Raonic

1 view

grif

Feb 11, 2011, 6:43:32 PM2/11/11
An old head on young shoulders. Very methodical and studied. Think you can
tell that from his interviews too. Looks pretty good when he's dictating the
points with his first strike game. However, his returns and his game in
extended rallies didn't seem that great today against Berankis. Ofc he's got
time on his side.

I'd like to see more of him against good returners and see how he matches up
in the extended rallies (like against Ferrer in AO). I would have said
Murray would be a good test, but at this point in time it looks like Murray
would probably lose to even Donald Young.

Commentators were kinda drooling over Raonic saying he had everything and
couldn't find a weakness. They also took quite a bit of time out to talk
about Fed, commented on him being too stubborn, wanting to do things his way
and maybe not giving Annacone enough credit. Also mentioned how Nadal used
to be his bete noire and now Djokovic could be a bete noire in slams too.

Manco

Feb 11, 2011, 8:10:21 PM2/11/11
I see a bright future for Raonic. 10+ slam winner easily. Sampras on
steroids!

Shakes

Feb 11, 2011, 9:12:40 PM2/11/11

I saw him play against Nadal at the Japan Open last yr, and this yrs
AO too, against Ferrer. I was not too impressed - yet.

His serve, given his height, is not a major weapon. Further, I thought
he was an average mover. That's significant too.

Patrick Kehoe

Feb 12, 2011, 1:24:44 AM2/12/11
> he was an average mover. That's significant too.- Hide quoted text -

He lead the AO in aces... so, there's some upside to his serving...

SliceAndDice

Feb 12, 2011, 1:33:27 AM2/12/11

His serve is not a major weapon? You need to watch him more.

felangey

Feb 12, 2011, 2:18:09 AM2/12/11
>His serve, given his height, is not a major weapon<

Lol. :)

Manco

Feb 12, 2011, 4:16:48 AM2/12/11
Ok you're officially an uber-troll with ridiculous comments like that.
I guess at his height he should be serving 1000 mph?

Vari L. Cinicke

Feb 12, 2011, 10:02:21 AM2/12/11

I think he is right up there in aces for 2011 among the Top 100. I am
guessing that only Roddick is ahead of him and possibly Dolgopolov.

He has the big bombs but likes to vary the serve quite a bit. I think
his movement is an issue and hence his return game but if he can keep
the serve clicking and the big forehand firing, he will have his chances.

Now that he is into the final and faces del Potro/Verdasco, it will be a
real test of his composure and nerves. This tournament is a big positive
for him in any case.

--
Cheers,

vc

Shakes

Feb 12, 2011, 1:16:15 PM2/12/11

I will watch him more But in the two matches that I saw him, he didn't
serve his opponents off the court. For someone who is 6'5", I think
it's not unreasonable to expect a serve like a Krajicek or a Pim-Pim.
At least, that's what's needed to compensate for the poor movement
that is inevitable for a giant.

He hit a fair share of aces against Ferrer, but not as many as I
expect for someone his height and strength, and he doesn't really get
cheap points off his serve in terms of service winners or easy
floating returns.

Normally, through the course of a season, a player will have a few
matches or a tournament where they are in the "zone". Where they play
beyond their current stature, and play up to their true potential.
During that time, they beat the top opponents, as a harbinger of
things to come. Becker winning Wim at 17, Edberg at 19 the AO, Sampras
the USO at 19, Agassi making the FO and USO F at 20, Fed beating
Sampras at 19, Hewitt, Safin winning the USO at 20, Nadal at 19 etc.
None of the players from the current generation has displayed any such
results so far. This makes me believe that even their full potential
is not really close to any of the top guys.

Shakes

Feb 12, 2011, 1:16:29 PM2/12/11
On Feb 11, 11:18 pm, "felangey" <b...@home.com> wrote:
> >His serve, given his height, is not a major weapon<
>
> Lol. :)

See above.

Vari L. Cinicke

Feb 12, 2011, 1:40:25 PM2/12/11

He is doing OK.

Ace Leaderboard

1 Anderson, Kevin 155 11
2 Karlovic, Ivo 145 6
3 Roddick, Andy 130 9
4 Dolgopolov, Alexandr 117 10
5 Raonic, Milos 116 7
6 Isner, John 103 5
7 Lopez, Feliciano 102 6

On a per match basis, he is behind Karlovic, Isner and F. Lo and ahead
of Anderson (who is taller) and Roddick.

All this while he says he likes to mix up his first serve instead of
always going for aces.

He is Top 10 on service games held stat and #1 in 2nd serve points won.

You can measure him against an ace machine like Ivanisevic, I suppose.
But his per match average so far this year of 16.57 is hardly shabby.

