Women's player of the year?

Sakari Lund

Oct 30, 2011, 2:10:09 PM10/30/11

Very even field, nobody stands up (with Kim and Serena out big parts
of the season). Two candidates:

Kvitova (Slam + YEC)
Li Na (Slam + Slam final)

Li Na really slowing down after FO, so maybe Kvitova is the best
choice, although she has been extremely inconsistent. Definitely has
the potential to be the dominant player in the future. But even
yesterday and today, really bad spells during the matches. First set
today, leading 5-0 and suddenly it is 5-5.

SliceAndDice

Oct 30, 2011, 2:16:34 PM10/30/11
Kvitova. Wimbledon, YEC champ. Breakthrough player of the year.

jdeluise

Oct 30, 2011, 7:30:09 PM10/30/11

On 30-Oct-2011, Sakari Lund <sakar...@welho.com> wrote:

> Kvitova (Slam + YEC)

There's no way in hell she's the women's player of the year! ;)

DavidW

Oct 30, 2011, 8:29:40 PM10/30/11
No contest. It's Kvitova. No. 34 to no. 2 in less than a year, plus a Wimbledon
plate.

Court_1

Oct 30, 2011, 9:16:16 PM10/30/11
Absolutely no contest here, it is Kvitova. Won 6 tournaments this year
tied with Wozniacki except 2 out of Kvitova's 6 wins are BIG--i.e.
Wimbledon and YEC.

Kvitova if she can remain consistent in 2012 (and that is the big if)
will be number one I am pretty sure and I feel she will win multiple
slams. I never paid much attention to her before because I felt she
was too inconsistent but now I see she is a huge talent.

bob

Oct 31, 2011, 6:17:15 AM10/31/11
maybe best to skip 'women's player of the year' this year.

bob

Whisper

Oct 31, 2011, 7:25:05 AM10/31/11
She's had the best results. Stosur spanking Serena in USO final was
sweet too.

Whisper

Oct 31, 2011, 7:26:13 AM10/31/11
Yes. Stosur 2nd, Li Na 3rd & Kim 4th.

Whisper

Oct 31, 2011, 7:27:46 AM10/31/11
She just wants it more than the other girls so you really have to beat
her. A bit like Wozniacki but tougher.

Sakari Lund

Oct 31, 2011, 9:19:15 AM10/31/11
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:27:46 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:
Yeah right. Kvitova is the exact opposite of Wozniacki. Kvitova has a
huge game, big serve, big forehand, big backhand. She goes for her
shots, and when she is on, she is very, very tough to beat. But so far
she has been very inonsistent. She has won big titles, but she has
also lost early a lot.

jdeluise

Oct 31, 2011, 12:58:46 PM10/31/11
Just a joke based on another thread.

Court_1

Oct 31, 2011, 7:38:46 PM10/31/11
On Oct 30, 7:30 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30-Oct-2011, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>
> > Kvitova (Slam + YEC)
>
> There's no way in hell she's the women's player of the year! ;)

:))))))))) Funny, but if you are going to quote me do it right. It
was "no chance in hell." :)

Court_1

Oct 31, 2011, 7:45:22 PM10/31/11
No way Kvitova is like Wozniacki (and I like Wozniacki.) Kvitova goes
for broke with every shot. Sometimes she is dead on and other times
she goes for too much and thus makes errors. She has a huge lefty
serve, big groundies and skill at the net. Wozniacki just stays
consistent but has no huge weapons like Kvitova. I have been watching
Kvitova closely since Linz a few weeks ago and she has what it takes
to be number one and dominate the women's tour. If she wants it badly
enough and can keep her head together(and that is a big if) and work
hard, she will be a multiple slam winner sooner rather than later.

There is no question Kvitova is the women's player of the year with
her Wimbledon win and now the YEC.

John Doe

Oct 31, 2011, 10:21:16 PM10/31/11

Superdave

Oct 31, 2011, 10:52:40 PM10/31/11
On 01 Nov 2011 02:21:16 GMT, John Doe <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>Maria Sharapova, leg's down.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/5759067379/in/photostream

do you have the shara sex tape?

