Gutless USTA

pltr...@xhost.org

Aug 25, 2011, 4:46:13 PM8/25/11
If there was ever a case where a player should be seeded much higher than
his/her ranking, it's Serena this year. But the USTA -- following in the wimpy
footsteps of Wimbledon, as usual -- chose to bury its collective head in the
sand and leave her at 28.

With this example, the ITF and both tours should delete the authority of the
Slams to deviate at all from the rankiings. If you don't do it here, you should
never be permitted do it in any case.

The USTA never fails to disappoint and disgust me.

-- Larry (not a Serena fan but even less a fan of absolute stupidity)

jdeluise

Aug 25, 2011, 4:48:30 PM8/25/11

On 25-Aug-2011, pltr...@xhost.org wrote:

> If there was ever a case where a player should be seeded much higher than
> his/her ranking, it's Serena this year. But the USTA -- following in the
> wimpy
> footsteps of Wimbledon, as usual -- chose to bury its collective head in
> the
> sand and leave her at 28.

Out of curiosity, what would you recommend her to be seeded?

Superdave

Aug 25, 2011, 7:23:22 PM8/25/11

69

DavidW

Aug 25, 2011, 9:32:06 PM8/25/11
pltr...@xhost.org wrote:
> If there was ever a case where a player should be seeded much higher
> than his/her ranking, it's Serena this year. But the USTA --
> following in the wimpy footsteps of Wimbledon, as usual -- chose to
> bury its collective head in the sand and leave her at 28.

I thought Wimbledon was the one slam that has been willing to deviate from the
rankings in its seedings, though I don't think they've done it for quite a
while.

pltr...@xhost.org

Aug 25, 2011, 11:09:25 PM8/25/11

Top 5, certainly. With Clijsters out, I'd probably put her #3.

-- Larry

Ted S.

Aug 25, 2011, 10:58:11 PM8/25/11
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:46:13 -0400, pltr...@xhost.org wrote:

> But the USTA -- following in the wimpy
> footsteps of Wimbledon, as usual -- chose to bury its collective head in the
> sand and leave her at 28.

Actually, Wimbledon *did* seed Serena and Venus up this year.

And if USTA weren't wimps they would have disqualified Serena from this
year's US Open for her threats on the line judge (since she missed last
year's tournmaent with an injury).

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com

Pedro Dias

Aug 27, 2011, 9:46:34 PM8/27/11

Agreed. And it should be pointed out that the underseeding doesn't
hinder Serena nearly as much as it does the women who have to face her
much earlier than they should. It's not a matter of being fair to
Serena: it's a matter of being fair to everyone else.

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Aug 29, 2011, 8:34:55 AM8/29/11
In article
<ada4f359-c215-4703...@k15g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
pedr...@snip.net (Pedro Dias) wrote:

In this case, the most likely sufferer is Azarenka.

wg

pltr...@xhost.org

Aug 29, 2011, 10:34:26 PM8/29/11
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:34:55 -0500, wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

>In this case, the most likely sufferer is Azarenka.

Almost certainly.

-- Larry