World's top 10 cities - New York No.1, Newcastle no.9

Whisper

Nov 1, 2010, 3:25:06 AM11/1/10

Whisper

Nov 1, 2010, 4:54:40 AM11/1/10

Inglourious Basterd

Nov 1, 2010, 10:06:29 AM11/1/10
On 1 Nov, 08:54, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> On 11/1/2010 6:25 PM, Whisper wrote:
>

> >http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/lonely-planet-rat...
>
> http://au.news.yahoo.com/australian-news/a/-/australian-news/8239008/...

what bullshit, sir.

The people making this list must have been on crack.

TT

Nov 1, 2010, 1:39:20 PM11/1/10

Yama

Nov 1, 2010, 3:31:04 PM11/1/10

New York #1? Hmm, my sis returned from USA couple of months ago and said
that New York was absolutely awful - depressing city full of extremely rude
people.

texasgate

Nov 1, 2010, 5:02:16 PM11/1/10
On Nov 1, 8:06 am, Inglourious Basterd
<thetruetennisg...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> The people making this list must have been on crack.

What are you on?

Inglourious Basterd

Nov 1, 2010, 5:26:23 PM11/1/10

I am high on life, sir.

pltr...@xhost.org

Nov 1, 2010, 6:03:30 PM11/1/10

This list was of the "top 10 must-see destinations".

You never know about any single person's experience. A good friend
just returned from his first trip to Europe and hated every minute he
spent in Paris (my favorite city in the world, by far)..

And New Yorkers don't suffer fools gladly.

-- Larry

bob

Nov 1, 2010, 6:09:13 PM11/1/10
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:25:06 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/lonely-planet-rates-newcastle-in-worlds-top-10/1984024.aspx

pretty cool. melbourne must be pissed. :-)
reading about nyc, talking about the trace center monument, i was past
it last month, construction isn't very far along. hope they're
finished by 9/11/2011.

bob

bob

Nov 1, 2010, 6:09:49 PM11/1/10

NYC = greatest city in the world. letterman says so every single
night!

bob

bob

Nov 1, 2010, 6:11:52 PM11/1/10
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:31:04 +0000 (UTC), Yama
<tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:

some of the finest museums, restaurants, nightlife and theater in the
world, can't argue against that. at decent establishments, never rude.
in fact, i've never come across more rude people in america than in
the south.

bob

Ted S.

Nov 1, 2010, 7:17:33 PM11/1/10
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:03:30 -0400, pltr...@xhost.org wrote:

> And New Yorkers don't suffer fools gladly.

As somebody living two hours north of NYC, I can say that New York City
folk are self-centered and extremely arrogant, and frankly just as
bigoted as they claim the rest of the country is. It's just that
because the large media is centered in NYC, their bigotry is treated as
the acceptable kind.

--
Ted Schuerzinger
tedstennis at myrealbox dot com

Whisper

Nov 2, 2010, 7:17:38 AM11/2/10

As Sydney/Melbourne failed to make the cut I think AO should be moved to
Newcastle.

New York (No.1) is safe for USO, but London/Paris also failed to make
top 10 so maybe new slam hosts should be canvassed?

TT

Nov 2, 2010, 7:36:05 AM11/2/10
Ted S. wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:03:30 -0400, pltr...@xhost.org wrote:
>
>> And New Yorkers don't suffer fools gladly.
>
> As somebody living two hours north of NYC, I can say that New York City
> folk are self-centered and extremely arrogant, and frankly just as
> bigoted as they claim the rest of the country is. It's just that
> because the large media is centered in NYC, their bigotry is treated as
> the acceptable kind.

But you don't live in New York and still are an asshole???

--
"I am no more a witch than you are a wizard, and if you take away my
life God will give you blood to drink"

Iceberg

Nov 2, 2010, 8:02:01 AM11/2/10
On 2 Nov, 11:17, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> On 11/2/2010 9:09 AM, bob wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 07:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Inglourious Basterd
> > <thetruetennisg...@hotmail.co.uk>  wrote:

> >> what bullshit, sir.
>
> >> The people making this list must have been on crack.
>
> > NYC = greatest city in the world. letterman says so every single
> > night!
>
> > bob
>
> As Sydney/Melbourne failed to make the cut I think AO should be moved to
> Newcastle.
>
> New York (No.1) is safe for USO, but London/Paris also failed to make
> top 10 so maybe new slam hosts should be canvassed?

yes, Delhi did spectacularly well with the Commonwealth Games, lol. It
also nice too see Chang Mai and Wellington down, I doubt the authors
ever been to those 'cities'.

