Trump’s Budget Scam

Pelle Svanslös

May 24, 2017, 7:50:15 AM5/24/17
All presidents fudge the numbers. But this one represents a new level of
deception.

Today, the Trump administration released a plan to balance the federal
budget over the next decade, and it’s no more plausible than my plan to
become LeBron James. It does reveal the administration’s fiscal
priorities, like deep cuts in spending on the less fortunate and the
environment, no cuts to Medicare or Social Security retirement benefits,
steady increases in spending on the military and the border, and an
abiding faith in the restorative miracles of tax cuts for corporations
and well-off families. But its claim to a balanced bottom line is based
on a variety of heroic assumptions and hide-the-ball evasions, obscuring
trillions of dollars’ worth of debt that it could pile onto America’s
credit card.

It is tempting to dismiss the Trump budget because so much of it seems
unlikely to become law, but it’s still a revealing window into the
administration’s priorities. And just because a budget is declared “dead
on arrival” does not mean it won’t influence the budget that eventually
emerges on Capitol Hill; Trump’s budget may envision larger cuts than
Republican leaders want, but it reflects many of the priorities that
House Speaker Paul Ryan has included in his budgets in the past. It
ought to be taken seriously if not quite literally, to borrow the cliché
about Trump.

It just shouldn’t be taken as evidence of fiscal rectitude or a deep
aversion to debt, which isn’t really what Trump is about. It looks more
like a plan to cut taxes for the rich and spending on the poor, while
covering up the effect on the debt by flagrantly violating Washington
norms. And that’s exactly what Trump is about.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/23/trump-budget-scam-215183

TT

May 24, 2017, 12:56:13 PM5/24/17
Kinda flawed article.... Talking about Trump when in reality this is
basic Republican agenda they're pushing. Very short sighted to blame
Trump on this. If you criticize, blame the Republican congress.

Sort of OT, but another thing that annoys me and which media constantly
gets wrong is "Flynn lied to Pence"... when Pence in fact has been
important part of the coverup himself, lying to the media about Russia
issues non-stop..

stephenJ

May 24, 2017, 1:55:33 PM5/24/17

Why does a European care about Trump's budget? Screwy.
---

Pelle Svanslös

May 24, 2017, 3:20:21 PM5/24/17
That's semantics. It's the Trump cabinet's budget proposal now, no
matter where the ideas came from or who aligns with whom. RyanCare is
now TrumpCare.

The Iceberg

May 24, 2017, 3:29:13 PM5/24/17
Pelle is still very upset about Brexit cos he voted and campaigned for Remain and then same happened with his fave lady Hillary, he a big fan of hers and Trump could solve world hunger and he still be angry at him.

stephenJ

May 24, 2017, 3:40:08 PM5/24/17
>> On 5/24/2017 2:29 PM, The Iceberg wrote:

> Pelle is still very upset about Brexit cos he voted and campaigned for Remain and then same happened with his fave lady Hillary, he a big fan of hers and Trump could solve world hunger and he still be angry at him.

Thanks, didn't realize that's where he's coming from.