Zverev first youngster to win a Masters?

The Iceberg

May 21, 2017, 11:28:43 AM5/21/17
Yes he was my tip, while all the Fedfans said Thiem!

TennisGuy

May 21, 2017, 11:37:55 AM5/21/17
On 5/21/2017 11:28 AM, The Iceberg wrote:
> Yes he was my tip, while all the Fedfans said Thiem!

Changing horses in midstream again? LOL!

Geeam

May 21, 2017, 11:42:57 AM5/21/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 5:28:43 PM UTC+2, The Iceberg wrote:
> Yes he was my tip, while all the Fedfans said Thiem!

Seems like Young Zverev is a real bad match-up for Djokovic. Djokovic already lost to Zverev 4-6, 3-6 at the Boodles Wimbledon tune-up event in June 2015. That was an exhibition alright, but Zverev beat peak Djokovic who went on to win Wimbledon 2 weeks later. Zverev > Djokovic > Thiem > Nadal > Zverev. Now we know exactly who will win the French Open!

Geeam

May 21, 2017, 12:08:59 PM5/21/17
In case you're wondering if the Germans are now going crazy over their next tennis superstar. No, they're not. Most Germans still don't even know that Alex Zverev exists, although this might change now that he's a top ten player. For some obscure reason it seems like Zverev is perceived by some Germans to be half Russian (which he's not) while Kerber is considered as German (although she is in fact half Polish).

The Iceberg

May 21, 2017, 12:16:16 PM5/21/17
you'd be the sort that would take a long time learning how to work the frying machine! have long touted Zverev out of the new guys.

The Iceberg

May 21, 2017, 12:17:10 PM5/21/17
On Sunday, 21 May 2017 17:08:59 UTC+1, Geeam wrote:
> In case you're wondering if the Germans are now going crazy over their next tennis superstar. No, they're not. Most Germans still don't even know that Alex Zverev exists, although this might change now that he's a top ten player. For some obscure reason it seems like Zverev is perceived by some Germans to be half Russian (which he's not) while Kerber is considered as German (although she is in fact half Polish).

thought Zverev was 100% Russian, not just half.

Brian W Lawrence

May 21, 2017, 12:25:11 PM5/21/17
Both his parents were Russian - Aleksandr snr. & Irina. Both were
also professional tennis players.

---
http://www.avg.com

calim...@gmx.de

May 21, 2017, 12:25:17 PM5/21/17
Serena is 100 % African and still Americans support her.

Max

Geeam

May 21, 2017, 12:27:22 PM5/21/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:17:10 PM UTC+2, The Iceberg wrote:
> thought Zverev was 100% Russian, not just half.

That's certainly what the Russians must be thinking. And why not, since both his parents are Russian, but of course I was referring only to the passport situation.

Brian W Lawrence

May 21, 2017, 12:37:40 PM5/21/17
He's the youngest since Djokovic won Miami in 2007 aged 19.

Earlier teenagers to win were

Chang & Nadal (18)
Medvedev & Agassi (19)

Fed, Andre, Rafa, Ljubicic & Pioline won events over the age
of 30.

The Iceberg

May 21, 2017, 1:27:08 PM5/21/17
he's 100% Russian then.

The Iceberg

May 21, 2017, 1:28:05 PM5/21/17
On Sunday, 21 May 2017 17:37:40 UTC+1, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> He's the youngest since Djokovic won Miami in 2007 aged 19.
>
> Earlier teenagers to win were
>
> Chang & Nadal (18)
> Medvedev & Agassi (19)
>
> Fed, Andre, Rafa, Ljubicic & Pioline won events over the age
> of 30.

Cool! thanks for the stats!

TennisGuy

May 21, 2017, 2:22:24 PM5/21/17
If you consider Zverev to be Russian, then Roanic is Serbian
just like his comrade Djoker.
Only difference is that Djoker didn't desert his country.

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 3:30:02 PM5/21/17
Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
> In case you're wondering if the Germans are now going crazy over their next tennis superstar. No, they're not. Most Germans still don't even know that Alex Zverev exists, although this might change now that he's a top ten player. For some obscure reason it seems like Zverev is perceived by some Germans to be half Russian (which he's not) while Kerber is considered as German (although she is in fact half Polish).

Isn't Zverev 100% Russian, not just half?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 4:01:02 PM5/21/17
calim...@gmx.de Wrote in message:
I doubt it. US blacks are rarely 100% Africans, it's almost
impossible.

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 4:01:02 PM5/21/17
TennisGuy <TG...@techsavvy.com> Wrote in message:
Well Raonic was a baby when they moved, and to be fair, Canada did
provide for him so has to pay back by playing for them. People
understand his obligation and he explained that many times so no
one is angry at him.

He has a somewhat foreign accent, even when he speaks Serbo-Croatian.

https://youtu.be/uuNg-uFMtgc

RaspingDrive

May 21, 2017, 4:48:13 PM5/21/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 12:16:16 PM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 May 2017 16:37:55 UTC+1, TennisGuy wrote:
> > On 5/21/2017 11:28 AM, The Iceberg wrote:
> > > Yes he was my tip, while all the Fedfans said Thiem!
> > >

> > Changing horses in midstream again? LOL!
>
> have long touted Zverev out of the new guys.

Even if a so-called 'out of sorts' Nadal crushed him.

jdeluise

May 21, 2017, 4:53:43 PM5/21/17
I doubt the vast majority of us are 100% anything...

calim...@gmx.de

May 21, 2017, 5:53:40 PM5/21/17
Zverev was born in Germany. Same as McEnroe.

Max

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 6:01:02 PM5/21/17
jdeluise <jdel...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
As long as we're 95% or more it's fine.

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 6:01:03 PM5/21/17
calim...@gmx.de Wrote in message:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:53:43 PM UTC+2, jdeluise wrote:

>> > I doubt it. US blacks are rarely 100% Africans, it's almost
>> > impossible.
>>
>> I doubt the vast majority of us are 100% anything...
>
> Zverev was born in Germany. Same as McEnroe.

Good point. Neither is German.

Jason White

May 21, 2017, 6:51:15 PM5/21/17
Zverev's ethnicity is Russian. Nationality German. Why is this so difficult? For Dimitrov: ethnicity Russian, nationality Bulgarian. Raonic: Serb / Canadian.

