OT: RST's favorite classic love songs...

Sawfish

Jan 31, 2019, 11:47:03 AM1/31/19
We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while
listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for
us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.

So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:

* Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
* The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
* Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
* Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)

Your turn!!!

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. But give a man a boat,
a case of beer, and a few sticks of dynamite..." -- Sawfish

soccerfan777

Jan 31, 2019, 1:02:43 PM1/31/19
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 10:47:03 AM UTC-6, sawfish wrote:
> We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while
> listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for
> us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.
>
> So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:
>
> * Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
> * The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
> * Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
> * Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)
>
> Your turn!!!

Mine is Kill The Poor by The Dead Kennedy's. Its more apt considering the right wing nutters like *shitpiss dominating rst

https://genius.com/Dead-kennedys-kill-the-poor-lyrics

[Intro]
Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home

[Verse 1]
The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight
Gonna

[Chorus]
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Tonight

[Verse 2]
Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone
Feel free again
Oh, life's a dream with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's get dressed to dance away the night
While they

[Chorus]
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Tonight
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Tonight

[Solo]

[Verse 3]
Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone
Feel free again
Oh, life's a dream with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's get dressed to dance away the night
While they

[Chorus]
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Tonight
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Tonight
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Tonight

Sawfish

Jan 31, 2019, 1:17:10 PM1/31/19
On 1/31/19 10:02 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 10:47:03 AM UTC-6, sawfish wrote:
>> We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while
>> listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for
>> us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.
>>
>> So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:
>>
>> * Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
>> * The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
>> * Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
>> * Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)
>>
>> Your turn!!!
> Mine is Kill The Poor by The Dead Kennedy's. Its more apt considering the right wing nutters like *shitpiss dominating rst

Well, that's a good one, soccerfan, but I was hoping for something a
bit, well, you know, more *personal*. It could be political as well, of
course, but I was hoping for that personal element.

But if that's your choice, that's fine.

Thanks!
--
--Sawfish
"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance."

Calimero

Jan 31, 2019, 1:42:44 PM1/31/19
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 5:47:03 PM UTC+1, sawfish wrote:
> We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while
> listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for
> us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.
>
> So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:
>
> * Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
> * The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
> * Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
> * Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)
>
> Your turn!!!

Ich mag Steffi - Guildo Horn
Little Miss Wunderbar - The Rattles

Max

Sawfish

Jan 31, 2019, 2:16:09 PM1/31/19
I will search for these, Max. Thanks!

soccerfan777

Jan 31, 2019, 2:34:41 PM1/31/19
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 12:17:10 PM UTC-6, sawfish wrote:
> On 1/31/19 10:02 AM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 10:47:03 AM UTC-6, sawfish wrote:
> >> We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while
> >> listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for
> >> us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.
> >>
> >> So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:
> >>
> >> * Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
> >> * The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
> >> * Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
> >> * Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)
> >>
> >> Your turn!!!
> > Mine is Kill The Poor by The Dead Kennedy's. Its more apt considering the right wing nutters like *shitpiss dominating rst
>
> Well, that's a good one, soccerfan, but I was hoping for something a
> bit, well, you know, more *personal*. It could be political as well, of
> course, but I was hoping for that personal element.
>
> But if that's your choice, that's fine.
>
> Thanks!

You missed my sarcasm. I am not a big punk fan. I do like that song, but is by no means my favorite "love" song. I hate most love songs by the way.

My favorite love song is by Led Zeppelin. It is probably their most emotional.

https://genius.com/Led-zeppelin-ten-years-gone-lyrics

Then, as it was, then again it will be
And though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Flying skies of fortune, each a separate way
On the wings of maybe, downing birds of prey
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn’t have to go
But as the eagle leaves the nest, got so far to go

[Hook]
Changes fill my time, baby, that's alright with me
In the midst I think of you, and how it used to be

[Verse 2]
Did you ever really need somebody
And really need 'em bad?
Did you ever really want somebody
The best love you ever had?
Do you ever remember me, baby
Did it feel so good?
Cause it was just the first time
And you knew you would

[Verse 3]
Through the eyes and I sparkle, senses growing keen
Taste your love along the way, see your feathers preen
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to grow
We are eagles of one nest, the nest is in our soul

[Hook]
Vixen in my dreams, with great surprise to me
Never thought I'd see your face the way it used to be
Oh darling, oh darling

[Outro]
I'm never going to leave you
I'm never going to leave
Holding on, ten years gone
Ten years gone, holding on, ten years gone

TennisGuy

Jan 31, 2019, 3:57:11 PM1/31/19
On 1/31/2019 2:16 PM, Sawfish wrote:
> On 1/31/19 10:42 AM, Calimero wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 5:47:03 PM UTC+1, sawfish wrote:
>>> We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while
>>> listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for
>>> us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.
>>>
>>> So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:
>>>
>>>    * Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
>>>    * The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
>>>    * Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
>>>    * Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)
>>>
>>> Your turn!!!
>>>

>> Ich mag Steffi - Guildo Horn
>> Little Miss Wunderbar - The Rattles
>>

>> Max
>
> I will search for these, Max. Thanks!

Wow I never would have guessed. :)

It doesn't matter what topic you dream up Sawfish,
Max will find a way to bring his fantasy pin-up doll (Steffi)
into play.

You just made it a little easier with this topic, that's all.

The boy is totally obsessed with her for each waking hour of each day
of his life!