Iceberg

Nov 2, 2010, 8:04:47 AM11/2/10

many people I know have been surprised by how helpful NYers are.
Coming from London I still love the abuse you get on the subway if you
ask for directions though!

GOYLE

Nov 2, 2010, 8:10:08 AM11/2/10

I don't care for that top choice. More then anywhere else Americans
are the most rude people on earth and I know first hand since I
traveled all over the US with my job. The other issue I have is the
politicians in the US are the most corrupt and now the politicians are
very obnoxious.These new breed of politicians in the US will tell you
to your face they don't like Latinos or African Americans and the list
is long. This new election cycle we have seen a new group calling
themselves the TEA PARTY, and this is the UNEDUCATED BIGGOTED fringe
of Americans. Sometimes I think I'm going to retire to Europe, in
particular England.

TT

Nov 2, 2010, 8:15:54 AM11/2/10

I liked Chiang Mai. Perhaps a bit quiet for my taste though,
nightlife-wise. Night Market nothing special, imo...same useless crap
they sell in every town for tourists.
Nice view over the city from Doi Suthep - the golden temple, which is
really beatiful. I'm sure it's nicer city for a tourist than Newcastle... :)

Well at least the food and the ladies! But not good for Dave, not many
ladyboys up there.

Inglourious Basterd

Nov 2, 2010, 9:49:52 AM11/2/10
> ladyboys up there.- Hide quoted text -

Chiang Mai is really relaxed, best part about it though is that it's a
gateway to other highlights (treks etc) in the north of Thailand.

Dave should go to Bangkok or Pattaya for the ladyboys.

Iceberg

Nov 2, 2010, 10:21:57 AM11/2/10
On 2 Nov, 13:49, Inglourious Basterd <thetruetennisg...@hotmail.co.uk>

yes, that's why Chiang Mai's there, to go trekking from, hardly to
visit the town.

> Dave should go to Bangkok or Pattaya for the ladyboys.

yes, he'd like Pattaya, lol

Javier González

Nov 2, 2010, 10:24:40 AM11/2/10

I've loved New York every time I've been there, but it's kind of hyper-
strung.

It's very pretty, but on the US my favorite "pretty" city is San
Francisco.

Calimero

Nov 2, 2010, 12:41:07 PM11/2/10
On 1 Nov., 08:25, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/lonely-planet-rat...

When did they move Newcastle to Australia??

Max

Raja, The Great

Nov 2, 2010, 1:53:40 PM11/2/10

You are on crack. New York people are rude. People in Houston are a
lot nicer.

Raja, The Great

Nov 2, 2010, 1:54:28 PM11/2/10

Delhi is full of rude people just like NY

TT

Nov 2, 2010, 3:29:00 PM11/2/10

Good post.

I've been wondering the same few years now!

Sakari Lund

Nov 2, 2010, 3:31:03 PM11/2/10
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:29:00 +0200, TT <do...@email.me> wrote:

>Calimero wrote:
>> On 1 Nov., 08:25, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>> http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/lonely-planet-rat...
>>

>> When did they move Newcastle to Australia??
>>

>> Max
>
>Good post.
>
>I've been wondering the same few years now!

The bigger question is when did they move Paris to Texas?

Javier González

Nov 2, 2010, 3:41:03 PM11/2/10

Or Valparaíso to Nebraska. No wait, Indiana. No wait, Florida!

TT

Nov 2, 2010, 3:43:59 PM11/2/10

Canada

* Paris, Ontario
* Paris, Yukon

[edit] Kiribati

* Paris, Kiribati

[edit] United States

* New Paris, Indiana
* New Paris, Ohio
* New Paris, Pennsylvania
* Paris, Arkansas
* Paris, California, former name of Loraine, California
* Paris, Idaho
* Paris, Illinois
* Paris, Kentucky
* Paris, Maine
* Paris, Michigan
* Paris, Missouri
* Paris, New York
* Paris, Ohio
* Paris, Pennsylvania
* Paris, Tennessee
* Paris, Texas
* Paris, Virginia
* Paris, Grant County, Wisconsin
* Paris, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
* Paris Township, Michigan
* South Paris, Maine
* St. Paris, Ohio
* West Paris, Maine
* Beresford, South Dakota, formerly Paris, Dakota Territory

TT

Nov 2, 2010, 3:44:59 PM11/2/10

I've never been to Paris, Kiribati. :)

bob

Nov 2, 2010, 8:14:47 PM11/2/10

why you dumbo.