SliceAndDice

May 21, 2017, 6:51:40 PM5/21/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 11:28:43 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> Yes he was my tip, while all the Fedfans said Thiem!

I actually feel a bit bad for Thiem. He was the one on fire during the clay season and even gets a big win over Nadal, and then Zverev comes and wins the big one out of nowhere. Big step for the young guy. This is called taking advantage of the moment.

SliceAndDice

May 21, 2017, 6:53:20 PM5/21/17
Umm no. He was born and brought up in Germany and has said he identifies as German.

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 7:30:03 PM5/21/17
SliceAndDice <vish...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
You have transvestites with dicks saying they feel like females.
Ok, we respect their feelings. But we discuss facts here.

*skriptis

May 21, 2017, 7:30:03 PM5/21/17
Jason White <infiniti_...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
Where did you come up with Dimitrov being Russian? Never heard of
it, and his name isn't Russian either.

Grigor vs Grigoriy
and
Dimitrov vs Dmitrov/Dmitriyev etc

Rst is so full of fake news these days. ;)

bob

May 21, 2017, 8:47:16 PM5/21/17
was he born in the same US military base as mcenroe?

bob

bob

May 21, 2017, 8:57:47 PM5/21/17
On Sun, 21 May 2017 21:38:26 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
<skri...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:

>TennisGuy <TG...@techsavvy.com> Wrote in message:

>>> he's 100% Russian then.
>>>

>> If you consider Zverev to be Russian, then Roanic is Serbian
>> just like his comrade Djoker.
>> Only difference is that Djoker didn't desert his country.
>

>Well Raonic was a baby when they moved, and to be fair, Canada did
> provide for him so has to pay back by playing for them.

you took opposite stance last wk with sharapova, no?

anyway, this zverev, wonde who long he's been in germany.

> People
> understand his obligation and he explained that many times so no
> one is angry at him.
>He has a somewhat foreign accent, even when he speaks Serbo-Croatian.
>https://youtu.be/uuNg-uFMtgc

bob

bob

May 21, 2017, 8:59:15 PM5/21/17
wonder if zverev's grandfather was involved in that little skirmish
the russians and germans had in the early 40s?

bob

bob

May 21, 2017, 9:00:14 PM5/21/17
? african? i thought she was white.

bob

soccerfan777

May 21, 2017, 9:11:16 PM5/21/17
Sharapova moved to US when she was 7. Thats old enough. And she plays for Russia and has played in Fed Cup and Olympics for Russia, even winning a silver medal for RUSSIA.

Raonic always played for Canada. Big difference

bob

May 21, 2017, 9:18:09 PM5/21/17
old enough for what?

> And she plays for Russia and has played in Fed Cup and Olympics for Russia, even winning a silver medal for RUSSIA.

i agree the ages were 5 yrs apart, but still, i'm just saying he took
an opposite stance with sharapova.

>Raonic always played for Canada. Big difference
>>
>> anyway, this zverev, wonde who long he's been in germany.
>>
>> > People
>> > understand his obligation and he explained that many times so no
>> > one is angry at him.
>> >He has a somewhat foreign accent, even when he speaks Serbo-Croatian.
>> >https://youtu.be/uuNg-uFMtgc
>>
>> bob

bob

soccerfan777

May 21, 2017, 9:36:33 PM5/21/17
Old enough to have some Russianism in her.

> > And she plays for Russia and has played in Fed Cup and Olympics for Russia, even winning a silver medal for RUSSIA.
>
> i agree the ages were 5 yrs apart, but still, i'm just saying he took
> an opposite stance with sharapova.

Because both are completely different cases.

bob

May 21, 2017, 9:48:58 PM5/21/17
On Sun, 21 May 2017 18:36:30 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
you really love her.

bob

SliceAndDice

May 21, 2017, 10:02:31 PM5/21/17
So Sampras is Greek, Kyrgios is Greek-Malaysian? Nobody should be American except the Native Americans then?

SliceAndDice

May 21, 2017, 10:04:05 PM5/21/17
From: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/20/john-isner-alexander-zverev-italian-open-tennis
Born in Germany of Russian stock, Zverev appears to have the hard-wired Russian grit, mental as well as physical, common to people from harsh environments. And, although he has joined the community of tennis exiles in Monaco, he is in no doubt about his allegiance. “My parents moved to Germany in ’91. I wasn’t even born yet. I grew up in Germany, went to a German school, had German friends. I am the most German that I can be.”

bob

May 21, 2017, 10:14:55 PM5/21/17
fair enough, i'm not questioning if he's german or if germans consider
him german.

i was just wondering how it differed from sharapova.

bob

bob

May 21, 2017, 10:24:38 PM5/21/17
sampras considers his greek heritage important, as most greeks do, and
vacations there often. not sure about kyrgios.

IMO, mostly it's cultural. for example, if a jamaican track star isn't
good enough to make the jamaica team so moves to the united states at
age 22 just before the olympics solely to run the 100m for *somebody*,
i wouldn't really consider him an "american athlete." he's a jamaican
opportunist or a jamaican with a dream, call it what you want, but i
normally don't care for these types of things. it's phony.

i'm not comparing this to zverev or sharapova.

bob

soccerfan777

May 21, 2017, 10:32:41 PM5/21/17
Not nearly as much as Steffi Graf. Anyway, let me ask... does that make you jealous?

> bob

SliceAndDice

May 21, 2017, 10:34:07 PM5/21/17
Getting back to tennis, a couple of noteworthy Zverev stats: he lost his first two ATP finals and has since won his next four. That is a very impressive upward trajectory.
He has passed Kyrgios in number of titles won, and is second only to Thiem from his generation.

calim...@gmx.de

May 21, 2017, 11:33:28 PM5/21/17
Sharapova is Russian, dummy!

Max

Brian W Lawrence

May 21, 2017, 11:44:37 PM5/21/17
On 22/05/2017 01:57, bob wrote:

> anyway, this zverev, wonde who long he's been in germany.

Born in Hamburg.

---
http://www.avg.com

The Iceberg

May 22, 2017, 2:58:12 AM5/22/17
On Sunday, 21 May 2017 19:22:24 UTC+1, TennisGuy wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 1:27 PM, The Iceberg wrote:

> >> Both his parents were Russian - Aleksandr snr. & Irina. Both were
> >> also professional tennis players.
> >
> > he's 100% Russian then.
> >

> If you consider Zverev to be Russian, then Roanic is Serbian
> just like his comrade Djoker.
> Only difference is that Djoker didn't desert his country.

that's why I call Raonic the Serbian boy!

