observations from the usta seniors

larry

Jan 29, 2014, 12:47:42 PM1/29/14
I just returned from the USTA Seniors Tournament at Missions Hills
(Palm Springs), CA.

It was interesting to discern the primary difference between the top
players and the others. First, Seniors DO NOT play driving
groundstrokes like the tennis we see on TV. The best senior players
take MOST balls out of the air, no bounce! After the service return,
they only volley! They volley from everywhere, not just up near the
net. They REFUSE to be driven back behind the baseline with high
bouncing balls. Forget that, CUT IT OFF!

So I am changing my tennis game accordingly. I will work to become
comfortable with mostly backhand volleys from all over the court.

AND, I will work to incorporate more wrist SNAP in my serve. I never
want to give an opponent an approach shot with my serve!

Larry

---

pltrgyst

Jan 30, 2014, 12:27:35 PM1/30/14
On 1/29/14, 12:47 PM, larry wrote:
> I just returned from the USTA Seniors Tournament at Missions Hills
> (Palm Springs), CA.

Was this the Asics category 2 tournament at Rancho Mirage and the
surrounding clubs?

> It was interesting to discern the primary difference between the top
> players and the others. First, Seniors DO NOT play driving
> groundstrokes like the tennis we see on TV. The best senior players
> take MOST balls out of the air, no bounce! After the service return,
> they only volley! They volley from everywhere, not just up near the
> net. They REFUSE to be driven back behind the baseline with high
> bouncing balls. Forget that, CUT IT OFF!

First, I don't think most of the top national players were there. and
you probably need to distinguish between the lower ages, like the 50's,
and the upper ages, like the 90's, where mobility is a real problem. The
top national players that I see, even in the Super Seniors, like Jimmy
Parker and Fred Drilling, play all-court games.

> So I am changing my tennis game accordingly. I will work to become
> comfortable with mostly backhand volleys from all over the court.

Ah. How old are you? I'm 67. I'd love to drive topspin balls at your
feet and watch you try to half-volley all day. 8;)

> AND, I will work to incorporate more wrist SNAP in my serve. I never
> want to give an opponent an approach shot with my serve!

That's a very good goal.

It would be great if you went back there for the husband-wife senior and
super-senior tournament in early March and reported!

-- Larry

larry

Jan 30, 2014, 2:14:14 PM1/30/14
Actually, I am practicing the appropriate defense for that-- which is
to volley the ball as low as a few inches, not short-hops. I set the
machine to throw normal ground strokes that would land outside the
service line, and then from the baseline step up and volley those
balls on the fly. That changes everything if the ball goes over the
net and remains low. It is about the timing and that suddenly
reverses the pressure.

I'm 72.

You are correct about the Mission Hills tournament I played in and am
watching for the final results.

I suspect Johnson or Metalsky would give Parker or Drilling a real
match. Both are lifelong tennis coaches in top physical condition.

PeteWasLucky

Jan 30, 2014, 6:32:57 PM1/30/14
good for you guys

larry

Jan 30, 2014, 6:44:40 PM1/30/14
Update: Now the 70s final is Johnson and Metalsky, final match 11AM
tomorrow. I would love to watch it. Would be great if someone were
getting it on video-- ??

You can google these two and see their long history of USTA tennis.
Both have been tennis coaches, tennis instructors, classroom teachers.
Metalsky retired as a High School teacher in Orange County, CA. I
think Johnson has a similar history in Albuquerque, NM.

pltrgyst

Jan 30, 2014, 11:55:09 PM1/30/14
On 1/30/14, 6:44 PM, larry wrote:

> Both have been tennis coaches, tennis instructors, classroom teachers.
> Metalsky retired as a High School teacher in Orange County, CA. I
> think Johnson has a similar history in Albuquerque, NM.

I think for Metalsky, the terminology might better be "was retired,"
given his legal problems on the job. 8;) Though I never did read the
final resolution of the charges against him...

-- Larry

larry

Jan 31, 2014, 3:21:26 PM1/31/14
I read that he was on probation for a few years-- but nothing more
serious because the girl's parents declined to press charges.