bob

bob

Nov 2, 2010, 8:16:27 PM11/2/10
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 05:10:08 -0700 (PDT), GOYLE
<jamesho...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Nov 1, 12:39 pm, TT <do...@email.me> wrote:
>> 1. Lago
>> 2. Newcastle
>>
>> http://calitreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/highplains2.jpg
>
>I don't care for that top choice. More then anywhere else Americans
>are the most rude people on earth and I know first hand since I
>traveled all over the US with my job. The other issue I have is the
>politicians in the US are the most corrupt and now the politicians are
>very obnoxious.These new breed of politicians in the US will tell you
>to your face they don't like Latinos or African Americans and the list
>is long.

huh? in the land of politically correct? are you crazy???????
any politician who ever even thought that those ideas would be tarred
and feathered.

> This new election cycle we have seen a new group calling
>themselves the TEA PARTY, and this is the UNEDUCATED BIGGOTED fringe
>of Americans. Sometimes I think I'm going to retire to Europe, in
>particular England.

and the tea party won't win much either, and how does this have
anything to do with the ridiculous statement you made?

bob

bob

Nov 2, 2010, 8:17:01 PM11/2/10
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:17:33 -0400, "Ted S." <tedst...@myrealbox.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:03:30 -0400, pltr...@xhost.org wrote:
>
>> And New Yorkers don't suffer fools gladly.
>
>As somebody living two hours north of NYC, I can say that New York City
>folk are self-centered and extremely arrogant, and frankly just as
>bigoted as they claim the rest of the country is. It's just that
>because the large media is centered in NYC, their bigotry is treated as
>the acceptable kind.

another bitter upstater. sad.

bob

bob

Nov 2, 2010, 8:20:45 PM11/2/10
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 05:04:47 -0700 (PDT), Iceberg
<iceber...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 1 Nov, 22:11, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:31:04 +0000 (UTC), Yama
>>
>> <tj...@NOSPAMpajuoulu.fi> wrote:
>>
>> >New York #1? Hmm, my sis returned from USA couple of months ago and said
>> >that New York was absolutely awful - depressing city full of extremely rude
>> >people.
>>
>> some of the finest museums, restaurants, nightlife and theater in the
>> world, can't argue against that. at decent establishments, never rude.
>> in fact,  i've never come across more rude people in america than in
>> the south.
>
>many people I know have been surprised by how helpful NYers are.

peopel anywhere can be rude, and as a %, NYC is same as anywhere else.
at any decent establishement in the city, people from all over are
treated very very well from my observation and experience. some
redneck country folk just like to complain for some reason. advice:
don't ever go to SouthEast USA or Texas.

>Coming from London I still love the abuse you get on the subway if you
>ask for directions though!

the ny subway system, IMO, is one of the more complicated. the london
tube, the DC metro for ex, much much easier IMO.

bob

bob

Nov 2, 2010, 8:21:02 PM11/2/10

raja: the indian redneck.

bob

bob

Nov 2, 2010, 8:22:24 PM11/2/10

i was actually in paris texas last april, looked all over where to get
my FO tickets, not a sign anywhere. i'll say this: they had Tea Party
signs literally *everywhere*.

bob

Ted S.

Nov 2, 2010, 8:46:26 PM11/2/10
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:41:03 -0700 (PDT), Javier González wrote:

> Or Valparaíso to Nebraska. No wait, Indiana. No wait, Florida!

Florida is actually in New York: <http://www.floridanewyork.com/>

So is Peru: <http://www.perucsd.org/>

Chile, on the other hand, I'm not so sure of:
<http://www.townofchili.org/> ;-)

Superdave

Nov 2, 2010, 9:12:15 PM11/2/10

I'll bring along my .357 and consider it a hunting trip!

Superdave

Nov 2, 2010, 9:16:10 PM11/2/10
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT), "Raja, The Great" <zepf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Not really. They only "appear" to be. Give them the same stimuli as you would no longer be able to tell the dif.

Like you, its hard to reco the Paki in you in Houston but put you back in Islamabad and it's aha !

Raja, The Great

Nov 2, 2010, 11:17:19 PM11/2/10

Fuck off boobsie.. you know nothing fool

Raja, The Great

Nov 2, 2010, 11:17:46 PM11/2/10

F U NY

john

Nov 3, 2010, 7:05:14 AM11/3/10

"TT" <do...@email.me> wrote in message

Anyone been to Melbourne, Florida ?