Pelle Svanslös

May 22, 2017, 4:20:40 AM5/22/17
On 22.5.2017 9:58, The Iceberg wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 May 2017 19:22:24 UTC+1, TennisGuy wrote:

>>> he's 100% Russian then.
>>>

>> If you consider Zverev to be Russian, then Roanic is Serbian
>> just like his comrade Djoker.
>> Only difference is that Djoker didn't desert his country.
>
> that's why I call Raonic the Serbian boy!

From Titograd!

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 6:30:02 AM5/22/17
bob <b...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> On Sun, 21 May 2017 21:38:26 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
> <skri...@post.t-com.hr> wrote:
>
>>TennisGuy <TG...@techsavvy.com> Wrote in message:

>>> If you consider Zverev to be Russian, then Roanic is Serbian
>>> just like his comrade Djoker.
>>> Only difference is that Djoker didn't desert his country.
>>

>>Well Raonic was a baby when they moved, and to be fair, Canada did
>> provide for him so has to pay back by playing for them.
>
> you took opposite stance last wk with sharapova, no?

Not really, this is rst, locker room talks, and I would call
Sharapova a Russian even if she had a US passport. So my stance
is the same.

Assimilation is a very long process and a paper doesn't change in
an instant who you really are. It's about race/ethnicity, first
language you've learnt, mind allegiance, and in Sharapova case
all 3 seem to point out she's Russian.

It's absolutely expected for me that Sharapova continued being
Russian, but I'd understand if she opted for USA. It was on the
table, she just didn't.

> anyway, this zverev, wonde who long he's been in germany.

Max claims the younger one was born in Germany, probably true,
while the older one way obviously very little when the family
moved. It was a case of whole family moving, like totally moving
from 90s Russia even before any tennis was in sight.

In Sharapova's case they only moved to further advance her tennis
career, for that sole reason, to go to Bollitieri. That's why I
don't really understand you with Sharapova case. They wanted
tennis, not America. Is that not clear? ;)
Maybe deep down that insults you?

Hasn't Seles been in Bolittieri academy as well? Djokovic and
Gulbis were at Pilic academy in Germany, Kuznetsova trained in
Spain etc.

They're always very young in those academies and do you expect
always that such players denounce their former citizenship?

But even Seles did it only later when war broke out and she didn't
see herself here anymore. She won only her 1996 AO as an
American.

The Iceberg

May 22, 2017, 6:38:25 AM5/22/17
It's usually a good test to ask which side would they fight on if there was a war!

Brian W Lawrence

May 22, 2017, 6:46:40 AM5/22/17
On 22/05/2017 01:59, bob wrote:

> wonder if zverev's grandfather was involved in that little skirmish
> the russians and germans had in the early 40s?

Unlikely. Zverev snr. was born in 1960, so jnr.'s paternal grandfather
was most likely born between roughly 1930-40. His maternal g'father
was probably a similar age, perhaps a little younger.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 7:01:03 AM5/22/17
bob <b...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
But that's exactly Sharapova case. A Russian with a dream of
playing tennis.

She's not someone who liked America and wanted to become an
American. Call her opportunist, but she's not evil because of it.
She paid a lot of money to Bollitieri, made his academy even more
famous, etc, she doesn't owe anyone there, anything I think.

Zverev family otoh seem to have moved to Germany as a whole, they
didn't pursue tennis/dreams, just wanted higher standard, more
safety during Russian crisis, etc.

Young Zverev is second generation German, he's ethnically Russian
but culturally German probably. It's a mix heritage, but uf his
kids are German too, they'd be full Germans.

You should always take an asteroid test to determine these things.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 7:01:03 AM5/22/17
Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:
lol

Each of the republics in former Yugoslavia had a small town named
in honour of marshal tito, ww2 resistance leader that puts French
resistance to shame and later a big leader in non-aligned
movement.

The idea was that each republic honored him with a small town, not
wanting to engage in a huge cult of personality like Americans
(Washington) or Soviets (Leningrad) did.

Five republics (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia)
picked small towns, and it was not even about renaming the town's
name, simply adding prefixes, like Denver > Tito's Denver, but
Montenegro has gone off and renamed its capital.

It was totally classless and everyone considered them to be pricks.

They switched back from Titograd to Podgorica after Yugoslavia
fell apart.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 7:01:03 AM5/22/17
The Iceberg <iceber...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> It's usually a good test to ask which side would they fight on if there was a war!

Yes.

But they can always pretend they're pacifists or say they wouldn't
fight in any war on either side so you confront them with
asteroid test.

Whisper

May 22, 2017, 7:13:40 AM5/22/17
On 22/05/2017 4:21 AM, TennisGuy wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 1:27 PM, The Iceberg wrote:

>>> Both his parents were Russian - Aleksandr snr. & Irina. Both were
>>> also professional tennis players.
>>
>> he's 100% Russian then.
>>

> If you consider Zverev to be Russian, then Roanic is Serbian
> just like his comrade Djoker.
> Only difference is that Djoker didn't desert his country.

And Sampras is Greek.

Whisper

May 22, 2017, 7:19:20 AM5/22/17
On 22/05/2017 5:29 AM, *skriptis wrote:
> Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
>> In case you're wondering if the Germans are now going crazy over their next tennis superstar. No, they're not. Most Germans still don't even know that Alex Zverev exists, although this might change now that he's a top ten player. For some obscure reason it seems like Zverev is perceived by some Germans to be half Russian (which he's not) while Kerber is considered as German (although she is in fact half Polish).
>

> Isn't Zverev 100% Russian, not just half?

You can take the boy out of Russia.....

Whisper

May 22, 2017, 7:21:54 AM5/22/17
On 22/05/2017 6:53 AM, jdeluise wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2017 21:39:25 +0200, *skriptis wrote:
>
>> calim...@gmx.de Wrote in message:

>>> Serena is 100 % African and still Americans support her.
>>

>> I doubt it. US blacks are rarely 100% Africans, it's almost
>> impossible.
>
> I doubt the vast majority of us are 100% anything...

It's a wise man who knows his father......

Whisper

May 22, 2017, 7:40:46 AM5/22/17
On 22/05/2017 8:38 PM, The Iceberg wrote:
> It's usually a good test to ask which side would they fight on if there was a war!