Sakari Lund

Nov 1, 2011, 8:00:25 AM11/1/11
Nope. If you are going to quote yourself do it right. The original
line was "Yah, I don't think Stosur has a hope in hell of winning this
title." :-)

Calimero

Nov 1, 2011, 8:12:06 AM11/1/11
On 1 Nov., 13:00, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:38:46 -0700 (PDT), Court_1

She is flip-flopping again ...

Max

Court_1

Nov 1, 2011, 8:46:02 AM11/1/11

Yes, I said the following originally:

"Yah, I don't think Stosur has a hope in hell of winning this title."

However, in another thread you then quoted me incorrectly by saying
the following:

"Kvitova choked the first set against Sam "not a chance in hell"
Stosur," so perhaps that is why I thought I originally said "no chance
in hell,"

Man oh man, next time I guess I should not only memorize what I said
"exactly" but how many words I wrote in a particular sentence with you
nitpickers around here! ;)

Sakari Lund

Nov 1, 2011, 8:54:26 AM11/1/11
Yes, I quoted it incorrectly many times, until I checked the exact
words. But you just quoted yourself incorrectly, that's worse :-)

Court_1

Nov 1, 2011, 8:49:47 AM11/1/11
> Max- Hide quoted text -

Shush you! :) Don't you have some more Steffi Graf "the most
beautiful tennis player" polls to search for?

Court_1

Nov 1, 2011, 9:02:13 AM11/1/11
> words. But you just quoted yourself incorrectly, that's worse  :-)-

True, but who knew you guys were like the Gestapo on here checking my
every word and punctuation mark! I was too lazy to go back into
another thread and check my exact words and was going from memory. :)

Calimero

Nov 1, 2011, 9:13:29 AM11/1/11
Graf, Petkovic, Eichmann, Hitler.
And just now again - Graf, Gestapo.

Freud would have had a field day with you ...

Max

Calimero

Nov 1, 2011, 8:58:24 AM11/1/11
No searching needed, I get regular e-mail notifications from google.

Max

bob

Nov 1, 2011, 12:33:55 PM11/1/11
at least he doesn't change his mind or apologize for it!

bob

bob

Nov 1, 2011, 12:35:38 PM11/1/11
huh? after you whined repeatedly about my not using caps or not
filtering out typos, etc.??

> I was too lazy to go back into
>another thread and check my exact words and was going from memory. :)

sure. i'll remember that.

bob

Court_1

Nov 1, 2011, 11:13:18 PM11/1/11
> Max-

Of course you do! Very convenient huh? ;)

Court_1

Nov 1, 2011, 11:16:08 PM11/1/11
> Max-

I guess Freud would tell me Nazi dictators are not my favorites! Take
Graf and Petkovic (who is not German by birth) out of that mix though
of course.

Calimero

Nov 2, 2011, 2:09:09 AM11/2/11
Neither was Hitler.

Max

Whisper

Nov 2, 2011, 3:37:08 AM11/2/11
On 1/11/2011 10:45 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> On Oct 31, 7:27 am, Whisper<beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:
>> On 31/10/2011 12:16 PM, Court_1 wrote:
>>
>>> Absolutely no contest here, it is Kvitova. Won 6 tournaments this year
>>> tied with Wozniacki except 2 out of Kvitova's 6 wins are BIG--i.e.
>>> Wimbledon and YEC.
>>
>>> Kvitova if she can remain consistent in 2012 (and that is the big if)
>>> will be number one I am pretty sure and I feel she will win multiple
>>> slams. I never paid much attention to her before because I felt she
>>> was too inconsistent but now I see she is a huge talent.
>>
>> She just wants it more than the other girls so you really have to beat
>> her. A bit like Wozniacki but tougher.
>
> No way Kvitova is like Wozniacki (and I like Wozniacki.)

Not game-wise, but hunger to win. Woz doubts herself in the biggest
matches, partly because she lacks big killer shots.

