I was the first to call it..

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 3:37:00 PM7/10/17
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.tennis/Muller$20dark$20horse%7Csort:date/rec.sport.tennis/evU3ICyGxaQ/n9AOYsWQAQAJ

Gilles Muller is in scintillating grasscourt form this year, winning s'Hertogenbosch and now in the semis of Queens. Definitely a dark horse.

Whisper's response:

Probably lose 1st rd Wimbledon.

Remember Zverev was in scintillating clay form but lost 1st rd FO.

It is now between Federer, Djoker and Cilic in my eyes. Muller might not have much left in the tank.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 10, 2017, 3:39:37 PM7/10/17
> It is now between Federer, Djoker and Cilic in my eyes. Muller might not have much left in the tank.

I don't know if you called it, but I also mentioned Muller and Cilic as very dangerous and I won't be surprised if Cilic wins it.

Muller is useless now.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 10, 2017, 3:40:41 PM7/10/17
Yes good call.

RaspingDrive

Jul 10, 2017, 3:40:59 PM7/10/17
Federer has to get through Raonic first.

PeteWasLucky

Jul 10, 2017, 3:42:25 PM7/10/17
Roanic and Djokovic.

RaspingDrive

Jul 10, 2017, 3:42:37 PM7/10/17
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:37:00 PM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.tennis/Muller$20dark$20horse%7Csort:date/rec.sport.tennis/evU3ICyGxaQ/n9AOYsWQAQAJ
>
> Gilles Muller is in scintillating grasscourt form this year, winning s'Hertogenbosch and now in the semis of Queens. Definitely a dark horse.

Running his life number year. Very significant, that!

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 3:43:21 PM7/10/17
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:39:37 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > It is now between Federer, Djoker and Cilic in my eyes. Muller might not have much left in the tank.
>

> I don't know if you called it,

You might have said it earlier (I did not read it), but I did see Muller as a dark horse and was pooh poohed.

> but I also mentioned Muller and Cilic as very dangerous and I won't be surprised if Cilic wins it.
> Muller is useless now.

I wouldn't be either. I see Cilic at least getting to the final. Murray not been that impressive.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 3:46:42 PM7/10/17
Agree, but Fed is playing better than last year and Raonic worse. Fed is also better rested.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 3:50:33 PM7/10/17
But anyone with a serve like Raonic cannot be discounted. Just ask Nadal..

What Fed has in his favor is that he is a better returner on grass than Nadal (and a superior server too).

John Liang

Jul 10, 2017, 5:34:54 PM7/10/17
A bit more than just that Fed is also a better vollyer, more varied game, as of now he is also more aggressive than Nadal.

kaennorsing

Jul 10, 2017, 6:09:59 PM7/10/17
Op maandag 10 juli 2017 21:37:00 UTC+2 schreef SliceAndDice:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.tennis/Muller$20dark$20horse%7Csort:date/rec.sport.tennis/evU3ICyGxaQ/n9AOYsWQAQAJ
>
> Gilles Muller is in scintillating grasscourt form this year, winning s'Hertogenbosch and now in the semis of Queens. Definitely a dark horse.

Nice call, Shakes! :))

2nd time Muller beats Rafa at Wimbledon. Shouldn't have been so improbable, in hindsight. He really didn't allow Rafa to play his game, totally rattled him.

> It is now between Federer, Djoker and Cilic in my eyes. Muller might not have much left in the tank.

No doubt, I was a bit worried Fed's form didn't appear to be there but his drive backhand and return are coming back to where he's virtually unstoppable. His slice is not up to par yet, but yes, Fed is still the favorite. However, his draw is definitely the toughest. Raonic up next, who he lost to last year. Then Djoker who he's lost the last 2 finals to... Then the final.

A final a 2-time champion could well sneak into entirely under the radar, with his cakewalk draw and 'injury' problems.

The Iceberg

Jul 10, 2017, 6:42:04 PM7/10/17
On Monday, 10 July 2017 20:43:21 UTC+1, SliceAndDice wrote:
> On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:39:37 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > > It is now between Federer, Djoker and Cilic in my eyes. Muller might not have much left in the tank.
> >

> > I don't know if you called it,
>
> You might have said it earlier (I did not read it), but I did see Muller as a dark horse and was pooh poohed.

that's cos he wasn't a dark horse and has no chance whatsoever, he's the type that plays beyond his physical limits just cos he's playing Nadal, yet anyone else he won't even bother.

Gracchus

Jul 10, 2017, 6:46:13 PM7/10/17
Why? Because all the other players hate Nadal so much? If he won all the sportsmanship awards like Federer, he wouldn't have that problem.

kaennorsing

Jul 10, 2017, 6:55:32 PM7/10/17
Op dinsdag 11 juli 2017 00:09:59 UTC+2 schreef kaennorsing:
> Op maandag 10 juli 2017 21:37:00 UTC+2 schreef SliceAndDice:
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.tennis/Muller$20dark$20horse%7Csort:date/rec.sport.tennis/evU3ICyGxaQ/n9AOYsWQAQAJ
> >
> > Gilles Muller is in scintillating grasscourt form this year, winning s'Hertogenbosch and now in the semis of Queens. Definitely a dark horse.
>
> Nice call, Shakes! :))

I mean SliceAndDice :))

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 6:59:16 PM7/10/17
Cilic is in murderous form, and Querrey has impressed me as well. But Murray is probably the worst matchup of the big 4 for a big server.

SliceAndDice

Jul 10, 2017, 7:00:08 PM7/10/17
I was going to ask :))

ahonkan

Jul 11, 2017, 12:06:04 AM7/11/17
I too mentioned Muller & Feli as dark horses. Injury took care of Feli.

ahonkan

Jul 11, 2017, 12:13:43 AM7/11/17
On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 09:36:04 UTC+5:30, ahonkan wrote:

> I too mentioned Muller & Feli as dark horses. Injury took care of Feli.

Correction. I only listed Feli since Slice&Dice already mentioned Muller.

The Iceberg

Jul 11, 2017, 3:24:53 AM7/11/17
my guess is cos they are all hugely look up to Fed and admire him and as you say vote for him in the awards and so want revenge on Nadal to teach him a lesson - journeymen simply don't get this motivated otherwise. Darcis nearly broke his arm that time he played Nadal, yet usually retires after 10mins. Like I said they never play like this otherwise. Glad you recognise it at least.