...or who they barrack for in World Cup.

bob

May 22, 2017, 8:10:51 AM5/22/17
On Sun, 21 May 2017 19:32:39 -0700 (PDT), soccerfan777
of course not. if she loved you back, maybe. ; )

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 8:13:18 AM5/22/17
lol. um, yeah max.

so to the point: i'm under the impression many europeans consider
blood before nationality. your thoughts?

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 8:21:43 AM5/22/17
On Mon, 22 May 2017 12:29:43 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
fair enough. what is your cutoff age then? since it's less than 7
(i.e. sharapova), how bout 2? 4?

in fact, i have a good friend who was born in egypt, his family came
to california when he was 2 and he's been here since. he's a huge
pittsburgh steelers fan, devout christian (not that that's relevant)
and as amerian as anyone i know. certainly you wouldn't call him
"egyptian"....

>It's absolutely expected for me that Sharapova continued being
> Russian, but I'd understand if she opted for USA. It was on the
> table, she just didn't.
>
>> anyway, this zverev, wonde who long he's been in germany.
>
>Max claims the younger one was born in Germany, probably true,
> while the older one way obviously very little when the family
> moved. It was a case of whole family moving, like totally moving
> from 90s Russia even before any tennis was in sight.
>In Sharapova's case they only moved to further advance her tennis
> career, for that sole reason, to go to Bollitieri. That's why I
> don't really understand you with Sharapova case. They wanted
> tennis, not America. Is that not clear? ;)

yes, but that's what make it ALL THE MORE compelling - russia didn't
want here, america took her in. it's not like with zverev, he probably
knows nothing of russia, russia is a stranger to him.

>Maybe deep down that insults you?

not in the least. i'm far from one of those people who think of
america as some perfect place.

but i do find her emotions strange, and it has nothing to do with
america, it has to do with this "circumstance" and it could be any
other 2 countries.

>Hasn't Seles been in Bolittieri academy as well? Djokovic and
> Gulbis were at Pilic academy in Germany, Kuznetsova trained in
> Spain etc.

yes, like i said, it's the overall circumstance of how she came to
bollitieri's, and what bollitieri's did for her life.

>They're always very young in those academies and do you expect
> always that such players denounce their former citizenship?

many of them back then came teenage yrs. very different.

>But even Seles did it only later when war broke out and she didn't
> see herself here anymore. She won only her 1996 AO as an
> American.

you seem to think this is an american thing. not at all. it's a
circumstance of sharapova only, her particular circumstance.

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 8:24:56 AM5/22/17
On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:40:40 +1000, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:

>On 22/05/2017 8:38 PM, The Iceberg wrote:
>> It's usually a good test to ask which side would they fight on if there was a war!
>>

>...or who they barrack for in World Cup.

exactly.

good mexican friend of mine got very angry when team USA upset Mexico
in a regional soccer tournament couple yrs ago. he was furious
actually. :-) and that's fine even though he came here illegally at
14 and got an expense paid engineering degree and great job here.

but i think his 4 american born daughters - not so much. in fact they
get irritated (especially the 17yo) when parents ask them to speak
spanish.

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 8:26:21 AM5/22/17
On Mon, 22 May 2017 11:46:36 +0100, Brian W Lawrence
<brian_w_...@msn.com> wrote:

>On 22/05/2017 01:59, bob wrote:
>
>> wonder if zverev's grandfather was involved in that little skirmish
>> the russians and germans had in the early 40s?
>
>Unlikely. Zverev snr. was born in 1960, so jnr.'s paternal grandfather
>was most likely born between roughly 1930-40. His maternal g'father
>was probably a similar age, perhaps a little younger.

at the very least his grandfather was likely a supporter of "uncle
joe" as gracchus likes to call him, no? :-)

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 8:32:34 AM5/22/17
yes, but i said 22, not 7. at 22, he only changed location. her only
knew jamaica, only trained in jamaica, only learned to run in jamaica.

at 7, sharapova learned how to play tennis wholly in tampa. to me,
that's a big difference.

>She's not someone who liked America and wanted to become an
> American. Call her opportunist, but she's not evil because of it.

actually, her dad was the opportunist. she was just a tall 7 year old
girl.

> She paid a lot of money to Bollitieri, made his academy even more
> famous, etc, she doesn't owe anyone there, anything I think.

actually i saw a tv special about her story a long time ago, so don't
recall the details well, but she paid nothing to bollitieri i believe.
he supported her pro bono with only payment being some potential
future winnings (when at 7 nobody has any inkling of this
"potential").

>Zverev family otoh seem to have moved to Germany as a whole, they
> didn't pursue tennis/dreams, just wanted higher standard, more
> safety during Russian crisis, etc.
>Young Zverev is second generation German, he's ethnically Russian
> but culturally German probably. It's a mix heritage, but uf his
> kids are German too, they'd be full Germans.
>You should always take an asteroid test to determine these things.

bob

Brian W Lawrence

May 22, 2017, 9:22:11 AM5/22/17
Would he have had a choice?

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 9:30:03 AM5/22/17
I will say that because of my dislike for over-excessive
individualism in general, I like to ridicule attempts of people
claiming a person can totally choose his or her identity. No it
can't. Rachel Dolezal is not African, Pocahontas Warren is not
native American, and Bruce Jenner is not a woman. Can Zverev
claim he's German? Well, not entirely but legally he's German,
culturally as well, so I guess yes. I was just poking fun at max.
But he's not even of a mixed heritage, he's a Russian guy born
and raised in Germany and immersed in their culture. But would he
pass an asteroid test?

This whole thing with ethnicity, nationality, citizenship,
allegiance etc is very complex. In itself complex, as what should
we even look at.

And then even if we pick what to look at, we face our cultural and
other differences. World is also very complex, you have different
criteria E.g. someone with an Italian father would always be
considered more Italian due to father's line being well, more
important. Otoh Jews place more emphasis on mother's line.

So, a Jewish father, Italian mother, neither side would actually
claim the child, yet, Italian father and Jewish mother, both
sides claim it. Absurd or?

So, let's just say these stuff are complex and not that much
important anyway. Sharapova obeys the laws in USA, and if your
country allows her to be there without being a citizen, well,
it's not her fault. She's done nothing wrong, and in my mind she
wasn't insulting USA if she spoke positively about Russia or
about her feelings. I admit I can't really understand what's
bothering you in her case.