Court_1

Nov 2, 2011, 8:58:42 AM11/2/11
> matches, partly because she lacks big killer shots.-

I don't think Wozniacki doubts herself at all. I just don't think she
has had the big weapons to win a slam. I think she has the hunger to
win one but whether she has the skills to do so is another story.

I don't see Kvitova in a similar situation to Wozniacki. Kvitova has
the weapons and she will gain the confidence the more she wins.
Winning Wimbledon and the YEC in one year is a good confidence builder
no doubt. The question is whether she can remain consistent and have
that drive one needs to keep winning big. Time will tell.

Court_1

Nov 2, 2011, 9:01:19 AM11/2/11
> Max-

Yes, I know he was born in Austria but so what? A Nazi is a Nazi.

DavidW

Nov 2, 2011, 4:50:03 PM11/2/11
Court_1 wrote:
> On Nov 2, 3:37 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

>>> No way Kvitova is like Wozniacki (and I like Wozniacki.)
>>
>> Not game-wise, but hunger to win. Woz doubts herself in the biggest
>> matches, partly because she lacks big killer shots.-
>
> I don't think Wozniacki doubts herself at all. I just don't think she
> has had the big weapons to win a slam. I think she has the hunger to
> win one but whether she has the skills to do so is another story.

She looks to me like she's resigned to losing in big slam matches. I don't see
the burning hunger that, say, Graf had before she was good enough to beat top
players. Graf was very pissed off on the way up when she lost to Evert and Navi.

Calimero

Nov 2, 2011, 5:18:00 PM11/2/11
So Graf made you think of Eichmann, Petkovic of Hiter (Petko and Adolf
being born outside of Germany)?
But there is a fault somewhere - Steffi is superior to Petko!
So Steffi must be Hitler and Petko Eichmann?
You are weird somehow ...

Max

Calimero

Nov 2, 2011, 5:19:19 PM11/2/11
Why do need more "weapons" to win in a slams than in Indian Wells?

Max

Court_1

Nov 2, 2011, 6:14:32 PM11/2/11
> Max-

I think you are reading a little too much into my posts buddy. I
don't like Nazi's and I do not associate Graf or Petkovic with Nazi's.
You are letting your imagination run wild.

I guess when you are obsessed with a tennis player, in your case Graf,
that's what happens.

Chill. :)

Court_1

Nov 2, 2011, 6:23:39 PM11/2/11
> Max-

I don't know, you tell me. Why hasn't Wozniacki won a slam yet since
she has won IW?

To me, it is a combination of lack of weapons in her game that would
propel her to win a slam where the competition is more severe--i.e.
more matches need to be won, often tougher opponents, etc., and there
could be a mental part but to me Wozniacki seems to be pretty tough
mentally.

Wozniacki's big weapon is her consistency where she forces the other
player to make another shot and an error. For some reason that formula
has not worked in slams. I think that hurts her in slams.

Contrast her play to somebody like Kvitova who has a game filled with
big weapons but lacks consistency from time to time, yet Kvitova has
one slam and one YEC and Woz has neither. Doesn' t that imply to you
that Woz is lacking some of the necessary weapons needed to win a
slam?

bob

Nov 2, 2011, 6:30:05 PM11/2/11
how many have you met?

> and I do not associate Graf or Petkovic with Nazi's.
>You are letting your imagination run wild.
>
>I guess when you are obsessed with a tennis player, in your case Graf,
>that's what happens.
>Chill. :)

bob
Message has been deleted

Court_1

Nov 2, 2011, 6:44:05 PM11/2/11
On Nov 2, 6:30 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:14:32 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
>

> bob-
I assure you I do not want to meet any Nazis, I will leave that to
you! ;)

Whisper

Nov 3, 2011, 5:24:17 AM11/3/11
Yes. But it is also possible to win slams by being a strong-willed
retriever. That's why I said she doubts herself & lacks sufficient
hunger. Hewitt had to be at 100% to win slams playing his style of game
- 99% prob doesn't cut it.

The problem for Woz/Hewitt types is even at 100% they can still be
overwhelmed by the better talented players, but at least at 100% they
have a shot.