'make any more threats to the
US', rather than an actual nuclear attack, which is hopefully a remote
possibility. Kim surely knows his country could not survive if the US
responded to such an attack, so he continues to rattle his sabre just
enough to provoke.

The Iceberg

Aug 9, 2017, 9:57:36 AM8/9/17
If you're nervous or over the top hysterical type, the type of which was stupid enough to be absolutely terrified of nuclear war in the 80's, then yeah oh worse than Nagasaki etc ohhh play the hysterics.

The Iceberg

Aug 9, 2017, 9:59:49 AM8/9/17
It a shame they still full of sour grapes! Still can't get over he won! Yet they offer nothing as an alternative, except Hillary.

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 10:01:38 AM8/9/17
On 09/08/2017 14:57, The Iceberg wrote:

> If you're nervous or over the top hysterical type, the type of which was stupid enough to be absolutely terrified of nuclear war in the 80's, then yeah oh worse than Nagasaki etc ohhh play the hysterics.

I was pointing out the hyperbole.

The Iceberg

Aug 9, 2017, 10:01:47 AM8/9/17
Trump is the 100% REAL President, he WON the election! unlike that Hillary that you supported!

The Iceberg

Aug 9, 2017, 10:02:35 AM8/9/17
Oh cool!

TT

Aug 9, 2017, 10:42:28 AM8/9/17
Brian W Lawrence kirjoitti 9.8.2017 klo 13:36:
> Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>
> The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
> that posture.
>

> <https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=folded+arms+Barack+Obama&fr=altavista&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwhitehouse.gov1.info%2Fphotos%2Fobama-arm-crossed.jpg#id=5&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbestdelegate.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fobama-crossed-arms.jpg&action=click>

Obama was the 2nd best ever African American US president, after Freeman.

reilloc

Aug 9, 2017, 10:43:25 AM8/9/17
On 8/9/2017 5:36 AM, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>
> The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
> that posture.

I'm not trying to defend the guy but I'm missing your point. You wanted
him to "say it like he meant it," i.e., declare war? You want blood, in
no uncertain terms?

LNC

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 11:01:43 AM8/9/17
I'm suggesting that he was sending an unconscious signal that he wasn't
comfortable with what he was saying. Judging by Tillerson's comments in
Guam today, he was, perhaps, saying what he was advised to say, but he
was reluctant. He seemed to be checking an iPad during his brief
comments.

Initially I would have preferred him to have not said anything, but it
seems that it was designed to 'send a signal' to both the PRK & China,
which might be a good move.

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 11:02:29 AM8/9/17
On 09/08/2017 15:01, The Iceberg wrote:

> Trump is the 100% REAL President, he WON the election! unlike that Hillary that you supported!

No, he's just a fake, who doesn't do anything useful.

*skriptis

Aug 9, 2017, 11:24:07 AM8/9/17
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
> On 09/08/2017 12:41, *skriptis wrote:
>> Brian W Lawrence wrote:

>>> And what about the words?
>>>
>>> "Q Any comment on the reports about North Korea's nuclear
>>> capabilities?
>>> THE PRESIDENT: North Korea best not make any more threats to the
>>> United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world
>>> has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state. And
>>> as I said, they will be met with fire, fury, and, frankly, power,
>>> the likes of which this world has never seen before."
>>>
>>> 'Like the world has never seen' - so bigger than
>>> Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Dresden/the Blitz then?
>>

>> Koreans understand/like that kind of language. Have you ever seen their
>> propaganda? You have to be an idiot to adress them in a PC, PR way.
>> Kim will certainly pay attention to fire, fury etc.
>
> But he already knows that if he pushes the US too far he risks his whole
> country being wiped out. It's only a question of how far he wants to push.

Exactly.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

reilloc

Aug 9, 2017, 11:43:21 AM8/9/17
On 8/9/2017 10:01 AM, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> On 09/08/2017 15:43, reilloc wrote:
>> On 8/9/2017 5:36 AM, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
>>> Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>>>
>>> The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
>>> that posture.
>>>

>> I'm not trying to defend the guy but I'm missing your point. You
>> wanted him to "say it like he meant it," i.e., declare war? You want
>> blood, in no uncertain terms?
>
> I'm suggesting that he was sending an unconscious signal that he wasn't
> comfortable with what he was saying. Judging by Tillerson's comments in
> Guam today, he was, perhaps, saying what he was advised to say, but he
> was reluctant. He seemed to be checking an iPad during his brief
> comments.

Yeah, I got that but you're coming off looking like you're making up
shit just to complain about it. That's bad juju for those of us who have
legit complaints. Would you not feel defensive, nervous and uncertain
speaking to the world press and threatening to be the guy responsible
for tens of thousands of deaths?