If you ask me personally, I understand her choice, and would
probably do the same. She's Russian and loves her nation, just
wanted to play tennis. Maybe at one point it started being about
the money, maybe Nike prefers her to remain officially Russian,
so covering effectively both markets? She's American enough for
you, and is Russian for her folks. Perhaps it's just money
decision.

Haas is a US citizen as well, so?

But if we discuss only emotional reasons, you once compared her
situation with father kicking her out, and neighbours welcoming
her. And you're surprised she talks positively about her family.
But that's the point of patriotism. Her "family" is more than her
(presumably) non caring father. Sisters, brothers, mothers,
cousins, ancestors, their achievements, sacrifices, shared
history, etc. Whole country, whole people.
One person doesn't mean whole country. Russia hasn't kicked her
out, like you feel it happened. Maybe she's only angry at the
couple of people who didn't give her chance, but if a country was
in bad shape and that forced her to seek her fortunes elsewhere,
an ethnic Russian would rarely be mad at his mother for her being
poor. Would you, honestly?

Maybe some people of different ethnicities who lived there but
don't identify with Russia to that extent would do that sooner.
Georgians, various Balts, Jews, etc. Move away, take new
citizenship etc.

Like it happens everywhere. You said your Mexican friend would
move away if things went bad there. Maybe at one point you'd do
the same if you were forced. But would you like America and all
it meant to you, less?

Sharapova could have started playing for USA and nobody would have
mind it. But as I said, you can expect that sooner from non
ethnic Russians coming from Russia.

I admire her, and that's why I dislike migrations. It takes very
long to assimilate people. :)
And in the meantime, lots of problems.

Patrick Kehoe

May 22, 2017, 10:09:54 AM5/22/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:34:07 PM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:
[Snipped]

Getting back to tennis, a couple of noteworthy Zverev stats: he lost his first two ATP finals and has since won his next four. That is a very impressive upward trajectory.

He has passed Kyrgios in number of titles won, and is second only to Thiem from his generation.

Good post... Zverev just seems so solid and frankly formidable on a tennis court... doesn't seem to matter the surface... Can't wait to see him play on grass...

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 10:30:05 AM5/22/17
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
> On 22/05/2017 13:26, bob wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 May 2017 11:46:36 +0100, Brian W Lawrence
>> <brian_w_...@msn.com> wrote:

>>> Unlikely. Zverev snr. was born in 1960, so jnr.'s paternal grandfather
>>> was most likely born between roughly 1930-40. His maternal g'father
>>> was probably a similar age, perhaps a little younger.
>>

>> at the very least his grandfather was likely a supporter of "uncle
>> joe" as gracchus likes to call him, no? :-)
>
> Would he have had a choice?

Do you have a choice of having unelected head of state for the
past 60 years?

Stalin was at least elected by his party members. Something like
election in USA depending on party superdelegates only.

His brutality might be questioned, but as a head of state he had
more democratic legitimacy than your queen.

Tough to accept?

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 10:30:05 AM5/22/17
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
Our prime minister suffers from the same anemia as Sampras,
typical for the Mediterranean people.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 11:01:02 AM5/22/17
.

Ok, you feel being 7 is too little to have identity of her own. I
get it. And I agree that for a non patriotic person she'd be more
likely to choose USA as it would be natural, having lived there.

However 7 is not that young, and she's obviously very patriotic,
probably feeling she's only there to succeed in tennis.
Regardless of that being her decision or her father taught her
that. Overall I don't find it unusual and I admire her loyalty.

Not very common in females btw.

Bollitieri made a business decision of taking her and it worked
for him and her. It's not that America gifted her anything. And
if it was all just about the money, she's still smart for not
closing the door in Russia, right?

There are worse examples. Just ask whisper how many Australian
Croats were born in Australia and opted to play for Croatia?
Football, ie soccer.

Or a guy that plays for FC Barcelona and a Croatian team. World
class kinda, Rakitic, born in Switzerland, went to school,
trained there but never considered playing for them.

Imagine if Sharapova was born in America. How pissed off would you
been then? :)

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 11:01:03 AM5/22/17
Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com> Wrote in message:
> On 22/05/2017 5:29 AM, *skriptis wrote:
>> Geeam <sonny...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:
>>> In case you're wondering if the Germans are now going crazy over their next tennis superstar. No, they're not. Most Germans still don't even know that Alex Zverev exists, although this might change now that he's a top ten player. For some obscure reason it seems like Zverev is perceived by some Germans to be half Russian (which he's not) while Kerber is considered as German (although she is in fact half Polish).
>>

>> Isn't Zverev 100% Russian, not just half?
>>

> You can take the boy out of Russia.....

I don't get Russian vibe from him to be honest.

Would he smack himself with a racquet like Youzhny? Does he like
to suffer?

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 11:13:14 AM5/22/17
You are a hypocrite. You have been anti globalism for quite a while now. And yet you support immigration when it comes to Sharapova. Well turns out many of us immigrants also have dreams like Sharapova does and emigrate to fulfill it.

>Call her opportunist, but she's not evil because of it.
> She paid a lot of money to Bollitieri, made his academy even more
> famous, etc, she doesn't owe anyone there, anything I think.

And thats what most imigrants do (the legal ones at least). They contribute greatly to the economy or at least the company they work for or the university they study in.

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 11:14:49 AM5/22/17
I would say once you go to 1st grade, you intelligent enough to know the world around you a little bit. Do you even remember stuff from when you were 2? If you are at an age when you can remember stuff, it should count. Sharapova clearly has memories of her childhood in Russia.

Brian W Lawrence

May 22, 2017, 11:28:54 AM5/22/17
"Your caparisons are odious"

England's monarchs have been 'heads of state' since around 927, so
nearing 1100 years. There was a short hiatus from 1649-1660. As you
may know, since 1688 the monarch has had little direct power with
the government elected by the people a constitutional monarchy.

It's a system that works for the UK, though not everyone thinks so.

I may be wrong, but I thought that Lenin 'appointed Stalin as
General Secretary', a decision that may have been endorsed by the
party up to 1934, when the position had ceased to have much meaning.

