Davis Cup down in the zones

number_six

Jul 8, 2011, 12:28:58 PM7/8/11
Of course the 2011 quarterfinals are starting today, but there's also
some interesting action in Group I and Group II.

The Swiss are up 1-0 on Portugal with Federer taking the court against
Machado

Australia - PRC are 1-1 with Tomic and Wu winning, Hewitt only slated
for the doubles

Canada obviously are without Raonic against Ecuador

Netherlands vs RSA -- Orange should win unless overcome by Boer-dom

Britain against Lux to claw their way out of Group II

Ted S.

Jul 8, 2011, 3:57:52 PM7/8/11
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:28:58 -0700 (PDT), number_six wrote:

> Netherlands vs RSA -- Orange should win unless overcome by Boer-dom

Why would you say that? South Africa have Kevin Anderson.

It's currently 1-1, and the last three matches could go either way, I'd
think.

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com

number_six

Jul 8, 2011, 4:51:23 PM7/8/11

Unable to resist the cheap joke, I overreached, thinking Potchefstroom
had to be in the [Orange] Free State. Alas, it is not.

Katya

Jul 8, 2011, 7:39:38 PM7/8/11

The surface in Bern looked slower than Miami and weird, high bouncing.
Machado swang freely every other ball and Fed had a 'walkabout and
shank' first two sets. In the third set Machado had 6 bp (3 on a 0-40)
and Fed only one bp. Even when Rog served for the match, Machado had a
bp. Plenty of winners and UEs on both sides.

Fed providing the circus on the streets of Bern here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b490-qI96U&feature=player_embedded

number_six

Jul 10, 2011, 8:05:38 PM7/10/11

So, Anderson won all three of his matches and RSA prevailed.

But to my chagrin, all of the action took place North of the Vaal
River. :-P