Andy Murray plans to donate any money he wins at Queen's ...

Brian W Lawrence

Jun 20, 2017, 4:22:15 AM6/20/17
to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.

<https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>

The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.

---
http://www.avg.com

The Iceberg

Jun 20, 2017, 5:16:26 AM6/20/17
Coool!

*skriptis

Jun 20, 2017, 8:01:02 AM6/20/17
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
What if he loses early? It's actually quite arrogant from him.
Murray was never like this before.

Must be Lendl influence.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian W Lawrence

Jun 20, 2017, 10:22:27 AM6/20/17
On 20/06/2017 12:52, *skriptis wrote:

> Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
>> to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.
>>

>> <https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>
>>
>> The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.

> What if he loses early?

His donation is smaller. His donation of itself isn't that significant,
it's a welcome gesture, which is matched by many others, including
several other sports stars.

"The world No1 joins the Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin, who said on
Saturday that he would give £50 to the fund for every minute he plays at
the European Under-21 Championship in Poland. If Spain, the tournament
favourites, reach the final, they will have played five matches and
Bellerin’s contribution could be as high as £22,500.

"The Manchester City midfielder Raheem Sterling has also promised to
give 'a substantial sum'.

"Ascot Racecourse is also making a donation of £100,000 to The British
Red Cross UK Solidarity and London Fire Relief Funds and Local
Charities, to support those affected."

> It's actually quite arrogant from him.

I'm sure he doesn't assume he will win, rather he is confident of doing
well. A certain amount of confidence, and possibly even arrogance is
often helpful in sport.

> Murray was never like this before.
> Must be Lendl influence.

---

SliceAndDice

Jun 20, 2017, 12:24:41 PM6/20/17
A nicer gesture would have been to donate last year's earnings as he actually won Queen's then :) I agree, this is a bit gimmicky, kind of like Serena's 50 dollars per ace she hit for was it Haiti? I do not remember.

Brian W Lawrence

Jun 20, 2017, 1:07:18 PM6/20/17
On 20/06/2017 09:22, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.
>

> <https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>
>

> The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.

That went well :-)

---

arahim

Jun 20, 2017, 1:10:18 PM6/20/17
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 5:01:02 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:
> Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
> > to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.
> >

> > <https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>
> >
> > The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.
> >
> > ---
> > http://www.avg.com
> >

> What if he loses early? It's actually quite arrogant from him.
> Murray was never like this before.

This could be a motivating factor for him to do well than to show arrogance. If he loses early there is nothing stopping him from making further contributions.

Brian W Lawrence

Jun 20, 2017, 1:24:49 PM6/20/17
On 20/06/2017 18:07, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> On 20/06/2017 09:22, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
>> to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.
>>

>> <https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>
>>

>> The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.
>
> That went well :-)

Are there any seeds left?

Mind you playing in 30-degrees takes a lot of energy, better to save
it for July 2.

PeteWasLucky

Jun 20, 2017, 1:35:40 PM6/20/17
> to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire

Too big of a donation :)

*skriptis

Jun 20, 2017, 2:01:02 PM6/20/17
arahim <arahim...@hotmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 5:01:02 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:
>> Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
>> > to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.
>> >

>> > <https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>
>> >
>> > The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.
>> >
>> > ---
>> > http://www.avg.com
>> >

>> What if he loses early? It's actually quite arrogant from him.
>> Murray was never like this before.
>>

> This could be a motivating factor for him to do well than to show arrogance. If he loses early there is nothing stopping him from making further contributions.

So it's about him, using misery of the few dozen dead people and
their families to motivate himself for a tuneup?

That's gross.

I don't think he's like that.

*skriptis

Jun 20, 2017, 2:01:02 PM6/20/17
SliceAndDice <vish...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
Yeah, exactly. It's as if they're telling "hey you unfortunate
ones, who lost your family members or had limbs amputated, you
better support me while I play and earn millions, so if I get
some success I'll share with you".

Nor blaming Murray here, many other athletes do it. Most
importantly general public seems to appreciate and even
encourages stuff like these.

I guess it's the modern, subversive world we live in. I blame
Woodstock.

But it's not as if can't you just donate a million, like e.g.
Sandra Bullock did for Tsunami victims in 2004.

Gracchus

Jun 20, 2017, 2:32:01 PM6/20/17
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 11:01:02 AM UTC-7, *skriptis wrote:
> SliceAndDice <vish...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

> > A nicer gesture would have been to donate last year's earnings as he actually won Queen's then :) I agree, this is a bit gimmicky, kind of like Serena's 50 dollars per ace she hit for was it Haiti? I do not remember.

> Yeah, exactly. It's as if they're telling "hey you unfortunate
> ones, who lost your family members or had limbs amputated, you
> better support me while I play and earn millions, so if I get
> some success I'll share with you".

> Nor blaming Murray here, many other athletes do it. Most
> importantly general public seems to appreciate and even
> encourages stuff like these.

> I guess it's the modern, subversive world we live in. I blame
> Woodstock.

It's just another type of pandering, which Murray does all the time. The guy has a deep need for head-pats and doggie biscuits.

*skriptis

Jun 20, 2017, 4:01:02 PM6/20/17
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
> to the survivors of the Grenfell tower fire.
>

> <https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/andy-murray-plans-donate-queen-213000011.html>
>
> The tournament winner will receive ~£346,000.

Thompson-Murray
76 62

SliceAndDice

Jun 20, 2017, 5:07:58 PM6/20/17
Hope he does not decide to donate his Round 1 earnings now LOL. That would be plain embarrassing.

The Iceberg

Jun 21, 2017, 3:38:25 AM6/21/17
It's prob still 10grand or something.