Wiki: "In 1922, the office of General Secretary followed as a purely
administrative and disciplinary position, whose role was to do no more
than determine party membership composition. Stalin, its first
incumbent, used the principles of democratic centralism to transform his
office into that of party leader, and later leader of the Soviet Union."

There were elections in the Soviet Union during Stalin's tenure, but it
was a one-party state with no opposition permitted.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 12:01:02 PM5/22/17
soccerfan777 <zepf...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
I'm not a hypocrite. I'm not supporting Sharapova. She does what's
best for her, it's basic survival, even animal instinct every
living creature has. It's up to the US to accept her or not. I
never blame migrants you fool.

But you see what happens with migration? Bob is pissed off with
her and probably million of Americans for just saying couple of
things. In the grand scheme of things one tennis career happening
or not is irrelevant.
You have cute (earlier) blonde girl and look how many negaties?
Imagine the negatives with someone who would be really "bad"?

Besides, I'm not telling anyone what to do. It's just that I think
eg Japan with very strict quotas and hardly welcoming any
migrants is a far more reasonable country than Sweden, who are
virtually insane.

In the end, it's up to the people of every country to decide. I
have my preference which model I think is better, and more
sustainable.

The thing is, since America is so important, they set the rules of
the game for rest of the world, which model would be more
prevalent. So what happens in America is kinda important for
everyone. But I never talk about what should happen with America.
It's their own thing.

Wanna asteroid test? How would you like millions of Chinese and
Arabs coming to your ancestral region in India?

>>Call her opportunist, but she's not evil because of it.
>> She paid a lot of money to Bollitieri, made his academy even more
>> famous, etc, she doesn't owe anyone there, anything I think.
>
> And thats what most imigrants do (the legal ones at least). They contribute greatly to the economy or at least the company they work for or the university they study in.

Of course there are some positives. But there are positives in
being 90 years old too. You're wise, seen so much etc.
;)

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 12:01:03 PM5/22/17
Never said it's ideal or even good, but he was elected by his
version of "superdelegates".

Otoh Queen is totally unelected.

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 12:24:17 PM5/22/17
Nothing insane when your population density is only 22 people per km square compared to Japan which is 336 people km square.

Sweden needs more people. So do Canada, Norway and all the sparsely populated Northern countries.

I am sure countries like Bangladesh, India, Japan and China do not want more immigrants. They have valid reason! But perfectly sane for Sweden to get more immigrants.

Brian W Lawrence

May 22, 2017, 1:24:37 PM5/22/17
On 22/05/2017 16:52, *skriptis wrote:

> Never said it's ideal or even good, but he was elected by his
> version of "superdelegates".

Who stood against him? Who elected the electors?

> Otoh Queen is totally unelected.

That's generally the way with Kings/Queens.

If Stalin had been the equivalent of a constitutional monarch the
comparison might be of some interest.

The lowly comrades didn't have any choice, Stalin was a dictator,
and he wasn't benign.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 1:30:04 PM5/22/17
Why would they need more people? They were doing just fine, having
Borg, abba, Edberg, creating prosperous and democratic society
for themselves. Were they missing something?

Northern countries can't accommodate that much people anyway as do
countries in better climate can.

But even if they needed more people why would they needed aliens?
Their state could and should support higher birth rates of their
own population in that case. Not a nuclear science.

> I am sure countries like Bangladesh, India, Japan and China do not want more immigrants. They have valid reason! But perfectly sane for Sweden to get more immigrants.

So rest of the world have to live like sardines as well, in their
own countries, being mixed with foreigners from those countries
that don't know how to use condoms?

I find that aggressive, and consider it a declaration of war on my
country, other European countries and our societies.

Your attempt/desire to swamp us, dilute our national culture and
displace us biologically, is not a bit different from various
historical invasions and conquests that have been constant in
world history.

We recognize it.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 1:30:04 PM5/22/17
Why would they need more people? They were doing just fine, having
Borg, abba, Edberg, creating prosperous and democratic society
for themselves. Were they missing something?

Northern countries can't accommodate that much people anyway as do
countries in better climate can.

But even if they needed more people why would they needed aliens?
Their state could and should support higher birth rates of their
own population in that case. Not a nuclear science.

> I am sure countries like Bangladesh, India, Japan and China do not want more immigrants. They have valid reason! But perfectly sane for Sweden to get more immigrants.

So rest of the world have to live like sardines as well, in their
own countries, being mixed with foreigners from those countries
that don't know how to use condoms?

I find that aggressive, and consider it a declaration of war on my
country, other European countries and our societies.

Your attempt/desire to swamp us, dilute our national culture and
displace us biologically, is not a bit different from various
historical invasions and conquests that have been constant in
world history.

We recognize it.

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 1:30:04 PM5/22/17
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_...@msn.com> Wrote in message:
> On 22/05/2017 16:52, *skriptis wrote:
>
>> Never said it's ideal or even good, but he was elected by his
>> version of "superdelegates".
>
> Who stood against him? Who elected the electors?
>
>> Otoh Queen is totally unelected.
>
> That's generally the way with Kings/Queens.
>
> If Stalin had been the equivalent of a constitutional monarch the
> comparison might be of some interest.
>
> The lowly comrades didn't have any choice, Stalin was a dictator,
> and he wasn't benign.

I like to point out to unpleasant facts.

He was elected, Queen isn't.

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 1:46:18 PM5/22/17
Ask them, you dumbass. Any country which is sparsely populated would need more manpower for sure, especially in the colder parts where not many citizens are willing to relocate.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-immigration-idUSKBN14B1OK

"The addition to the labor force from abroad has alleviated the shortage we still see," he said. "It has increased economic activity in the country, whatever way you look at it, it has been an asset to have taken in so many born abroad."

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 1:50:32 PM5/22/17
Who doesn't know how to use condom? WTF are you blabbering about.

> I find that aggressive, and consider it a declaration of war on my
> country, other European countries and our societies.

Who declared war on whom? Are you retarded?

> Your attempt/desire to swamp us, dilute our national culture and
> displace us biologically, is not a bit different from various
> historical invasions and conquests that have been constant in
> world history.

Can you tell us which village or rock you will live under?

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 2:30:02 PM5/22/17
Having your standard of living rising e.g. 7% or even 50% is not
worth it.

Brexit showed it to you. Sovereign people and nations are not
whores, that they'd sell themselves and destroy their future over
some financial and temporary gain.

