Nadals slugs past Thiem, wins 30th Masters title!

stephenJ

May 14, 2017, 3:01:10 PM5/14/17
Firing on ALL cylinders heading in to FO.

Should skip Roma for sure.

---

*skriptis

May 14, 2017, 3:30:03 PM5/14/17
stephenJ <sja...@cox.net> Wrote in message:
> Firing on ALL cylinders heading in to FO.
>
> Should skip Roma for sure.

In theory yes, but since there are no rivals who push him
physically why would he?

He's won 3 tournaments already without any slugfest vs the guys he
fought extremely physically over the years.
No Federer, no Djokovic no Murray, no Ferrer, no Verdasco.

Thiem and Goffin and Ramos etc play well, but they're not
physically there.

It would be wise to skip it, but honestly what harm is there
playing matches he's certain to win?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Court_1

May 14, 2017, 8:22:05 PM5/14/17
Why would he skip Rome? He has the chance to win all five clay events for the first time in his career and he's been winning the majority of his matches in straights.

bob

May 14, 2017, 8:56:58 PM5/14/17
On Sun, 14 May 2017 17:22:03 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
<olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Why would he skip Rome? He has the chance to win all five clay events for the first time in his career and he's been winning the majority of his matches in straights.

if i were nadal i'd made the calculation on how to maximize the FO
odds. not rome, not anything else.

if he needs to rest up at rome to have 1% better chance at FO, then do
it. his legacy is on the line, and he's not ducked any other clay
tourneys this year.

bob

Court_1

May 14, 2017, 9:41:27 PM5/14/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 8:56:58 PM UTC-4, bob wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2017 17:22:03 -0700 (PDT), Court_1
> wrote:
>
> >Why would he skip Rome? He has the chance to win all five clay events for the first time in his career and he's been winning the majority of his matches in straights.
>
> if i were nadal i'd made the calculation on how to maximize the FO
> odds. not rome, not anything else.
>
> if he needs to rest up at rome to have 1% better chance at FO, then do
> it. his legacy is on the line, and he's not ducked any other clay
> tourneys this year.
>
> bob

You know as well as I do he won't skip Rome. Isn't Rome the most similar in terms of playing conditions to RG?

Jason White

May 14, 2017, 10:59:05 PM5/14/17
Everything hinges on the French. If he wins it, nobody will question a thing. If he doesn't win it, for whatever reason, it will be open season of second guessing. Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to carry a long win streak into a major event. Bad luck tends to show up at the most inopportune time.

Court_1

May 14, 2017, 11:09:24 PM5/14/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:59:05 PM UTC-4, Jason White wrote:

> Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to carry a long win streak into a major event. Bad luck tends to show up at the most inopportune time.

Well, that's why you are you and Nadal is who he is(and Gracchus please don't insert a silly comment here!) :) A champion like Nadal thrives on winning titles. It's like a drug. The more he wins, the better off he will be for the FO. Injuries are always a possibility but you have to go for it and strike while the iron is hot.

Jason White

May 14, 2017, 11:56:59 PM5/14/17
Can't disagree when it comes to Nadal on clay. There are always exceptions, and the evidence I'd present would be from team sports anyways. Individual and team sports are very different.

TT

May 15, 2017, 4:52:47 AM5/15/17
He'll play Rome, said so after the Madrid win.

It's stupid and greedy but what can you do but just hope he doesn't
injure himself again.

Whisper

May 15, 2017, 6:42:08 AM5/15/17
On 15/05/2017 5:01 AM, stephenJ wrote:
> Firing on ALL cylinders heading in to FO.
>
> Should skip Roma for sure.

I see Rome as no.2 biggest clay title historically. He has good reasons
to skip it, but be a shame.

Whisper

May 15, 2017, 6:44:30 AM5/15/17
On 15/05/2017 5:13 AM, *skriptis wrote:
> stephenJ <sja...@cox.net> Wrote in message:
>> Firing on ALL cylinders heading in to FO.
>>
>> Should skip Roma for sure.
>

> In theory yes, but since there are no rivals who push him
> physically why would he?
>
> He's won 3 tournaments already without any slugfest vs the guys he
> fought extremely physically over the years.
> No Federer, no Djokovic no Murray, no Ferrer, no Verdasco.
>
> Thiem and Goffin and Ramos etc play well, but they're not
> physically there.
>

> It would be wise to skip it, but honestly what harm is there
> playing matches he's certain to win?

If he skipped it he'd probably be practicing hard anyway. Shouldn't
really hurt him if he can win his matches in 2.

Whisper

May 15, 2017, 7:10:14 AM5/15/17
On 15/05/2017 10:22 AM, Court_1 wrote:
> Why would he skip Rome? He has the chance to win all five clay events for the first time in his career and he's been winning the majority of his matches in straights.

Yes, & he'd just be training harder if he didn't play. May as well
treat it as additional match practice & train less. Unless he's hurting
or feeling jaded he should just keep going.

TT

May 15, 2017, 7:23:56 AM5/15/17
15.5.2017, 13:44, Whisper kirjoitti:
> If he skipped it he'd probably be practicing hard anyway. Shouldn't
> really hurt him if he can win his matches in 2.

And if he can't?

Whisper

May 15, 2017, 7:37:49 AM5/15/17
Rafa knows his body best, & mentally he may want to keep playing
competitive matches rather than rest/train. Winning becomes a habit &
he could carry the form all the way through FO without dropping a set.

When I look at clay records I always look at FO 1st then Rome.

stephenJ

May 15, 2017, 9:20:51 AM5/15/17
Not sure if it's changed recently, but historically, Rome clay has
tended to play a little faster than RG clay. That's because the Rome
conditions tend to be dryer, less humidity than in Paris. So guys with a
faster-court game have fared better there than at other clay events.

stephenJ

May 15, 2017, 9:23:46 AM5/15/17
>> On 5/15/2017 5:42 AM, Whisper wrote:
> On 15/05/2017 5:01 AM, stephenJ wrote:
>> Firing on ALL cylinders heading in to FO.
>>
>> Should skip Roma for sure.
>>

> I see Rome as no.2 biggest clay title historically.

No question. It's arguably the #1 non-slam title, period.

But IMO, with the 10th FO on the line, the risk of injury/fatigue is too
great. I'd skip the IO, but Nadal won't.

TT

May 15, 2017, 9:29:03 AM5/15/17
Yes, MC has traditionally been closest to RG clay, and most predictive
as well.

Pelle Svanslös

May 15, 2017, 9:42:59 AM5/15/17
On 15.5.2017 16:23, stephenJ wrote:
>>> On 5/15/2017 5:42 AM, Whisper wrote:
>> On 15/05/2017 5:01 AM, stephenJ wrote:
>>> Firing on ALL cylinders heading in to FO.
>>>
>>> Should skip Roma for sure.
>>>

>> I see Rome as no.2 biggest clay title historically.
>
> No question. It's arguably the #1 non-slam title, period.

Another vote for that.

--
“Donald Trump is the weak man’s vision of a strong man.”
-- Charles Cooke