Calimero

Jan 31, 2019, 4:16:29 PM1/31/19
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 9:57:11 PM UTC+1, TennisGuy wrote:
> On 1/31/2019 2:16 PM, Sawfish wrote:

> >> Ich mag Steffi - Guildo Horn
> >> Little Miss Wunderbar - The Rattles
> >>

> >> Max
> >
> > I will search for these, Max. Thanks!
> >

> Wow I never would have guessed. :)
>
> It doesn't matter what topic you dream up Sawfish,
> Max will find a way to bring his fantasy pin-up doll (Steffi)
> into play.

Sawy had it coming.

Max

Sawfish

Jan 31, 2019, 4:42:37 PM1/31/19
I'm a bad one, that's for sure...

Whisper

Feb 1, 2019, 1:51:46 AM2/1/19

I Burn For You - 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgxy9lMbqJc

This song (for me) is the best ever for telling the tale of the perfect
combination of both romantic and passionate love with your soul mate.
The lyrics are sheer poetry and drip with passionate imagery. The song
is brilliantly performed, with Omar Hakim's beyond amazing drumming
BLAZING during the haunting refrain and climax to the song's ending. I
could hear this forever!

Now that I have found you
In the coolth of your evening smile
The shade of your parasol
And your love flows through me
Though I drink at your pool
I burn for you, I burn for
You and I are lovers
When night time folds around our bed
In peace we sleep entwined
And your love flows through me
Though an ocean soothes my head
I burn for you, I burn for
Stars will fall from dark skies
As ancient rocks are turning
Quiet fills the room
And your love flows through me
Though I lie here so still
I burn for you, I burn for you
I burn...

Songwriters: Gordon Sumner

---
https://www.avg.com

grif

Feb 1, 2019, 10:23:34 AM2/1/19
On 31/01/2019 16:47, Sawfish wrote:
> We're a sentimental, manly lot here on RST, and it dawned on me while listening to my favorite jazz stream, kjaz.fm, that it might be good for us to develop a list of all-time great love songs.
>
> So, to prime the pump, so to speak, I'll get us started:
>
>  * Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
>  * The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
>  * Mr. Brightside - The Killers :-)
>  * Self Esteem - The Offspring :-):-)
>
> Your turn!!!

Spanish Harlem Incident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-vsRxqNQNQ

Time after Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU

Everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyDosjjP5U

Moon River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJgGs9WpGt0

Sawfish

Feb 1, 2019, 11:22:52 AM2/1/19
Good one, Whisper!

Listening, there is a real art in this sort of lyric because it has to
speak to both the ephemeral romantic part, and to the carnal part *where
both partners are equally swept away*.

Like the very first time I met my current wife, it's like a spark
jumped; I mean, she looked up, our eyes met, and ZAP! I had seldom felt
that, and what's more, I could see that *something* happened on her end,
too. I later asked her about it (months later, probably) and she
verified it.

Strange stuff, that...

"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish

Sawfish

Feb 1, 2019, 11:24:32 AM2/1/19
On 1/31/19 10:51 PM, Whisper wrote:

Sting is badly underrated as a serious lyricist, in my opinion.

Sawfish

Feb 1, 2019, 11:30:28 AM2/1/19
Thanks, grif! Something good to listen to.

Pelle Svanslös

Feb 1, 2019, 1:12:31 PM2/1/19

The Iceberg

Feb 1, 2019, 2:57:52 PM2/1/19
Careless Whisper is my fave, cos it like the story about how all the Fedfans used to tell chicks mean stuff about me cos I said Sampras was the best player!

jdeluise

Feb 1, 2019, 4:34:56 PM2/1/19
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 08:24:30 -0800, Sawfish wrote:

> Sting is badly underrated as a serious lyricist, in my opinion.

I say pull out his heart plug.

Whisper

Feb 1, 2019, 5:19:07 PM2/1/19
> Good one, Whisper!
>
> Listening, there is a real art in this sort of lyric because it has to
> speak to both the ephemeral romantic part, and to the carnal part *where
> both partners are equally swept away*.
>
> Like the very first time I met my current wife, it's like a spark
> jumped; I mean, she looked up, our eyes met, and ZAP! I had seldom felt
> that, and what's more, I could see that *something* happened on her end,
> too. I later asked her about it (months later, probably) and she
> verified it.
>
> Strange stuff, that...

Yes, but I also like it when a *few girls* reveal similar feelings to
you, all thinking it's unique.

: )

It's incredibly powerful when it's reciprocated, but I wonder if
unrequited love is more powerful? One is a 'happy ending'/blissful
state, the other enduring longing/pain? 2 sides of the same coin?
Probably more songs have been written about the latter as it is the far
more common scenario.

Sawfish

Feb 1, 2019, 6:42:57 PM2/1/19
Hah!!!!

Boy, was it ever easy to tell who were the bad guys in that movie, huh?

Fat, slimy, tumored flying psychopaths...

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Barbecue grills on fire behind the condominiums that line the 9th fairway. I watched casual strollers slip on dog excrement on the boardwalk near the amusement pier. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time for lunch."

--Sawfish

Sawfish

Feb 1, 2019, 6:52:16 PM2/1/19
Maybe so.

There's this whole classification of highly desirable girls in my life
with whom I *almost* made it all the way, and some small thing fucked it
up, and I never got there...

..but close, real close, you could sense it.

Here. Here's an instance of what I mean. In one instance, with my first
wife, there was a girl to whom I was really attracted and she responded,
or actually she encouraged me and I couldn't help but respond, being in
my mid 20s. Someone then told her I was married, and for her this made
the whole thing undo-able, sour.

Now this group of girls *still* comes up in my dreams as something I had
a real good chance at, but missed, and this is really bittersweet stuff.

> One is a 'happy ending'/blissful state, the other enduring
> longing/pain? 2 sides of the same coin? Probably more songs have been
> written about the latter as it is the far more common scenario.
Agreed.