Of course, Sweden being ultra lliberal country, infested with
feminism, atheism, moral relativism has lost the
plot.
Their right as well.

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 2:49:29 PM5/22/17
On the contrary Brexit and Trumpers have lost their plot. The World is a global place whether you like it or not. It was always a global place in fact. In fact the Americas (North and South) were built on globalism. If not for immigrants both continents would have had few poor indigenous people.

bob

May 22, 2017, 2:51:07 PM5/22/17
On Mon, 22 May 2017 15:24:40 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
nothing about it bothers me personally, i just find it strange that if
a 7 year old kid comes to a country to follow a dream, the country
gives the child that dream in spades, while the origin basically
deprived the person of that dream (intentionally) - i'd feel
differently if it were me.

the 2 countries in question are irrelevant. i think mary pierce
might've done something a little similar (though at age 20 something)
with france, i completely understood the situation. USTA refused to
let her play fed cup or develop her or some such, she said fine my
mom's french and off she went. more power to her. has nothing to do
with france/usa. just as this has nothing at all to do with
russia/usa. it has to do with i don't comprehend how someone with a
door kind of slammed in their face chooses to go back, and try to take
a dig at the one who opened the door for them. i don't think it's how
i'd handle it.

maybe she's got some bad karma now?

>If you ask me personally, I understand her choice, and would
> probably do the same. She's Russian and loves her nation, just
> wanted to play tennis. Maybe at one point it started being about
> the money, maybe Nike prefers her to remain officially Russian,
> so covering effectively both markets? She's American enough for
> you, and is Russian for her folks. Perhaps it's just money
> decision.

sharapova's father, and her at least once she become older, were
always about the ambition, success and money. that's a given. and
that's fine.

>Haas is a US citizen as well, so?

tax evader? :-)

again, i don't care which countries we're talking about, it's the
concept.

>But if we discuss only emotional reasons, you once compared her
> situation with father kicking her out, and neighbours welcoming
> her. And you're surprised she talks positively about her family.
> But that's the point of patriotism. Her "family" is more than her
> (presumably) non caring father. Sisters, brothers, mothers,
> cousins, ancestors, their achievements, sacrifices, shared
> history, etc. Whole country, whole people.
>One person doesn't mean whole country. Russia hasn't kicked her
> out, like you feel it happened.

from what i understand her tennis federation, which for all intents
and purposes was everything related to any chance of her ever becoming
a tennis player, let alone a star, chose not to develop her. it's a
shun IMO. certainly not the gas chamber, but in her career terms, was
definitely a death sentence for it. while bollitieri OTOH....

> Maybe she's only angry at the
> couple of people who didn't give her chance, but if a country was
> in bad shape and that forced her to seek her fortunes elsewhere,
> an ethnic Russian would rarely be mad at his mother for her being
> poor. Would you, honestly?

the analogy i made with a father kicking me out to do crack while a
neighbor raised me, well, if my father did that he can piss off and
i'll happily thank my neighbor when i win the nobel prize.

maybe you and i just think differently about it.

>Maybe some people of different ethnicities who lived there but
> don't identify with Russia to that extent would do that sooner.
> Georgians, various Balts, Jews, etc. Move away, take new
> citizenship etc.
>Like it happens everywhere. You said your Mexican friend would
> move away if things went bad there. Maybe at one point you'd do
> the same if you were forced. But would you like America and all
> it meant to you, less?

i was born and raised in america. so america means something far more
to me than a meal ticket. for him, it's a meal ticket and he admits
it.

>Sharapova could have started playing for USA and nobody would have
> mind it. But as I said, you can expect that sooner from non
> ethnic Russians coming from Russia.
>I admire her, and that's why I dislike migrations. It takes very
> long to assimilate people. :)
>And in the meantime, lots of problems.

i'm neutral towards sharapova. i wanted her for years to beat serena,
but after 18 straight, i give up. :-)

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 2:54:51 PM5/22/17
this is a post with more intent to inflame than point out a fact,
admit it. hahaha

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 2:58:39 PM5/22/17
On Mon, 22 May 2017 16:41:47 +0200 (CEST), *skriptis
i wouldn't be pissed off either way, i'm fine with maria. i was fine
with pierce. i never liked serena much and she's done more for USA
tennis than, well, anyone perhaps? maybe tied with evert?

i just think it's a strange reaction to have though from maria, i
wouldn't have the same reaction. we're all individuals i reckon.

bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 3:03:20 PM5/22/17
don't lie now. i'm not pissed with her nor do i dislike her. i just
fine her stance odd, and i was coming to think maybe someone in USA
shortchanged her or did her wrong to act like that.

> and probably million of Americans for just saying couple of
> things. In the grand scheme of things one tennis career happening
> or not is irrelevant.
>You have cute (earlier) blonde girl and look how many negaties?
>Imagine the negatives with someone who would be really "bad"?

that's another thing, while she has classically good looks per most
people's standards, and a pretty face, i don't find her very
attractive. way too tall and gangly, odd shoulders, mediocre lower
body. not my type.

>Besides, I'm not telling anyone what to do. It's just that I think
> eg Japan with very strict quotas and hardly welcoming any
> migrants is a far more reasonable country than Sweden, who are
> virtually insane.
>In the end, it's up to the people of every country to decide. I
> have my preference which model I think is better, and more
> sustainable.
>The thing is, since America is so important, they set the rules of
> the game for rest of the world, which model would be more
> prevalent. So what happens in America is kinda important for
> everyone. But I never talk about what should happen with America.
> It's their own thing.
>Wanna asteroid test? How would you like millions of Chinese and
> Arabs coming to your ancestral region in India?

bob

soccerfan777

May 22, 2017, 3:09:57 PM5/22/17
You wouldn't know though since you ever emigrated. You might not have got more opportunities in your home country but you might have got a lot of other things from your country - cuisine, culture, personality to name a few and more importantly determination to succeed from other immigrants from your homeland who inspired you to emigrate and succeed in life.

> the 2 countries in question are irrelevant. i think mary pierce
> might've done something a little similar (though at age 20 something)
> with france, i completely understood the situation. USTA refused to
> let her play fed cup or develop her or some such, she said fine my
> mom's french and off she went. more power to her. has nothing to do
> with france/usa. just as this has nothing at all to do with
> russia/usa. it has to do with i don't comprehend how someone with a
> door kind of slammed in their face chooses to go back, and try to take
> a dig at the one who opened the door for them.