RICOH ATP MatchFacts - 1,000 Aces Club # (Since 1991)
Year Player No. of Aces Avg. Per Match
2007 Ivo Karlovic (CRO) 1,019 (entering SF) 20.4
2004 Andy Roddick (USA) 1,019 12.5
1998 Goran Ivanisevic (CRO) 1,065 15.0
1997 Goran Ivanisevic (CRO) 1,048 14.8
1996 Goran Ivanisevic (CRO) 1,477 (ATP season record) 15.4
1994 Goran Ivanisevic (CRO) 1,169 13.8
1993 Pete Sampras (USA) 1,011 10.8

I am not saying that Raonic is heading for the 1000 Aces Club. But if he
plays enough matches on HC and grass this year, he will. Only Karlovic
has outaced him on a per match basis.

Seriously, the kid is doing way OK.

--
Cheers,

vc

Patrick Kehoe

Feb 12, 2011, 2:35:58 PM2/12/11
> is not really close to any of the top guys.- Hide quoted text -

Jezzzz Shakes, no one is saying he's Becker or Pete or Feds... but
he's got a GREAT serve... come on man... ???

SliceAndDice

Feb 12, 2011, 2:42:42 PM2/12/11

He has the potential to be as good as them in the serving department,
imo.

Shakes

Feb 12, 2011, 3:19:59 PM2/12/11

Don't you think it's about time we have somebody like that ? :-) I
mean we used to have at least one such player in every era since the
'70's - Borg, Mac, Connors, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Sampras,
Agassi, Courier, Fed, Nadal etc.

About his serve, his second serve can be improved. His first serve is
very good, no doubt. Maybe, with experience, he will improve it
further.

SliceAndDice

Feb 12, 2011, 3:30:14 PM2/12/11

I could be wrong, but I thought his second serve was superb too. In
fact, I remember posting about it while watching his match against
Ferrer.

jdeluise

Feb 12, 2011, 3:31:44 PM2/12/11

On 12-Feb-2011, Shakes <kvcs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Normally, through the course of a season, a player will have a few
> matches or a tournament where they are in the "zone". Where they play
> beyond their current stature, and play up to their true potential.
> During that time, they beat the top opponents, as a harbinger of
> things to come. Becker winning Wim at 17, Edberg at 19 the AO, Sampras
> the USO at 19, Agassi making the FO and USO F at 20, Fed beating
> Sampras at 19, Hewitt, Safin winning the USO at 20, Nadal at 19 etc.
> None of the players from the current generation has displayed any such
> results so far. This makes me believe that even their full potential
> is not really close to any of the top guys.

I think you have some rather unrealistic expectations, this is just his
breakout year so far!

Shakes

Feb 12, 2011, 3:41:39 PM2/12/11
On Feb 12, 12:31 pm, "jdeluise" <jdelu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe you are right. But I wouldn't say it's unrealistic. By 20 yrs, a
tennis pro's core game is already formed. It's about time we had
another great talent emerge. Nadal was the last and it was 6 yrs ago -
which is about one tennis generation. Before that, we had Fed. Come to
think of it, the generation between Sampras/Agassi/Courier and Fed/
Hewitt/Safin was empty too. The generation of Moya, Kuerten,
Kafelnikov, Scud etc.

Is this just a temporary lull ?

Vari L. Cinicke

Feb 12, 2011, 4:23:50 PM2/12/11

He is leading the tour on 2nd serve points won % for 2011. So he might
be pretty good at this serving thing, if serving stats are any
indication of serving effectiveness! ;)

--
Cheers,

vc

kaennorsing

Feb 12, 2011, 4:28:17 PM2/12/11

I agree... Would be nice to see some talent breaking through, but
don't forget we had Djoker winning the AO at 20 and Potro winning the
USO at 21. Potro may be another Safin, in terms of injuries and shelf
life, and Djoker is comparable to Courier in terms of potential and
time at the top.

TennisGuy

Feb 12, 2011, 4:39:55 PM2/12/11
On Feb 12, 3:19 pm, Shakes <kvcsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't you think it's about time we have somebody like that ? :-) I
> mean we used to have at least one such player in every era since the
> '70's - Borg, Mac, Connors, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Sampras,
> Agassi, Courier, Fed, Nadal etc.

Think of him as a 'North' American. You do "have somebody". :)

TennisGuy

Feb 12, 2011, 4:46:10 PM2/12/11
On Feb 12, 1:40 pm, "Vari L. Cinicke" <variesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Lol. :)
>
> > See above.
>
> He is doing OK.

Yes I would say he is doing "OK" too. :)
In my book, from what I saw of him at the A.O. (and his interview too)
he has all of the strokes covered. His movement is a big question
mark.
But then, Soderling's movement is a big issue too,and look how far
he's gotten recently.

To me, there is a certain optimum "tennis build". He doesn't have it,
and so his potential greatness may be limited at the outset.

I say this as a Canadian too!

Vari L. Cinicke

Feb 12, 2011, 4:55:25 PM2/12/11

Yes, he is very gangly and practically looks scrawny. So did del Potro a
few years ago and he was hitting powder puff serves for a while before
he bulked up and amped up his serves.

Let us see how he does against del Potro/Verdasco. That is a different
league and ought to expose his movement issues. It will really test his
serving skills too.

Raonic appears very composed and calm in his interviews. And he takes
his time on court and doesn't seem to rush his serves. Those are good signs.

--
Cheers,

vc