Superdave

Nov 3, 2010, 9:27:27 AM11/3/10

Redneck ? That's a joke. He's a Paki!

Pelle Svanslös

Nov 3, 2010, 11:05:02 AM11/3/10

Aren't injuns rednecks by definition?

--
"Another opponent, exhausted and thin!
Is bludgeoned to death by endurance and spin."

bob

Nov 3, 2010, 5:56:58 PM11/3/10
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:05:02 +0100, Pelle Svansl�s <pe...@svans.los>
wrote:

wrong injuns.

bob

Superdave

Nov 3, 2010, 9:47:47 PM11/3/10
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:05:02 +0100, Pelle Svansl�s <pe...@svans.los> wrote:

That's my point. He's not injun. He's Paki.

Yama

Nov 4, 2010, 7:18:00 AM11/4/10
Ted S. <tedst...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
: As somebody living two hours north of NYC, I can say that New York City

: folk are self-centered and extremely arrogant, and frankly just as
: bigoted as they claim the rest of the country is. It's just that
: because the large media is centered in NYC, their bigotry is treated as
: the acceptable kind.

Hmm, sounds like US equivalent of Helsinki then... :)

arnab.z@gmail

Nov 4, 2010, 7:33:48 AM11/4/10

True. TT's never been to anywhere outside his basement where he plays
video games all day.

stuth...@comcast.net

Nov 4, 2010, 1:26:48 PM11/4/10

I've been riding the NYC subway most of my life, plus the LIRR, PATH,
Metro-North and NJT railroads. Also been on the Washington Metro and
Chicago CTA lines.

The London Underground looks more unfathomable than any of them.

bob

Nov 4, 2010, 5:30:56 PM11/4/10

you may be much more used to it, but the express lines, the #s VS
letters, etc to me make it quite a bit harder unless you're familiar
with the particular route.

bob

stuth...@comcast.net

Nov 5, 2010, 5:52:38 PM11/5/10
On Nov 4, 5:30 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 10:26:48 -0700 (PDT), "stuthalb...@comcast.net"

The numbers vs. letters don't matter; they're a historical vestige.
Some trains are express (2,3,4,5) and others are locals along the same
trunk route (1,6). And as the lines go out to the outer boroughs,
they go off to different neighborhoods. IIRC, there are both express
and local 7 trains. And that's just the IRT. IND and BMT trains have
their own oddities.

You're right, there ARE minute details that only a regular rider might
know.

I still maintain the London Underground looks at least as screwy. Not
that I've ever been on it.

Viper

Nov 5, 2010, 7:07:13 PM11/5/10

Turn it up sweetheart, your 'man marbles' haven't even dropped yet

Viper

bob

Nov 5, 2010, 8:52:28 PM11/5/10

see, even as an esperienced NYC subway rider, you've described a
somewhat complicated system, doing your best to simplify, no?

>I still maintain the London Underground looks at least as screwy. Not
>that I've ever been on it.

i've ridden the london tube and DC metro fairly amount of times, and
IMO the they're both absolutely simple. lines with names and colors.
not just letters and numbers. :-) i've ridden the subway far more
often than either of those and still get on an express and fly right
past my destination. :-(

bob

stuth...@comcast.net

Nov 7, 2010, 11:42:00 AM11/7/10
On Nov 5, 7:52 pm, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:52:38 -0700 (PDT), "stuthalb...@comcast.net"

The DC Metro IS simple, because it's fairly small, with a small number
of routes and a small number of stations.

The NYC subway covers more ground, has more mileage and more stations,
and of course, more passengers. It also has the flexibility to re-
route trains to skip stations or to different lines based on demand or
need for repairs.

Inglourious Basterd

Nov 7, 2010, 12:17:08 PM11/7/10
On Nov 6, 12:52 am, bob <stein...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:52:38 -0700 (PDT), "stuthalb...@comcast.net"

The London tube is pretty good, except when the bastards strike, which
is every few weeks, so actually come to think of it, it's pretty
shit ;)

stuth...@comcast.net

Nov 7, 2010, 1:11:00 PM11/7/10
On Nov 2, 12:53 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are on crack. New York people are rude. People in Houston are a
> lot nicer.

Never been to New York, eh?

New Yorkers are in a HURRY. They have places to go, people to see,
things to do, deadlines to make.

People in Houston are invisible, because they're all in their
respective cars. You never see them. And they're always stuck in
traffic. More road rage in Houston. And they have GUNS.