Seriously doubt she had any doors slammed at her. There have many Russian champions who won slams. Maria is not the 1st or the only one. And same applies to many IT professionals from India. They emigrate to US/Canada or other European countries/Australia etc not because there are no opportunities but there are better opportunities abroad.

You are too much of a village idiot who hasn't traveled the world to understand people from other countries. Not everyone is the same. My brother who is highly successful as a doctor in India is refusing to emigrate for many years now. He is making a lot of money and he could make 5 times over here. But he just prefers to be in his own country. Its his decision. People are different. I don't speak for all Indians and nor does Sharapova (for all Russians).
You are still bitter that she didn't play as an American. It shows from your posts. Quit putting on a facade!

> bob

bob

May 22, 2017, 3:21:06 PM5/22/17
that's right. and in russia, they chose who to sponsor, promote and
give the training to. they chose those other russian girls, and told
maria she had no potential basically. that's why her dad said F this,
and left.

> Maria is not the 1st or the only one. And same applies to many IT professionals from India. They emigrate to US/Canada or other European countries/Australia etc not because there are no opportunities but there are better opportunities abroad.

IT professionals though are not 7 year old girls. and they're not
shunned in their country, it just may not have a strong enough economy
to employ them all successfully.

>You are too much of a village idiot who hasn't traveled the world to understand people from other countries.

lol. you imbecile. i'm not going to talk about my personal life but
you've no clue.

now, in terms of being an indian fleeing a stifling economic situation
to come to houston tx and get a job and raise a family, it's obviously
perfectly understandable why you'd like to do it.
i wouldn't want her to play as an american, i couldn't care less, i
don't think i've watched fed cup twice in 20 years.

i don't comprehend this mentality of kissing the ass of the dog that
bit you. you seem to kiss asses of dogs that bit you better than i do.
but you're raja, what do i expect.

quit loving her so much, don't you have a wife?

bob

The Iceberg

May 22, 2017, 3:42:26 PM5/22/17
On Monday, 22 May 2017 03:04:05 UTC+1, SliceAndDice wrote:
> > anyway, this zverev, wonde who long he's been in germany.
> >
> > > People
> > > understand his obligation and he explained that many times so no
> > > one is angry at him.
> > >He has a somewhat foreign accent, even when he speaks Serbo-Croatian.
> > >https://youtu.be/uuNg-uFMtgc
> >
> > bob
>
> From: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/20/john-isner-alexander-zverev-italian-open-tennis
> Born in Germany of Russian stock, Zverev appears to have the hard-wired Russian grit, mental as well as physical, common to people from harsh environments. And, although he has joined the community of tennis exiles in Monaco, he is in no doubt about his allegiance. “My parents moved to Germany in ’91. I wasn’t even born yet. I grew up in Germany, went to a German school, had German friends. I am the most German that I can be.”

hard-wired Russian grit, like Denko?!!

*skriptis

May 22, 2017, 4:01:03 PM5/22/17
I assume you feel America would have been the same if it was
created and colonized by the British and Anglosaxons as well as
by the Arabs or Chinese or Persians? It doesn't matter what
people are we talking about, those are just people?
That's totally naive.

Or perhaps to you it doesn't matter?

Hint:
Spain too is an European country, with few differences from
Britain. Yet even their colonies turned out pretty much different
from USA, eg Mexico or Argentina.

You didn't pick Mexico but America. Why?

calim...@gmx.de

May 22, 2017, 4:14:09 PM5/22/17
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 2:13:18 PM UTC+2, bob wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2017 20:33:27 -0700 (PDT), calim...@gmx.de wrote:
>
> >On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 4:14:55 AM UTC+2, bob wrote:

> >> fair enough, i'm not questioning if he's german or if germans consider
> >> him german.
> >>
> >> i was just wondering how it differed from sharapova.
> >>
> >> bob
> >
> >Sharapova is Russian, dummy!
>
> lol. um, yeah max.
>
> so to the point: i'm under the impression many europeans consider
> blood before nationality. your thoughts?

Not in Germany.
Our national football team has Boateng, Rüdiger, Tah, Özil, Gündogan, Khedira playing for them. Dahoud is set to follow them. Podolski and Klose have been successful in the past.

Petkovic, Kerber, Lisicki, Zverev in tennis.

Not a lot of Trumpian nativism here.

Max

bob

May 22, 2017, 9:59:06 PM5/22/17
doesn't really answer my question. perhaps you pick the best soccer
players cause you want to win, but would you rather see a german born,
german raised soccer player on the german team if possible?

bob

Guypers

May 22, 2017, 10:36:02 PM5/22/17
No, not if Messi and Ronaldo are eligible!

Manco

May 22, 2017, 11:53:51 PM5/22/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:27:08 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

> he's 100% Russian then.

In Europe only blood counts, not being born in the country. Thus, 2 world wars and genocides. If Alex was born in the USA, nobody would be calling him Russian.

*skriptis

May 23, 2017, 6:01:03 AM5/23/17
Manco <musef...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:27:08 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
>>
>> he's 100% Russian then.
>
> In Europe only blood counts, not being born in the country. Thus, 2 world wars and genocides. If Alex was born in the USA, nobody would be calling him Russian.

Europeans would.

calim...@gmx.de

May 23, 2017, 2:12:48 PM5/23/17
Most of them are german born and raised.
And if some of them were foreign born that is OK with me since it is representative for the German populace.

Max

calim...@gmx.de

May 23, 2017, 2:15:38 PM5/23/17
Two world wars and genocide were about 80, 100 years ago. No one calls Zverev Russian in Germany except the usual 5 % Trumpers we even have here in Germany.

Max

calim...@gmx.de

May 23, 2017, 2:17:46 PM5/23/17
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:01:03 PM UTC+2, *skriptis wrote:
> Manco <musef...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> > On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:27:08 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
> >>
> >> he's 100% Russian then.
> >
> > In Europe only blood counts, not being born in the country. Thus, 2 world wars and genocides. If Alex was born in the USA, nobody would be calling him Russian.
>
> Europeans would.

What about the "Mexican" judge who didn't comply with the orange clown's ideas last year?

Max

*skriptis

May 23, 2017, 3:30:02 PM5/23/17
calim...@gmx.de Wrote in message:
What about him?
If that judge had any class he would have recused himself.