> Initially I would have preferred him to have not said anything, but it
> seems that it was designed to 'send a signal' to both the PRK & China,
> which might be a good move.

These new boys aren't big on policy unless it comes to something
ideological--which the worst way to make policy. You give them a
situation where they're in charge and some guy in a neighborhood's found
a gun and wants to practice with it in his backyard and all they can do
is sputter vague threats. Just tell the guy that his backyard isn't out
in the street and if a bullet winds up there you're going to take his
gun away even if you get hurt doing it. Nobody fights and doesn't know
he's going to get hit and nobody threatens to fight believing he's not
going to get hit.

LNC

The Iceberg

Aug 9, 2017, 12:00:31 PM8/9/17
He's far better than Hillary would ever have been and seems to be doing a lot more than Obama did.

Brian W Lawrence

Aug 9, 2017, 12:55:35 PM8/9/17
I wrote:

Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.

The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
that posture.

I didn't make up anything in those two sentences. Obviously I didn't
have to post at all, but my first thought was that it was negative
body language.

Apparently it has been confirmed that he took advice from his close
associates before speaking.

bob

Aug 9, 2017, 6:22:44 PM8/9/17
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:36:26 +0100, Brian W Lawrence
<brian_w_...@msn.com> wrote:

>Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>
>The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
>that posture.

as opposed to obama's "line in the sand"?

anyway, trump should let them all think he's a little bit crazy and
liable to do anything.

bob

*skriptis

Aug 9, 2017, 6:33:00 PM8/9/17
bob <b...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
Mentioning how America won't tolerate Korean threats any more, and
then threatening wirh fire, fury, using their propaganda language
was marvelous.

It surely resonates with Kim much better than some silly lecture
how "nuclear threat is unacceptable to international community"
when the truth is, interventional community doesn't give a shit
and Koreans know it.

China, Russia, Pakistan, India, Iran, France, Italy, all would be
within the reach of Korean missiles, but none giving a shit.

bob

Aug 9, 2017, 6:51:55 PM8/9/17
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 00:32:59 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
<skri...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:

>bob <b...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:36:26 +0100, Brian W Lawrence
>> <brian_w_...@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Making a statement with arms folded says so much more than the words.
>>>
>>>The words, defensive, nervous, uncertain, are often used to describe
>>>that posture.
>>
>> as opposed to obama's "line in the sand"?
>>
>> anyway, trump should let them all think he's a little bit crazy and
>> liable to do anything.
>

>Mentioning how America won't tolerate Korean threats any more, and
> then threatening wirh fire, fury, using their propaganda language
> was marvelous.
>
>It surely resonates with Kim much better than some silly lecture
> how "nuclear threat is unacceptable to international community"
> when the truth is, interventional community doesn't give a shit
> and Koreans know it.

they outghta show trump doing something a little crazy, a little
unpredictable, or like leaning up against a wall in a room with the
"nuke button" there, etc.

>China, Russia, Pakistan, India, Iran, France, Italy, all would be
> within the reach of Korean missiles, but none giving a shit.

bob

TT

Aug 9, 2017, 7:23:33 PM8/9/17
bob kirjoitti 10.8.2017 klo 1:51:
> they outghta show trump doing something a little crazy, a little
> unpredictable, or like leaning up against a wall in a room with the
> "nuke button" there, etc.

The problem is... that may not be the best tactic with North Korea...

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 10, 2017, 7:46:32 AM8/10/17
I'm not sure "unpredictability" is a viable tactic in international
politics. You have to have credibility too.

So far, Trump has threatened the Congress, the Chinese, Mueller,
Europeans with red lines, steel tariffs, currency manipulating charges
and what not. And Paper Tigered out of every single one.

Now he's setting up a red line on ... talk. "There will be fire, fury,
or, frankly, nothingburgers if you badmouth us again". Let's see how
this Paper Tigers along.

TT

Aug 10, 2017, 9:48:18 AM8/10/17
Pelle Svanslös kirjoitti 10.8.2017 klo 14:46:
> I'm not sure "unpredictability" is a viable tactic in international
> politics.

And especially when it comes to talks about nuclear weapons. First
strike should be always off the table... even more so with easily
provoked nuts.

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 10, 2017, 9:58:26 AM8/10/17
Of course, for bob, being nuts is now kosher. Just because Trump happens
to be nuts.

Fanbois ...

bob

Aug 10, 2017, 7:44:33 PM8/10/17
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:58:25 +0300, Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los>
wrote:
act nuts; don't be nuts.

bob

The Iceberg

Aug 11, 2017, 2:40:07 AM8/11/17
Hillary wasn't nuts?!

Pelle Svanslös

Aug 11, 2017, 3:38:59 AM8/11/17
In Trump's case, that's semantics. Read some of his interviews.